Hotel Sebnem

1 Adliye Sokak 52154, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34400, Turkey

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Small Hotel, Well Located Sultanahmet District

The Sebnem is a small family operated hotel with 15 ensuite rooms. Located in the Sultanahmet district with many local restaurants within a few minutes walk.

The advantage of the Sebnem is that you can walk to the Blue Mosque and the other famous attractions located in the Sultanahmet district.

Our room was on the smaller side but very clean, airconditioned, ensuite bathroom, TV etc. We only used the room for sleeping as there was a huge roof top terrace with views over the Bosphorus. Several computers were available on the terrace including free WiFi, for guest use.

Breakfast is served on the terrace, and features typical Turkish food. We enjoyed the fresh fruit drinks prepared on request, they were the best I have ever tasted.

Light rail and the metro train were within walking distance.

When booking our accommodation the management offered us an airport tranfer service at a reasonable price. it removed the worry of finding the hotel.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

You pronounce it Shebnem

Photos:
    1. Welcome to the Sebnem
    2. Quiet street
    3-4. Breakfast
    5. Sleep tight

What a find Hotel Sebnem was. Good vibes came first from the emails we exchanged whilst sorting out our bookings (10 people arriving at different times on different days). We were the last to arrive and when we did the others were all already singing their praises of all aspects of the hotel - the location, the staff, the rooftop terrace, the rooms and the breakfasts. Oh, those breakfasts!

But first to our room - Simply furnished, smallish but adequate, everything spotless from the immaculate starched white cover on the canopied bed to the well-fitted bathroom, quiet (we were on the top floor and facing away from the street) - it ticked all our boxes.

Location? Ideal, Right in the heart of Sultanhamet, only a few minutes walk from the Aghia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi and all the other attractions of that part of Istanbul, but in a little dead-end of cross street that finished with some steps to a lower level so that there was no traffic actually outside the hotel.

A corner table on the rooftop terrace with its view of the Sea of Mamara became a favourite spot. Breakfast was served there every day. Wi-fi and free internet use (new laptops and good connections) were always available. An evening barbecue was fun . Post-sightseeing tea, pre-dinner drinks, after-dinner coffee - it was a natural place to gather and compare notes. September evenings can get a little cool in Istanbul, shawls were produced to keep the chill at bay.

Would I stay here again? I already have. September 2011 brought us back to Istanbul and, for the first few days of our stay before moving to the hotel booked by the tour we were joining, we stayed at the Sebnem. It was just as I remembered so , as long as there's a room for me when I want it, I'd recommend it to anyone who is happy to forgo 4 and 5* luxe anonymity for simple comforts and friendly faces - and don't forget those breakfasts.

Unique Quality: How Mama Sebnem manages to produce the range of delicious goodies that feature on the buffet tables at breakfast each day from her tiny kitchen is little short of a miracle. The tables groan with the most fabulous assortment of food and every day produces something new. Tiny pastries of every shape are stuffed with cheese, or fruit, or vegetables. There are cakes and breads and preserves, freshly cooked omelettes and a whole range of yummy side dishes to go with them - or have on their own, cheeses, cold meats, olives, yoghurt, fresh fruit, juices. I cannot think of any other hotel I have stayed in that has produced anything that can compare with the spread set out each morning at the Sebnem.

There was only one problem - what to choose? There was no way you could sample it all - and it all looked, and was, so good. And when one of our party - a latecomer to the group - had to swap hotels as they were fully booked for two of the nights she was there, she was declared an honorary guest and invited to join us for breakfast anyhow.

Directions: 2 minutes walk from the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia.

More about Hotel Sebnem

loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MADAMQUILTPREZ

This hotel made our trip a real sucess. The rooms and hotel were spotless, the people were terrific and very helpful. The staff at the front desk were always there to help, with a smile everytime we walked through the door. Sometimes they were outside just waiting for
one of their guests to come up the block just to help them with packages. I have never felt so welcome to a foreign country. This made the trip a success.

