Buyukdere Cad No 84, Istanbul, Istanbul, 34398, TR

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• ozalp's Profile Photo

The Best Hotel in Istanbul So Far! (please read)

A protest had been started in Gezi Parki, Taksim on 28th of May 2013. Police violently attacked protesters on 31th of May. Today is 12th of June. The protests and the violence is still on the run. During these events Divan Oteli was so helpful. They opened their doors to the protesters who were affected by tear gas. People bring lost children to this hotel, because it is a safe place. And families find their children here. A medical ward has been formed in the hotel for the wounded people. Police wants to take the people who sheltered in hotel, but he hotel don’t let them in.

So, Divan Hotel is a hero and the BEST hotel in Istanbul.

Unique Quality: Heroic!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Next to a doubledecker highway

I stayed here one night to have base to explore downtown Istanbul.

The hotel is a 10 floor square building, with a quiet modern inside look and well equipped rooms. It is somewhat small designed, but offers good quality.

The main entrance is at the right hand side; not at the street side. There is an inside parking at the back, but if needed better have one of the hotel people park your car up there.

The hotel is about 4 km North of Taksim square or just two metro stops (metro station at 400 meters).

Unique Quality: Good quality for a reasonable price.

Directions: Just South off the E-5 Karayolu.

400 meters NE from the Sisli metro station.

More about Istanbul

Seeing Istanbul Landmarks from a Bosphorus CruiseSeeing Istanbul Landmarks from a Bosphorus Cruise

Obeslisk baseObeslisk base

Seen from belowSeen from below

Demonstration! - IstiklalDemonstration! - Istiklal

Getting Around Lycian Way; Istanbul vs Mediterranean Turkey

by Ryanscottsarver

Hi guys,

I'm planning my trip to Turkey. Due to some things that have come up recently, I'm having to cut the Turkey leg of my trip down to six days. First, I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight on Istanbul vs the Lycian way. I live in New York, have seen Paris, London, Rome and Brussels, and sort of "get" the metropolitan environment. I always enjoy myself most in cities--usually because the most important thing to me, when traveling, is trying new things and meeting new people. There are a lot of neat things in the Lycian way I'd love to see--Butterfly Valley, Xanthos Valley, the sunken City of Kekova, Termessos, Aspendos, Perge, and Phaselis in Antalya--but they're all spaced so far apart that I'm not sure they'd be worth it. On the other hand, I don't know much about Istanbul outside of the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Bazaars; I keep hearing it's an exotic and deeply beautiful place, but I'd feel better about going there if I knew a little more about what I was in for. I've picked up the Rick Steves and Time Out guides on Istanbul, but I still feel unprepared.

As I've said, I'm most excited about meeting people, and would like to do some fun outdoorsy activities--I was hoping to go SCUBA diving, paragliding, or horseback riding somewhere. That all seems like Mediterranean stuff.

I have 6 days in-country--the trip is technically 10 days long, but I only have 6 full days in Turkey.

As you can see, I'm very conflicted. Ten days would have been enough to swing both, but as things are, I think I'm too rushed to fit both Istanbul and Medi Turkey in--I've got to choose one or the other if I want to enjoy either.

Also, if I do head to Mediterranean Turkey, would it be more cost-and-time-effective to rent a car, or should I stick to the buses?

by Donna_in_India

Hi - Istanbul (and Turkey) is fantastic. There is just so much to do and see. If you'd like, you can take a look at my Istanbul page (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8295b/1c0a38/) for more info. That may help you decide how much time to spend there or even if you want to go. It does sound like you'd like more outdoor stuff though. Maybe you can have a little taste of Istanbul in 2 days? Hope you have a great time!

by Fanija

I believe you can do both, see Sultanahmet in Istanbul (you will manage visiting all what you have listed, they are located quite close to each other) and then explore the Lycian Way which will take more of your time. I would suggest you to go from Istanbul to Antalya by a cheap airline (for example, http://www.flypgs.com/en/default.aspx), then take a bus.

by al2401

For starts - Istanbul is nothing like Paris, Rome, Brussels or London. You can easily spend a week there.

Having said that - in two days you can see a fair bit - like the places you have mentioned.

There is also a lot to see on the coast - Aspendos, Phaselis and Xanthos of course. The area around Kas - Ucagiz, Simena and Kekova - is beautiful. You must try to se the 'ghost' town of Karakoy. Myra is also good.

For paragliding or horseback riding try Goreme in Cappodocia. The landscape is unique. Hot air ballooning here is spectacular.

