Star City Hotel

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 23% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

More about Istanbul

Ottoman march bandOttoman march band

Streets of IstanbulStreets of Istanbul

Views down from the 1st floor balconyViews down from the 1st floor balcony

"Evil Eye" souvenirs for sale"Evil Eye" souvenirs for sale

Mixed Hamman/Spa

by kirkmeister

Hello
My husband and I are going to Istanbul for Valentines weekend and would like to experience a Hamman together. I understand that men and women usually go to separate Hammans or are separated once there. Are there any places where we could go where men and women can stay together e.g. in a hotel or somewhere else if this is not available in a traditional place.
We experienced a private Hamman in Marrrakesh in the Bains de Marrakesh and wondered if there is anything similar in Istanbul. We realise this may cost more.
Thanks
k

by OH_DK

Hello k
I tried one place in 2009 that I found a bit expencive, but service was very good and the building was very interesting and old - see here:
Ove

by Tuna_ank

Hey OH_DK,
Did you come to Turkey this month without telling us! :-)) It must be 2007.
That hamam is 4 times more expensive than Ankara's hamams. I don't know other Istanbul hamams. But it is worth for valentines day I guess. And it is good to have a mix hamam althought it is not traditional.
Have a good trip.

by call_me_rhia

hello
i have been recently to the same hamam... beautiful old building, and a bit overpriced. but good service. my advice is to go in the middle of the afternon, when it's quiet. we left at 5 Pm and it was getting kind of packed, with plenty of people waiting and a lot of noise.
have fun

by OH_DK

Of course Tuna ;) - I intended to write 2007! - and it was September just a few days before we tried a much cheaper hamam in Ankara - but still I think it was worth to try the Istanbul hamam.
Ankara hamam was seperated, and I was together with men who couldn't speak english - in the Istanbul hamam I meet many tourists that I could talk with.

by fouads

hi

If you search for a nice hamam day i think if you try go from Istanbul to Bursa one day and go to Termal area , there is 2 good hotel inside nature and they ave mixed hamam and also warm swimming pool . as i remember it cost about 140$ for 2 person 1 night with the breakfast and and Hamam and swim pool free .
if u like it try book before 5 days cause some times it,s fully booked

Hope you have great time

Best Wishes

by kirkmeister

Excellent advice. I cant wait to get to istanbul now - the photos I have seen are so beautiful. My only worry is that it may rain and be very cold in february

thank you all very much for your help
Have a great day
k

Travel Tips for Istanbul

istanbul

by brazzi

i have just returned from my first visit to Istanbul,and had as i allways have when travelling to new destinations,in the back of my mind whatch out for this area watch out for this person.
i allways go to places with an open mind,(but still aware).i found Istanbul and its people at least the ones i met,to be excellent hosts.
any area i went to,(and i go to the places people dont recomend)i did not have any problems,in fact the opposite locals went out of their way to help.
even the rough looking doormen trying to get people into their clubs,because they had lots of girls,were apologetic and helpful when i told them i was happily married for 30+ years and had 5 girls at home allready,and i was just looking for a local bar for a quiet beer.
Istanbul surprised me because it was the opposite of what i had heard from reviews,(these people must live sheltered lives).there might be unsavoury characters but the same as everywhere,where else would a taxi driver show you to bus stop 50 metres away to get you on your way.
I look forward to my next trip.

Smoke a narguile!

by Svillegas

It's a huge pipe when you can put uncountable varyties of tobacco: mint, chocolate, strawberry, cherry, banana, peach, etc. It doesn't cointain any physicotropical substances so, don't worrry about it.

But try to avoid the masses of tourist that do that, next to Buhara Hotel (see my accomodation page) there's an small and peaceful tea saloon when you can enjoy it with the magnific treat of their owners and workers, I'm sorry but I don't remember the name of the place.

You can find as well some places where you can see a show as well, like for example “derviches” dancing. It is not real, and it’s done for the tourists to have a nice time, but it’s nice to see it. This photograph is from the Mesala cafe (near the blue mosque, in a small baazar).

Caddebostan Balikadamlar sports club

by Tdiver

Just around the corner from me and where my wife learned to dive.Great student courses available with a great bunch of people.Courses run from April-October.Diving usually in the pool,on the nearby islands and at Ibrice,near Gallipoli. Everything you need is rentable.

Beaches around Istanbul/Sile

by traveloturc

The beaches in the Anatolian side are situated in a place named Sile.(pronounciation Shelai)
This is a lovely resort town on the Black Sea coast, 50 km from Uskudar. The famous, extensive beaches of Sile are reached partly by a motorway, and partly by a narrow road winding through the forest. The small fishermen's' harbor, the ruins of a Genoese fortress and the lighthouse are worth seeing. To the west of the village the beaches extend uninterrupted, and to the east there are a series of small, sandy bays. The summer months are quite crowded and lively, and accommodation is readily available in the numerous hotels and pensions.

Carpets

by hekate about ER & NE & MET

I should say that I had visited the ER & NE & MET carpet shop dring my previous visit to Istanbul back in April 2002.

So, the info I am giving could be a bit outdated. However, the fact that they still have their web-site gives me hopes that what I have to say about this place might still be valid :)

Probably you are wondering how did I get there on first place. Well, me and a friend of mine - American boy were walking around Sultanahmet area and we wanted to see the Blue Mosque.

When we were about to enter the yard a young boy approached us and offered us something like a guided tur for free. The only thing we had to do is to go to his shop afterwards, no obligation to buy - just to look around :)))

We went to the shop with the intention only to look around but after drinking a couple of glasses of apple tea and stearing at endless number of carpets and rugs my friend finally bought one.

I should say the service was really good and they were treating us extreemly nice even though we made it clear we can not afford to spend too much. The guy who showed us around the Blue Mosque even took us out for dinner :) ER & NE & MET are specialised in seling rugs, carpets and kilims, both old and new.

There is an impressive variety of carpets from different regions but I think mostly from Anatolia. As far as remeber it was a family run business and their origin was from Anatolia although I am not quite sure because it was a long time ago.

Note:
I do not have a picture from the shop, so I borrowed one from their site. It really looked like that :) Well, I think the price is highly negotiable and it depend on the quality and the size.

The god new is that they offer free delivery with international courriers all over the world in a week or 10 days.

What actually convinced my friend to buy the rug was the fact that he could pay with is credit card. The accept all well-known credit cards.

Comments