The Grand Bazaar.
The Grand Bazaar.
The Grand Bazzar also known as the Covered Bazzar is located in the old city. In this labyrinth of streets and passages are more than 4, 000 shops with each having its own area: the goldsmiths' street, the carpet sellers' street and so on. The foundations of the Covered Grand Bazaar were built right after the conquest of Istanbul by Ottomans. First the old bedesten and Sandal Bedesten were built. The bazaar grew in time with additional shops and halls, the resulting arcades and halls were covered with arches. Each street became the center of one particular trade such as the slipper-makers, furniture-makers, quilt-makers. The bazaar comprises 4400 shops, 40 hans on 50 streets, 2200 rooms, 19 fountains, hamams, mosques making it a city within itself. Covered Bazaar suffered from fires during 1943 and 1954 which destroyed much of its authenticity. However it still remains as a big attraction as the center of Turkish Jewelry, carpets, embrodery, antiques, etc.
When we were in Istanbul, a lot of Turkish people offered us a cup of tea without asking anything as a counterpart. They just wanted to talk a little bit, explain their way of life or show parts of their city. No reason to be afraid, this is turkish hospitality.
Binbirdirek Sarnici - Cistern Of 1001 Columns
Unlike it's much more famous cistern counterpart, Yerebatan Sarnici, Binbirdirek Sarnici is rarely seen by visitors to Istanbul. Also known as the Filoksenus Cistern in honor of the Roman senator Philoxenos who was responsible for it's construction in the early days Constantinople, it is unknown why the name Binbirdirek, which means "1001 columns" in Turkish, was given to this structure. It is thought that after the Turks captured the city in 1453, they named it Binbirdirek because it did indeed contain many supporting columns, but only 224 to be exact. During Ottoman times, it ceased to exist as a functioning cistern, & became a yarn manufacturing center. Then, after the establishment of the Republic in 1923, the cistern was used as a dump for the city's waste. In the 1990's, a restoration project was begun on Binbirdirek, & after 7 years of cleaning out garbage and renforcing it's overall structure, it was opened as a museum in 2002.
Binbidirek is now not only a functioning museum, but also a popular location for small concerts & events. Weddings & receptions are frequently held, & there is even a fashionable bar & restaurant located here. In late 2006, the Byzantium 1200 exhibit opened within Binbirdirek, displaying numerous computer-generated graphics and miniature models of buildings & structures that were present in Constantinople in the year 1200.
Binbirdirek in located west of Yerebatan along the Divan Yolu street & train, near the Istanbul Justice Palace & Hotel Accura.
watering Istanbul was always a big problem, wit several solutions added along the centuries. The complex system used several different structures, some of them above ground, some other below. In Taksim, a polygonal building named maksem was a distribution chamber built in the 18Th century, and still operating... it seems!