Ataturk Mah., St. John Street No:7, Selcuk, Turkey

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

• LNMC1N2's Profile Photo

Still Rocks!

I have just made my second trip to Turkey and second time to stay at Hotel Bella in Selcuk.
    WOW have these guys made some changes.
    They closed Christmas 2006 for renovation, just finished everything when huge fire devasted the whole new terrace area end of January 07. They are so lucky fire was contained to terrace only, as all bathrooms had been newly renovated and rooms with new bed linen, covers and towels.I remember this place being pretty fantastic before, but now, it is even better if that is possible! .

They still offer the same great services, running people to and from Ephesus and all around the place. Helping with travel arrangements and advice and still producing wonderful food from their restaurant.

I see they have moved their carpet shop to the hotel, but I never heard any hard sell. I went in to look, no hard sell on me either, even though I wanted carpet, I couldnt make up my mind and said no, (too hard to make a choice as they have such a large selection of beautiful, quality carpets, runners, bed covers, pillow cases and decorative wall hangings), they never pressured me over the next 3 days I stayed to make a decision or visit the carpet shop again. Although I did at the last minuet and just love the carpet I purchased. Which I found out later was very good quality and I got at a reasonable price. I have to say on top of that, throughly enjoyed (again) Nazmi’s information given on the history of the carpets. An experience in itself to be enjoyed!.

I cant speak highly enough of these guys and their whole family who work in the hotel.
    Great people, sense of humour, helpful, pleasant, friendly. Hotel clean, rooms clean, beds comfortable, great food. Breakfast on terrace in the mornýng under big umbrellas, with such a great view, this place is to die for if your looking for somewhere really good to stay in Selcuk.
    I would recommend you book in advance, they are so popular rooms are booked quickly.

Single USD35, 45 YTL - Double USD45, 60 YTL

Unique Quality: Great Views, great food, close to all historic sites.

Directions: Opposite St Johns Basilica

• LNMC1N2's Profile Photo

Bella - Bravo Simply the Best

“Hotel Bella”
    I had the most pleasant stays in this hotel. I have used Selcuk and “Bella” as a base, staying here 2-3 times now for 1 or 2 days, before heading away on new travels through Turkey.
    Erdal and Nazmi, owners of the hotel (and the carpet shop), were the most helpful, hospitable generous people I could have met. Not only with information, bookings, advice on travel plans, but giving of their time, hospitality and friendship. All the staff are genuinely lovely and very honest they will not give you false or misleading information.
    Hotel rates including breakfast very good for the quality of accommodation, service and food.
    The rooms are decorated with traditional Turkish linens, carpets, curtains etc. Very comfortable, well maintained and clean. The upstairs terrace restaurant is fantastic. Carpets cushions antiques giving a very “atmospheric” feel. The restaurant serves traditional food prepared fresh daily at very reasonable prices.
    Hotel Bella is superbly located for easy access to all major sites. Straight across from St Johns Basilica, a 5 min walk to main bus station and village. All sites worth seeing Efesus, Virgin Mary’s House, Seven Sleepers, Sirince, etc “Bella” offer free pick up\drop off service(yes as most other hotels do) also from the ferry port if coming by boat and by arrangement from the airport at Izmir.
    As for the “Carpet” sales pitch, I never felt under any obligation or pressure to buy. Although confession, I did. Nazmis presentation and knowledge is an education in itself, well worth listening to, even if you do not buy carpet.
    I highly recommend “Hotel Bella”. The Owners, staff, accommodation, food, access to historical sites, services you would be hard pressed to find better. If your staying for 1 day or 4 make this your home. It will be easy to understand the meaning of the ceramic tiles on the wall, that you will read on check in:
    “Come as a guest – Leave as a friend”.

Unique Quality: Good Room Rates. Close to major sites. Clean. Great Owners & staff. Great Atmosphere.
    Great Food.

Directions: Diagonally opposite St Johns Basilica - on the corner - you cant miss it.

