Empress Zoe

Akbiyik Cad. Adliye Sok. No:10, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34400, Turkey

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Empress Zoe Hotel

A beautiful boutique hotel only a 5 minute walk from the Blue Mosque and other local attractions.

Unique Quality: Romantic rooms and breakfast included.

• neodue's Profile Photo

Very nice place to stay

It is in the middle of the Old Town and next to an old turkish bath ruins.The hotel has nice garden.The garden is the middle of a few old istanbul houses.It is like a patio with ful of flowers.The hotel is a combination of a few old Istanbul houses.Located in Quite corner of the Old tow.It s like in the village but you in the middle of the 14 milion city.

Staff of the hotel friendly and helpful.

• Firestar24's Profile Photo

Beautiful Boutique Hotel Istanbul

This is cheeky because I never actually got to stay here, but I loved the look of this hotel when I saw it online. The rooms are individual and rustic and the gardens secluded and beautiful. I did take a walk down to The Empress Zoe but didn't go inside as we were in a rush.The outside is unremarkable and I only have the website to go on, but I'd advise anyone planning a trip to Istanbul to take a look at the website before booking accommadation in the city. I can say that the location is perfect, right behind The Blue Mosque.

Directions: Behind The Blue Mosque

• Great hotel for women

Really great hotel built into an ancient Roman bath. No lift but once you get upstairs the rooms are great, marble bathroom. Breakfast is substantial as it is in most of Turkey and you dine on an outdoor patio overlooking the Bosphorus. Buzzing bees were the only outdoor problem. It is close to all the sites in Sultanahmet. Don't miss the Topkapi Palace, the Archaeological Museum, Hagia Sophia and have tea at the little cafe in the Cisterns (If you've seen the James Bond, From Russia with Love, they took a boat ride in amongst the columns. People are very friendly. Tip for women: wear a wedding ring and say you are married, your husband is expecting you. Also, with the carpet salesmen, say you are a student and have no money! I walked everywhere in the city which is big, noisy, dirty but better than Cairo. Have fun!

Unique Quality: Great views and super quiet.

Directions: Near the Blue Mosque. Check the guidebooks for it like Fodors. Price could be higher now.

• Quaint Istanbul Hotel

Beautiful, small hotel in the old part of Istanbul. It's within a short walk of Topkapi and other major sights and there is a rooftop bar that is a great way to unwind after a long day of sightseeing. The staff is very helpful and the beds very comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are ever in Istanbul.

• danchatman's Profile Photo

a warm place to call home

The charm is immediate when you walk in the door; the lobby is decorated in local style, and a small winding staircase takes you upstairs, where orientation takes a day or two to get down - lots of nooks.
    Our room consisted of a comfortable double bed with a view onto the courtyard in back. Rustic in furnishings, we liked it quite a bit. My only criticism about the decor: I would have loved to wake up each morning and plant my feet onto a nice Turkish rug instead of the hard, cool wooden floor (there are rug sellers everywhere on that street). The bathroom was modern and the shower was nice with plenty of hot water. We were there in January, and the room was a bit chilly. However, I don't recall walking into any place in Istanbul and being aware of heat being turned on; I think the entire city is chilly at that time of year.
    If you like the muezzin for a wakeup call, you won't be disappointed: it comes through loud and clear (I happen to love that).
    On floor 2 is the kitchen area, a friendly space watched over by an even friendlier staff; we were having language lessons to begin each day. And if we wanted a cup of tea, we were told to help ourselves at any time, day or night. The breakfast included consists of hard boiled eggs, various breads alongside a toaster, jams, honey, coffee, tea, oranges, olives and tomatoes. If you get tired of that selection (as we did after 4 days), simply pick up some fruit and spices in the markets and play a little. Invention goes a long way.
    The staff was always helpful, and made us feel welcome everytime we stepped in the door.

Unique Quality: There is a small garden courtyard in back that is really lovely and peaceful. A great place to eat about 40 oranges, 25 pieces of toast, and a bowl of olives before venturing out.
    The place is also run by Ann from San Francisco, and I found her perspectives very helpful. She runs a tight ship, and when anyone has a question, she is more than happy to go the extra distance in finding an answer.

Directions: Sultanahmet, about 2 minutes from the Topkapi and 4 minutes from the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia. Around the corner from the 4 Seasons Hotel.

• grrl_travel's Profile Photo

Hotel Empress Zoe.
    Located...

Hotel Empress Zoe.

Located in the SultanAhmet district it's location is very central to many historial buildings. The hotel is run by an american woman (if you are worried about communication at all), and it's very charming. The rooftop deck looks out over the bosphorus and is very nice. The rooms are small but nicely decorated, and the staff is wonderful. You can have breakfast in the courtyard (standard turkish breakfast fare of hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, bread, coffee and other goodies).
    $70 a night for the nicest room. About $50 on average. This is more expensive than many places, but reasonable for this great hotel.

Unique Quality: Charmingly decorated. Next to an old hamam. Across the street from a neighborhood mosque (a bonus, because I love to hear the muezzins calling prayer).

Directions: On Akbiyik Cadesi in SultanAhmet. Very near Aya Sofia, SultanAhmet Mosque, and many historial attractions.

More about Empress Zoe

loved Empress Zoe

by TripAdvisor Member jprice

Hi all, we just came back from Turkey where we spent 4 nights at the Empress Zoe. Loved every minute. It is in a great location, the breakfast was great, and our room was superb. Be sure to eat accross the street at Kosk Cafe for a really inexpensive meal which was both tasty and well presented. We just loved the owner, who was warm and friendly.

Empress Zoe Not Up to Reviews

by TripAdvisor Member kabahr

We just finished a short stay at the Empress Zoe and I wish I had done a little more homework. Although the location was great, there was nothing special to warrant the great reviews on this site. Our room had old furnishings, no heat (and it was cold), and dirty looking hallways/stairs. Luckily the room was very clean but the staff was not very helpful. Lack of English speaking help and no assistance with an early morning departure -- night deskclerk did little to assist with heavy bags and even waited to unlock the door so we could leave. All in all, I was not impressed and I do like unique places (i.e. loved the Su Hotel in Bodrum) but this did not match our expectations.

very happy with empress zoe

We stayed for 2 night in the top suite. Very impressed with the friendliness of the staff and how helpful they were in giving/getting us information.
As we are cat lovers the various resident cats really addded to the stay.
Breakfast was great and the staff went all out to get us a breakfast for our early morning departure.
Overall we were very impressed and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel or stay there in the future if we return to Istanbul.

Empress Zoe mosaicsEmpress Zoe mosaics

Empress Zoe mosaicEmpress Zoe mosaic

Christ & Empress Zoe Mosaic, AyasofyaChrist & Empress Zoe Mosaic, Ayasofya

11th c. Empress Zoe Mosaic11th c. Empress Zoe Mosaic

Hotel opinions

by houndtang

Hi there, am going alone to Istanbul for a few days later this month. I am trying to whittle down a list of Sultanahmet hotels. Has anyone got any opinions on the Orient Express Hotel, the Empress Zoe, the Nena Hotel?

Thanks

RE: Hotel opinions

by DMS52

Last year my wife and I stayed at the Erboy Hotel. The location was central to many tourist attractions, the staff was very friendly and helpful. For three nights stay they will pick you up at the airport. Just ask for a room at the back, as the front rooms can be a little noisy. You can take a look at the hotel thru their web site

RE: Hotel opinions

by robynehudson

Have not stayed at any of those but can highly recommend Side Hotel in Sultanahmet for its price, cleanliness and location.

Comments