We LOVE the Sebnem!!

by TripAdvisor Member SkyandPatty

May 2007

We just returned from a FABULOUS trip to Turkey - it is a beautiful, gracious country with tremendously friendly people. We think the spirit of the country is embodied by the lovely Sebnem Hotel and the wonderful staff led by Tahir.

The hotel is in a wonderful location - in the heart of Sultanamet, near some pleasant shops and cafes, yet on a quiet and picturesque block. Take a look at the photo's on the Sebnem's website and you'll get a good flavor the for style of this hotel. It is very charming with simple, comfortable rooms decorated with four poster beds and embroidered canopies - very peaceful and cozy after a long day sightseeing & shopping. The rooftop terrace is a spectacular spot to sip your coffee, munch tasty cheese and olives and watch the boats on the Sea of Marmara.

Most importantly the staff is TERRIFIC - so friendly and helpful - it was like visiting friends. We miss Tahir and Emmou already and truly appreciated their many acts of kindness and friendship during our stay.

We are already planning our next trip to Turkey and another stay at the Sebnem is at the top of our list.

Cheers & Happy Trails!

Sky & Patty Williamson

One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in.

by TripAdvisor Member pkibbee

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. True, its not a luxury hotel but the friendly staff more than make up for that. The rooms and facility are spotlessly clean. The beds are very comfy. The shower has hot water 24 hours a day. The breakfast on the rooftop terrace is delicious and fresh. The view is first class. The location is great near Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque. There are lots of restaurants and shops in the neighborhood. The staff go out of their way to be friendly and helpful but not intrusively so. I stay in hotels all over the world and this has to be one of the very best all around hotel I have ever stayed in. I hope to come back to Istanbul very soon and stay there again.

Good value Sebnem

by TripAdvisor Member Hepzi

The position is good, the roof terrace a great place for breakfast. Our room was small but clean though not luxurious and the bathroom was very small. Tahir (the manager) was very helpful and to be met at the airport is excellent. One staff member tried to sell us a carpet which like another reviewer we found annoying. Great recommendation for a Turkish bath - the real version not the tourist one.

Extraordinary service, great location!

by TripAdvisor Member redheadca

The Sebnem Hotel has a great location within a 5 minute walk of Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque & Hagia Sophia. It's also a short walk to the Metro and the Grand Bazaar.

The room we had was a good size, with a comfortable bed and decent size bathroom. The hotel was very quiet. Breakfast was serverd on the rooftop patio with a great view of the Golden Horn.

The biggest plus of the Sebnem, however, is Tahir, the manager. He gave great advice on things to do and see. When we were unable to book the Sebnem on our return since it was completely booked, Tahir arranged for accomodations at a lovely nearby hotel for the same price we paid at the Sebnem.

Book early...this hotel fills up even in shoulder season.

Sebnem is great!!

by TripAdvisor Member Margaritalane

My friend and I spent three nights at the Sebnem in May. It was great! It is located near the new Four Seasons hotel in Sultanahmet. We paid 55 euro per night for a double room (301), which was a tad bit small but not a problem. Everything was very clean. Ensuite bathroom with fabulous water pressure. Our room was next to the breakfast preparation area so it was a little bit noisy in the morning but I always sleep with ear plugs when I travel so it wasn't a problem for me. The breakfast was very nice: a selection of traditional Turkish breakfast foods (yogurt, cucumber, tomato, olives, bread with butter and spreads), cornflakes, tea, coffee, juice. The best part was eating on the terrace, with a view of the sea. The lobby/living room on the ground floor was almost always full of other travelers, making it feel like a kind of "grown-ups" hostel. Also in the lobby is a wonderful collection of books on Istanbul and Turkey. The staff was so helpful and nice to talk to! They were very helpful and laidback. I would definitely stay here if I return to Istanbul, though I've heard you should book in advance as they fill up quickly!

Great hotel, superb location

by TripAdvisor Member WA_my_home

Hotel Sebnem is a wonderful, quirky find. In the heart of Sultanahmet, it's an easy walk to most tourist attractions: Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, and a longer walk to the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Bazaar. Tram service is also just a few minutes' away.

