Sehit Mehmet Pasa Yokusu No. 2, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34400, Turkey

Booking.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• A real find in Istanbul

The Spectra Hotel ıs a real find and I strongly recommend it. I am a retired professor from Columbia Uniıversity and am here teaching courses for the summer. The owner of the hotel is Dr. Sumengen who is a retired Physıcs professor from the leadıng universıty ın Turkey. He has kındly offered my wife and me a dıscount since we are staying for an extended period in Istanbul. He has assembled a wonderful staff who have been most helpful to us. They speak English well and are able to offer suggestions about what to see and where to eat.

Each morniıng we have a bountiful breakfast on the rooftop terrace where we look out at the Blue Mosque. Even from our bedroom window we can see thıs extraordinary mosque and at nıght it ıs a very moving sight ın the moonlight as sea gulls swirl above it.

The next tıme we are in Istanbul we are sure to stay at the Spectra Hotel.
    - Show quoted text -

Directions: Near the Blue Mosque

• vituallas's Profile Photo

Great location, Very nice staff and free internet

Unless the furnishing is a bit out of date, It is very clean and the staff is very hepful.
    In addition the location is great, in the heart of Sultanamet, and 15 minutes walking from the port if you want to take a ship to the asian border: Bursa...

Unique Quality: Seeing Blue Mosche while you are having breakfast.

Directions: Sultanamet area

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Decent mid priced hotel near the Sultanahemt

Although I was not overly impressed by the Hotel Spectra, I would recommend it for anyone who desires to be very close to all the important sites in Istanbul. The hote could not be better situated as it only a five minute walk from the blue mosque. In fact the breakfast terrace has a great view of the mosque and the sea too. My problem is that for the price, you might expect a restaurant on site. Also the rooms were basically just passable. Still they did have cable TV if you want it and the staff at least tried to be helpful.

Unique Quality: There is a ten per cent discount if you book via the internet as I did.
    (a warning do not drink at the patio across the street as they grossly overprice the beer)

Directions: On the southwest edge of the Hippodrome

• mightywease's Profile Photo

Olives and the Blue Mosque for breakfast!

The hotel is in a great location. Virtually on the corner of the Hippodrome, about a 2 minute stroll from the Blue Mosque, 5 minutes from Aya Sofya and 10 minutes from Topkapi.
    The rooms are fairly basic and quite small but clean and comfortable. They are all en-suite, have a TV and a fridge.
    The staff are friendly and knowledgable and the atmosphere relaxing. Internet access is free to guests staying in the hotel.
    Having stayed there twice I would definately recommend it, particulary to anyone on a budget.

Unique Quality: The views from the roof, where breakfast is served, are fantastic. Sitting by the window with a plate of olives, cheese, jam and bread overlooking the Blue Mosque and the Bosphorus was magical!

Directions: On the west corner of the Hippodrome

More about Hotel Spectra

Hotel Spectra - A Wonderful Place!

by TripAdvisor Member goseetheworldnow

Hotel Spectra is a very special place. Five years ago I spent four months at this hotel on and off through the spring and summer. This Christmas I was lucky enough to spend twelve days at this lovely hotel. The second night at the hotel the new manager, Hatice, invited myself and two other guests out for pizza after we decorated the lobby Christmas tree. This I will not forget. In addition to being eager to help me with whatever I have needed, I have found myself on numerous occasions enjoying extraordinary conversations concerning culture and history with the staff. The owner of the hotel could not be better. He, Dr. Sumengen, is a kind, genuine, generous, knowledgeable man. Positive energy and an aura of goodness radiate from Dr. Sumengen. Greatly concerned with his guest's welfare, I have received from him needed advice; help concerning a legal contract; and aid in furnishing an apartment. Such a true friend is difficult to find. Each morning the two delightful cleaning women, Gulten and Hatice, greet the guests on the breakfast terrace with a hug and a cheerful "Good morning. How are you?" in Turkish. The enclosed breakfast terrace provides, I believe, the most spectacular view in all of Istanbul - a bird's-eye view of St. Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Hippodrome, the Bosphorus, and the Marmara Sea. Not only is the elaborate breakfast buffet delicious but the warm and cozy atmosphere allows one to easily engage in conversation with the other international guests at the hotel. Having travelled the world for some years it is with experience and my whole heart that I highly recommend Hotel Spectra and crown it as one of my favorite hotels along with Hotel Antigua in Antigua, Guatemala and The Plaza Hotel in New York City.

Comfort and Convenience at the Hotel Spectra

by TripAdvisor Member VirginiaPrincess2

The Hotel Spectra lived up to every review I read, exceeded them in fact. The breakfast buffet was the perfect way to start the day, sitting in the lovely enclosed roof terrace overlooking the Blue Mosque, Haigha Sophia, and the Sea of Marmara. The view is truly breathtaking. Turkish yogurt, eggs, plump dried apricots, green and black olives, a variety of cheese, teas, coffee, bread, more choices than I can list and all delicious.

Hatice, the general manager, is wonderful and can respond to questions about local restaruants and other matters. The hotel owner, Dr. Ziya Sumengen, was a professor of physics before he became a hotelier. He is a weath of information too. Every staff member was friendly and did everything possible to make our stay special. Turkish hospitality exceeded every expectation too.

