Palm Court

Ayvalik HousesAyvalik Houses

Ayvalik HousesAyvalik Houses

Tas KahveTas Kahve

by Alisaaa

Thnx a lot...well i think it doesnt matter the place anyways we'll have fun wherever we go :)

RE: :)

by AlperIst

Hi Alisa,

If you can receive TRT-2 TV channel from Gostivar, please watch the documentary "Ayvalik'ta Zaman-Time in Ayvalik" this evening at 22:30. You will like it even you don't understand Turkish.

Best wishes.
Alper

Travel Tips for Ayvalik

Timarhane Adasi (Island Of Fools )

by traveloturc

This small island is situated just in front of Camlik bay. and this small island was used as a pyschological center to cure the fools and some alcoholics.They belive that he wind has some effects to cure the psychologically disturbed people..
The greek name is Aghia Paraskevi and the turkish name is Tasli manastýr ( monastery of stones ) because there is also a small monastery .
The wiew is fantastic ...

Cunda Island - The Bayside

by June.b

As I was saying in my previous tip... I was mad at my local friends for not telling me that we are about to walk 5 to 6 kilometers from the centre of Ayvalik to Cunda Island. I thought we were just strolling along the boardwalk, I only found out when we were already halfway.... and yes...there is a bus.

Well, they wanted me to practice my photo-shooting expertise (?)....as I was taking photos every now and then. It was worth it, though I got a little tired, because there are lots of good views around the area that you may not be able to see if you'll take a ride.

Cunda Island is very nice, with it's boardwalk restaurants and a nice view of the bay and watch fishermen doing their thing in the morning.

Most tourists are locals and maybe some Greeks from the nearby greek island.

CUNDA is a part of the Ayvalik Island group and the biggest of them all.

Going back to Ayvalik centre from Cunda - we hitched a ride, well, not really that hard to get a free ride.

An old pick-up truck stopped over and gave us a ride til Ayvalik central.... really nice people...Turkish.

The Church of Profitis Ilias

by traveloturc

The Church was build in 1835 on the highest point of the city.But was severly damaged in the earthquake of 1944.The bell was trasferred from the church of Panaiya from Alibey island ( Cunda) in 136 in order to alert the people from the war attacks.Now the bell is preserved in the museum of Bergama ( Pergamum)
In 1952 the tower was tear down from natural weather conditions

Saint Nicholas Church

by June.b

Very near the Cunda Bay, we walked along the narrow streets of Cunda and end up in this old abandoned church called St. Nicholas Church, that's what the children that resides inside the compound of this church say. I could only understand the word Nicolai, so I presumed it's St. Nicholas Church...and I was not wrong.

The St. Nicholas Church in Cunda is an imposing building that you could easily see from afar kilometers away before reaching Cunda bay. I thought at first that it is still functioning, or a mass is still being held in this church, but when we get there I could only see a building structure and peep inside it through the window of steel bars.

There are kids playing at the side of the church and some residential houses inside the compound.

I can't find much information on the church history but it used to be an greek Orthodox church, the painting of saints' figures on the front walls are still very visible and the cross carving. The ceilings may have been grandiose. Nothing much is left in the church except for building itself.

It's a pity because it's a wonderful piece of architecture, I juz wish they could have preserved the inside and maybe the furnishings way back it's time - a nice piece of attraction in the area.... but may soon be just an olrdinary ruin similar to what you will see in Ephesus.

Cunda İsland

by traveloturc

Cunda Island, also called Alibey Island, (Turkish: Cunda Adası, Alibey Adası; Greek: Εκατόνησα Hekatonisa or Μοσχονήσι/Moshonisi) is a small island in the northwestern Aegean Sea off the coast of Ayvalık, part of Balıkesir Province of Turkey. With an area of 23 km², it is by far the largest island in the Ayvalık Islands group. It is located 16 km east of Lesbos, Greece.
First information about the island comes from Herodotes in 454-459 BC.This is also the land of Aiol in the history ..
Cunda is linked to Ayvalık on the mainland by a causeway. The island has a typical resort town, Alibey, and a bus and ferry link to Ayvalık.The island’s former Greek population was expelled in the 1923 population exchange between Greece and Turkey and was replaced by Muslims from Crete, Cretan Turks. The main landmark of Alibey village remains the large former Greek Orthodox cathedral, now abandoned and dilapidated.

Comments