2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Ebussuud Cad. Safettinpasa Sok. No:6 Sirkeci, Istanbul, 34110, Turkey

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• mikeggert's Profile Photo

Small, affordable rooms in great location

Friendly staff, less noisy off-street area in walking distance to the Hagia-Sophia and historical museums. Small hallways, and very small rooms - but modern bath, clean, and very reasonably priced - I showed up without a reservation and told them I saw their rates on the internet and there were no available rooms the previous night and there were some tonight - they immediately gave me the best internet price (about $38) and it was a top floor room with views, though the elevator only went to the 5th floor and this was on the 6th. - I was perfectly fine with that.
    I would definitely stay there again when all you want is a clean room to sleep and save your money for food and tourist stuff - which I spent tons...

Unique Quality: Friendly staff, small restaurant on main floor, travel advisor and trip bookings in office next door, modern upgrades to small bathrooms - clean. This is a bargain place so not fancy. There is construction across the alley and there are many fancier options in that area.

Directions: Café, cobblestone street area just across from the main tourist sights and one block from the main Train Station. Lots of international tourists in this area but beware of the aggressive street "friends"

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Not the best!

The good thing about this Hotel, was it was located near the shops and a Tram stop. My Taxi driver didn't seem sure where it was, and then the traffic was bad! I eventually arrived, had to be dropped at the top of the side street and walked to the Hotel.

The Hotel looks better on the outside, than inside. The rooms were old, but clean.
    I had a Television & Fridge. Internet was FREE>
    The shower was a horrible one, in the room with the Toilet and everything else, with NO SHOWER CURTAIN. Hate these, everything gets WET!! The Bathroom door didn't shut properly, so water went under it into the Bedroom area.
    The Doors were hard to shut, people partied late, and when they returned to their rooms, you certainly heard them. My room was street front, and there were Restaurants opposite. People sat on the large cushions until 5am, so you can guess how much sleep I got.

Breakfast was included and it was a buffet downstairs, passable.

The 1st person on reception was helpful, gave me a map, and told me where to book for my Bus.
    The second one was nearly asleep, terrible! should not have been there.

I WOULD NOT recommend this Hotel.

• kia81's Profile Photo

A cosy hotel in the Old City - Eminönü

I have choosen Hotel Agan in order to write-off the cost of the flight that has been quite expensive for my budget (flight from Orio al Serio airport with My Air 200 € per person without luggage). Hotel Agan was the cheapest hotel I found corresponding to the quality level I wanted: private bathroom with shower and closeness to the most important buildings and Mosques of Istanbul. The cost for person for a double room with private bathroom, shower, A/C and minibar has been 17,5 €, breakfast included, in the period from 8th until 13th of June.
    I would suggest this hotel to backpackers or budget travel, but I wouldn't suggest it to families with children or to persons with any handicap because the rooms are small, the bathroom quite non-existant and when you have a shower the water goes everywhere, furthermore the room where breakfast buffet is served is reachable only by small steps.
    However the personnel were very kind and funny and the rooms very clean and these were the most important things for me, considering also the very low price and the excellent position of the hotel.

Unique Quality: The rooms have different quality standard, mine had a private bathroom, A/C, minibar, a small desk with mirror, a window behind the beds and a small cupboard.

The hotel offers:
    Open buffet breakfast (but quite repetitive)
    24 hours reception
    Change-Exchange office
    24 hours hot water and room service
    Meeting room
    Wifi internet free
    Cafe Restaurant
    Air condition

On request the hotel can provide:
    - airport transportation ( they say in the web that arrivals are free of charge for guests staying minimum 5 nights, but I stayed there 5 night and they made me pay 45 € for the pick up at the airport, I don't know if it was due to the time of arrival of my flight...3 o'clock in the morning)
    - taxi
    - excursions/trip organization

Furthermore, the hotel has also a Cafè-bar situated in the narrow street just outside of the entrance of the hotel. The Cafè bar is very nice, with wooden tables and colourfull pillows and carpets on which you can seat and have your tea or narghilè (water-pipe) with aromatic tobacco.

Directions: Sirkeci-Eminonu ISTANBUL/TURKEY

More about Hotel Agan

Small Budget But Neat Hotel

by June.b about Agan Hotel (Sultanahmet-Sirkeci)

The photos shown on all reservation sites including the hotel's website looks to me that this hotel is another one of those hostels, really cheap - dank rooms with dirty miserable bathrooms and carpets - Agan is not one of those, it's budget, but not “cheap”.

Location: Located in a quiet alleyway about 50 meters up off the main tramvay tracks, means you can barely hear the sound of the tram. 2 blocks away from both Sirkeci and Gulhane tram station - you can take either of the stations for the very convenient tramvay. It's between the mighty Bosphorous and the historical Sultanahmet area. Restaurants are aplenty in this area as well as convenient stores and barbershop. Away from the touts of Sultanahmet, if there may be any as I have heard from others.