• Best Hotel in Ephesus' Area

The rooms are charming, comfortable beds, private balconies, private bathrooms with showers, huge breaksfast is included, dinner is offered for a small fee. You would be idiotic not to eat dinner on the glorious terrace overlooking St. John's Basilica, populated storknests and the Ayasuluk Fort. The meals are the best in Selcuk and so is the company. The owners, Nazmi and Erdal, are friendly, easy-going, ready to accomodate and speak many languages. Dinner can be a solitary affair, but eating in the company of the other guests is the best. We recommend this hotel over any other in the area - indeed, in most of Turkey.

Unique Quality: Hotel Bella is close to Ephesus, Maryemana (where the Virgin Mary lived and died after Jesus' crucifixion), St. John's Basilica, Ayasuluk Fort, Pamukak Beach, Aphrodisias, Izmir, Kusadasi (where there is an excellent hospital), Priene, Miletus, Didyma and many other interesting places.

More about Hotel Bella

Excellent Choice

This is a wonderful small hotel with very nice bedrooms, and a terrace for breakfast and dinner with a great view. You get personalized attention from the friendly two owners. Free of charge the staff will drive you everywhere you want to go and pick you up whenever you ask them. I loved this place abd would go back.

Nice, but there's a price...

by TripAdvisor Member Diplomatic_Spouse

My wife and I stayed here for two nights over Memorial Day weekend 2006. It's a nice little hotel, cheap (50 TRL/night), and practically next door to Efes (Ephesus). What's good is that it's clean, comfortable and they give you free shuttle rides to local areas, including Ephesus. Also their breakfast (included) is really nice with your choice of eggs along with your standard Turkish breakfast - breads, jams, cheeses, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, fruits. They also serve dinner at night, and you should take advantage of it for at least one night because it's cheap, and delicious. Now the catch is that the hotel owners' main business is selling carpets, which they do right next door. To their credit, they tell you this straight off and you're sort of expected to at least visit their shop and hear their sales pitch, which will take about an hour. They don't put any pressure on you to buy anything, but still, it's like almost like a timeshare presentation. I would recommend it for first time visitors, but I probably won't be returning for a second visit.

We were treated like royalty!

by TripAdvisor Member Travelerkn1

We just got back from a trip to Turkey, and highly recommend the hotel that we stayed in near Ephesus. We were met at the ferry and transported to the Bella (a half hour drive) at no extra charge. Our charming driver (Savash) gave us a great overview/education of the region as we drove through. There were 6 of us staying there, and Erdal and Savash ushered us to the top floor covered terrace, where they gave us chai and mezes on the wonderfully breezy porch while they transferred our luggage to our rooms. They took us to the museum and some other sights that afternoon and set us up with a great guide (Mr. Chon) for the ruins the next day. All in all, although we were only there for one night, they made our stay very special!

Tricky situation....please read review

by TripAdvisor Member reykjavik

PROS:

Hotel is great. Staff is great. View of the basilica from roof terrace is great. Free rides anywhere, rooms are spacious and air condition is excellent (which is of utmost concern in Selcuk in the summer). The rooftop terrace is so beautiful and relaxing that I literally could have stayed there for the rest of my life. Free internet, and a TV with every channel on the rooftop terrace, play some backgammon and take in the views of St Johns Basillica and the storks on their nests and you will think you are in heaven. The breakfasts were the best we had all trip and the food was decent (but little variety outside of the turkish basics).

CONS:

With only 10 or so rooms, you can't pay the bills selling them at 35 bucks a night. So they will try to sell you carpets. This is not how hotel bella does business, this is how Selcuk does business. You will not find a hotel that does this differently. They dont pressure you into buying anything (although if you are not interested do not even go into the store to look around or hear explanations, it just wastes every ones time. We didnt go in once and felt we were better off for it). Although youre not pressured into buying anything, if they find out that you are not buying a carpet the usual upbeat happiness turns to a more flippant "I cant wait for you to leave so I can fill the room with someone who may buy a carpet" feel if you know what I mean. Once we said we werenmt interested in a carpet they were never mean, or rude, and still overall nice and helpful, but their niceness subsided. Thats ok though, they were still nice enough and we had a great time.

