Efes Antik Sehir Plaji, Kusadasi Yolu, Pamucak Mevkii, Selcuk, 35920, Turkey

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Surmeli Efes

So and so...!

by TripAdvisor Member lupuj

Excuse my english first! We spent a week at Surmeli Efes. Good food but they where mixing morning leftovers in some dinner dishes and sometimes the salads where a couple of days old judging by the taste. We were suposed to get a bottle of water every day in the minibar wich we didn't get. Some bellboy tryed to trick as for some tip saying he'll get it even thou it was included. We gave the tip but he didn't...They were usually trying to make a quick buck from you...very poor english knowledge except maybe animation team wich had good shows but also lousy ones (one called "sister act"). The rooms where not 5 stars....old furniture, kind of a funny smell. The snack bar was a joke with some old cakes. The midnight snack was JUST soup!!! The drinks where lousy. Nice pools, nice beach. Water sports just water bicycle and kaiak. Turkish night great! Turkish bath a bad joke. The hotel was between tho fried hills but around it very beautiful gardens. Nice experience overall.......

Read carefully :) and see the bright side .. :)

by TripAdvisor Member Sensy13

So, I decided to write a review as I consider this site very useful for the travelers all over the world. The first thing when I decided to go to Turkey was to read the reviews of everybody who was at the Surmeli Hotel. I can say that most of the things said up till now are close to the real truth. I will also point my opinions with regards to the services and management of this hotel:

Minuses:

-the swimming pools are 90% full starting 9 o’clock; but the stupid thing is that is not full of people, is full of towels (?!). So if you arrive at the main swimming pool at 9.10 you do not have any available deck chairs. They should forbid this “style” of leaving the towels with “subliminal” message – “this chair is taken”
-the English of the Surmeli staff is more than bad; to be more specific, if you order at Room Service they hardly understand the items mentioned on the menu; to ask for details such as “I want more ….. or … no …. " or … any other words or complicated sentences is more than an adventure .. :). Even some of the waiters in the main restaurants get confused if you use sentences instead of simple words: water, coke etc.
-I was in a group of 4 families and 2 of them had the surprise to have 100 EUR respective 50 EUR missing from their rooms early on the second day of stay in the hotel.
- No beverages in the mini bar, fact that surprised me. It seems to me fair to have the beverages even if you have to pay for them, but at least to have something in that fridge to feel like you are at a 5 stars hotel.
-During the 7 nights that I have been there we’ve had a lot of food but the daily food variety is very small – meaning that the food is more or less the same everyday in the main restaurant

Pluses:

-all rooms have sea view – but the best sea view is on the right side of the exit from the elevator each floor
-the food is very fresh
-the swimming pool restaurant food is really great
-the rooms service food is very good
-most of the sweets are very tasty
-the staff of the hotel is very helpful and supportive but ... sometimes they do not understand exactly what you want/need because of their lack of ..English but they really strive :)
- the swimming polls are very clean and well maintained

Advices:

-ask for a safe from the first day of your stay to put your money inside
-the exchange rate at the hotel is quite good 1 EUR = 1.65 YTL. The nearest exchange office is in Kusadasi Bazaar and the rate is 1 EUR = 1.70 – 1.75 YTL. So, doesn’t worth to drive 20 km just for this difference.
-At lunch eat on the swimming pool restaurant – the food is much better than inside even if you do not have so many choices but is more tasty what you can eat there. Also, you can have the lunch up till 5 PM. At the main restaurant inside the hotel, finishes the lunch at 2 PM.
-Don’t buy souvenirs from the shops inside the hotel – you will find prices 3 times more expensive that in the Kusadasi Bazaar
-If you want to buy gold, you can try the shop inside the hotel. If you are a good negotiator, you can get the same prices from the Kusadasi Bazaar.

Last but not least, I can recommend you a very good and serious travel agency in Turkey - Kusadasi Tours represented by Mr. Melih Oszay; he was very supportive and kind with us. He is answering any hour and he is solving any problem related to your stay in Turkey. Also the tariffs of this agency are far better from the others.

