Sonas Alpina Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Sonas Alpina Hotel

good and bad

by TripAdvisor Member dazzle58

just got back wed 11/07/07 .The hotel is basic and the food is salad,cheese,rice ,chips,meat of some kind most days,the bread is beautiful,the drinks are plentiful but often run out.We enjoyed the trips that are on offer but dont book through the hotel you can get it cheaper if you go to the small booking agent up the road on the left,we did,the boat trip which was first class and had a turkish bath,Josef was amazing best massage i've ever had.
Have your photo taken at sunset the photographer is very good and you wouldn't get the quality of photos for the price we paid in this country.
This resort can only improve through time, there is a long way to go,not recomended for familys with young kids there's not much for them to do no adult entertainment either,plus the 2 hours transfer time is tiring especially if you have a late night or early morning flight.
If I had looked more into this hotel I doubt very much we would have went but we did have a good time mostly thanks to the people we met,there was a lot of complaining some justified but as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Near Death by Diarrhoea

by TripAdvisor Member JamesEastSussex

Date of Stay: 25th May to 1st June

We have taken a while to write this review because we wanted to write to Goldtrail first to voice our complaints. Having just received their unsatisfactory reply we felt that a review would at least prevent others from suffering a similar fate.
We, along with most of the guests at the hotel, suffered from a severe attack of sickness and diarrhoea that lasted all week and for another week after returning home. Doctors were called to the hotel and I ,and at least one other guest, was hospitalised for treatment.
Goldtrail insist that the infection would have been caught from outside the hotel. They also state that they have no evidence that any other guests at the hotel suffered any illness - it would have been harder to find anyone who was not suffering! Clearly, this is either a blatant lie or ,perhaps, the reps did not pass on the long list of names of sick people to their employer. After complaints, the rep did try to imrove things - air conditioning was put in the dining/serving area and dishes were covered throughout the day but I suspect that the recycled leftovers and the hot sun had already done for most of us.
We agree with most of the complaints about the hotel voiced by other guest reviews except for two things - firstly, we had no entertainment at all , and secondly - on the whole we found the staff helpful and pleasant - perhaps because we were the first set of guests - after hearing numerous complaints they may have become a little frustrated and less friendly.
We will certainly not visit this hotel again nor will we use Goldtrail again - not because we suffered such a miserable holiday but because they have responded to our complaints in a patronising and dismissive manner. What happened to customer service? Don't go there!

Bargain Bucket Hotel . . . .bottom of the bucket !

by TripAdvisor Member hongkong9

We booked this holiday purely on price ( 236 each ) so I guess we got what we payed for.
The single member of staff to check everyone in following a 2hour 20minute transfer wasn't the best of starts. Basic rooms are adequate if clean, but the bathroom/shower was disgusting.Towels were changed but we got the feeling we got someone elses' on more than one occasion.
The lifts are "a bit naughty" with no internal doors so I'd be wary if I had young kids. Food was always plentiful but you can only eat so many plates of salad, chips and cold meats. There was the odd good meal and the bread was beautiful. Desserts were sloppy and 'orrible but what do you expect in Turkey?
Some of the staff were very surly, but some were helpful and curteous. My biggest gripe was the air-con . . or lack of it. It was hopeless and you just could not get cool.
I've done "bog standard" many times in Greece and they're way ahead of the Sun Garden. That said, for every Sun Garden, there's probably a dozen or more in the area who're much, much better. My advice . . . . go to Greece.

