Riu Caribe All Inclusive Hotel

Mimar Mehmet Aga Caddesi, Amiral Tafdil Sokak No. 30-31, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34400, Turkey

More about Riu Caribe All Inclusive Hotel

Charming and welcoming Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member RRRenata

I went to Istanbul last May and had a wonderful time! Hotel Avicenna is very well located, walking distance to the main points of the old city. The installations are really good, as well as the food and the manager is very nice and helpful.
Regards from Brazil,
Renata Dotta

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member danou812

I stayed in the Avicenna Hotel for three nights in October 2006. I chose it based on good reviews on this site and others, and found the positive comments were well founded. The hotel is located in a quiet area of Sultanahmet in close proximity to the Blue Mosque. There are many quaint hotels and restaurants nearby. Traveling alone, I requested a single and was given a spacious room with a comfortable queen-sized bed on the top floor. I had a partially obstructed view of the Blue Mosque from my bed. Very nice. I suspect my room was upgraded, though, because I was unable to find the hotel representative at the airport and had to take a taxi (if you stay three nights or more they'll pick you up). The call to prayer at 5:30 a.m. is loud, so expect an early wakeup call. The rooftop bar has a nice view of the Marmara Sea. The hotel staff was very pleasant, helpful, and spoke excellent English. I paid 55 euro/night through Orbitz. The hotel offered a 10% discount for cash payment as well. ATMs are readily available throughout the city.

I found the Avicenna Hotel to be an outstanding value in a city that offers visitors an amazing array of architectural, historical, and cultural experiences. I would highly recommend this hotel and travelers should put Istanbul on their list of must-see destinations.

You can do better than this!

by TripAdvisor Member Kapeed

We stayed at Avicenna based on other users feedback.

The rooms are very small & bathroom was a shoe closet. My wife and I were walking around Aya Sofia and saw a brand new hotel called Ottoman Imperial Hotel (see my review on trip advisor) & switched our hotel to Ottoman imperial. We paid same amout as Avicenna and rooms were bigger and nicer and quiet.

Good luck!

Friendly, comfortable and great location.

by TripAdvisor Member ellebeeLondon

I stayed here for 4 nights in april with my daughter and sister. Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel room was very clean and comfortable with a balcony giving us a view over assorted rooftops to the Marmara sea - quite spectacular at sunrise! The area around the hotel was ideal for us - the Blue Mosque and its bazaar, the Aya Sofia, TopKapi Palace and Gulhani Gardens being just a few of the wonderful sights just a very short walk from the hotel. Even late at night we felt safe walking around (although there are a few very quiet back streets) There are plenty of restuarants and cafes around offering a wide range of priced menus and waiters who fall over themselves to please. Breakfast at the hotel was a feast - you could literally fill up for the day, hot pancakes, boiled and scrambled eggs,toast,cold meat and cheeses,bread, jams and honey, fresh fruit, tea, coffee, juice and a selection of cereals!!! The breakfast room with a small garden was very clean, well maintained and seemed to have enough room for every one. It was also open for a long time for those who couldn't start the day too early. This is a hotel I would recommend and return to.

Great location but overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member LondonShaila

We've just come back from a four night stay at the Avicenna. Having found the reviews on this site helpful (before we made our choice) I thought I'd add our views. When we got there, we were shown into a small, dark room (Room 101 for anyone who cares to remember) with a window of which only a small portion opened up to let in any air...It was stuffy and claustrophobic. I requested a change which was granted somewhat reluctantly; they first tried to move us to the basement next to the breakfast room before we were moved to a room with a balcony, which is what I wanted. There seemed to be plenty of rooms available so why this reluctance? Is this because we were two women together? I thought the hotel charming overall but overpriced for what it offered, and dinner on the terrace seemed to have the same menu every night - leftovers from the night before??? Who knows...

Shaila

Great time spent in the Avicenna

by TripAdvisor Member KasimAndSue

This hotel is in a great location. It is a great place to stay if you are looking to do a thourough tour of the city as its location is walking distance from the city's main attractions. The rooms were clean and fairly spacious. The staff were extremely helpful. We are an older couple and therefore wanted a room on the ground foor which the management were quite happy to offer us. The breakfast was great, a varied selection to choose from. We recommend this hotel to all of our friends and family in particular to couples looking for a fabulous experience.

Beautiful gem of a hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member meliberk

I chose this hotel after reading reviews on this website and was so very happy that I did.

Too often I have traveled and been met with a small, ugly little room with a twin bed that really puts a damper on a holiday experience.

