Sumengen Hotel Istanbul

Mimar Mehmet Aga Caddesi, Amiral Tafdil Sokak No 21, Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34400, Turkey

Sumengen Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Elena_blue's Profile Photo

Central ottoman time building, cossy hotel

It is a small ottoman wooden building. Interior with marbles and heavy wooden furniture, retains an old times charm.
    Room not small, with a window, no balcony, no view. Well decorated room. Bathroom with beautiful blue tiles, type of Iznik. There was a problem the night we were ther with a broken pipe in the bathroom and we were transfered that night to another room - I suppose these things don't happen often.
    Reception helpful.
    Beakfast was served at the terrace of the right next door bestwestern htl -I suppose under the same management-. Breakfast was a typical buffet, not so fresh goods. View from this terrace excellent -you can't have everything! ;-)
    ITS MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY: CENTRAL, CLOSE TO BLUE MOSQUE.

Directions: Opposite the entrance of Arasta bazaar, at the other end of the small str.

• Avoid this hotel

ess we didn't get de luxe suite as we were only an after thought for the hotel but the room we did get was small and grotty with dirty carpet and toilet with two single beds supposed to be a double. We arrived late at night and consoled ourselves with the knowledge that we'd be gone out of there at the crack of dawn next morning which we were. The breakfast was basic and the web pictures of the hotel are testement to a clever photographer(aren't they usually) as in reaWe stayed here for one night and its just as well it was only for one night because we'd have been better off in a cell in the local jail. The hotel we had booked had an over booking and asked us if we'd mind staying here for one night then return to their hotel, we agreed to do so outside the hotel. In fairnlity its a lot more run down when you actually see it, steer well clear of it.

• What Gives All Turks a Bad Name

I was a guest September 28th and 29th, 2007. I had booked my reservation online and, as required, I pre-paid. Upon checking out on September 30th, I was told to pay again! The shuttle to the airport was coming at any minute and I had no time to argue. Now I have to spend my time trying to collect from the online booking agent. In addition to the thievery, the hotel staff, upon finding out that we were planning to book tours through a non-hotel provider, became extremely hostile! I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE!

Directions: Near Blue Mosque

• agokturk's Profile Photo

Nice hotel in Sultanahmet district

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the accomodations and staff at the Sumengen Hotel in Istanbul. We found the hotel on the internet but couldn't find any recommendations or independent ratings on the place. Deciding to take the risk, we booked four nights. The price and location were both top-notch. Friends staying just a block away paid twice as much and didn't have the Marmara Sea view that we did. A very nice little hotel. The room was a bit small by American standards but no smaller than our friends paying more.

Unique Quality: Excellent bed-and-breakfast plan with our meal served on the top deck with a beautiful view of the sea. Indoor and outdoor seating allowed us to get up-close-and-personal with an aggressive seagull that tried to steal part of our breakfast. The alert staff came running to chase the bird away. Breakfast roll was saved! Menu included fresh fruit, vegetables, bread and other baked goods, meats, cheeses, coffee and tea. Very complete.

We didn't use the hotel's hamam (bath) opting instead to go to one of the larger ones. Our traveling party was quite large and we felt we would have overwhelmed their facility. However, it is available and the staff was very willing to call in a masseur if we wanted.

• Kars's Profile Photo

Feel at home...

Fully satisfied...

Sure recommending who seeks a home-warmness,away from luxury,but comfortable and enough to remember...

Unique Quality: Yeah,i live in Istanbul...
    But again,i satayed in Obelisksumengen,like a tourist with my Bro and my Visitors from abroad.
    I am appriciated by myself with this opinion to spend a week at a nice place like Obelisksumengen,with a warm atmosphere and friendly staff.
    prices may vary due to high season by the end of May.

Directions: A short walk from Sultanahmet,Blue Mosque...
    Attached pic. from hotel's webpages...

• jonturk's Profile Photo

Charming Hotels

Istanbul Obelisk & Sumengen Hotel Enjoy your holiday at the Biggest Ottoman House in the heart of old Istanbul.

Unique Quality: ROOMS
    All of our 73 comfortable rooms have private bathrooms,
    cable TV,minibar, telephone, hair-dryer, air condition and radio. A 19th century Ottoman Housetastefully converted
    into a luxury hotel, furnished in Ottoman style.

FACILITIES
    We offer Jogging, Cycling, Hunting, Diving, Sailing,Turkish Bath,Generator.
    And We transport Old City Center, Walking Distance to the Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, The Underground Cistern, Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar, Airport 18km.

DINNING
    We have 2 Restaurant(s), Indoor Capacity: 170, Outdoor Capacity: 70, 2 Bars (Terrace,Lobby)In a authantic atmosphere, presenting light snacks and a wide selections of hot and cold beverages at the fourth floor of Obelisk Section. On the second floor of Sumengen Section, you will have the chance to taste Turkish Cuisine and International Cuisenes with sea view.We have also Terrace Cafe & Snack Bar.

Room Types

Not: Breakfast Included

More about Sumengen Hotel Istanbul

recommend Sumengen Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member FernLady

We had an excellent experience at Sumengen Hotel in Istanbul, located in a historic old Ottoman house in the Sultanahmet district, very convenient to Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, Arasta Bazaar, and many small and charming restaurants. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was generous, served in a lovely sunlit room. The staff, in particular the front desk staff, was extremely friendly and helpful (as are most Turkish people). We would definitely return to this hotel.

Staying in Sumengen

by TripAdvisor Member AthenspanosGR

20 July 2008
I stayed in Sumengen hotel in July. Excellent location, big, clean and comfortable rooms, the service was very good, the stuff very friendly and helpful. Magnificent view from the terrace. I highly recommend this hotel.

A hit in Istanbul

by TripAdvisor Member tomorten

During our one-week stay in Istanbul, we had the pleasure to live in Sumengen Hotel. This small, cosy hotel was for us a real hit. From our arrival to the departure we had the feeling of beeing special guests. The staff was friendly and helpful, giving us a lot of good advices concerning what to experience in Istanbul. They are now renovating the hotel and while eating breakfast you will have a splendid view over the sea. There are so many hotels in Istanbul, but I would go for Sumengen.

Tore, Norway

Now after renovation good hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member MaartjeFromHolland

We stayed here for 8 nights, we were the first guests to arrive after the renovation. They were still busy for the finishing touches but the rooms were really beautiful! I read the reviews before I went to Sumengen hotel and was afraid what to expect. But they made the rooms very big, beautiful with all comfort available.
The service is great, what an hospitality! We are from Holland and we never had experienced this kind of service. They will help you with al kind of things.
The location of the hotel is perfect. In walking distance of all major sights (blue mosque, Haghia Sophia, Topkapi Palais). And the train and tram is also nearby.
You would think I must be friends of the hotel owners but I am really not! We had a great time in their hotel. The breakfast we enjoyed on top of the roof of the next door hotel. They are still finishing their own roof terrace. The view over the Bosporus is amazing.
So, forget about all the former reviews and give them a knew change after this huge renovation.

Sumengen Hotel

by hawkhead

Has anyone stayed at this hotel in Istanbul? If so, I would appreciate any comments, etc.

RE: Sumengen Hotel

by bosphorus

it is a good one in Sultanahmet area and one of the oldest ones. successful choice!

RE: RE: Sumengen Hotel