If you want a carpet for the memories of Selcuk and the great staff of hotel bella then why not buy one (even though they are twice the price). But if youre looking for a carpet for price then go down the street to Marco (first carpet store after the two restaurants), he'll take care of you at the right price. But just remember, not everything in life is about price. Buying something more expensive may pay off in memories every time you look at it more than a bargain at some store ever will.

CONCLUSION:

Dont be delusional, these people need to make money and 30 bucks a night aint gonna do it. If youre not interested in a carpet expect the glee and happiness to fade from the staff. But at no point will they be rude or mean or pressure you into a sale. The views are amazing, the staff is still great, the location is great, Selcuk is amazing, and the rooftop terrace with free internet TV and games and food will make you want to never leave.

Saved the best for last!

by TripAdvisor Member Joyce1

We spent our final three days in Turkey in Selcuk and the amazing Hotel Bella.

We experienced Turkish hospitatlity at its ultimate! We were met by the Partners Nazmı and Erdal and their staff who welcomed us as guests - we left as friends.

The hotel felt like home away from home. The education gıven on Turkish carpets was both amazing and ınterestıng. We were gıven excellent advice on where to go and what to see.

Truly an unforgetable experience and a memory we will treasure forever. We definitely left the best for last!

Brilliant!!

by TripAdvisor Member PatrickP

We only stayed at Bella 4 days, but we both wish it'd been longer. From the cheerful staff who genuinely seemed to care that we enjoyed our stay through to little but handy things such as laying on free transport whenever we needed it, we were constantly struck by how genuinely kind Bella's staff were.

Our room was comfy and the aircon chilly (which is definitely a good thing as nights were pretty hot), Then the rooftop terrace was even better still. From there we got a great view of the Selcurk skyline, the bascilica and storks nesting. The food there was also really good with the chef whipping up new delcious mezze and kebap treats.

Hotel Bella was very cool indeed, and I'd happy reccomend it to other fellow travelers

Just Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member jamiekurr

Having returned from 3 weeks in Turkey we had to mention our stay in Hotel Bella. What a great place. What great staff. All reports we read before going were right. We’re pleased we booked a stay in this little hotel.
From the warm welcome, tea in the Terrace, Erdals helpful information on everything available. From the hotel, free internet, laundry services, food, transport services, etc, to the surrounding area, places to go, sites to see, day trips a we might like to do, no pressure, no hassle, nothing was ever too much bother, they were fantastic.
Hotel is really clean. Beds comfortable. Shower always worked, not like some places we stayed. Air conditioning a real bonus. Terrace great for relaxing. Food from the restaurant, fresh and delicious. Breakfast top marks. Dinners, such a variety of mezes, salad, meats, fish, you get to try everything. Each meal was superb. We went into the village to eat, but couldn’t beat Bella for quality and price.
Having stayed a number places in Turkey during our trip, we encountered many carpet sellers, some very pressuring and offensive, especially in Istanbul. You will find nothing like this at Hotel Bella.
They mentioned their carpet shop, we were invited to look; certainly there was no pressure or obligation to buy, no change in attitude when we declined. We even spent some great afternoons there just talking, laughing and drinking tea.
Talking with Erdal & Nazmi, we found out they have been in the carpet business for 18 years. They bought the hotel 4 and 1/2 years ago which included the renting of an empty shop, this they used for storage. When the lease on the old shop ran out Feb this year, they decided to move their carpet shop next to hotel. Made good business sense we thought, why pay 2 rents!
All in all, we had a great time at Hotel Bella, would definitely stay again; certainly recommend it to our friends or anyone else visiting Selcuk looking for a good hotel.

Comments