N.B. I promise to add some photos as soon as I will have it ready :)

It's OK - and we had a really good time

by TripAdvisor Member Malcatola

Here's the thing, We (me, my wife and five year old son) returned last night from two weeks at the Surmeli. This hotel is in no way 5*. The pool areas are fantastic and the Animation Team really good. The food is good some days and passable on others. The guest rooms have, to be honest, seen better days but they are clean and have excellent sea views - but avoid staying in the garden rooms! We went all inclusive and, I have to say, we had a great time. Really, any holiday is what you make of it! You'll have a great time here too - jusy keep your expectations quite low!

Superb Hotel great holiday

by TripAdvisor Member NPalma

I have just got back from the Surmeli hotel and thought it was a brilliant place to stay.

I will go through the parts of the holiday so you can see the ups and downs of the holiday.

Pool Area:

The pools are really good and very clean. Many people in previous reviews complained about the slipperyness (i am sure that isnt a word!) of the pool side but this problem has been dealt with as they have layed down some non slip flooring and we had no problems at all. The pool isnt that deep and most people apart from small children are able to stand up in them. There were 4 pools at the hotel.

Pool 1: The main pool outside which is the largest.
Pool 2: The pool at the top of the hotel which is more the childrens pool and where people can play waterpolo in the day.
Pool 3: A quiet pool down near the ampetheatre that is more shallow and nice for a relax.
Pool 4: The indoor pool that is very nice with a nice hot tub next to it.

The staff:

All of the staff at the hotel including the barmen the animation team and the waitors were amazing. All very friendly and so many of them as well. We made friends with a few of the barmen who were a great laugh.

The food:

The food was NOT what I expected after reading many of the reviews on this website. I expected cold meat in big dishes every day. Not so. The food was rather strange for English people but it was SO well presented it had many different meats and potatoes and stuff and there was enough food for most people. It had a massive salad bar full of everything you could think of as well as a big selection of bread, rolls and other side dishes. All at no extra cost. The deserts were like something you would see on TV. Amazingly presented in rich flavours, it looked amazing, i tried some of it and it was very nice all different cakes and swiss rolls with some jelly one night and other stuff. In the day the snack bar is open from about 11-4 which serves basic food such as chips and different meats which are really nice for your typical english family!!!!

The rooms:

There are two different sections of the hotel. You either stay in the garden apartments OR the Hotel its self. We were meant to stay in the hotel but ended up in the garden apartments. They were so nice we decided to stay in them! Rooms were very clean and we had no problems or funny smells or anything. The room was air conditioned and at night was a perfect temperature. The fridge diddnt work all that well and the bath was very small but to be honest with you thats hardly a big problem as the shower was fine.

The facilities:

Simply amazing

The gym
The two tennis courts
Sauna with a little pool looked amazing!
Turkish baths and massage parlours
A club (disco) thing that was really cool, good music.
Table tennis ( 3 tables)
Pool (3 tables)
Playstations and Arcade machines, not a tatty arcade with loads of little kids banging the machines either.
An internet cafe with about 4 or 5 nice computers.
A few shops that were quite expensive.
A photographer who would take really good pics around the hotel, you can get them by the beach by the sunset for about £4 was really good.
A basketball court also used as a football court.
Wall tennis
Water Polo

Overall it was amazing there was so much to do for us and we really enjoyed our days at the hotel and did not get bored.

All Inclusive:

EVERYTHING in terms of food and drink was Free! The local beer was great we had no problems and drunk it every night. All other drinks are free until midnight. We even ordered chips from the bar at about 3 in the morning after the disco and they did them for us it was a great laugh chatting to the barman as well.

The beach:

The beach was a slight letdown, the sand was a brown colour but was very silky and a bit wierd but it was nice dont get me wrong. The sunbeds were free and so to were the watersports I believe which I thought was really good. The sea is a bit rough and also is a dark blue sort of colour. I never went in it because the pools were so nice but it seemed ok just not a great beach.

Overall I would rate the Surmeli hotel at about 4*, its not a 5 star hotel in england but its a very nice 4 star hotel. Parts of the hotel such as the sauna are 5* they are amazing and just look like a mansion around the spa area.

