Hotel Sari Konak Istanbul

Expedia.com Official Site Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• mightywease's Profile Photo

Lovely Hotel in a great City

This lovely hotel is in a perfect position for exploring the sites of Sultanahmet and Istanbul being a short walk from the Blue Mosque and the Hippodrome and a slightly longer stroll to Sultanahmet tram stop.

The hotel is attractively furnished and being a converted Ottoman house includes traditional Turkish elements and decoration. We had a room on the first landing quite close to the lobby, I have read some criticism from other reviewers that these rooms are rather noisy, however, the combination of long days of walking, a filling Turkish meal and a couple of glasses of Efes meant that we slept like the proverbial logs and hardly noticed any noise. The room was small but comfortable and adequate for two. To be picky I would have perhaps preferred a bit more storage space for clothes and the wardrobe was a rather close to the bed making it difficult to open the doors fully (the solution was to sit on the bead and open it) but those are really very minor criticisms and were more than outweighed by the other advantages the hotel offers.

All the staff we dealt with were exemplary, particularly at breakfast, we were made to feel very welcome and that, had we wished, they would have been more than happy to advise re: sightseeing, restaurants etc... Breakfast itself was an absolute pleasure, homemade cake and preserves, olives, meats, fruit cereals and the most delicious creamy white cheese.

The hotel is also close to a number of good restaurants, Albura and Balicki Sabhattin in particular, and the Just Bar on Akbiyik Cadessi is a great place for a drink.

Unique Quality: For the me the highlight of the hotel was the roof terrace with its wonderful views over the rooftops to the Sea of Marmara one way and through the tress to the Blue Mosque the other. We tried to spend at least half an hour there every day, often late afternoon/early evening, to watch the lights go on across the water on the Asian side of the city. Caught there for a couple of hours one day by a horrendous rain storm we sat listening to the rain strike the roof, the distant puttering of boats and then the intermingling calls to prayer from the surrounding mosques. It was a wonderful experience and more than made up for not being able to spend that time exploring the city.

Directions: On a lovely street behind the Blue Mosque

• terrycowan's Profile Photo

A good Sultanahmet hotel

The Sari Konek Hotel is well situated in the Sultanahmet district. The rooms are nice. The hotel serves a good breakfast in the courtyard. There are good views of the Sea of Marmara from the roof-top terrace. The lobby area and the stairway are classy.

Directions: Sultanahmet

• sinanke's Profile Photo

Istanbul Luxury Hotels
    Open...

Istanbul Luxury Hotels
    Open World publishes web sites for some of the most romantic hotels located throughout the world. The Romance Guide listings are below. Click on the highlighted titles to view special offers and online reservations.

Hyatt Regency Istanbul (Hotel, view map)
    Taskisla Caddesi, Taksim 80090, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 225 7000 Fax: +90 212 225 7007

Ceylan Inter-Continental Istanbul (Hotel, view map) - DISCOUNT!
    Asker Ocagi Cad. No:1 Taksim 80200, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 231 2121 Fax: +90 212 231 2180

Ibrahim Pasa Oteli-Terzihane Sokak (Hotel)
    5 Adliye Yani, Terzihane Sokak, Sultanahmet 34400, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 518 0394 Fax: +90 212 518 4457

Sari Konak Oteli (Hotel, view map)
    Mimar Mehmet, Aga Cad 92802, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 638 6258 Fax: +90 212 517 8635

First Apart Hotel (Hotel)
    Inkilap Sokak 29 Kizilay, Ankara, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 312 425 7575 Fax: +31 241 927 14

Çiragan Palace Hotel Kempinski (Hotel)
    Çiragan Caddesi 84, Besiktas 80700, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 258 3377 Fax: +90 212 259 6687

Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul (Hotel, view map)
    Tevkifhane Sokak No.1, Sultanahmet-Eminönü 34490, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 638 8200 Fax: +90 212 638 8210

Swissôtel The Bosphorus (Hotel, view map)
    Bayildim Caddesi 2, Macka Besiktas 80680, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 259 0101 Fax: +90 212 259 0105

Park SA Hilton Istanbul (Hotel)
    Bayildim Caddesi 12, Macka 80680, Istanbul, Turkey
    Tel: +90 212 258 5674 Fax: +90 212 258 5695

Hyatt Regency Istanbul

More about Hotel Sari Konak Istanbul

A good place to start your trip to Turkey

by TripAdvisor Member Michaelgt

Sari Konak is a clean, well located B&B, with friendly staff and owners who directed us to good restaurants and helped organize our trip and hotel and flights to Capadoccia. I would recommend this Hotel as a good place to start your trip to Turkey.

The other reviews were right!

by TripAdvisor Member Alexina Fullerton

My fiancee and I very recently stayed six nights in the Sari Konak, having chosen it because of reviews on Tripadvisor.com

This is a comfortable, tastefully furnished and friendly small hotel, with a central location near all the key sites, charming ensuite rooms and modern bathrooms. There is a super roof terrace, which will come into its own when the weather gets warmer, with impressive views of the Blue Mosque. Buffet breakfast was excellent, staff friendly and helpful. The owner's sons gave us very useful advice for travelling in Western Turkey and helped us get a good rate with a reliable local company for car hire.

We will be recommending this hotel to any of our friends intending to visit Istanbul. The Sari Konak is a haven to return to after hectic days of sightseeing.

Like staying with family !!