Sorry to add a third choice!

by traveloturc

Hi Ryan
how big is istanbul ?
Many VT members are asking if they can walk in the city etc etc
I just want to give you some figures about istanbul
Istanbul is a city which the area of the municipalities ( except the rural area) is 5700km2
which this area is bigger than 32 countries of the world
Now lets compare the population According to official 2000 years statistics the population of istanbul is 10 million which you can extrapolate this figure up to 14-16 million in 2010
which only the population of Istanbul is bigger than 133 countries of the world
I think that now you have an idea how big it is and whats the population..
about the lycian way :
I suggest you to take a bus as long as you are not familiar to drive in Turkiye ..all the best and good luck ..

Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/b8558/1c0a38/1/#ixzz1Dvf7XQdA

Travel Tips for Istanbul

Miscellaneous Tips....

by Donna_in_India

The wonderful architecture, history and sights, the absolutely fanstastic people, and the tea!!

General Tips...

1. You will likely be visiting some mosques. Read up on mosque etiquette.
2. If possible buy/pre-order any museum/attraction tickets online.
3. Ask the taxi fare before taking off in a taxi, especially if it’s late at night or coming from an airport.
4. Charge your camera batteries every night.
5. Learn at least Hello, Thank you, and Goodbye in Turkish.
6. Turn your cell phones off inside mosques, churches, museums, etc. If it rings and you must take the call, do it outside!
7. If there’s a running commentary (live or recorded), be polite and be quiet.
8. Dress appropriately and be respectful in mosques and churches.
9. If you’re traveling with children, don’t let them disrupt others around you. If they cry or throw a tantrum, take them outside.
10. If you have a complaint, do it reasonably without yelling and cursing.
11. Regarding pictures:
a. If there are signs saying “No pictures”, don’t take pictures! There’s a reason for the signs. b. Learn how to use your camera before the trip. If there are signs saying “No flash”, make sure you know how to use the camera without it.
c. If you see a couple or family with one person taking pictures of the other(s), offer to take a picture of both/all of them. Maybe they’ll reciprocate.
12. Check local holidays. Since many museums and stores will be closed, you’ll need to have other plans for the day. Also many museums close on specific days so be sure to check that as well.
13. Try new things, especially food (including street food).
14. Don’t try to do too much. Leave some open time to just explore.
15. You’re on vacation so relax and have a good time!

Eminönü

by MalenaN

Eminönü is the area where the Golden Horn meet Bosphorus and the Galata Bridge crosses the water.
Here you can eat a fishsandwich bought from one of the boats at the quay or visit the Spice Bazaar and Yeni Camii.
Travelling around in Istanbul you will probably come here, maybe to take one of the ferrys or change bus at the busstation.

What to wear....

by Birsen

Istanbul has all the seasons like winter, spring, summer and fall. So check the weather report before your visit.

The city is with more than 14 million people and very cosmopolite. Unlike some other muslim countries woman and man wear very modern clothings. I have seen in my last trips all of the famous brands thay have their own shops in Istanbu.

lMy suggestion is when you go to shopping or walking in the crowds wear more sport clothings, more modest you kno... ( like a jean with jacket but not a leather one from D&G) When you go out for the night clubbing or dinner where more young people go out so you can wear short skirt or tank top if it is hot. For a man I think it is much easier to put on clothings.

In the mosques woman need to cover her head with cloth. Usually they give you at the entrance (it has to be free but I am not sure) I am a bit picky on higienic so I carry with me if I am going to visit one of these places. Man doesn't need to put any thing. Also you have to take out your shoes outside and leave them outside so If you wear comfortable shoes to take out it will be better for you. I carry also a plastic shopping bag to put my shoes in and carry with me when I visit a big mosque where so many people around. I am sorry I might be a bit paranoid but i can not help it :))

Pleasant Neighborhoods - near Kariye Muzesi

by Hopkid

Walking through residential neighborhoods can really give one a sense of what life is like in a locale. You're away from all the tourists at the historic sites and museums, and in the neighborhoods people are going through every day life. After our visit to the Kariye Muzesi, we wanted to get back to Eminonu via the seabus. The nearest station was in Balat, only about a kilometer away. So we walked through the neighborhoods of Erdinekapi, Kasim Gunani, Kasim Gosim, Draman, and Balat which can be characterized by narrow streets that were alive with the local residents. Many children were out and about playing soccer or riding bicycles. The shopkeepers were out and and folks were visting/gossiping, whatever folks do on a Saturday afternoon. Down in Draman there were a smattering of seafood merchants, shoe repair shops, etc. We were met with many smiles and shouts of "Hello!", especially from the children. It was another great experience.

Plus we had a great encounter with a bakery owner in Kasim Gunani. Read the story in my shopping tip, Sultan Cesme Odun Ekmegi.

Kuçukayasofia

by solopes

The quarter south of Blue Mosque is very beautiful. With narrow streets flanked with traditional houses in wood, the streets closer to the touristy area are intentionally embellished. As you walk longer south, the touristy maintenance fades, but the beauty remains, more natural and authentic.

Comments