Hotel Almina

Kucuk Ayasofya Cad Akbiyik Degirmeni Sk No 27, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34400, Turkey

Almina Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• UncleRiotous's Profile Photo

Cheap And Comfortable In A Great Location

We stayed in the Hotel Almina in February 2007. I took my eight year old son and a two friends (one male, one female) so us boys shared a three bed room and our female companion had a room to herself. We found the staff very friendly indeed, the rooms were clean and comfortable if not hugely luxurious. The breakfast was great (olives, bread, feta, oranges, boiled eggs, jam, honey, etc) and they gave us a hand with various Turkish words and phrases whenever we asked.

I believe if you fly into Ataturk airport then you can get free transport to the hotel but if you fly into Sabiha then they charge. When we came in they charged us 35 Euros each way which given that there were four of us was definitely the cheapest way to get there. The hotel isn't difficult to find but getting a lift straight there was definitely a bonus.

One word of warning is that it's not the quietest place to stay. We had no problems sleeping but there is a small mosque just up the road with a reasonable PA system at 5am and if you end up in a room at the back of the hotel the trainline runs right outside your window.

The only other issue, complaint is too strong a word, is that the description of a view of the Blue Mosque from the roof terrace is probably pushing it. If you're on the outside part of the terrace and approaching six feet in height then you can just about see the tops of the minarets.

That said it is incredibly close to the Blue Mosque and some great restuarants. I'd definitely go back there without any worries.

Unique Quality: The hotel is literally two mins walk from the Arasta Bazzar and the Blue Mosque and was incredibly cheap. For five nights for a three bed room we paid around £150 (low season rates) which was fantastic. The staff were really very, very friendly.

Directions: From the back of Arasta Bazzar walk down Kucuk Ayasofia Cad, take the first left, first left and follow it round the corner, the hotel is at the bottom of the hill. If you've got Google Earth then Lat is 41° 0'11.45"N and Long is 28°58'38.69"E.

• midnight_mike's Profile Photo

Comfortable beds, close to Blue Mosque

I only stayed here one night, but it was a decent place for the price. It was the best sleep I had my entire trip, which included stays in six other hotels. The rooms are basic, but it is one of the cheaper places to stay and it is a five-minute walk from the Blue Mosque.

Directions: Five minutes southeast of the Blue Mosque

• travelightly's Profile Photo

DO NOT PATRONIZE

This is a boutique hotel that CANNOT be recommended. It is located next to railroad tracks, in an area that appears to be surrounded by gypsies--not that I had any trouble with them in Turkey. The young kids would come up pleading, Money? Money?"

The room I stayed in had a bathroom that you had to keep the window open to air the gasses that came up from the toilet. Water is advertised as being hot 24 hours. It wasn't. Maybe I overlooked them, but I don't remember seeing the restaurant and bar they picture in there brochure. The open buffet breakfast was bread, feta cheese, jam, olives, cucumber and tomatoes. Tea and instant coffee. I think that was it.

So, why did I stay there? See my Istanbul Introduction on my travel pages for more details. My recommendation: With so many hotels in the area, go elsewhere.

Talking with Rina at Insight Travel (www.tour-turkey.com or e-mail: info@tour-turkey.com) about accommodations may help keep you out of the trouble I got myself into. You might consider emailing her about arranging your lodgings. She was friendly, open, and a good communicator.

I recently received a note from the new owner of this hotel. He may be trying to improve upon the previous owners record, but unless a REALLY great deal can be struck, I'd try elsewhere.

More about Hotel Almina

Hotel Janet in Nevsehir.
Hotel...

by ThomasB

Hotel Janet in Nevsehir.
Hotel Almina in Istanbul. Both have resonable price and the following:
1) Central heating system.
2) Telephone and music.
3) TV in room.
4) Shower-bath.
5) Breakfast.
6) Terrace-Bar.
7) Sun- Bathing.

Comfortable beds, close to Blue Mosqe in Istanbul

by midnight_mike about Hotel Almina

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Almina or the Guest House Marmara in Istanbul?

by midnight_mike

Has anyone stayed at either the Hotel Almina or the Guest House Marmara in Istanbul? These are the cheapest places I found in Sultanahmet that offer private rooms. Normally, I would be willing to pay more than 35 Euro per night, but I need two rooms so I'll be paying double.

by midnight_mike

Also, has anyone stayed at the Hotel Albatros?

by gkayak

Hi - We haven't stayed at either of those but have an inexpensive, friendly, clean and perfectly located alternative. Try the Side Pension and hotel. You can book it on the web.(sidehotel.com) The owners are great with any questions you may have on local transport and eating breakfast in the roof top dining area is fun.We were there in November and will go back in March.

by UncleRiotous

Probably a bit late looking at when you posted but we stayed in the Hotel Almina in February 2007. I took my eight year old son and a two friends (one male, one female) so us boys shared a three bed room and our female companion had a room to herself. We found the staff very friendly indeed, the rooms were clean and comfortable if not hugely luxurious. The breakfast was great (olives, bread, feta, oranges, boiled eggs, jam, honey, etc) and they gave us a hand with various Turkish words and phrases whenever we asked.

RE: RE: Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Almina or the Guest House Marmara in Istanbul?

by midnight_mike

I spent a night at Almina, too.....

Comments