E5 Karayolu Uzeri No:209, Ust Kaynarca Pendik, Istanbul, 34899, Turkey

More about Istanbul

Sultanahmet MosqueSultanahmet Mosque

Ornate wallsOrnate walls

The Grand BazaarThe Grand Bazaar

Beware of the ice cream man with the fezBeware of the ice cream man with the fez

Is the Istanbul shoe scam common?

by Trvlr

I was wondering if the shoe polish scam in Istanbul is common. It is fairly common in Rio de Janeiro, but it has been publicized there in various forums, so more people are aware. It was tried on me there but since I had read about it I did not fall for it.
It happened to a group of us about 10 days ago in Istanbul. A shoe shine man dropped a brush in front of us on the street. When we alerted him, he offered to clean the shoes of one of us.
The first time we refused. The second time one of us accepted. The rest of us walked on while he was getting his shoe cleaned. We learned later that the man demanded 50 lira, with the veiled threat of violence. He was paid, since my friend did not want to lose his camera etc. in any display of violence.
In Rio, they put a yellow paste on your shoes, then one boy offers to clean it, and the same scenario follows.
Visitors to Istanbul should be alerted so that they are aware of it.

by nhoolb

Very well to warn us but the posting here in this forum is inappropriate as it is not a question. Build your pages and put this warning in there as a tip.

by nomad7890

This is good to know, but if left here it will be lost. It would be great to include as a tip under the "Warnings and Dangers" category for Istanbul.

by Paris92

I think the question is in the title--he's asking if it's common.

by AlperIst

Hi,

The post already has a question, so it is very proper to put it here.

Even I never had that shoe painter scam as a local, yes, it is common here and they do it to tourists and also Turks who look naive and new comers to the city.

50 Lira is far too much for that, I wish your friend did not pay it but ask help from the people around.

Please put this info also to "warning and dangers" part.

Chers.
Alper

by Nissanmit

I was in Istanbul for 4 days only, but came across the same scam twice. Guessed its common enough...? The first time my boss paid. The second time, we did not bother to pick up the brush but just walk on.

by nomad7890

I was there for three days on my own ... walked around Eyup, Beyoglu, Ortakoy, and the historic center - did not see it. Maybe because I was a wimpy woman w/walking boots ...

by Trvlr

Thanks for the suggestion of placing it in the Warnings section. I have done it, and hope it shows up in the right places.
However, I strongly believe that warnings like these should show up in the regular forums. The requirement of posting a question must be waived for this purpose. If VT does not allow it then it is failing its members.
In my case, I had purchased one of the travel guides, therefore I did not read any VT travel guides. I did go through the forum. If it had been posted there, there was a chance (maybe a small chance, but still a chance) I would have picked it up. And saved my friend 50 lira.

by max_stirner

Hi.

yes it is extremly common and I use to play to guess when they will let fall this brush ;-)))))
it happends to me almost everyday.
just laugh, don't stop.
if you decide to pay for cleaning pay 5 liras not more.
there was no risk of agression of the case of your friend just go away, no display of violence possible your friend was just afraid. Don't worry.

Max

Travel Tips for Istanbul

Bosphorus Bridge

by MalenaN

Bosphorus bridge is a suspension bridge about 1560 metres long. It is connecting Europe and Asia, going between Ortaköy in Europe and Beylerbeyi in Asia. It was the first bridge built over the Bosphorus and the construction was finished in 1973.

The Hat Makes The Man

by TheLongTone

Many af the tombs found in the various mausolea are adorned with a turban of some kind: this is because the style of headgear is indicative of the deceased's status. You see a similar phenomenon in the cemetaries, where the tombstones are often capped by a carved representation of some kind of titfer*. Even when you're dead it's important to know who you're mixing with.

*Titfer =' tit for tat' = hat. Cockney rhyming slang.

Books for your trip

by Spincat

Books:
We took the 'Dorling Kindersely Guide' with us (a good balance of information) and the 'Companion Guide', by John Freely.

There are a number of books by Turkish writers, read before, during and after the trip, and I particularly recommend:

Orhan Pamuk: 'My name is Red'.
I've reviewed it in my bookclub

Perihan Magden : 'The Messenger Boy Murders.'

Yasar Kamal : 'Mehmet, My Hawk'

There are a number of translations of the poems of Nazim Hikmet available.

One VT member who has a really beautiful website with Turkish writing quoted alongside beautiful pictures is Rumisabuncu

Anadolu Hisari.

by Tdiver

Tourists pass this quaint little corner of Istanbul on their way up to Anadolu Kavagi but rarely stop,which is a shame as there are few small local restaurants around the area, Dere Balik in the photographs is almost set in the walls.
Built by Sultan Beyazid I in the 1390's as part of his preparations against siege on the narrowest point of the Bosphorus and to control the shipping.The Barbican was added by Sultan Mehmet II in 1452.
Alas you can't get into the Barbican and some of the surrounding walls were knocked down to make way for the coast road.
Currently working on the sidewalks and road so a bit dusty.
You can catch a ferry from the European side in a couple of places,Bebek and Arnavutkoy being the closest 2 from Sultanahmet.
There is also a local ferry pier at Kucuksu but unsure of times but is probably nearer to walk from, 5 minutes, also from Bebek.
Check out the times HERE

Grand shopping in ancient shopping mall

by SnoopySue about Grand Gazaar

Ancient shopping mall requires bargaining about everything except souvenirs containing Ataturk or Turkish national flag. Take your time, drink a cup of tea with seller and feel like the real customer. Great event! Leather, souvenirs, shirts etc. For example I bought two shirts for 8 USD each. After two years washing they are in the same shape as when it were new.

Comments