Safranbolu Hotels

Our Members Say

• gmg61 profile photo gmg61
  • Reviews: 408

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Nice, quiet and charming: Kalafatoglu hotel

Just few minutes away from the centre of the historic town of Safranbolu this hotel is hosted in an old Ottoman house and has a nice atmosphere. The interiors are all in wood and the building is made of stone, there is a nice garden and the staff is friendly and helpful.
The rooms have plenty of natural light, comfortable beds and all comforts, including A, but the bathrooms are rather small.

Position, location in an Ottoman building

• Written October 2, 2010

• sugarsel profile photo sugarsel
  • Reviews: 1

Carsi Mansion & Pansiyon: Safranbolu

Safranbolu Carsi Mansion & Pension is a family establishment.

A capacity of housing 29 people with 12 bedrooms and 18 beds. The house has 3 floors and on each floor there are 4 bedrooms

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written September 23, 2008

safranbolu carsi mansion

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1360

Bastoncu Pansiyon: Best budget Accommodation in Carsi, Safranbolu

I arrived around 8PM at the bus terminal in Kiranköy, Safranbolu. I called up Mr. Ahmet, the head of the family that owns the pansiyon, and he picked me up at the terminal. The pansiyon is located at the main UNESCO world heritage site – in Carsi (pronounced – Kar Shuh), just at the back of massive Cinci Han – a caravanserai converted to a hotel. Walk a little up the cobble-stoned alley from the back of the caravanserai. 3-minute walk to the main square. All houses in this area are all of the same construction – old and fascinating. Friendly people including the policemen that I’ve met and talked to several times. They are more than willing to help you out. Don’t miss dropping by at the tourist info at the main square, near the Tarihi Cinci Hamami, the mosque and beside the Arasna Hotel. The woman staff there will give you a map of the area and lots of tips for free.

Bastoncu Pansiyon is a family house - one of those historical houses in the area, so experience the nostalgia and local feeling - with rooms upstairs for guests. Quiet place, welcome tea and sweets upon arrival, they have a 7-month old cutey boy son of Yasmine – the helpful young cheeky pansiyon’s manager (multi-lingual) who will also give you advise on the place. $30/night or 35 with breakfast.

Room is the typical native Safranbolu room, wooden floor with carpets, that makes a little sound everytime you walk. They gave me a big twin bed room with a long hard sofa, inherent to most homes in Carsi, comfortable bed, comforter and blankets as it gets too cold at night even with a heater. 5 sets of windows around the room that opens up to a good view of the surroundings. Small bath/toilet with hot shower.

The family were friendly including the mom of the house. Walk up the alley at the back of the pansiyon to get a real nice view of the whole town down below.

Highly recommended.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written January 2, 2008

Bastoncu Pansiyon

• ozalp profile photo ozalp
  • Reviews: 458

Nermin Hanim Konagi: Sleep in the history

It was a weekend trip from Gebze to Safranbolu and Amasra. We stayed in this old house. It was newly opened and being there reminded me my grandparents' house in Tokat.

Safranbolu is famous with its wooden houses. This house is built between 1850-1860 by Hamdi Hoca. After his son and daughters had got married, 4 families lived in the Konak. As a tradition, Turkish families were getting bigger with new weddings in our history.

Sleeping in a wooden house under the trees is an unbelievable experience, so is waking up. Early in the morning, birds were singing and waking us up. The air was so fresh se we were incredibly energetic although we didn't sleep much.
I must mention that we all wanted to buy our pillows which we used there. I am not sure if they were the only reason but the best sleeps I ever had were in this motel.

Fresh air, architecture, garden, birds, pillows

• Related to: Archeology, Historical Travel
  • Written February 16, 2007

Konak

• basak profile photo basak
  • Reviews: 113

Vahapzade Konagi: Vahapzade Mansion

Vahapzade Mension is an old Ottoman house. Havva and Rustu, the owners of the house, hosts the guests in 4 rooms of the house. It is very clean and the breakfast served by Havva is very nice. She is a very talkative person i very much enjoyed speaking to her and other guets of the house. She and her mother-in-law really made us feel like at home.

The mansion is not at the touristic center of the city. It is at a district called "Baglar Mevkii". This is might be considered as a disadvantage because you need to take a bus/minibus or taxi to go to the center where the old bazaar and other historic place take place. On the other hand, you can enjoy to be in a very quite place.