This hotel is the pits

by TripAdvisor Member SlickSpiv

My partner and I who have not been together for long, decided to go to the Sun Garden for our first holiday together. What a disaster. After being delayed at Manchester Airport and arriving at the hotel mid morning on the next day, we were very tired. Reception could not cope with a coach load of people arriving at the same time, so they sugested we went for some breakfast. A bad idea. The food was cold and if you don't like eggs, then forget it.
We were shown to our room which was smelly and had mould in it as well as the bathroom. The linnen on the bed looked dirty, the room was small and the balcony was just about big enough to fit two chairs in and again was dirty.
The lift was unsafe as there was no inside door to close. The pool area was small and not enough sun beds, so people were laying round the crouded pool area with bags and their belongings all around, making it a health and safety issue.
We complained to the rep, who didn't really want to know. My partner complained to the reception, who were rude to her and the manager just walked away, again not interested.
We tried having a glass of wine at the so called pool bar and the glasses were dirty and the white wine warm. We even tried another meal which was disgusting.
How this hotel can be classed as a 3* plus, I will never know, as I wouldn't even give it a 1*. I have worked in the travel business myself and have stayed in hotels from 2* to 5* and this is the worse I have ever been to.
My partner and I could not stay there and paid another £200 to go to a 4* hotel which was lovely. Goldtrail would not even pay for our taxi fare. We know the holiday was only £250 each, but expected a little more for our money, being as it was advertised as a 3* plus.
We contacted Goldtrail, who didn't want to know and will not pay us a penny.
After reading reviews other people have made, it seems we are not the only people dissatisfied. At the time we complained, there were at least another 12 people who were complaining. One lady who had taken her teenage daughter to this so called hotel, opened the door to their room to find a naked man in the bed. I know you can make a joke about it, but it wasn't very funny to her or her daughter.
If anyone would like to contact me about getting together to complain to Goldtrail, then I would be glad to hear from you.

honeymoon from hell

by TripAdvisor Member ThenewMrs-H

Upon arriving in Antalaya we were advised that the transfer was 3hrs to the hotel not the original 1 and a half as advised. It then went from bad to worse. We arrived at the hotel only to be greeted by the smell of bad sewers. The room we were allocated had not been cleaned from previous occupants. Dirty bedding, bins not emptied, cups and somebodys shorts. What a start to our honeymoon. Its was 7.30am and all we wanted to do was sleep. We were advised that the rep would arrive at 9.00am. Which she did but there was a Q to see her as there were many other disgruntled passengers. Angie, the rep said she would sort us out a nice room. It was 1pm before we got in a room and even then it had TWIN BEDS and wasn't much cleaner than the last one. Our towels were only changed once the whole wk and instead of relacing two we only got one back. The air conditioning didn't work therefore we had windows wide open every night. To top if off my husband had his wedding ring PINCHED from the room.
The food wasn't up to much either. We had breakfast twice, I think that says it all. Lunch and Dinner was much the same, rice, chips and meat dishes (although never knew what these were as did not have labels) and selection of salads. Entertainment well there was none, a rather annoying song was played every night followed by approx 15 -30mins of kids action songs. The AI only included certain drinks no cocktails and could only have AI upto 11.00pm. No bar snacks or ice cream available.
The only good thing about the holiday was being away from the hotel. We made our holiday by going on various trips, white water rafting, manavgat boat trip and turkish night although I would recommend you to buy outside the hotel as you can get for half the price two mins down the road.
In all it was THE WORST holiday I have ever had.

Not a Turkish Delight!

by TripAdvisor Member garyLondon_ish

WORST HOTEL EVER!

Please don't read this and think that I am over reacting, I swear this is the worst hotel I have ever had the displeasure of staying in.

Stayed for a week in July 2007, booked through Goldtrail being told we would be placed in a 3* plus hotel. The Scum Garden, sorry Sun Garden is no where near 3*, it is struggling to be a 1*.

The hygiene of the hotel was despicable, our first room stank of urine, along with much of the hotels walkways and facilities. The towels were repulsive and the bed sheets are only changed on request and looked like they had been taken from the room next door.

The food was average to poor and often stony cold. The bread was nice, needless to say that wasn't cooked on site and was brought in by a man on a moped. The table clothes were not changed ONCE.

The staff were fantastically rude. It would appear that customer service has not reached Turkey yet and the management were hilariously incompetent, physically removing children from the pool when the manager had a date coming to eat in the hotel by the poolside to ensure his peace and quiet. The Goldtrail rep was also wasn't very helpful (probably because she had her work cut out with disappointed guests).

The air conditioning in the rooms does not work. It blows hot air at an unbelievable loud volume preventing you from sleeping due to the heat and the noise. The frequent power cuts (hourly for 2 days) also add to the shanty-town affect. The lifts also have no internal doors making them very dangerous for children.

I really could go on for along time. Please do not feel that I am over exaggerating. This hotel really really is abysmal. Please DO NOT
STAY THERE!!! we cannot allow companies like this to continue to take
advantage of tourists.

Do not be put off visiting Turkey, but DO NOT USE GOLDTRAIL OR SUN GARDEN HOTEL.