The room at the Avicenna was a nice size with a great full bed. The room included a seating area and a flat screen TV wall-mounted. The furnishings were lovely and felt well matched to the surroundings. Paintings of harem life adorned the walls.

The best part of the room (#206) was the balcony overlooking the sea. What a pleasant experience to be able to come home after a long day and sit out and read or have a snack overlooking the sea and the hills. Just breathtaking.

The hotel is situated in a perfect location. Very short walk to Blue Mosque, Haigha Sofia, Topkapi and all the Sultanahmet attractions. I walk everywhere, so it was also very easy for someone who is a walker to get to the Bazaars, the ferry area and even across the bridge to Beyoglu. Others may find that more of a challenge.

The one small downside was proximity to the train that runs behind the hotel. It can be noisy, but don't let that deter you from a stay at this hotel.

The staff was gracious and nice. The breakfast was a nice selection of meats, cheeses, yoghurts, cereal, some hot foods and pastries.

The stay came with a one-way transfer between the airport and hotel, so ask about that when you book.

Again, don't hesitate to book here. A charming little treat.

Istanbul CoastlineIstanbul Coastline

Crowds on İstiklal Caddesi - Jan 2010Crowds on İstiklal Caddesi - Jan 2010

View from the Asian part (Harem) Kiz KulesiView from the Asian part (Harem) Kiz Kulesi

Inside the CarriageInside the Carriage

Trip Advise

by smokey77

We (4 adults) are arriving in Istanbul on Dec 23 and departing on Dec 31. Have a few questions for anyone who has taken similar trips:
1) Most convenient (but not expensive!) way to get to my hotel from Ataturk airport. My hotel info is Istanbul Marriott Hotel Asia Kayisdagi cad. No:1 Kozyatagi. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this hotel?
2) Best and least expensive (besides "foot"!) form of travel in Istanbul to reach major sightseeing areas. Are there bus/metro passes available for a week of travel?
3) Had been considering squeezing in Athens, Greece for a couple of days while in Istanbul. However, not too sure of that idea anymore after hearing about the sights to see in and around Istanbul. Has anyone on this forum done an Istanbul - Athens trip in 7 days and if so, how was it? Would you recommend it?

I would truly appreciate and welcome any other relevant suggestions to make the most of our 7 day trip.
Thanks

by hawkhead

Stay in Istanbul; there's more than enough to keep you interested and occupied for the week you will be there.

by Sirvictor

it is a delux hotel. but very far from the ancient peninsula called old Istanbul or Sultanahmet. The hotel is in the asian part of istanbul.old istanbul in on Europa. coming from the Ataturk international airport you must take a taksi you will cross the bosphourus bringe to asian part. without a taxi you can not reach there. TURKİSH Hamam of the hotel is very nice. dont forget to try. for xmass and new years eve ı thinh there will be a feast at the hotel.

If you want to go to historical peninsula called Sultan Ahmet you must take the taxi to Kadikoy (READ: KADİKOEY) waiting infront of the hotel. Kadikoy is out of touristic places. It is alla turca. I advice you visit the market (in Turkish. carshi) Kadikoy is also the main ferry station to European part called Karakoy or Eminonu (read: Eminoenue) There is 24 hours ferry. There are also private boat services between two parts. the ferry or boats connect ech parts to the Famous Galata Bridge. Eminonu and Karakoy is two points of the bridge. Karakoy is on right hand side and Eminonu on left. From Eminonu you can walk half an hour to Sultanahmet.
From kadikoy to hotel you must take the taxi. Istanbul never sleeps.
mary xmass and happy new year

by amouramour

Hi,

Marriott is a very good hotel.It's luxurious,rooms are very comfortabel and clean.If you like you can also take Havas busses from Ataturk Airport to Kozyatagi.But if you're 4,you can also take a taxi and share taxi fee.Havas's internet site is ; http://www.havas.com.tr/en/default.asp

As this hotel is on the Asian side,you're a little bit far away from the historical places.But there are also nice places to wonder aroun.For example Bagdat street,it's a very nice street with cafes,restaurants and shops.You can go to Uskudar to see some mosques.From Uskudar you can take a boat to Eminonu or Kabatas.

Have a nice travel.

by Sirvictor

Yes it is true. take the havas bus (the airport sercice) to Kozyatağı on asian side. then take the taxi to hotel.you will spare quite a good money a sum of 3/4.

by albaaust

Like the other respondent..spend you time in Istanbul/Turkey. We went to Athens after Turkey and wish we had stayed in Istanbul. Apart from the Acropolis and other ruins not much to see. Besides the Turkish people were very friendly and welcoming.

Comments