All rooms have a bath inside. If you go into the room and can not it, don't be mad.....Just go to gardrobe and open the door. You'll see that it is not a gardrobe but a mini-bathroom. It is the characteristics of old Safranbolu houses. On the other hand, every 2 rooms share 1 toilet in this mansion.

Please note that you need to take your shoes of when entering into the house. They give you slippers. There are seperate slippers to wear in

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 19, 2006

• Tijavi profile photo Tijavi
  • Reviews: 770

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mehves Hanim Konagi: Ottoman hosts or ghosts?

Don't get me wrong. Mehves is a very pleasant B&B. Its hard wood intereriors, delightful furnishings and thick red carpets make the place very homey.

In fact, it was too homey for me that there was certain feeling of uneasiness to the whole exeperience. Perhaps, the old Ottoman atmosphere reminded me of the haunted house stories of my childhood and of the haunted house next door. It did not help either that I have to use the bathroom down the hall - always dashing to reach either bathroom or bedroom on creaking wooden floor!

The good thing about it was that I had a good night's rest (well, I was too tired to think about ghosts having travelled the whole day) and woke up to a breakfast that was a real treat (read: a HUGE tray of cucumbers, tomatoes, cheeses, breads, olives, fried eggs and bottomless cay - typical Turkish breakfast, but somehow this one tasted better). Gave me all the energy I need as I scrambled my way out of spooky Safranbolu to amazing Amasya.

It is a lovingly restored Ottoman house with a huge garden where breakfast is served (weather permitting, of course). Spic and span toilets, although I had to use one across the hall, but I was the only one using it when I was there.

Staying in one of these houses is a wonderful experience that is never to be missed.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written June 15, 2006

Mehves' rich interiors

• cbeaujean profile photo cbeaujean
  • Reviews: 1083

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

asmazlar havuzlu konagi: you feel removed from usual surroundings

we discovered this superb and huge mansion,restored by turkish touring club,by a mere chance.
worth a visit:you can see an example of the pools rich ottomans households had in their front rooms,used as AC!
we didn't spend the night here...enjoying "only" cold and expensive efes pilsen:but,worth while!

• Related to: Historical Travel, Luxury Travel, Architecture
  • Written December 2, 2004

dining room pool

• cbeaujean profile photo cbeaujean
  • Reviews: 1083

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

tahsin bey konagi: be under the spell of authentic ottoman mansion

crossing the threshold,you are agreeably surprised by the authenticity of the "konak" (wooded house) and by the sympathy of the reception.
you feel very well in spacious rooms,at one and the same time beauty and simplicity!
and what a view on the city!

you'll find the bathroom opening ...the door of the wardrobe!

you have to leave your shoes at the foot of staircase.

60euros/night/2pers with breakfasts

• Related to: Road Trip, Architecture, National/State Park
  • Written December 2, 2004

main square (hamman sq)

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5139

Arasna Otel

I ended up at the hotel I had intended to avoid, because according to my guidebook there was livemusic several nights a week and it would probably keep one awake. And unfortunatly it did. Even though I was very tired I could not sleep until the music stopped at one o'clock in the night. By then I did not feel very happy! Well, it was probably very nice for the people enjoying themself in the restaurant.
As the bus stopped in Safranbolu I asked a policeman for another hotel, but it turned out it had closed down and he brought me to Arasna instead.
If you are in Safranbolu you should stay in one of the old ottoman wooden houses. Arasna is in one and has nice rooms. Before entering the first floor you have to remove your shose.
I got a room without bath, but was the only person using the bathroom in the corridor. The room was 15 000 000 TL
(or 20 000 000 TL with breakfast.

• Written June 29, 2004

• Ckaya1978 profile photo Ckaya1978
  • Reviews: 37

Tradational Style Hotels

Many of the houses inside the city walls were turned to small hotels. The rooms are decorated in tradational Turkish House way, but you can find any luxury. Prices vary. Some of them are very expensive, some of them are really cheap

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Seniors, Architecture
  • Written August 29, 2003

Safranbolu, Turkey

• maykal profile photo maykal
  • Reviews: 1440

SAFRANBOLU - Getting off the...