Room: Surprisingly functional, small but ok for me. The photos online did not match the actual rooms. Physically better, neat with a walkway carpet on a thick wooden-parquet-design linoleum. The hardly-english-speaking reception in the morning I arrived is giving me a twin bed room but I requested for a double which was on the first floor facing the street fronting a small otopark (room 101) just beside the staircase leading down to the reception. Bed and pillows were firm and comfortable.

Bathroom: Small with equally tiny sink, shower and toilet in one. Clean towels, toilettries and yes - hairdryer....plus extra towels on the small drawer.

Breakfast: Complimentary turkish breakfast, basic as with other budget hotels around - boiled eggs, meatloaf, cheeses, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, bread and spreads, cereals, coffee & tea... juz enough to start the day.

Plus: Free WIFI internet connection inside the room, how cool was that! – very convenient as I am always online. The english-speaking reception guy helped me with the set-up. Disposable room slippers. Extras that aren't normally present in other budget hotels of the same category. Laidback atmosphere - staff are courteous, won't bother you unless you ask for help. Neat, quaint, helpful staff, centrally located between Gulhane and Sirkeci tram stations. All sights are just walking distance.

Of course I could hear the “adhan” (call for prayer) but this is Istanbul, you can hear it anywhere, it’s a part of the city sound.

I am currently staying here, and so far I haven’t found fault yet…except for some mozkies bites at night.

Highly recommended.

I paid Euro19 for the small single room.

Update (2009): the rates jumped up, and there are other better options at same rates. Though for last minute promo like the Euro19 I've got 3 or 4 years back, I would grab it.

ISTANBUL HOTEL RESEARCH

by Jawnuta about SULTANAHMED AREA(old city)

We are getting ready for our Turkey trip.

Here is a list of BURGET HOTELS I went through to make our reservation

12. Hotel Umay E 50
13. Nelih Hotel E 35
14. Ilkay Hotel E 51
15. Meddusa Hotel E 40

We decided to go with Meddusa Hotel as the price was right and it is centrally located

Some day maybe Again :)

by TripAdvisor Member Lindukss

I could say – nice hotel, good located, friendly staff, but that would be the same as to say nothing about this hotel and staff specially. Before our visit to Istanbul we had booked the other hotel but circumstances put us change it and then were no doubts - so we moved to hotel Agan. We found this hotel during the walking at first day of our visit in Istanbul and we think that already from that moment it becomes our place, place of peace, smiles and friends. Have you ever find the staff who could make you believe when you are afraid, make you smile when you are crying, give hug when you needed the most and welcome you as the only one they are waiting for? It’s hard to call them staff as they become our friends. They are like a puzzle – each of them are so different, so unique, but together – they are the best ;) And for every one of them the special smile is send by this.

Hotel Agan.. Maybe some day Again ;)

Lf.

A budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Naia_12

Hi! I have just come back from Agan Hotel having passed there our Easter Holidays.
Pros- Hotel Agan is perfectly located as you can go walking to the important places in the city, you do not need a taxi, and for us it was quite good.
It was quite clean and staff was very helpful, only the Manager could speak fluently in english but the rest of staff tried to help us to find the places to visit.
Breakfast was always the same, not bad but a bit repetitive,some days we had to take our own food to eat something different...
Cons- Pillow was very hard, and light outside the room made some days difficult to sleep.
The same some other customers have told about bathroom and shower, everything was wet after taking a shower.
Deceptive information on website, as we have read that if the stay was superior to 5 nights, transport to airport will be free, we claim for that, and after avoding giving an answer, they told us that we have to pay as it is only for customers who reserve directly with the hotel, and as we have done it by agency we can not have that service.
Also, they charged us 2 bottle of water we have not consumed but we have left them outside the fridge, but as we were on a hurry to the airport we could not claim. It was very cheap but we left with a bad feeling.
Anyway I would recommend this hotel as it is perfect to visit the city, it is cheap and clean.

Did not keep our reservation in spite of reminders

by TripAdvisor Member MrYogi

We booked directly with them based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and got a good rate for a triple room, 45 Eur. However, they shoved us off to a different hotel once we arrived at the hotel.

We had no information about this new hotel and were very upset. They did not even keep our reservation for the two other nights we'd booked with them.

Confirm your booking multiple times before going. Even though we sent them an email confirming our arrival, they did not keep our reservation. We were traveling with kids and this is how badly they treated us. The new hotel turned out to be ok at the end.

I do not recommend hotel agan. Try Hotel Turval. It is very close to the Sirkeci station and a slightly nicer hotel than Agan. They have a very helpful waiter and the rooms have sound proof windows. The rooms are slightly stuffy but you can turn on the AC, which fixes everything.

