Grand Madrid Hotel

Booking.com Priceline.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 20% less but rated 46% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

• Beware

We stayed at Grand Madrid for six nights in early September and the service we received was far below our expectations. We will NEVER visit this hotel again.
    If you are planning to visit this hotel make sure you check everything possible in the room and report any minor problems to the management. Our room door handle was slightly loose and it was so hardly noticeable we didn't even bother to mention it. While leaving they made us pay $50 for this. I suspect this is a scheme which the hotel owner is not aware of and is a source of income for the reception people.
    Also at the last minute the person who had gone up to check our room falsely informed the reception that we had left the safe box locked and they were going to make us pay for this too. This was utter lie and we did not pay anything.
    The service was poor. There was no TV in the lobby and the reception people were rude.

More about Istanbul

Carpet - Sultanahmet MosqueCarpet - Sultanahmet Mosque

Sultan's reception ceiling domeSultan's reception ceiling dome

The Grand BazaarThe Grand Bazaar

Very modern and clean interiorVery modern and clean interior

Sabiha Goken airport to istanbul city center

by Rob61

My wife and I will be wanting to get from Sabiha Goken Air port to the city center what are my options and can you please recomend some budget accomidation close to the attractions, I would like to thank you in advance for you help
Rob and jill

Re: Sabiha Goken airport to istanbul city center

by max_stirner

What is city center for you ?
in case it means Taksim take Havas bus, in case it means Sultanahmet take E5 bus to Kadikoy than ship.

Max

Re: Sabiha Goken airport to istanbul city center

by unaS

An excellent budget hotel in Sultanhemet - and walking distance to many of the places you will want to visit - is the Hotel Hali www.halihotel.com

Full details on my Turkey page: Tips/Hotels & Accommodations

Travel Tips for Istanbul

Signs :)

by hekate

I guess it happend to most of us :)) When you travel, you might happen to see some signs that are a bit wierd, funny or just strange. I think easyoar had a pretty good colection of such signs :)))

I have the habit of taking pictures of such signs, so I could not resist the temptation of taking a picture when I saw what you see on the picture. It was in an underground passage near the Galata bridge.

If I had more time I would have checked the WC to see what is so modern about it but I guess I will have to solve this mystery next time I go to Istanbul ;)

Be prepared and know the rules for mosques

by mikelisaanna

When walking around Istanbul, always be prepared to enter mosques, since they are some of the most beautiful buildings in the city and you won't want to miss out on seeing their highly decorated interiors. There are a few simple rules for entering and visiting mosques:

1. Women must wear headscarves that keep their hair covered. If you don't have a scarf, you can often borrow one from the attendant at the mosque's main entrance. If you are carrying a purse, carry a scarf for mosques so you don't have to worry about who wore the loaner scarf before you.

2. Men and women must keep their knees and shoulders covered. In other words, no shorts, tank tops or short skirts. Women wearing sleeveless tops can get around this rule by wearing a scarf around their shoulders. Men with shorts can enter by wrapping a large scarf around their legs like a sarong, but are likely draw a few snickers from their fellow males.

3. Don't enter during one of the five daily prayer times.

4. Take your shoes off before entering. Youcan put them in a plastic bag (which you then carry), leave them on the pavement outside the mosque, or put them on shelves just inside the entrance.

5. Once inside, stay behind the section of the mosque (usually in the front by the mihrab, the decorative niche in the wall that shows the direction of Mecca) where men actively pray.

6. Don't use flash in photos (the mosques don't want their tiles to fade) and don't take photos or videos of people praying.

7. Once inside, be quiet and don't talk on mobile phones.

Walkie-Talkies

by MaisonRose

Several things made my trip to Turkey pleasant, most used and helpful were walkie-talkies so that my daughter and I could communicate when we separated in markets, etc. In my journal I noticed a big star beside my walk-into-the-water beach shoes (for stoney beaches). We also used hand disinfectant before eating our picnic foods..water of course was not available under picnicing conditions. A small "sample" bottle lasted four weeks.

Bogazi├ži University

by H-TownJourneyman

Bogazi├ži University, or the University of the Bosphorus, has its main campus on a lovely location in Bebek, on the European side of the Bosphorus. The university was established in 1971, and was founded on the old campus of Roberts College, which opened in 1863 as the first American university outside of the United States. The campus has some beautiful buildings that were constructed while it was still Roberts College, and its location on the hills above the water provide some incredible views of the Asian side and the Bosphorus itself. The Rumelihisari fortress, built by Sultan Mehmed II in 1452 to use as a base for conquering Constantinople, is also located directly adjacent to the school. Definitely worth a visit!

Can Antik

by chauncenetta about grand bazaar

One day Dan & I, ranting and roaming at Le Grande Bazaar, came upon a quiet secluded corner to discover Can Antik and the owner Halil Can. I am a sucker for antique shops, can you just imagine such a shop at the Grande Bazaar. There Dan got yards of glistening opals & I chose old stones and a worn well crafted necklace of lapis of yore. Dan found a love like no other: Ezme. Serendipity being the main commodity of this magic store I can tell you it was enchanting but I can't tell you more.

Comments