Samira

Costs 241% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Samira

Friendliest hotel ever

by TripAdvisor Member miss-figgy

Just got back from a week at the Samira - am missing the people there already!

Rooms are basic but always clean, the view from the hotel is stunning (Kalkan is a beautiful place, in the middle of a bay) but the most important thing there is the staff. As soon as you arrive everyone you meet asks your name and remembers it for the whole stay. There's a really fun atmosphere (special mentions to Life and Captain Jack Sparrow... not forgetting Esan, Ali, Guni, Shazir and of course the manager Ergan - apologies for the spelling, chaps), the food in the restaurant is excellent and service at the poolside bar is friendly and inclusive, so you feel like you are part of a family. Guests are also lovely (with the big tables on the Turkish night helping to break down any barriers).

The communal areas are lovely - the pool is excellent (and always clean, not a dead spider in sight), though was getting a bit crowded with kids towards the end of our stay, there are lots of loungers, benches and bean bags to loaf around on and enjoy the sun (45 degrees last week - phew!).

Rooms in Samira 1 are nice and new but closer to the bar (so suffer from noise), rooms in Samira 2 are older and are a bit basic (and the aircon units are noisy) but everything is clean and tidy.

A really wonderful place to stay if you want a quiet holiday.
Kalkan is a quiet destination - it has lots of shops and, so I am told, over 200 restaurants, but the choice of excursions is limited because of it's location. I recommend Tlos (ancient ruins, with tombs carved into the mountainside) and Saklikent Gorge as an excellent day out.

The place that makes you feel special

by TripAdvisor Member terrimac

My mother, daughter and I stayed in the newly built 3 bedroom apartments and were amazed at the quality of the accommodation considering this is rated a 3 star establishment. What makes the place is the people. They all have the ability to make every guest feel special and genuinely cared for - no matter what time of day or night! They work extremely long hours but never fail to raise a smile.

I would like to mention in particular Life, Ihsan, Hussan, Ali and Goony who made our stay memorable. We'll certainly be back again.

Many thanks fellas

Terri, Katie and Elizabeth

Can't wait to return

by TripAdvisor Member johnsheridan43

Just returned from a dream holiday - we chose Kalkan for its charm, beauty and overall safety and that it does not attract the 18-30 (Ibiza style) crowd - and the Samira based on the wonderfully consistent reviews from previous "serial" guests (who we confirmed DO return year after year).

We too stayed in the newly built 3 bedroom apartments and were amazed at the quality of the accommodation considering this is rated a 3 star establishment. We chose a self catering option as the town (5 mins walk) has a huge variety of high quality but reasonably priced restaurants (our favourites being the Ottoman House - try the mixed meze, Olive Tree and Aubergine) that take advantage of the hillside setting looking out over the harbour or are on the harbour side. Shopping is more like quality boutiques that typical tacky trinkets - without being expensive.

We also have to say a HUGE thank you to the hotel staff who work silly hours but do everything to make you feel very special.

Specific mentions for Ihsan (we wanted to bring him home with us), Life ("oh my life" - with a constant supply of red roses for those 'romantically' minded - or easily impressed/desparate lol), Hussain, Ali and Goony.

Kalkan is a VERY hilly location (which adds to its beauty day and night) so not suitable for the very young or the elderly holiday maker. There is also no sandy beach and one pebble beach - but plenty of beach clubs which are great for those with teenage families and vary in quality but generally excellent - we recommend the Kalamar Beach Club.

One word of caution - avoid the Thomas Cook rep who added no value whatsoever - we asked her to do two things for us both of which were disasters - hire a car (took the money but failed to arrange); and Dalyan Departure - hard sell which got us hooked but was waste of time and money - total rip-off and complaint will be going into their company.

Having said that, nothing could detract from this wonderful experience and we will be returning next year - although may arrange it directly rather than through the travel company.

John, Cathy, Hollie, Sophie and Danni.

A really wonderful holiday

by TripAdvisor Member R.Kemish

We have just arrived back home from a really wonderful holiday at the Samira in Kalkan. My husband, our 18 month old daughter and I all had such a relaxing time and could not have asked for anything more.

As mentioned in nearly all the reviews so far - the staff are so friendly, always smiling and really seemed to be enjoying being there despite their long working hours. They made such a fuss of our daughter and were very kind. They definately helped to make this a great holiday.

We stayed in an apartment which had a bedroom and a living area which included sofas, dining table and chairs, cooker, fridge, etc. There is a supermarket right next to the hotel and so made it easy to buy food if needed. The room was cleaned every day.

The pool area is lovely - with sun loungers, bean bags, etc - and a nice baby pool. It was always clean. There is a small playground as well, although was too hot during the middle of the day to use.