Tahir is the manager of Hotel Sebnem, and both he and his staff really go out of their way to help guests. He freely provides advice and detailed maps of both the Sultanahmet area and Istanbul, for those who want to venture further afield. He has excellent guidebooks he happily lends to hotel guests. A couch in the lobby sometimes serves as an informal meeting place, with guests and hotel staff swapping stories and just generally talking. Tahir truly makes Hotel Sebnem what it is, a convivial and charming place. We stayed for 3 days, and enjoyed our stay a great deal.

Upstairs on the terrace is the breakfast room. Partly covered, it has a view of the Sea of Marmara, and guests may select from a generous buffet a complementary breakfast each morning. Offerings change a bit daily, but always include great Turkish yogurt, packets of honey and jams, cheeses, eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives, as well as coffee and tea. While we were there, we also had boreks (cheese pastries) or coffee cake. For an additional New Turkish Lira, they will provide fresh-squeezed orange juice, squeezed right before your eyes. It's a great way to start the day!

If you are seeking an American-style hotel, this is defintely not the place for you. You won't find huge cushy beds, modern furniture, or marble or carpeted floors. Furniture is older, and the floors are made of wood. But that being said, the beds are comfortable, rooms are clean, there is great water pressure and plenty of hot water, and you get to be in Istanbul, in Sultanahmet, in the center of everything! Our room was surprisingly quiet, and when we return to Istanbul, we will not stay anywhere else.

There is nothing we didn't like about it, and we would recommend Hotel Sebnem to anyone who is able to climb at least a few stairs. Depending on honeymooners' expectations, this could be a great, quirky place to stay, but certainly for singles, couples and families, it's a wonderful place, and the location can't be beat.

The heart of Istanbul

by TripAdvisor Member blackpooltyke

Situated in the main tourist area, the Sebnem is a great centre for exploring this wonderful city, and is also close to the ferry terminals, for trips to the islands and along the Bosphorus.
Our room was cool and comfortable, and there is a lovely roof terrace (looking out onto the Marmara Sea) for breakfast and enjoying a restful drink before heading out for the evening.
The staff were very friendly, always happy to help and advise.

1001 Great Reviews!!!

by TripAdvisor Member spiderflower28

It is difficult to review a place that makes you feel so comfortable and at home that any excellent thing you might want to say about it would come across as boastful. No one likes a braggart, so I will humbly submit to all the wonderful reviews written before me. The atmosphere, the quiet, the rooms, the beds, the water pressure, the awesome service when I blasted the shower head right off the hose, (I really am sorry about that!), the breakfast, the terrace, the honor bar, the air conditioning (I usually try to avoid it, but my sister liked it), the movies dubbed in Turkish showing in the lobby (I love the sound of the language!), the travel tickets and tour advice (hey, I didn't know we could get a guided trip to the hamam! I guess they split guys and girls up at the door anyway...) all deserve my five-dot rating for overall experience. The people though... I cannot rate them, for everywhere you go in Turkey the service is wonderful and the willingness to listen and help is so prevalent you find yourself wondering where the rest of the world went wrong. Tahir, Unal, Meta, Emo, and the ladies on the terrace (I'm sorry I did not get their names) they all are like family, only better. I hope to visit the Sebnem again very soon!

• markje4's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2013 at 4:42 AM

I found the Sebnem Hotel on Virtual Tourist site and can not speak highly enough of the service, the breakfast spread, the location, the rooftop terrace...
    From my first email contact, I was made to feel a welcome guest and was certainly treated as such on my arrival. Although I took advantage of the hotel-arranged airport transfer on my arrival at the start of my trip, I found the metro to and from the airport very easy to negotiate on my subsequent arrival at the end of my trip. And at 1.5TYL (I think) much cheaper than a car/minibus transfer.
    The Sebnem is so central to all the major tourist attractions that it made exploring the city so easy.
    I will be back in Istanbul in August this year (2013) and have no desire to stay anywhere else!