Amphora

Travelocity Priceline.com Booking.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Kas

Mixed Meze at Bi Lokma, KasMixed Meze at Bi Lokma, Kas

Street where the elusive Deli Kofte is to be foundStreet where the elusive Deli Kofte is to be found

Entrance to Sultan Garden RestaurantEntrance to Sultan Garden Restaurant

view from our tableview from our table

Kaş- town or peninsula

by LostinParadiseTR

I'm thinking of a weeks holiday in Kaş in the autumn (late Sept or early Oct). I wondered if anyone who knows the town could advise me of the pros and cons of staying in the town itself or out on the peninsula? I dont want to just sit on the beach every day ...I want to explore the town, and organise trips to Elmali and Yeşil Göl .... and maybe other interesting places. But I am wondering if I stay in a town center pansiyon or small hotel .... will there be a decent place to swim in the sea nearby? Also, which are the quieter parts of the town center (or is it all fairly quiet?)

by Hobbis

We spent 10 days in Kas last October and loved every minute. It is a working Turkish town with Tourism a lot of Turkish people seem to Holiday there. It is genuine and very clean it is buzzy without being loud just cafe and restaurant chatter. Lots of cafe and plenty of places to eat in the cobbled streets. The harbour has a mix of ferries and local sail boats to other Islands. In the sqaure the local Turksih families come out after work and at week-ends. Kas is natural it hasn't been manufactured like Kalkan. We stayed in the Town which was the right thing for us, but I believe the transport links to the peninsular are quite good. We would love to go again but the trek from the airport puts us off, that is the only critism I can make. There is definetly a divide between people who love Kalkan and people who prefer Kas. If you want a mock mediteranian resort than Kalkan is best we went for the day and hated it.

by Hobbis

Sorry forgot to answer your question about swimming. There is a club in Kas that has a restuarant and lido where you can hire beds etc, there are also a couple of beaches which are a short bus ride, catch the Kalkan bus on the main road or from the bus station.

by TheAndos

We stayed at the El Hilal http://www.korsan-kas.com/home_engl.html, Sulo is a great host, collects you at the bus station, cooks in the roof garden, free internet. It is a few mins walk into the town but quiet. There were trips from Kas but we were travelling and only stayed two nights. Enjoy.

by LostinParadiseTR

Thanks for all replies. I found a website offering early booking discounts (before 31 May) so went ahead and booked at Kayahan in the town center. It has alot of good reviews on the tripadvisor website.

by KasPriestess

When I came to Kas for the first time I stayed in a pansiyon. Soon I had to change it because of lack of cleanness. The second one happened to be not better. So I changed it also. And again... It continued untill I found out that the best way is to rent an apart (if you plan to stay longer than 1 week). Nevertheless the problems in the beginning, I stayed in Kas not a week as I planned but a month. And now I came to Kas to stay in winter or maybe longer... The quiet place I found is in Cerciler (Cherchiler). I have friends who can help you with accommodation. And when you are here we can explore the town and the beaches togather.

Travel Tips for Kas

facing greece ...warm sweatness of the landscape!

by cbeaujean

high quality and romanticism of the scene on backstage,MEIS in turkish,KASTELLORIZO or MEGISTI, in greek,the farest east greek island...2,5km from kas,9km2,230inh.

in kas,until the years around 1920,many inhabitants were greek...then,turkey and greece repatriated their citizens,under compulsion...
old houses architecture looks greek...

AryKanda

by sandysmith

Well off the beaten tourist path this place - we made a detour here on our road trip round the Taurus mountains. Its located near the small village of Aykiriçay, on the Elmali-Finike road and if you can get to this site then its well worth the effort - free entrance too. The unique Lycian city of AryKanda was built upon five large terraces ascending a mountain - so you need to walk a fair bit here to view the site. Arykanda was known for having the most pleasure and entertainment-loving (and debt-ridden) citizens. The site overlooks a magnificent valley and its view makes it one of the most spectacular sites in Lycia - wish we could have seen more of this but we visited in a thunderstorm with dark clouds hovering over us. I would like to go here on a better day as there is so much to see, including:-
BATH COMPLEX - largest bath complex in Lycia, on the lower terrace. Some mosaics here too
AGORA - some shops still evident
AMPHITHEATRE
ODEON
STADIUM
NECROPOLISES - there are two with a variety of tombs to see
BOULEUTERION - where the council met

Patara Beach

by Melisin

It is 18 km. long beautiful white sand beach about 30 min. away from Kas by minibus. (27 km. Kas). There is about 10 busses every day hourly to Patara beach. If you go to Kas, never skip to see beautiful Patara Beach.

Market Day

by sandysmith

Friday is market day in Kas - so its well worth combining a visit to Kas to coincide with the Friday market. The market is situated at the top end of the town, adjacent to the bus station. Bargains can be found with clothing and leather goods in particular - or just browse and enjoy the local colour of the spices and teas and market traders. Its the same market that is in Kalkan on a Thursday.

Cayagzi beach / Andriaki.

by Tdiver

Not really much unless you look for the old store houses and tombs spread about all down the valley.Used to be a very busy port,with many store houses.Now called Cayagzi this is probably a better place for a swim just after St.Nicholas' church and Myra,with its 1km sandy beach.

Comments