The Byzantium Hotel

Cankurtaran Mah. Akbiyik Cad. No/29 Sultanahmet, Akbiyik cad No 29 Sultanahmet, Istanbul, 34122, Tur

The Byzantium Hotel & Suites
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 112% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• shehnaaz's Profile Photo

Beautiful Hotel with Great Views of Marmara Sea

Stayed for 10 days.We were given a beautiful room with panoramic views of the Marmara. I would recommend, if you can, to spend the extra, the views amazing. I could see the Princess Islands from my bed. Coming from a busy city like Dubai, this was just what I needed for my vacation.
    The breakfast was good enough, even after 10 days, we were not bored...thats saying alot since I travelled with a fussy teenager, and she was happy enough....Thanks for including the Simit...The breakfast room was hot at most times, we were told that we could eat breakfast on the rooftop, but it was too hot, so we skipped. I had the same view from my room anyway.
    The spa is chargeable, reasonable but EXCELLENT. I had a package treatment, the Hamam and a massage. The hamam is private so you can enjoy the experience in comfort. I have to confess, I was at some point out of my senses and just allowed the lady to do her thing....AMAZING. If you staying, dont miss this experience. It was my birthday treat to myself and what a fabulous one. Had one before in Antalya, but this one was way better.
    Also there is internet available in the spa area for guests, free of charge which is helpful.
    All in all, a great hotel in a lovely location, minutes away from the Blue Mosque, Haga Sophia, etc.
    Thank you Ms Zehra, sorry we didnt get to say Bye, and Mr Cenzig, and the wonderful housekeeping staff, always ready to assist with smiles on their face.
    You made our visit soo very special.

Unique Quality: Beautiful Views, Great Central Location, Wonderful Service staff and if you do stay here, enjoy a fabulous Hamam treatment.

• Good Hotel - Don't ask them to get you a cab

This hotel was very nice. Our room had a gorgeous view of the Bosphorus, perhaps one of the best views I have ever had from any hotel I have stayed in.

The view from the roof is incredible of the Blue Mosque and the Bosphorus.

The Sultan Ahmet area is nice but probably one of the most touristy areas.

Public internet is there but hard to find. The breakfast was good.

Just don't ask them to call you a cab. There was clearly a kickback thing going on with either the hotel or someone that worked there - where the cab driver overcharged us by almost double (luckily my girlfriend travels to Turkey often and knew what was going on).

Unique Quality: One of the best views I have ever seen of the city and ships moving in and out.

More about The Byzantium Hotel

Byzantium Hotel excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member CotswoldsArea

I stayed at the Byzantium Hotel for 2 nights on business in December 2008 as the rate was very reasonable and I was on a limited budget. For the price I paid I cannot fault the hotel.

The location was very central, just around the corner from Sultanahmet Square. I felt very safe walking around as a female on my own in the evening.

The room I was allocated was a twin for single occupancy, plenty large enough for one single person or two people sharing, and had a view over the Bosphorus for which there was no supplement payable.

The staff were extremely friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. My laptop did not work in my room but when I asked for help someone came to my room immediately to assist.

The only minor point I would make is that the cupboard was quite small for two people sharing or for a longer stay than 2 nights.

In addition I was allocated a room with shower and would have preferred a room with bath but it wasn't high on my wish list. I am not sure whether any of the rooms have a bath instead of a shower.

I would certainly book the Byzantium Hotel again and intend to do so for my next business trip in April.

Great value for the money and a helpful staff too

by TripAdvisor Member Lomchoey

The Byzantium Hotel welcomed our group of international students from Webster University in Geneva with genuine warmth and insider's savoir-faire. The staff organized transport, booked restaurants and provided travelers' tips. (Commendations to Mr. Cengiz Ciftar). The breakfast table was fully laden (though it would have been improved by real Turkish tea). Excellent maid service. (One came running out as we prepared to leave with a handful of computer and Ipod plugs that had been left behind). Some rooms are smaller than others. The sea view is spectacular. Great location with front room views of Hagia Sopha and Sultanahmet..

Good Hotel Grate Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member panosmon

If you are looking for a hotel in the center of the old city (Shoultanahmet) with a fantastic Hamam -Foam Bath(don't hesitate to try it) in a reasonable price only a few minutes from all grate monuments (AyaSofia TopKapi etc) this is the place you need !! We stayed for five nights and the only negative thing to mention was the noise of the room (interior from next door rooms and exterior from the night crowded streets of Shoultanahmet
And if you ever get in Istanbul i definitely recommend this car company: http://www.istanbulhotelstransfer.com/ The guys will take you from and to the airport with same price a taxi will charge you!! They will wait you at the airport helping with your luggage's etc. For me as a have travel a lot by plane (New York Mexico Asia Europe) its really important to have someone trusted to wait for you outside the airport , to drive you save and economically to your hotel (it cost us 20 euros from airport to Soultanahmet about 30 minutes driving)

Very nice hotel but above all, perfectly located.

by TripAdvisor Member W63Fre

Although they forgot to pick us up at the airport as agreed (in their defence, our plane was delayed) our stay at the Byzantium was perfect. The room was not very big but comfortable, clean and adequately equiped. Staff was very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast was good.
But what I liked best is the location: in the centre of Sultanahmet, a 2 mins walk to the major sights and close to the tram stop + in a charming and lively street full of bars and restaurants - the restaurant next to the hotel is very nice (not cheap, but ...) Our room was located at the back of the hotel and was very quiet but I can imagine the rooms on the street-side might not be.

