Hotel Sebnem

Mikebb's Profile Photo

Small Hotel, Well Located Sultanahmet District

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 11, 2012

The Sebnem is a small family operated hotel with 15 ensuite rooms. Located in the Sultanahmet district with many local restaurants within a few minutes walk.

The advantage of the Sebnem is that you can walk to the Blue Mosque and the other famous attractions located in the Sultanahmet district.

Our room was on the smaller side but very clean, airconditioned, ensuite bathroom, TV etc. We only used the room for sleeping as there was a huge roof top terrace with views over the Bosphorus. Several computers were available on the terrace including free WiFi, for guest use.

Breakfast is served on the terrace, and features typical Turkish food. We enjoyed the fresh fruit drinks prepared on request, they were the best I have ever tasted.

Light rail and the metro train were within walking distance.

When booking our accommodation the management offered us an airport tranfer service at a reasonable price. it removed the worry of finding the hotel.

TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

1. Welcome to the Sebnem
2. Quiet street
3-4. Breakfast
5. Sleep tight

What a find Hotel Sebnem was. Good vibes came first from the emails we exchanged whilst sorting out our bookings (10 people arriving at different times on different days). We were the last to arrive and when we did the others were all already singing their praises of all aspects of the hotel - the location, the staff, the rooftop terrace, the rooms and the breakfasts. Oh, those breakfasts!

But first to our room - Simply furnished, smallish but adequate, everything spotless from the immaculate starched white cover on the canopied bed to the well-fitted bathroom, quiet (we were on the top floor and facing away from the street) - it ticked all our boxes.

Location? Ideal, Right in the heart of Sultanhamet, only a few minutes walk from the Aghia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi and all the other attractions of that part of Istanbul, but in a little dead-end of cross street that finished with some steps to a lower level so that there was no traffic actually outside the hotel.

A corner table on the rooftop terrace with its view of the Sea of Mamara became a favourite spot. Breakfast was served there every day. Wi-fi and free internet use (new laptops and good connections) were always available. An evening barbecue was fun . Post-sightseeing tea, pre-dinner drinks, after-dinner coffee - it was a natural place to gather and compare notes. September evenings can get a little cool in Istanbul, shawls were produced to keep the chill at bay.

Would I stay here again? I already have. September 2011 brought us back to Istanbul and, for the first few days of our stay before moving to the hotel booked by the tour we were joining, we stayed at the Sebnem. It was just as I remembered so , as long as there's a room for me when I want it, I'd recommend it to anyone who is happy to forgo 4 and 5* luxe anonymity for simple comforts and friendly faces - and don't forget those breakfasts.

Unique Quality: How Mama Sebnem manages to produce the range of delicious goodies that feature on the buffet tables at breakfast each day from her tiny kitchen is little short of a miracle. The tables groan with the most fabulous assortment of food and every day produces something new. Tiny pastries of every shape are stuffed with cheese, or fruit, or vegetables. There are cakes and breads and preserves, freshly cooked omelettes and a whole range of yummy side dishes to go with them - or have on their own, cheeses, cold meats, olives, yoghurt, fresh fruit, juices. I cannot think of any other hotel I have stayed in that has produced anything that can compare with the spread set out each morning at the Sebnem.

There was only one problem - what to choose? There was no way you could sample it all - and it all looked, and was, so good. And when one of our party - a latecomer to the group - had to swap hotels as they were fully booked for two of the nights she was there, she was declared an honorary guest and invited to join us for breakfast anyhow.

Directions: 2 minutes walk from the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia.

markje4's Profile Photo
markje4 Mar 13, 2013 at 4:42 AM

I found the Sebnem Hotel on Virtual Tourist site and can not speak highly enough of the service, the breakfast spread, the location, the rooftop terrace...
From my first email contact, I was made to feel a welcome guest and was certainly treated as such on my arrival. Although I took advantage of the hotel-arranged airport transfer on my arrival at the start of my trip, I found the metro to and from the airport very easy to negotiate on my subsequent arrival at the end of my trip. And at 1.5TYL (I think) much cheaper than a car/minibus transfer.
The Sebnem is so central to all the major tourist attractions that it made exploring the city so easy.
I will be back in Istanbul in August this year (2013) and have no desire to stay anywhere else!

Nearby Hotel Sebnem

Hotel Sebnem

• Sebnem Hotel Istanbul

Address: 1 Adliye Sokak 52154, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34400, Turkey

10 Photos of Hotel Sebnem

Amenities at Hotel Sebnem

• Free High Speed Internet

Istanbul Travel Forum

Need advice about Istanbul, Turkey? Visit the Travel Forum for Istanbul and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Istanbul hotel reviews

road traffic
water
Ferry
Transportation
Chora church Museum (Kariye )
Haci Abdullah