Hotel Delle Mimose

Eceabat - WWI Casualties MonumentEceabat - WWI Casualties Monument

Çanakkale FerryboatÇanakkale Ferryboat

Beaches in March?

by collegeprof

Hello, I am leading an educational tour of Greece and Turkey during mid-March. After our visit to Troy, we have an afternoon at the beach scheduled. Will it be warm enough for the beach in March? Would there be other things of interest if the weather did not permit this activity? Thanks, Marilyn

by leics

You can get a rough idea from the climate tables for Canakkale here:

and here

You might be lucky, but I personally do not think it will be sunbathing weather...beach games might be ok.

Can't help with what else to see, but whilst you're waiting for more replies why not look at the Vt Canakkale pages?

by nada1712

Cannakale is in the Mediterranean Basin and March can be cold. There could be some winds and temps where you will need a jacket. But it could also be a very nice and warm day. I doubt if you want to swim.

by Sirvictor

Dear Prof. Marilyn, As youare coming from Boston you must be used to very cold wheather, snow storms and icydays. But. Troy and Dardanelles is different. The cold Russian winds and currents coming from North is differnt. Dardanelles is an open place. Its is hard to stand when it breezes. March is the coldest month all over in Turkey. Sometimes it snows, sometimes it rains, sometimes sunny and open but bone burning winds. Swimming in March at a Dardanelles beach is impossible. I personly dont like to swim in sommer also there. Because the sea is always cold like North Sea. But bring your swimming suit. You can swim at Pamukkale in the hot water pools if Pamukkale is at your travel plan.
Please give us more destinations in Turkey that you are planning to visit, so that we can give you more information.
Have a nice time in Turkey. Come happily and return smiling.
I am sure you will like Turkey more then Greece.

by mikelisaanna

I agree with the previous posts. Swmming in Turkey in March is a non-starter. Spend your time sightseeing. After your visit to Troy, spend the rest of the day touring the nearby battlefields of Gallipoli.

Also, don't set your hopes too high regarding Troy. There is not a ton of stuff left to see. The history of the site is fascinating, but there is not much left of it besides some walls and a very small ampitheater. We found the ruins at Bergama (Pergamum), Ephesus, Priene, and Aphrodisias to be much more interesting.

Feel free to visit our various pages about places in Turkey here on Virtual Tourist.

Travel Tips for Canakkale

Eceabat

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

The town of Eceabat on the peninsula lies opposite Çanakkale and is the busiest point enabling the passage between the continents of Asia and Europe via the Strait.

You can watch my 2 min 55 sec HD Video Canakkale Dardanelles HD out of my Youtube channel with Turkish pop music by Asia – Bosver Hayat Kisa.

You may watch my high resolution photo of Çanakkale on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 40° 11' 0.94" N 26° 21' 40.55" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Eceabat .

Canakkale - Gateway to Troy and Gallipoli

by mikelisaanna

Canakkale is the main town along the Dardenelles, the narrow strait that connects the Mediterranean Sea to Istanbul and the Sea of Marmara. It is on the Asian side of the Dardenelles, and is connected to the European side by a ferry boat system.

The two major tourist sites near Canakkale are the ruins of Troy, the ancient Greek town made famous by Homer, and the Galippoli battlefields of World War I. Troy is located about 10 km south of Canakkale, while the Galipoli battlefields are located across the Dardanelles on the European side.

We spent a night in Canakkale on our way from Istanbul to the Aegean coast. Unfortunately, that didn't give us much of a chance to explore the town, other than the few blocks around our hotel. We made it to Troy, but skipped Gallipoli, since we were traveling with our 7-year old daughter who doesn't like battlefields.

Comments