Kalkan is a lovely town with so many restaurants to choose from and every meal we had was superb. Our favourite restaurant was The Old Trading House (both my husband and I thought it was the best meal we had ever had!). We also liked Daphne's, Doyum and the hotel restaurant - Bosphorous - was excellent too. The quaint little streets in the town and the shops, with no hassle from any shopkeepers, was a real pleasure.

We spent a couple of days on the main beach in Kalkan which is pebbles and the water is very clear. You pay 7 lira for 2 sunbeds and the umbrella. It has beautiful views out to see and of the surrounding mountains.

There are a number of beach clubs around Kalkan but we did not use these as they were not really appropriate for our daughter. Other guests spoke of the Kalamar and Kalkan Beach Club as being good places to visit.

Whilst we were at the Samira we had a look at the hotel's new 3 bed apartments, separate from the hotel. They have been made and furnished to a high standard and the 4 apartments share their own pool. They cost £1000 for 2 weeks and would sleep 8. We would definately consider going back and stay in one with our other family.

This was a great holiday and we would definately recommend it to any one wanting a quiet, relaxing holiday and experience a taste of beautiful Turkey and the surrounding historical sites. We wanted to avoid the touristy type resort and this was exactly what we wanted.

Beautiful Turkish Hideaway

by TripAdvisor Member swdom

Have just returned from a fabulous holiday in beautiful Kalkan. We actually stayed in the Samira Deluxe ( having not been able to get into the Samira) but I wanted to include it within the Samira reviews to help clear up the confusion between the two.

The owners of the Deluxe and the Samira are part of the same family but had a falling out so the two places are run very differently.

The Deluxe is situated about a 10 minute walk up the hill away from town but there is a shuttle bus that runs from 9 till midnight which drops you off outside the Samira.

The apartments at the Deluxe were lovely - really spacious and clean and fairly modern, with a huge fridge that they refill everday with water, beer and snacks (get charged to your room but cost peanuts). There are two low level buildings which sit side by side and overlook the beautiful big pool and bar area (which is incidentally open 24hours). The pool was the best I have been swimming in - with plenty of room to do your morning laps.

Turkish breakfast is served by the pool, but there are other alternatives should you get bored of feta cheese and fried eggs.

The snack food at the Deluxes wasn't great so I would recommend going down into town on the shuttle bus where you can get a lovely fresh salad for only £2. We found a fantastic little kebab place called Oz Adana Kebab which is opposite the Samira in town. A real local's institute and I would highly recommend the mixed kebab in a wrap - the best I have ever had - and you get lots of little free salads and sauces on the side!

Should you get bored of the pool at the Deluxe (which is incidentally a lot bigger that the Samira's) then take a trip down to the harbour and get on a free boat to the Mahal Beach Club ( beautiful peaceful hideaway with bathing platforms) or ask the Deluxe to call you a free cab for the Kalamar beach club ( busier than Mahal, more watersports and better for kids).

I would also recommend taking a trip to Kas ( town along from Kalkan and slightly bigger) or to Pataras beach in a dolomus ( though be prepared to pay a small amount at a stop point when you enter the beach area).

The best thing about Kalkan, apart from the breathtaking scenery, are the endless roof top restaurants! A week just wasn't enough to get round them all but our favourites included ;

Belgin's Kitchen - sit on cushions around a low level table on the rooftop and then pop down to the tavern below for free coffee and brandy and a water pipe or two - has live turkish music most nights - our favourite after dinner spot!

Kalkan Fish Terrace - best fish I have ever eaten - romantic, slightly formal setting overlooking the sea.

Aubergine - highly recommend the steak and wild boar - slightly pricier than some of the other restaurants.

Omars - more informal, local restaurant by the sea. Food very good, owner very friendly and excellent value for money.

Alibabas - root top restaurant near to the Samira. Excellent food and low prices with a few little extras thrown in for free.

The final thing I will say is that if you are a couple looking for peace and quiet then I wouldn't recommend staying at the Deluxe as there were a lot of families with noisy kids when we stayed there. However if it is cheap but good standard accomodation you are looking for which offers the best of both worlds then I would definitely recommend a stay here.

Overall good, but with reservations

by TripAdvisor Member clippedwings

Kalkan is a lovely report, with a great (if hilly) setting and a plethora of great restaurants. If you get bored of the town there are plenty of excellent day trips. Eating at the 'better' restaurants is great value for money, although expensive by Turkish standards - we paid c. £40 for two for 2-3 courses, without booze. However, if you eat at some of the smaller, less posh places you can eat for much less.