My husband and I spent a week in Istanbul this past April, all of which (thankfully) started and ended at the Sari Konak. We were a bit hesitant before we arrived since we had booked it based on internet research alone and not on any personal recommendations from friends. It didn't take us long to realize that we had truly lucked out ... our room, although furnished simply, was clean and comfortable with a small but spotless bathroom, everything sparkling in white. One of the nicest touches was a lavender sachet placed on our pillows which definitely helped us relax and drift into dreamland.

Besides the room, though, we were totally captivated by the warmth of our host and his family/staff, all of whom couldn't have been nicer or more helpful in terms of directions, recommendations, etc. No question was too small or insignificant. We were truly made to feel that we were honored guests in someone's home.

The hotel (about the size of 2 NYC brownstones combined) is in a real neighborhood within walking distance of just about everything we wanted to see in the Sultanahmet area. After a day or so, especially after stopping for snacks in the local grocer's, we began to feel that we recognized familiar faces in the street and vice versa, as people began to say hello to us.

I cannot rave enough about the breakfasts, served in the basement dining room which opens out, in warm weather, to a small patio. Every single variety of cheese, salad, fresh fruit and FABULOUS (too fabulous) bread was available, buffet style, along with a whole variety of dry cereal, hard boiled eggs, juices and olives. And how can I forget the AMAZING coffee? A strong coffee devotee, like my husband, was in heaven every morning.

Have I convinced new travellers to Istanbul to stay at the Sari Konak? I certainly hope so. We can't wait to return !!

Well I never...

by TripAdvisor Member Simonyet

I have never been to a hotel anywhere in the world where the staff stood outside and waved and cried at our departure....they did this at the Sari Konak. The service, ambience and quality of this hotel is excellent. Dephne, the hotel receptionist, child minded my daughter on the nights I wanted to venture out....My daughter who usually does not take kindly to this type of thing, me going out and leaving her, actually made me go out most nights so as she could be with Dephne. What a wonderful kind woman !!!

The breakfast was excellent as was the attentive service to my morning requirement for copious amounts of coffee. The food was fresh and delicious. I met some very interesting people at the hotel over breakfast, the place seemed to have this "togetherness" feel about it and actually inspired strangers to talk to each other, not something you normally find.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to any discerning traveller that wants a homely and friendly hotel to stay in. Everything was spotlessly clean and tidy, as you would find in any 5 star hotel. The location was just perfect in a very peaceful street not far from basically anywhere you need to walk to.

Thank you Sari Konak for making my Istanbul adventure something even more special to remember.

Love to Dephne from Bebe...she misses you and wears the lovely necklace you gave her everyday.

Wonderful Hotel in Sultanahmet area

by TripAdvisor Member hhakim

Summary: Lovely hotel with very reasonable price. I will definitely stay in this hotel again if I visit Istanbul in the future. Highly recommended!

Excellent location: The hotel is minutes away from the main tourist attractions in Istanbul.

Rooms: Very clean and well maintained. The room that I stayed in was fully carpeted. Very well decorated. Cozy and very comfortable.

Personnel: Excellent service! The staff are friendly and they will always try to make your stay enjoyable. Check in/out was no hassle. They can call taxi for you if you need to go somewhere.

Food/Breakfast: Reasonable. Suitable for a good breakfast before going for a tour.

Tips: Taxi should cost around YTL20-25 to/from the airport. If you want to take the local taxi upon arrival at the airport, mention that the hotel is close by to the Four Seasons hotel. It's about 5 - 8 minutes walk from the Four Seasons hotel. Don't forget to mention the road name to the taxi driver. Don't take the overprice special taxi offered by travel agent at the airport. The cheapest rate I got was YTL40 to the hotel.

Tips: This hotel has a nice rooftop restaurant. However, try going for a dinner/lunch at the Seven Hills Restaurant/Hotel nearby. The view at the Seven Hills is much breath taking.

Tips: There are many carpet stores around this area. So, if you have no intention of buying a carpet, don't be persuaded to enter the carpet stores. These guys can influence you to spend hours in there just trying to sell you a carpet.

A Gem

Imaculate small hotel that can hold it's own anywhere. Attractive decor, wonderfully helpful staff, great breakfast. The cleanleness stands out. I highly reecommend this hotel to anyone. I paid $79 per nite with breakfast in Nov. 05. Upon arrival I was given my choice of three roooms without any upgrade charges! ALSO: this was my first trip to Istanbul, it's a wonderful city, the modern part is western and upscale, the old part is quite charming. I felt as safe here as in almost any US city.

Great place to stay

Very very helpful staff, clean rooms, gorgeous roof terrance, central location (albeit among many merchants who love to hassle tourists for business), delicious breakfast--in short, everything this not-wealthy traveller wanted!

Staying at the Sari Konak in August 2008

by cruisequeen

2 questions, actually: Does Turkey use the Euro or the Turkish Lira? Which is best accepted in the Grand Bazaar & Spice Markets?
We will be arriving via cruiseship. About how much will it cost to take a taxi (we will have 3 fairly large suitcases plus carry-ons) from the port to the hotel? It is located on Sultanahmet. Thanks for your help! We are planning this trip over a year in advance!!
Suzie

by Tdiver

New Turkish lira but they will take euros and dollars readily.Cost should be 10ytl,not far to travel.

by wwroam

Tourist tat, YTL. I bought some more expensive stuff ( bracelets etc) using $US but Euro would be equally acceptable ( saves changing money).

by cruisequeen

Thanks! Any idea of he exchange rate from US dollars to Turkish Lira?
Suzie

by Tdiver

1 dollar = 1.33 Ytl as of todays exchange rate.

Comments