For the value for money I would definatly reccomend the hotel. The only problem is Kusadasi which wasnt a great town and we diddnt like much. The waterpark is cool, we went to the smaller one which was a nice day out but i would suggest going to the other one its meant to be massive!

I hope you enjoy your stay, I am not sure if all of the hotel will be running all year round but regardless it was a pleasure staying at the hotel and I would go again!

Thanks.

Sumerli Efes was GREAT!

by TripAdvisor Member CEdwards

I was really nervous about this holiday after reading the reviews, and one of the best reviews I read was from someone saying that basically the same thing as me: Nervous about going after reading reviews, so went with an open mind and had an absolutely fabulous time!

I really am not sure what people are complaining about this hotel for. Did you honestly expect UK 5-star hotel/service???

I originally come from a 3rd world country and have seen MUCH worse than this, and we had a fabulous holiday because we didn't have any prejudices before or during our trip there.

Every report we read about this hotel noted that it was clean and that housekeeping kept the rooms tidy. I found this to be absolutely true and had not one single complaint about the room. However, we expected it to be a double, and it was a twin. Big deal, we pushed the beds together. They made the beds every day as if it was a double.

The hotel is into energy saving so you have to put your key pad into a slot on the wall to get your aircon/fridge/lights/tv working - I thought this was a marvellous idea. It saves all the energy and stops us wasting so much (as 1st world country people seem to do a lot of - no offence).

The food was fantastic!! They catered for all tastes. There was a largely Mediterranean flavour (obviously!), and the desserts were amazing. There was enough bread to sink the Titanic :-) There was diabetic food on offer too which I thought quite unusual but a great offering. The chefs were friendly, and on hand to help with any queries about the food. There was always plenty of fresh fruit to hand at meal times, and it was incredibly tasty. In fact I can say that about all the food there - it may not always have looked terribly appetising (1st world spoils again), but it was incredibly flavoursome. Turkish night was brilliant - lots of local foods, the waiters dressed up in local gear, and there were more local desserts to try out and they were simply amazing!

I have read reviews where people complained about the lack of variety - I think that these people obviously did not try something new every day. We were over eating just to get a taste of every different dish there was at every meal. it's not the UK, it's not British food, it's Mediterranean!

The waiters were really friendly and on hand to help at any time. They work really long days (12-15 hours) and they always have a smile on their face.

I read a review where someone had said if you have daughters to keep them locked up. If I was Turkish I think I'd find that quite offensive. The animation team and other staff were generally charming and friendly and I think in a UK-environment we are not used to being nice to each other as a matter of course and their charm is seen as intrusive because it's not something we are used to.

The animation team were friendly and not at all intrusive. We were generally not interested in activities, and they didn't harass us to get involved. however the option was there for when we did want to do it - and it was a good laugh.

I thought there was plenty of entertainment for children. Providing you use what has been provided.

The photographer was great and did a fab job, and for what I got and the price I paid, it was about 1/4 of the price I have paid for a similar job here in the UK. Plus he was really pleasant and friendly.

I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel we stayed in and would highly recommend it to any other travellers to Kusadasi/Selcuk.

(any complaints I may have have got nothing to do with the hotel and therefore not mentioned in this fairly long review!)

stay away from room 1201

by TripAdvisor Member kingfisherUk

When we arrived we were really pleased with the hotel, the reception area is grand and spotless. We checked in with no trouble at all, then off we went to the room for hell. Never in my life have i seen or smelt anything like it. Mould and milldew up the walls, plug sockets hanging out and the air con was leaking. After putting up with the smell for 3 hours we relented and complained. One thing i realised straight away was they were not going to move us without a fight!! So after being told over and over they had no extra rooms by reception i think the thought of four people sleeping in the lobby promising not to snore got the better of them. After that what can i say but what a great time we had. The food was good, something for everyone dont forget your in a different country so its no pie and peas. Never crowded in the restaruant the waiters were very good, and the sunsets on the balcony are not to be missed. The animation team are fantastic. If you dont want to join in then they leave you alone, but they are that good more often than not you dont say no. Ice creams are not free!! We wanted a great place for our 2 teenagers and we got it.

Comments