The Samira is well located, with a decent pool. Rooms are very clean and comfortable, although the showers can be temperamental - we swapped rooms as our first one was either freezing or boiling, the second was much better but was prone to flooding! Air conditioning is provided free, although is middling at best. The public areas, including the pool, are equally clean.

Overall, we had a good stay at the Samira. The staff were friendly and, for the most part, very efficient.

Our stay was soured somewhat by the attitude of the management. We and others complained persistently about the volume of the stereo at the bar during the daytime, when nothing was done about this we complained to the owners. The response of the hotel manager verged on the vindictive, with us being told off for moving sunloungers into the shade, coincedentally some 20 mins after we complained about the noise!

Watch out also for the breakfast - you'll be offered fresh orange juice and a cooked breakfast as you arrive for breakfast on the first day, its not until you sit down that you'll find this is extra....

Nice Hotel, not as friendly as made out

by TripAdvisor Member jofoss

We were lucky enough to be situated in the recently constructed 3 bed apartment situated on the back road behind the hotel complex. The apartment was superb, however we did get forgotten about in terms of cleaning and service, had to ask twice for the apart to be cleaned and staff were quite frosty when I did. I felt that the staff were super unless there was an issue at which point they became quite defensive. And believe me, I was very polite and asked nicely.

The Samira itself is in a super location , just a few mins from town itself. The pool area is nice but there are just not enough sun beds for all, and even those not occupied had towels on them for hours on end!!. When I asked if I could move a vacant bed into a better position i.e. not two inches away from the stranger next door, I was discouraged at best and was made to feel that I was causing trouble!! In the end we retreated to the various beach clubs in town to avoid bad feeling.

Am a seasoned veteran of Kalkan and it's various hotels, this being our 7th trip, yet first to the Samira and while it definitely represents good value for money, I felt that unless you were spending a good amount of time and money in the hotel and at bar, the staff were less than attentive. We came back one evening from town thinking that we would have a nite cap at the bar only to be told that the bar was closed, even though there were others still drinking!!

All in all a great holiday, but not sure that I would go back to the Samira.

Loved the new apartments

by TripAdvisor Member StaraFurzina

We recently stayed at the Samira for a week long holiday. We booked it as a package through Thomas Cook - quite rare for us but seemed like the easiest and cheapest way to organise it.

The accommodation
We were delighted with our accommodation – the new 3 bed apartments are absolutely stunning with great views of the bay and also benefit from their own pool. I really could not fault them and we were thrilled at having so much space compared to our tiny one-bedroom London flat!

The Hotel itself:
The hotel itself was also well looked-after and clean with nice grounds. To be honest we pretty much did our own thing though and only ate at the hotel for the Turkish night (cheesy but highly enjoyable and a good way to meet other guests) and had one breakfast on the terrace. The breakfast terrace is lovely but we were a little bit surprised at having to pay 15 lira for an English breakfast which seemed excessive, especially for a hotel.

I definitely enjoyed my stay at the Samira but my only other comment is that as another reviewer remarked, there was a certain lack of friendliness from SOME of the staff. The vast majority were friendly and efficient. However, I was disappointed on checkout not to even be asked if I had enjoyed my stay and thanked for my custom, a basic courtesy surely.

Kalkan:
We loved Kalkan – a really nice laid-back resort.

Restaurants:
I really don’t think we had a bad meal there but a couple of the best that spring to mind were ‘Coast’ which was superb and also the humble-looking ‘Oz Adana’ on the road that runs alongside the Samira. The pide was fantastic and so cheap – also loved the rice pudding.

Trips:
We went on a boat trip to the islands and to ‘mud bath bay’ which definitely a high point of the trip.

Nightlife:
Er, are you kidding? This is Kalkan. There was rumoured to be a foam party at the ‘No Name Bar’ – we didn’t investigate…

All in all a great trip and I would happily return.

Were you at same hotel?!

by TripAdvisor Member bluehawaii50

We originally booked our two week holiday with Tapestry which unfortunately went bust leaving us to hurriedly book another. We love Kalkan and knew this was the only resort we wanted to go to and so out of desperation we booked with Thomas Cook. They provided a very average service with an extremely average hotel. Yes the staff were nice...until you took your money elsewhere. If you didnt eat or drink regularly at the hotel they deliberately snubbed you. The cleanliness was appalling with flees in the carpets and someones old flip flop sitting comfortably under my bed. Oh the shower...makes you miss the luxuries of Tapestry. I had to sit in the bottom with a tap running over my head, soaking the floor twice daily! Even the other guests were glum, the slightest splash or laugh around the pool was frowned upon, oh and since when did Brits become so obsessed with reserving sunbeds...honestly a sad state of affairs.
We did however visit the hotel where we were supposed to be staying which was just wonderful, yes the climb up the hill to the Mediteran was exhausting but once up there it was tranquil and relaxing with an astounding view...we spent the day up there much to the annoyance of Samira staff and I'll definitely be going back.
We also chartered a gulet from the harbour for 3 days "Romantik" they are extremely reasonable for a day at around £100 (between 9 of us) with lunch and afternoon tea included...excellent! Overnight is more obviously as you need fuel, dinner and breakfast but it is highly recommended.
I'm sure no-one can fault Kalkan its a wonderful place with fantastic people to welcome you year after year...i wish that could be said of The Samira.