Gary

WARNING STAY AWAY

by TripAdvisor Member ScotlandOscar

the sun garden is the worst hotel i have ever been , the rooms are very small and dirty with no aircon that worked.The food was not my cup pf tea but if you were hungry you ate it.The plastic cups they give you r filthy and have teeth marks on them.This is not a3 star+ hotel not anywhere near it i have been to better 2 star hotels.no entertainment at night but a nice bar which does food next doorUnless you go in to alanya at night (25 mins by bus) theres not much to do at this hotel. bedding and towel change r a no go and if you do there probably someone elses! Goldtrail have a lot to answer for i would avoid this hotel at all costs!

sun garden alanya

by TripAdvisor Member lizliz

5 hour delay from belfast 3 hours on coach we were told it would be 1 1/2 hours the apartments were less than basic but clean only one electric socket in the whole apartment and one cupboard to keep clothes in that smelt like a urinal and air con blew hot air and was noisy and not enouhg room on balcony for 2 plastic chairs main road death trap to get across to beach
the pic on website is hotel next door!!!

NOW FOR GOOD POINTS!!!

Ozzy the entertainer aka the cucumber man was fantastic!!! we had a 15 yr old and 13 yr old all the children got on brilliantly and shared things, because hotel is 10 miles from alanya city everyone tended to stay in hotel and mix with other holiday makers
we met loads of other families and had a fantastic holiday just didnt spend much time in apartment we liked the food it was a bit repetitive but it was always fresh the maids were excellant bedding was changed everyday and fresh towells were laid out in shapes of swans and some of other guests had rose petals scattered on their beds

the staff were very friendly but u had to be out of pool by 6.30pm in order for cleaning the all inclusived ended at 11 and u could pay for ur drink the only downfall was that it was in plastic tumblers uness u paid at nite

the bar next door charges less if you tell them that you will be staying for while the bill for 8 of us and 6 children was £20 for whole nite for each couple

beware of cocktail if its ur birthday or special occasion next door they put drugs in ur drink!!! as they rnt illegal they r free to give away only if you sell!

overall was a great holiday the kids have stated it was their best ever and cried coming home!!! Ill definately be back although room for improvement!!!

Nothing wrong with hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member trcBelfast

i had a great week in this hotel! ignore bad revceiews-remember...most people who write reviews are those with negative comments and have payed for a late deal and expect the hilton!( we had people complaing about our hotel before we got there because they ahd read bad reviews.

Food- was great, for breakfast there was cereal, breads, fruits, sauasages , eggs etc and the chef made pancakes by the pool with syrup and nuts to put on top and as much as you want!

Lunch- again breads, fruits , kebaps, chicken dishes, rice , pasta , lasagne, chips etc....

dinner- all the foods as above and lots more, lots turkish foods to try and by the pool the chef cooked different dishes, fish, or burgers, turkish bread etc.

perhaps if you were fussy eater it mite seem poor- but theres always chips!!!

drinks- as much wine, beer, water, soft drinks or local spirits as you can drink! and yes they are in plastic tumblers- but given that drinks are at the poolside with children running around it is def better than glass!!

entertainment- there was a kids disco everynight and rep informed us that they are currently working on adult entertainment!

rooms- cleaned everyday, spacious for a hotel room, clean towels given, my only complaint was that the air conn didnt work and so we hired a fan from the shop- our room was like a wee sauna!

hairdressers and shop on site and the owner of shop's husband has a spa and u can get turkish bath with massage etc for 25euro with free taxi transfers.

Location- it 's about 20min drive fom the centre but a bus passes hotel every 10-15min and only costs about 40p . centre is nice but save lots money by being all inclusive!

beach- less than 1min walk from hotel, like others have meantioned there is a busy main road to cross, but they also failed to meantion that there is a guard employed at the gate who escorts you across. Free sunlongers for hotel guests and free drinks as well on the beach.

we paid £270 all inclusive and so i was very happy with the hotel! if you dont pay for a fantastic hotel , you shouldnt expect it!!

Nowhere near as bad as I had expected!!

by TripAdvisor Member musicgirl650

I went to the Sun Garden with friends, there were 6 of us in total. The holiday was booked less than 2 weeks before we were due to leave at a bargain price of just over £600 each for all inclusive, at this price we weren't expecting the standards of the Savoy!

