Grand Newport

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Grand Newport

definately not a 4 star!

by TripAdvisor Member lisa100c

Just returned from the grand newport hotel and would like to say it is definately not a 4 star, 3 star at the most.

The food is terrible looks like slop, no variety at all. As a family of three we ate out all the time which added an extra 400 pounds to our holiday. [this included drinks with our meal in the restaurant] drinks in hotel awful, everything put in tiny flimsy plastic cups so drink didnt last long. Dont expect to have a coffee or a cup of tea in a proper cup as you will not get one, although there are coffee machines in restaurant and pool bar, if you want one it has to go in tiny flimsy plastic cup as everything else does, or a glass as this is what i seen a few people use!
Dont go if you have any disabilities at all as my father in law came and he was in agony walking up and down 85 stairs every time he wanted to go to the room. [stairs very steep] [he has arthritis] we did ask for a change of room but they said they were full! fantastic view though.
Staff were the worst staff i have ever encountered in a hotel especially miserable blonde in upstairs bar and staff on pool bar.
Entertainment guy is a leach and i seen him harrass a couple of girls and when they rebuffed him he became aggressive so if you are going with daughters beware!
Rooms were average, and the cleaning guy really looked after us and was very friendly.
Music during the day was my type of music and i was happy on the first day but after the third day even i was shouting turn it off, i hope to never hear J Timberlake and N furtardo again.
Pool was ok, my 6 year old son loved it and he was in it everyday, it must have been clean as he swallowed a lot of the water as he was learning to swim and he was not ill. The ice cubes in hotel are ok too.

Overall i would definately not go back, but it was a relaxing holiday and although the food was terrible in hotel we found a lovely chinese restaurant called china town in gumbet it is well worth a try, we were lucky that we could afford to pay out the extra. i will be sticking to the larger 5 star complexes in Turkey from now on as the extra we paid out for food we could have paid to go to one in the first place so what turned out to be a cheap get away {1100 for the three of us] didnt turn out to be such a bargain after all.

Had a lovely time

by TripAdvisor Member Holidaylover07

The Grand Newport is a clean and well maintained hotel. The staff were chatty, pleasant and always willing to help.
We were particularly impressed with the location, it is away from the main hustle and bustle of Gumbet centre, meaning you can get a decent nights sleep when you want, however if lively bars and restaurants is your thing then you can jump on the 60p Dolmus bus which goes past every 5 minutes before midnight and every 10-15 minutes after midnight (we need these buses in Britain).
The hotel is situated on a hill which ensures that you have spectacular views of Gumbet bay and Black island, the only downfall to this is the fact that the rooms are only accessible via steps, we found this a small price to pay though.
The food was good, a wide selection of salads, coleslaws,dips, pastas, couscous, and hot meals were available at lunch and dinner times along with cakes, mousses and fruit. There has got to be something that you like somewhere in the selection!!!!
The beer was served in plastic beakers both at the pool and lounge bar but this was not a problem as the beakers were clean. The spirits were served in glasses at the lounge bar (you get plenty of spirits in these) and the ice was safe to put in drinks.
During busy periods, the service in the lounge bar was a little slow, they would benefit from having more staff serving there or working more quickly.
The all inclusive service finishes at 23.00 on the dot though so make sure you get the drinks in beforehand as they are expensive afterwards.
Juices and water were available all day from large, cooled dispensers and soft drinks could be ordered from the pool bar throughout the day.
We saw belly dancers, turkish dancers, snake charmers and break dancers in the evenings. Unfortunately, the music during the day was repetetive and we often heard the same songs three or more times in one day, in the end someone complained and our ears were given a rest.
We travelled with sunwings and Caner, the rep in the hotel is a great bloke who is always willing to help.
We really enjoyed the holiday and we're planning to go back next year as for an all inclusive holiday it was a bargain.
Overall: Clean, friendly and cheap, what more can you ask?