SAFRANBOLU - Getting off the bus in Karabuk (the modern part of Safranbolu), we were 'adopted' by someone from a pansiyon...we said right from the beginning that we didn't want accommodation, but of course he took this to mean we wanted to stay at his hotel...so, after getting directions to the old town, we headed off, with the guide trailing behind us. Just before the road dropped into the valley where the old part of Safranbolu lies, there stood a shabby modern building, with a rather rusty old sign claiming it to be a pansiyon....our self-appointed guide suddenly began shouting at us, telling us that his place was the only place to stay in Safranbolu....we pointed out that we had a guidebook with the names of at least five hotels in the old city, so why would we choose to stay in the new part? 'But this one closed, and that one is full, and such-and-such a one is too expensive....my pansiyon is the cheapest...the best'...it took a long while to get through to him that we really did not want to stay there, and this made him very angry...'I've wasted all my time bringing you here....You must pay me for my trouble....etc...' This was our first time on our own in Turkey, and as the only Turkish speaker, it was up to me to do the talking...my friend was stood there wondering what the hell was going on (it was his first visit to anywhere which required bargaining or being rude to guides, touts etc...)! So I picked up both our bags (it was boiling hot, so we had put them down for a short rest) and marched off down the hill...I was not going to be shown up in front of my friend, especially at the first opportunity!! He awkwardly apologised to the 'guide' and began to follow me....'what was wrong with that place?' he asked me, 'it looked OK. And why did you have to get so angry?'....My friend had not seen any pictures of old Safranbolu, and we had not yet arrived at a place where we could see the old town...it was obscured by trees... so I suppose I could understand why he was asking me that....But then we rounded a bend in the road, and had our first view of Safranbolu proper, hundreds of Ottoman wooden houses spread out over a few low hills....it was really beautiful, and we were both thankful that we hadn't listened to the 'guide'. Picking a narrow lane at random, suddenly an old man emerged from an even older house, overhanging the road at an almost dangerous angle...'oda ister misiniz?' Do you want a room?, and without waiting for an answer, he led us to a second house (luckily for us, a bit more stable looking than the one he had just come from!). Entering through the garage, we took our shoes off, and followed the old man up a rickety flight of stairs through a living room, up some uneven and very creaky stairs to the top floor...It looked like someone's bedroom, but he assured us it was the guest room, casually picking a few personal items from the beds. The room was panelled in wood, and had a 'closet bathroom' which was just big enough for one person to squeeze into. 'Cay icer misiniz?' will you drink tea? he asked as he appeared in the doorway with a freshly brewed pot of tea. I was a bit dubious as to whether this was a pansiyon or just someone's house...I didn't want to be throwing the occupants of the bedroom out for the night!! On cue, the old man produced a couple of postcards from guests....they both praised the 'pansiyon' so I was semi-convinced it was a pansiyon. So we decided to stay...and it was certainly an experience!! The building was great, the room nice, and the owners friendly....if only the old man hadn't have been so over-friendly! He insisted on watching us all the time....and mealtimes seemed to be his favourite, and he made sure we ate everything! But the advantages far out-weighed his (at times rude) constant staring, so we felt it was a good enough place to recommend to others. Oh yes, the name....Karaosmanoglu Ev Pansiyon.
It was very cheap...5million lira for the bedroom, another 5 million for breakfast and evening meal....that came to about US$6 between two of us per night.

It was basic...electricity worked most of the time, but water was off during the day, and only came on for restricted hours in the evening and early morning (listen out to the public announcements to know when water is on and when it is off!). The best thing about the Karaosmanoglu Ev Pansiyon was that it felt as if you were actually part of the family...and that was also the worst aspect....the owners were extremely friendly, the food basic but filling, the views great, and the building extremely atmospheric...but at the same time, the toilet smelled to high heaven, the old man a bit too curious about us, and we had a night-time curfew of ten o'clock (we got lost one night after sitting in a tea-garden for a few hours and arrived about ten minutes after the 'curfew'...the whole family had gone to bed and it was very embarrassing to wake them up just for us!...However, one night, they had guests and stayed up late eating fruit and drinking tea...even though we found our way back half an hour late, they welcomed us to join them! so it was a bit unpredictable!!)

• Written August 30, 2002