Ideal location, good value but small rooms and loud if your neighbours are noisy...

by TripAdvisor Member tweedledee4

We found a welcoming reception desk with friendly staff which was a good experience as we had come from the airport feeling a little ripped off by a 'shuttle service' (our own fault for being talked into it!). We were given a choice of two rooms, one on the front of the building and a smaller room at the back. We chose the smaller room as I had read another (tripadvisor) review where the guest found the front-facing rooms loud, which would have been the case, as our stay was smack bang in the middle of the UEFA cup final in Istanbul..... all pretty good-natured, fair play to the German and Ukrainian fans involved.
Room was small but comfortable but the air conditioning was a bit mysterious, going off and on at strange intervals. It would definitely be needed in full working order from June onwards as we had a couple of low 30 degree C days where it was hard to sleep in the heat. We could also hear full conversations through the vents in our bathroom.... felt like I knew our Aussie neighbours a little too well, and there was in general a good deal of internal noise within the hotel. So for those of us lazy individuals who like to sleep in on holidays, not great.

Location is superb, right between the haghia Sophia and Blue Mosque and near Topkapi palace. Everything is walkable to in Sultanahmet. You must go to the Roman cistern in Sultanahmet (Yerebatan cerenici, or something like that) - it is truly amazing, and great to step in off the street into the cool cavernous atmosphere.
There are lots of restaurants nearby: the Magna Palace next door was pretty good, and I must also give special mention to Just Bar just across the road - great music, very friendly staff and good strong cocktails!!
All in all, good value for money, the location being excellent.

Nice hotel - nice food - great location - but overbooked on arrival

by TripAdvisor Member Monkeyzoe

We booked into the Byzantium after searching on the internet for a decent priced hotel in a good location which had good facilities. The Byzantium ticked all the boxes.

We read some reviews on Tripadvisor and most of the complaints we could live with - it sounded nice. One stood out and we thought we would check the issue out before we left and that was that the hotel had overbooked the rooms on one occasion meaning that someone who had booked through a third party (they had used Venere.com) arrived to find themselves without a room there and having to stay at a different hotel. We had booked through Expedia and thought that we should call the hotel and check the status.

When we called them, I gave them our names and they had all the details so I breathed a sigh of relief.

So - the day of departure came and we set off. After 9 hours of travelling from the UK, we arrived at the hotel to find that they had overbooked us and had moved us to a hotel across the road. As we had paid in advance via Expedia we did not have to pay anything else but we were very cross as we had chosen to stay at the Byzantium and not the other hotel, and we had even checked in advance that the booking was ok. They moved us to Villa Pacha which was nice - on the plus side, it had a great shower with lots of jets that shoot out everywhere - on the negative side, our room was by the reception and I was woken up by the receptionist playing with his mobile phone. Also I had a bad back when I went and there was no lift. The Byzantium said that in recompense they would upgrade us to a seaview room and let us use the spa for free. Now this would normally excite me but I am pregnant and cannot use spas for the time being.

When we came the next day to try and check in again we overheard another couple arrive and they had the same problem as us - that there were no rooms for them. So this is not an isolated incident! We eventually got our room and found it was a twin room and not a king size bed as we had originally ordered. But this was solved by pushing the beds together, so was not worth getting upset about. The room was was lovely with a fantastic view of the sea and the asian coastline beyond. It was very quiet (I read some reviews where they said it was noisy) and had great facilities. It is in a great location - the views from the rooftop terrace were second to none - to one side there is the sea and to the other there is the Blue Mosque. Also the street it is on is lined with restaurants and at night they are lit by low lights and it looks really pretty. The breakfasts are nice too - cherrries, strawberries, watermelon... lovely. If it had not been for the first night I would have given it a higher rating. A very nice hotel but they need to sort out their booking system. Also - I would recommend a great restaurant - Cafe Amedros - found via the Tripadvisor site. Lovely food. It is situated just off Divan Yolu.

Unbelievable hospitality!!

by TripAdvisor Member moba102

Upon our arrival to the hotel, late one night, the staff at the front desk were SO kind and that hospitality did not wane one time. The hotel is very clean and close to many of Istanbul's must see sights. GREAT hotel and value!

Excellent value for money hotel in superb location

by TripAdvisor Member Gordon_9

Have just come back from a wonderful four nights in the Hotel Byzantium,Istanbul.Staff were helpful and friendly and the room was clean,fresh and well air conditioned.
Meals could be taken in the Dining Room ,on the roof terrace or at the front of the hotel for people watching. Location is superb within a five minute walk of three major sites.
Took advantage of the hotel's pickup and return service from Ataturk airport which saved some hassle.

Comments