KALKAN - TURQUOISE COAST

by rogerwatson

KALKAN TRIP REPORT

My wife and I visited Kalkan during first 2 weeks of June 2002.
We stayed at Samira Hotel, which is in a good location, just above main road into town. Kalkan is set on a hillside and as such would be unsuitable for people with walking difficulties. The main road goes down to the harbour and is lined with lots of shops of all types (souvenirs, clothes etc). There are also numerous restaurants (approx. 150 I believe) catering for all tastes. This was our first trip to Turkey and found that in Kalkan, it wasn’t as cheap as we had expected, but nevertheless, it was not too expensive.
Samira Hotel is in a good location, about 10 mins slow walk to harbour. On this complex there are 2 hotel blocks and an apartment block. The hotel room was typically quite small and only had a small balcony. I feel we might have been better off in the apartments, as they had separate bedroom and slightly larger balcony. Having said that, the complex was spotlessly clean and all the staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms cleaned every day, bedlinen twice weekly. There is a nice pool with plenty of loungers. Also nice poolside bar which serves snacks at lunchtime. Barbeque and belly dancer fortnightly (£10 per head). We stayed B&B, which consisted of Turkish breakfast (rolls, cheese, salami, tomato,cucumber + yoghurt). Orange juice, corn flakes or English b/fast available at supplement. Breakfast served on roof terrace with lovely views overlooking harbour and bay. Would certainly recommend and would stay here again.
You don’t have to go to harbour to eat, although there are some good restaurants there, but are a little pricier due to location. There are some lovely rooftop eateries with fantastic views across bay. Favourites were Havana, Kosk, Aubergine and Korsan. The most we spent (2) was £30 and meal was excellent. After many nights of rich food, we had 2 pizzas one night which cost £8 (incl. Beer). I would also recommend a small family restaurant at side of Samira called Ali’s Restaurant. Prices were very reasonable, food was excellent, and Ali and his wife were extremely friendly.
We were a little worried about amount of hassle we would receive from shopkeepers, but were surprised that the banter was very, very friendly and not at all pressurised. It was a pleasure (in the end) to talk to the people who were always interested in you and your origins.
The people we saw in Kalkan were, in the main, older people ( 30 +). Not many youngsters, although there are a couple of café bars and 1 disco ( I believe). Didn’t see too many children, although there are facilities at Samira for them (volleyball, basketball, table tennis). We met many couples who visit yearly (or twice yearly) and have been visiting for a number of years. Approx. 350 Brits now live here, although property prices have doubled over last few years.
Kalkan is very picturesque with lots of intertwining streets full of different shops
There is an ATM and bank on main street, although we met someone who couldn’t change Thomas Cook traveller’s cheques there (they had to go to Kas – 30mins in dolmus)
Spent 1 day on lazy boat trip around bay – very enjoyable. Also visited Saklikent Gorge and Tlos which was another very nice day out.
The only down side I can think of re Kalkan, is the 2 hour ride from Dalaman airport, but I think most people would think it worth it
All in all, an extremely enjoyable holiday, which I think we may well repeat on future occasions
I am in process of putting some photos on internet at following address, but it is taking me some time. Should be completed by end of week

Any info required, please ask

Red mullet.Red mullet.

Pink cylinder sponge.Pink cylinder sponge.

fragmentsfragments

BezirganBezirgan

Nice Hotel in Kalkan?

by OzgurEY

Hey guys,does anyone know a nice , kind of family hotel,which doesnt need to be big or magnificient,just clean and close to centrum in Kalkan?The name , telephone or web adress from the hotel,thanks already.

by dreameffect

hotel pirat. it is a lovely hotel cheap and clean.

by Tdiver

Hi there yry this sire,22 hotels on it.www.kalkan.org.tr

by OzgurEY

So guys ,
you are so fast thanks , i am on my way to check them rigth now,thank you very much...

Re: Nice Hotel in Kalkan?

by Bestie

Hi,
Now own a house in Kalkan but for 5 years went to the Samira Hotel. Very child friendly and have 1 and 3 bed apartments as well as hotel rooms. Close to Centre of town. Still call in for a drink or lunch

Comments