Ok for the money

by TripAdvisor Member justjenManchester

We went to this hotel for a week all inclusive. I went with 6 teenagers. Generally speaking, the hotel was fine. The food was a bit tedious so we ate out a lot. The drinks were fine just local drinks and they stopped at 11 o'clock. After this the drinks are very expensive, about £6 for a small glass of wine, beer or spirits. Even soft drinks are chargeable after 11oclock.

This is the first time that I have posted on tripadvisor. I have used the sight often to gauge other people's reactions to a hotel and resort. I have found it to be extremely useful and mainly accurate.

The only thing that I worried me about this hotel was the entertainment man called Hakan Tapan ( aka the Turkish Jim Carey) quite why the world needs another Jim Carey of the Turkish variety is beyond me!!. I had to write a complaint about this man because of the attention that he gave to my two daughter's. I made this complaint to the manager and the travel rep called Caner. I intend to extend this to Sunwings, whom we travelled with.

'Jim Carey ' constantly harassed my daughters, tried to lure them outside when I had gone to bed and touched them at every opportunity calling them sexy. He also gave them his email, mobile and address prior to them leaving and tried to get them to get off the bus as we were pulling off to say goodbye 'properly'. My daughters are 14!! which he was made aware of every time that he touched them. This made him resort to speaking to them when I wasn't there and his enticing them to go out after bedtime with him to Club Catarmaran.

Other than that, the hotel was ok...you get what you pay for. The stairs were cripling especially in the heat but at least you can exercise!!

ok over all

by TripAdvisor Member chrisandhelen

Arrived back from a weeks holiday yesterday. We had a really good time and we didnt really know what to expect from reviews we read.Main part of hotel was beautiful .first room we were put in was like black hole of calcutta but we paid 100 lira for upgrade with no problem. Room very clean and was cleaned and towels changed daily.63 steps up to pool were a bit daunting!Views from pool terrace amazing but sunbeds were all taken before 9am while people went into breakfast so had no alternative to put towels on same! Music deafening all day but soon got used to it.Plenty to eat for meals but very repetitive. no waste.leftovers were put in some sort of sauce or mayo and served next day! Drinks readily availlable but 2 barmaids in main bar would rather ignore than serve
! very disappointing that all inc finished at 11pm then very expensive.Restaurant staff very hardworking and attentive.Man who did entertainment was a pain.encouraged very rough games of water polo in middle of pool daily which could have easily hurt anyone on sunbeds,especially children! Dolmus system very good every 5 mins in front of hotel.Boat trip excursion worth the money tho a bit tedious.Overall a gret holiday for what we paid and would go again

amazing, loved it, would go again!

by TripAdvisor Member thomasthegr8

had my doubts when i booked turkey, but 2 weeks of amazing sunshine great food and lovely sights was enough to make me want to live there!! the hotel was clean, the staff were lovely you have to help them a bit with the english, the pool guy jim carrey was wkd. the food was fine even for me (the fussiest man alive). the hotel was aprox 2 miles from gumbet which for a couple has the perfect amount of night life. bodrum is 20 mins from the hotel and drinks are tooooo expensive!!! short review-but i promise you if your planning on going its AMAZING!!!! email me any questions and check out the my photos!!!

