Halilim Caddesi No: 5, Bitez, Turkey

Day 1Day 1

DINING AREADINING AREA

Permanent residents in Bitez

by Pegra

We are contemplating moving from Norway to Bitez - we are a couple with a 13 year old girl and a Border Collie. We have lived in Kenya for many years, but for the last two in Norway. Are there many permanent residents in Bitez - from which countries?

Would be very happy for some input!

Cheers, Petter

RE: Permanent residents in Bitez

by kreton

Oh, so interesting.

I have a friend (Turkish) who lives there with his french girlfriend. You should be similar in age too so I think you may enjoy their company.

This guy is a sailor, pilot, engineer, cook and is so funny and cool ! And he is a VT member though he does not use this site frequently. I will tell him to respond to you on this forum. Though he may be traveling, I should check it now.

Have you ever lived in Bodrum before ?

RE: RE: Permanent residents in Bitez

by Pegra

Hi Kreton,

Thanks for your comments.

No, we have never been in Bodrum or in Turkey...

We're in other words quite excited to see if this is something for us that likes to be in the African bush!

Greetings from Petter

RE: RE: Permanent residents in Bitez

by kreton

Hello,

I have a memory about bitez that I can not forget. I was driving and there was an oldish village lady in local clothes crossing the road at a wrong time. There was nothing dangerous but she happened to pass the road somehow close to the car and I could not nothing about it.

Her response, unlike cities or so, was to laugh and raise her hand in a gesture to say sorry. Her pure, innocent, simple and gesture was like a snapshot of her soul. Many people who live there are not rich but they live very simple lives and are very happy and healthy.

Still, you may wish to live there for one month or so before deciding to move on. Bitez is part of Bodrum. You will enjoy all of Bodrum from Bitez so do not think you will only live in Bitez. And there is much much more to Bodrum to than discos and beaches.

I will call my friend today, I already sent you his VT name.

Travel Tips for Bitez

FISHING

by whitecliff62

There are plenty of fish to be caught in the sea around Bitez, and these fisherman were on this jetty every morning catching small fish, but im sure there must be fishing trips available from the harbour at Bodrum

a "first"...

by iaint

"why Bitez?"

Well, consensus was that a week in a resort which has windsurfing facilities was what we needed.

My son would be a beginner and my friend a "returnee" - she was an expert several years ago, but had not been able to keep it going.

Then it was a question of where...

The Izmir coast was a possibility, but family complications ruled it out (don't ask...). The Bodrum peninsula was next best. Bodrum was out of the question. Too big, noisy and touristy. A small village in the west or north was a possibility, but might have been a bit too quiet for the times when the windsurfing was not possible.

Bitez seemed to fit the specification. Small but close to Bodrum.

"verdict"

A big success.

It is a bit more commercial than I would have liked, but without the wall to wall development etc you get elsewhere. It was quiet at night, but then if you want "action" Bodrum is only 15 minutes away.

It is a family orientated place, plenty of good restaurants, and mostly small hotels. Not a bar or disco anywhere (that I could see or hear).

Most visitors seemed to be either British or Turkish. We seemed to be at the Turkish end, and that suited us fine!

If we had stayed another week we would still have found plenty to do, such as
- visiting places on the west and north of the peninsula
- hydrofoil to Kos and/or Marmaris
- a boat trip

"windsurfing"

See my sporting tips for details, but it was a worked really well.

My son loved it. My friend did too. It left me with peace and quiet to relax (reading for example) knowing they were happy too.

Comments