To be honest, the worst part of the holiday was probably the coach transfer, we had worked out ourselves that it was going to be in the 2 hour region and it was (including a short comfort break).

First impressions, were not great it had to be said, but once we had a sleep (night flight to be recovered from) we actually felt a lot better about the hotel.

The rooms, I can only comment on the three rooms we had as a party, were basic and had pretty poor air conditioning but they were all clean.

The hotel itself was looking a bit tired and needed a serious paint job but it did the job for a 2 week cheapy holiday!

I have NO complaints at all about the staff, every member of staff was absolutely lovely, they may not have all spoken fantasic English, so a little patience and kindness was needed, which some of the other people staying at the hotel really needed to try much more often! But we found the staff to be obliging and helpful.

The lady who cleaned our rooms was lovely and always granted our requests for a bedding change or a towel change as we wanted.

The food was a serious bone of contention with many of the guests at the hotel, but I can honestly say the food was as good as we have had at any all inclusive hotel in Europe. Breakfast there was 4 or 5 choices of cereal, a good choice of meats and cheese, bread, jams and also some cooked dishes.
Lunch and Dinner had a huge selection of salad dishes, rices, pastas, meat dishes and vegetable dishes which I have to say were all very tasty and always hot and plentiful oh and if its your thing, there were chips too!!

Some evenings the bbq was going with fresh fish, kebabs and kebab type of meatballs which were also excellent!

The drinks were always served in plastic beakers, which i have no problem with during the day as obviously its a safety issue with drinks being taken to the pool side, but it would have been nice on an evening to drink out of a glass. Weirdly after 11pm when you had to pay for your drinks they were served in a glass!!

Talking of the pool area, it was tiny for the number of guests and I am not the sort of person unlike many others who are willing to get up at stupid o' clock to secure a sunbed with my towel. We spent everyday at the beach, which was much quieter in terms of bodies!

The hotel provided free sunbeds to use on the beach but we treated ourselves to the ones provided by the beach bar at 5 Turkish Lire a day for a bed and an umbrella it was not going to break the bank and a bit of comfort never goes a miss. I know a lot of guests had a problem with crossing the road, which is at times busy, but it certainly is not a death trap and the security men on the gates were ALWAYS there to escort us across safely.

The first appearance was that the hotel was in the middle of nowhere, but within a 15 - 20 minute stroll there were a choice of real quality restaurants and bars, with the most obliging and lovely staff you could ever meet.

Well worth trying is a restaurant called H & K they had a good choice of pasta, pizza, steaks and really delicious traditional Turkish food, there really was something for eveyone and with beers and as much food as you could probably manage it was still coming in at less than £10 a head!

The Mahmutlar market on a Tuesday was worth a visit and it starts about 100 yards at the back of the hotel and finishes near the good selection of bars and restaurants. The stalls were much of a muchness but we had some real fun bartering for a few bargains! All of the stall holders were friendly and loved the bartering as much as we did.
Alanya itself is a busy resort and we took the trip on the dolmus for 1.5 lire. There are some lovely restaurants around the harbour and once again the staff are superb.

We went on a couple of trips whilst on holiday and these were booked through the rep. I have to say I have no idea if she was good at her job or not as I don't ever go to the welcome meetings! But I do have to say the trips were not good!

We booked the Manavgat boat trip and the Turkish night, the boat trip wasn't good, two hours on the coach to get there! Really this was a waste of a day I think!
The Turkish night however was a good night out, but once again we were sat on a bus for a lifetime!

Will I go back to Turkey...absolutely YES
Would I go back to the Sun Garden, erm probably not but if you want a cheapy holiday with a fantastic climate then you could definitely make the most of a basic hotel.

Mahmutlar CentrumMahmutlar Centrum

Villa JanetVilla Janet

Out having breakfast at the mountain top restauranOut having breakfast at the mountain top restauran

Out with friends on the Dim Cay RiverOut with friends on the Dim Cay River

looking for accommodation in Mahmutlar

by sandie1

Can anyone who has been to Mahmutlar recommend somewhere to stay in this area?

RE: looking for accommodation in Mahmutlar

by Gokcecicek

If you are looking for a hotel check this site: http://www.antalya-ws.com/english/hotels/hotels.asp?loca=08&out=1

Otherwise if you google Alanya & Mahmutlar you can find many property to buy or to rent.

Best,