Mardin Hotels

Our Members Say

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 5102

Otel Bilen

This is a new hotel in the new part of Mardin. From the road outside there are frequent buses up the hill to old Mardin or 250 000 TL.
I didn't know wherelse to go and just accepted what they charged. I'm sure if I had tried to get a lower price it would have worked.
Paid 45 000 000 TL per night for a room that was okay but not more. The plus is the TV with BBC news.
Breakfast is served outside.
I had dinner at the restaurant one evening. For chicken shish kebab, salad, bread, coke, water and tip I paid
9 000 000 TL.

• maykal profile photo maykal
  • Reviews: 1432

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Basak Otel

The only budget place in town, this place definitely suffers from lack of competition. Used to the good value budget places in other parts of Turkey, I was expecting something similar here, but instead I got a somewhat frosty reception on arrival at the Basak. The guy behind the desk was engrossed in a Turkish soap on the telly, and while he didn't ignore me completely, it wasn't much of a welcome. I paid 25 TL (about £11) for a bed...yes, that's a bed, not a room. For a room and a key for the door, I would have to pay for all the beds in the room, meaning 75 TL (£33), certainly way beyond the means of most budget travellers.

It was late at night and I assumed nobody else was going to arrive that night, so thought I'd managed to get a room all to myself. I went off in search of something to eat, but with all restaurants beginning to sweep up, I had to improvise with some junk food from a corner shop. Returning about twenty minutes later with thoughts of munching on crisps while writing up my travel diary, I was quite surprised and disappointed to find two old men in my room, snoring away in the dark. I was shouted at as soon as I put a light on, so that put me in a right mood. I sat in the cold reception and watched Turkish soaps until midnight, before fumbling around in the dark trying to find my toothbrush.

At dawn, I was awoken by the light being switched on and the old men shouting at each other, getting ready for dawn prayers. They banged doors on their way to the filthy shared bathroom down the corridor, and made so much noise that other guests started shouting at them. Prayers done, they carried on chatting loudly with the light on...I asked twice if they could keep the noise down, but that was ignored. It was a relief when they packed their bags and left just before 7am, and I managed to get a couple of hours' sleep. But enough was enough...I wanted to see more of Mardin, enjoy another night at least, but not in this hotel...I was prepared to spend more to stay somewhere else and worry about the price later!

The shower that didn't work, the door to the shared toilet that didn't lock, the freezing cold water from the solitary working tap, the snoring roommates, the disinterested management...that was all outstanding!

Seriously, Turkey usually does much better in the budget hotel department. If you're on your own, then 25 lira is not going to break the bank for one night, but if you're a group of three, it really does not make economic sense staying here, when a nice hotel room in a boutique hotel down the road costs 85 lira, just 10 lira more than the entire room at the Basak.

Mardin needs a good value budget place, and that could be the Basak if someone gave it a good clean, sorted out the plumbing and gave the prices a rethink.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written November 6, 2010

• maykal profile photo maykal
  • Reviews: 1432
Otel Bayraktar, RIP

Even though it is no longer a functioning hotel, the Bayraktar lives on in my memory, and the shell of the building still stands in the centre of Mardin, a pockmarked concrete monster towering above the bazar. Windows are all smashed in, the reception where my Turkish friend and I spent all those hours in the dark looking at endless slides of Mardin (see page intro...) is boarded up and fenced off, the basement restaurant where we feasted on lahmacun and watched in horror as our guide ordered a plate of kidneys, hearts and liver, popping each one into his mouth with far too much enthusiasm...that too is now empty and forgotten.

It was so bad it was almost good. It probably once was good, and indeed my battered and much thumbed Lonely Planet guide from 1996 deserves to be quoted from: "The Hotel Bayraktar is Mardin's best hotel, with 50 rooms on eight floors reached by a lift, and a terrace restaurant where the notables gather. All rooms have showers and cost US$20 a double."

Even by 2000, standards had slipped. We paid just US$5 for our room, the photographer whispering that we'd been overcharged. The lift had not ascended anywhere for quite some time, and I doubt any notables had gathered on the terrace since the guidebook was published.

Looking back on that odd, odd night, perhaps we were the last guests to stay in the Bayraktar. The receptionists seemed not to notice we were there, even though we'd effectively taken over the room for that tedious slideshow. The old man in charge turned off the lights and fell asleep in an armchair behind us, leaving us to our own devices. Perhaps he was actually a ghost, and is still there asleep behind the boarded up windows, a slideshow of Mardin doorways still in progress on the wall to this day. Maybe there are still travellers trapped inside, unable to sleep because of the rattling windows and the braying donkeys down below? Perhaps Zeynep and I had a lucky escape...

Head down to the square where the Mardin Museum is, and look out for an inaccessible eight storey shell of a building by the road. If you look hard enough, you might be able to make out the name Bayraktar on the side.

• Opinion of Price: N/A