Hotel Sultansaray

Inside the Grand BazaarInside the Grand Bazaar

Inner Courtyard of Topkapi SarayiInner Courtyard of Topkapi Sarayi

Fenerbahce V Galatasaray

by Victor250

3 of us going to be in Istanbul for this match, we will have to rely on touts to buy a ticket. A, What is the chances of thier being black market tickets available and B, If they are generaly available how much should we expect to pay?. We will be looking to be in the Fenerbahce area of the stadium. Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Fenerbahce V Galatasaray

by Sirvictor

Today is a very sad day. Galatasaray lost 3-1 againts Fenerbahce last night. Galatasaray lost its 10th match that played on Fenerbahce ground since 10 years.
Galatasaray may win or lost. But our love to Galatasaray will never losts its importance in our hearths.

Travel Tips for Istanbul

Visit Topkapi Palace and...

by OzerUnat

Visit Topkapi Palace and Sutanahmet square. And don't forget watch the sunset from Uskudar. You'll watch the sunset against, Topkapi Palace, Leanders Tower, Marmara sea, Galata, Eminonu, Dolmabahce and Boshorus . (All in one.) I live here. which one?

Bosphorus Fish

by PinkDolphine

Bosphorus Fish Bosphorus fish served in the streets: The locals fish them in front of you, then they fry the fish in these tiny kitchen boats, then they put the fish inside some typical bread and there you go... a tasty fast turkish food.

Turkish Tea

by H-TownJourneyman

One thing I really got into while in Istanbul was drinking tea almost every chance I got. Drinking tea is almost mandatory here. Nevermind the fact the fact that it is really tasty, if you like very strong, hot tea that is, but here having a glass of tea is more of a social experience. People in restaurants, places of business, cafes, even on the street, enjoy striking up a conversation while sipping tea. The tea is traditionally served in a small tulip-shaped glass, with a small spoon to stir in sugar cubes. You can get it either "koyu", strong, or "açik", weak, then dump in as many sugar cubes as you like. While trotting around Istanbul, make a few stops along the way and enjoy a refreshing glass of tea!

Bedri Rahmi Eyuboglu in a Delicatessen

by ozalp

I was returning to my home, Kadikoy from Karakoy. It was a much known path that I walked million times. There is a delicatessen in the spot (we have the same name with this delicatessen), and I remember it was there since I was a little child.
So, when I was walking, I noticed the wall with mosaic in the delicatessen. I approached the window to see it better. The shop was closed so I couldn’t see it closer. I took some photos because it is a wall mosaic of a famous artist, Bedri Rahmi Eyuboglu.

He was a famous painter and a poet. He was born in 1913 and died in 1975. This mosaic is called Kagni. Kagni means a cart which pulled by bulls. You can see it in photos.

You can see some of paintings of Bedri Rahmi in this page:

His poems are very famous, especially Karadut. Here is a small poem of him:
"Bu karpuz

Too red
Had to share it" )

The art of shopping

by Narunj about Laleli Area shops

If you want to buy cloths, shoes or jewelry go to Laleli district. There are "millions" of shops in this area, and you may spend a weak there and still not be able to visit them all.

I wanted to buy a hat in a shop in Laleli, and it cost $10. I tried to bargain but they said it was the minimum price. But later added "By two hats, and you'll get them by the wholesale price." It turned out, that the wholesale price was $5, so I could by 2 different hats for $10! Moreover, I bought some other things in that shop by the half (wholesale) price.

So be careful not to miss such opportunities.

But generally I could by everything for about 30% or more cheaper of the initial price. So bargain, bargain and always bargain!

Yes, here in Istanbul you must know the art of shopping!

Comments