I Will Return!

by TripAdvisor Member GirlWhoTravels

First, may I say as a frequent traveler all around the globe I appreciate informative and factual reviews. Previous reviews, though positive, (Aside from one reviewer who presumably has no conscience and chose to write a negative review based on reservation issues rather than a stay in the hotel.) have omitted information relevant to this accommodation. This review will help in clarifying and explain pros and cons of Hotel Agan.

As per the location enough said, this location is brilliant! The hotel is situated in the center most point of the Sultanahmet district.(Area attractions included Blue Mosque, Cistern, and Aya Sophia etc.) Additionally, the tram line is less than 200 meters away as well as inexpensive eateries fancied by locals, always a bonus!

Cost- I still cannot believe just how inexpensive this hotel is for such great quality. I chose to book through Expedia, but I am quite sure the hotel accepts reservations via email.

Staff- The staff of this hotel yield a warmth that a traveler will appreciate more than ever, especially after several long days, weeks or months of travel. Staff is not just staff here...staff is family. Vakif, the hotel owner and manager will always go the extra mile to make any guest happy. A rare and precious commodity here in touristy Sultanahmet as tourists come a dime a dozen so customer service is not a must.

The rooms are neat and clean with great accoutrements such as slippers, shampoo, soap, matches and QTips. Regarding the gripes of bathrooms, namely shower and toilets---I have been traveling the Middle East for seven weeks showers are always near or aside the toilet- this is a fact, get used to it especially if you plan on traveling to more remote parts of the ME like inner Turkey, Egypt, Iran, Jordan etc. Sure water gets on the toilet seat---WIPE IT OFF---clean fresh towels are provided daily.

Breakfast is traditional Turkish breakfast (Bread, Jams, Nutella, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Olives, Cheese, Sliced Meat, Cereal, Juice, Coffee and Teas) and provides you with sufficient energy to get through your day as a lucky traveler to Istanbul.

Lastly, make sure to spend an evening out front on the comfortable cushions SOOOOO relaxing.

Enjoy and Safe Travels.

absoletely very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rosella1979

l have stayed 2 nights in Agan Hotel. Hotel is in the heart of lstanbul by walking distance to all historical places as a St. Sophia,Blue Mosque,Topkapi Palace,Grand Bazaar Etc.l recomadate everybody. Romms are clean very friendly staffs good breakfast.

Good and bad

by TripAdvisor Member FeejeeMarama

Pros - great location, it's within walking distance of two tram stations, the "must-see" sights, kebab shops and grocery stores; friendly staff; free internet access; satisfactory breakfast served buffet-style.
Cons - the bathroom in the room I was in had a shower head right over the toilet which made having a shower quite awkward; the drainage in the bathroom was poor which meant it was always flooded; my room was not cleaned on the first day of stay and when I queried this I was told I had to leave my key at reception. I did this the next day and when I came back in the evening and asked for the key at reception, I was told my key was left in the keyhole of the door of the room. When I went to my room, my key was hanging from the door which meant anyone could have gone in and out during the day as they pleased. As I was only there for four days, I didn't bother getting my room serviced again and the management never mentioned anything about it.

istanbul...public transport or taxi from Sabiha airport to city centre.

by kia81

dear all,

in June I will visit Istanbul for 5 days, great!!! it is in my top ten list from years!

I will arrive at Sabiha airport at 00:40 of Monday 9th of June. Do you know if there are buses to reach the city centre and their time table?

Otherwise, do you know approximately how could it cost to take the taxy?

I have to go to Hotel Agan!

Thanks in advance!! Chiara

by cafank

Hi
there is a shuttle bus which runs from 0400 to 0100 but you may just miss this with your flight time.
Taxi costs are variable - check out the following, prices are available in US dollars: http://www.ataturkairport.com just go to transportation page
I loved Istanbul and we caught public transport everywhere and quite easily.
Cheers
Cheryl

by cafank

Hi again,
sorry should have given you this site to check out info and fares: www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/sabiha_gokcen_airport.html
Cheryl

by Karahan

Here is the info and schedule about Havas shuttle service. You'll use Taksim direction.

Taxi prices are quite high and the airport is far away from city centre so I don't recommend using taxis. First take that shuttle service then you can take a taxi from Taksim. That makes more sense.

by kia81

Thank you very much for your suggestions!
how far the Sabiha airport is from the city centre?

by neodue

could you please click below the link?

After your stay in HOTEL AGAN could yo please give me info about the quality of this hotel?It is cheap hotel but I want to know the quality.Cause I am planning to recommend it to some my friends.

by Karahan

You're welcome.. It takes approximately 1 hour to get Taksim. And then between 15 to 25 minutes to your hotel.

Enjoy your trip :)