Gelemis Hotels

• Jetgirly profile photo Jetgirly
  • Reviews: 1226

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rose Pension: Family-Run Guesthouse

I stayed at Rose Pension based on the recommendation of my Lonely Planet guidebook. Rose Pension is one of the first pensions as you enter the village of Patara, and it is about a five-minute walk from the center of the village.

Upon arrival I was greeted by all of the members of the family who run this pension, from the father and mother duo to their nephew and his son. It seemed running the pension was a family affair (although as time went on I learned that most of the work fell on the women). I was taken to my single room which was clean and equipped with mosquito netting (Patara is the only place I visited in Turkey that mosquitos were a problem- must be some kind of micro-climate). The bathroom was also clean and well-maintained.

Over the course of my stay I enjoyed the hospitality of the family. A traditional Turkish breakfast was served each morning, and you had the option of also enjoying their amazing homemade dinners. I got a sunburn after my first day at Patara Beach, so I ended up spending an entire afternoon at the pension, watching the women prepare a huge dinner and picking up some cooking techniques along the way! There is also a comfortable traditional Turkish sitting area perched in a tree (!), and the grounds around the pension are full of fruit and vegetable plants that will ultimately end up on your dinner plate.

Unfortunately, I do have one caveat about this pension: The abundance of plant life around the buildings created an environment very hospitable to insects. Upon arrival I did find more than ten mosquitos inside the mosquito netting for my bed, and both rooms that I stayed in had large spiders inside. If a few bugs don't bother you, I would highly recommend Rose Pension. (PS - I have a terrible, terrible, "diagnosed" phobia of spiders so this was a way bigger deal for me than it would be for most people.)

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, School Holidays
  • Written February 12, 2011
Tip Photo

Enjoy the Turkish Coast at Patara

• Jawnuta profile photo Jawnuta
  • Reviews: 450

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jet Pension: Great place to stay in Gelemis (Patara)

We were staying here for 3 nights.
This was by far the nicest town we were staying in Turkey.
Room was decent size, clean, with AC, bath, balcony w/nice view.
Our host was fantastic taking care of our every need.
We simply felt like we were at home.

Great little pension, clean, inexpensive, spacious, great views, great town, and very nice hosts.

PS.
The name of the town that people usually use is PATARA.
Nobody knows what Gelemis is :-(
Therefore I have all the posts on my Fethiye page, since this is the closest town.
If you like to see the photos (before I update this page) just go to my Fethiye tips and there are plenty of photos and few more tips.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average