The location of the hotel is perfect, so close to major sites and within easy reach of the tramway to visit sights like the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market. Many of the major tourist destinations are a short walk from the Hotel.

Our room was small but cozy, with a double and a single which is perfect for a family traveling together. The beds were very comfortable, although we spent very little time in our room since there is so much to see and do in Istanbul.

We spent five days at the Spectra and would definitely return the next time we are in Istanbul.

very special hotel

by TripAdvisor Member luccidream

I had a wonderful stay at Spectra Hotel in Istanbul. First of all I would like to mention how wonderful and kind the owners and all the staff members were. They were very honest and always available for advice and anything you might need. Most of the staff members could speak good english. They would always offer free coffee or tea as well if you were downstairs. The free use of using their computer for the internet was an added bonus. At Hotel Spectra you felt as if you were family.
The hotel location is absolutely the best area to see many sites, and you always felt safe. You could take a walk in the area alone at night and feel safe. I am a married woman that traveled alone and never felt uncomfortable at Hotel Spectra.
The all you could eat buffet breakfast that comes with booking one of the rooms was excellant! And of course the roof top seating area had amazing views! Because I had booked so many nights Dr Sumengen offered to pay my way back to the airport. ( I was already picked up for free when I arrived).
Overall I just have to say my experience at the Spectra Hotel was perfect. I already miss being there and will definately return there again if I come back to Istanbul. Sincerely Nicole Stein from Victoria, Canada

A Canadian View

by TripAdvisor Member Androclesandme

We were sufficiently impressed with the Hotel Spectra that we extended our intial 4 night reservation to cover all 6 nights of our stay in Istanbul. Its outstanding features are the location and the staff.

The Spectra is just off Sultanamet Square, in sight of the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia, and within easy walking distance of the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, Galata Bridge and all the wonderful old city where these attractions are found.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Ali, the desk clerk, went out of his way to be make sure we were comfortable and to help us set up travel arrangements for our few days in Anatolia. His alternate, Zoar, was also very accommodating. And the ladies who serve breakfast are not only unfailingly friendly and cheerful but great impromtu Turkish language coaches also.

The rooms are smallish but clean and comfortable. They serve a more than adequate breakfast and the enclosed rooftop dining room has a spectacular view encompassing the Blue Mosque, the Hafia Sophia with the Sea of Marmara and Asian Istanbul in the background.

We'd certainly stay at the Spectra again.

best choice

by TripAdvisor Member sophia65

Paula - Argentina

Best historical location with four star bedding, matress, pillow and sheets, much needed after hours of sightseeing of the never ending Istambul attractions. Copious buffet breakfast with breathtaking view, and charming staff.

Perfect location for main sights

by TripAdvisor Member katiehertfordshire

wriitten by mother (age 58) and teenage daughter (15) from London
Couldn't be in a better spot! Blue Mosque 3 mins walk, Hagia Sofia approx 5 mins, Topkapi just another couple of mins further. Shopping and restaurants approx 5 mins walk. Emoninu + ferries approx 20-25 mins walk. Variety of eating places to suit all budget ranges within easy walking distance. Hotel is clean and beds comfy. Rooms may be a bit on the small side, but have everything you need, including aircon and mini-fridge. Maybe we had quiet neighbours, but we didn't hear anything much from either side of our room. Our en-suite shower room looked recently refurbished. It also had - and I find this hard to believe girls - a hairdryer which actually has a blast that dries your hair (not the gentle breeze that generally floats out of hotel hairdryers)!
The Reception staff are extremely helpful - and they can arrange a reasonably priced airport shuttle service for you if you are flying in/out Sabiha Gokcen airport.
Breakfast room is on the top floor, and has all-round glass so the views of Blue Mosque, Bosphorous, etc. are wonderful. The Catering ladies are lovely, and their buffet breakfasts are great and replenished frequently - cheeses, tomatoes, cucumber, cake, olives, variety of breads, yoghurt, dried fruit, fresh fruit, cereals, honey in honeycomb!, jams - you name it, they got it! Excellent cuppa too - you know how we Brits love our cups of tea!
For a modestly priced hotel, I couldn't fault it.

• Jun 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Hotel spectra is a real jewel right in the hippodrome.
    What makes this hotel so special human factor,location,and that lovely view from terrace.
    Human factor:when you are on vacation miles away from home ,you look for ?,,don't now how to put this one exactly ...some people that you can rely on that you can be relax and feel safe with his or her smile
    and of course some helpful information about city right?
    well you absolutely will find this at spectra with its crew ,yeah may be some of member might be more decent more helpful etc.like front desk people ,,take Cem for instance,This guy like... when you ask a question about stuffs ,,you get not just your info also he tries to give any info he got for city,and not just that whenever he sees you always a big smile comes towards to you.
    Location: believe it or not one step further from hotel you are at the center of hippodrum.
    Only a few hotel has this in this area.
    View:Magnifisto ,,Don't know how to describe that feeling from top floor''breakfast area''
    like you are inside the history with 3d glasses on you.