Mardin Ili Hotels

Our Members Say

• wanderingtheworld profile photo wanderingtheworld
  • Reviews: 6

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

I forget the name but what a fleabag: Mardin Hotels

Hi, I traveled all over the East of Turkey and found Mardin to be the most overpriced Turkish city. The food was ghastly and the people are total money grubbers. I stayed at a horrible overpriced fleabag of a hotel. One night when I was walking back to my hostel the police stopped me and demanded to see my passport. I would never go to this city again. Also there is nothing to see but a overly restored monastary and a bunch of NEW stone building. The bazzar is a hodge podge of cheap goods and rotten fruit. The men are the worst in Turkey in terms of being bothersome to anyone in a skirt. Avoid this rotten town like the plague.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 4, 2011

• Caniko profile photo Caniko
  • Reviews: 141

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Artuklu Kervansaray: Old Kervansaray

It is still like a real old Kervansaray, rooms decorated in the old way, and bathroom sandals are that kind Turkish people used to use at Hamams in the old days. They use homemade soap from olive which gives softness to the skin but I recommend women to take their own shampoo to wash hair.

The Hotel feels very authentic. It was built 800 years ago. There are many old things exhibited in the lobby, like copper and silver things and the best china and old weight tools.
The room was clean and we were offered local nuts and some fruits there.

• Related to: Religious Travel, Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written April 13, 2009
Tip Photo

Waiting for our rented car in front of the Hotel

State Guest House: Mansion in Midyat

The State Guest House is a 4-story mansion in the old Christian quarter of Midyat. I didn't stay here, but toured the house. The rooms are as nicely furnished as could be hoped for, with balconies and terraces offering tremendous views of the area. I understand that the rooms go for about $50 a night; though with no breakfast included. If staying in Midyat, this would be an unforgettable option.

Mardiat Hotel: Swimming in Midyat

This is a new, modern, high-rise hotel on the outskirts of Midyat. What stands out, however, is the Olympic-sized pool in front of the hotel. Frankly, this seems a little over done for Midyat, but nevertheless, there it is!

• Opinion of Price: N/A

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Erdoba: Best Bet in Mardin

This is a former mansion transformed into a boutique hotel. It is situated on the main street in old Mardin and is ideal as a base to explore the old city. The rooms are very nice, though a little small. The main draw for the hotel is, in my opinion, the terrace restaurant. The food is delicious, but is really only incidental to the main attraction: the incredible view looking out to the south over the Mesopatamian plain to Syria. As dusk settled in, I lingered over my supper, listening to the melodious Turkish music, watching the kites flying from far below and the distant fires from the burning of cropland to prepare for the next planting. Very nice, indeed.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
Tip Photo

• sinequanon profile photo sinequanon
  • Reviews: 96

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Bilen: Mardin's only affordable hotel

Mardin has a number of caravan serrays turned into luxury hotels with beautiful views over the Mesopotamian plain. They of course cost accordingly so unless you have a lot of money to spend your only choice is hotel Bilen on the outskirts of the town. An ok hotel for its money. Breakfast is included at the price.

If you find yourself there make sure you do not get the room (on any floor) above the night club unless you wish to go downstairs and join in the singing and dancing. Alternatively, always carry and pair of earplugs with you. They will come in handy. Experience talking here;-)

Maybe it would be good idea if you booked before you arrive there. The place has quite a few tourist groups.

I had not, but I was lucky enough to have a room rented for me by vt member kenan. Actually he was my guardian angel during my whole stay at Mardin and would like to thank him through these lines.

Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the hotel. It is just a common looking "modern' building with glass and marble that needs a lot of referbishment.

• Written December 19, 2005