Beware!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member prcm

After arriving at this hotel at 7am after a delayed flight and with my 4 year old daughter, we were given our room key and with no offer of assitance with luggage made our way down 7 flights of steps (approx 150) to our room. Once inside dehydrated and tired I looked for relief from the minibar where 2 bottles of water should have been waiting to quench our thirst...this of course was not the case, so of we went back to reception via the 150 steps where I was told I had to purchase the water which I promptly did despite that we went all inclusive. Reception assured me this matter would be resolved the next day. By the 7th and final day we had still not recieved any water in our room despite complaining to 8 different people whom all offered me their assurance this would be rectified. Before I departed I was informed by a manager that on 3 occasions water had been placed in my room. I suggested that they might want to provide a map and clues as to where they hid it for my daughter might find this entertaining, which for some reason they did not find amusing. If you are unfortunate enough for your room to be in the 100's expect a strong smell of sewage on warm days to add to your holiday experience. Other problems including the bathroom flooding, no hot water for a shower and noisy air conditioning addimg to my unpleasant memories of this hotel.
The hotel is situated on top of a hill so expect to take local buses everywhere. This is not a problem as they are very frequent but would have been nice to know this information when booking. If you go all inclusive save harder for spending money for unless you have no palet and a stomach made of iron you will be dining out every night. On a positive note (yes there is one) the pool area is clean had has stunning views over the bay, however in our case this was little consolation for many short comings. Thank God I had my Daughter with me with her smiling face and laughter this holiday ended up very enjoyable but with no thanks to the hotel or their staff.

Overall lousy fortnight

by TripAdvisor Member purplelady26

Lets start with the good things:
1. The view was amazing
2. The pool area was lovely between 7:30 and 10:00 before the awful music started
3. We managed to relax some of the time
4. We met some lovely people.

Ok thats about it for positive let's go to the negative stuff:

1. The rooms were smelly and dirty. The first night that we arrived we found used toilet tissue in the bin and the bedding had not been changed from the last guests. What was on the pillows could only be described as human waste - completely disgusting!
2. There was a constant smell of sewers surrounding the hotel, the steps and the pool area.
3. The food, yes it's true that it was plain and basic they must have only spent £5 a day on each person. The worst part was that we had upset tummys for the whole fortnight, left over meat was used the next day in a stew. Make sure you plan meals out!
4. The entertainment guy was in your face, moaning at the lack of involvment of the guests - they had come on holiday to relax! He also was very sleazy with the teenage girls and you could see that they were very uncomfortable.
5. There was a lack of sunbeds during this busy time of year some people were lying on the floor.
6.The beaches are all man made so they are very shelly.
7. Some hotel workers were super, very friendly but most of them could hardly break a smile everything was to much trouble.
8. Be aware that if you are moved rooms and they put you into a sea view room you will be charged extra about £84 for 2 weeks. We were not told and this caused our final day to be ruined, especially as a rep from the travel company threatened us that we could not board our plane until the bill was paid. An outrageous show of customer service!

All in all we were very glad to arrive home and we shall never return to the this hotel again. Neither would we suggest it to friends.

glad we didn't book 2 weeks

by TripAdvisor Member upliftmewp

A week in this place was certainly long enough. I have to agree that it has stunning views which I took great pleasure in. But apart from that there is not much more to be possitive about.
very poor standard of food which might explain why I and another dozen or so people were laid low with the dreaded trots and terrible stomach cramps.

I have travelled extensively over the past 20 years and this has to rate as the worst food ever, this coupled having to wait 20 minutes on many occasions for a relacement tray of food when the original had been emptied certainly didn't encourage people to eat in the place. we made do with soup and bread most of the time. at one point the restaurant manager made one of the waiters cut the bread because the guests were cutting it too thick!

Mrs Happy (not) in the upstairs bar begrudingly poured out the drinks in to the egg cup sized glasses as though she was paying for them out of her own pocket. one night the manager made her stop serving at 10:30 rather than 11:00 because people were getting too many drinks!!!!

The entertainments guy (jim) got angry and questioned why we wouldn't buy 3 tickets and play bingo at £2.00 at ticket. his enterttainment revolved around daily water polo for the adults, I believe this was so he could show off his skills. it would have been nice if he'd arranged a game in the shallow end for the kids, perhaps he forgot they need entertaining.

I and my family love Turkey and the people and will have no heitation in returning to the country but I would not return to this hotel if it was for free.

couldn't wait to come home!

by TripAdvisor Member flossy66

Went for one week with my husband , 13 year old daughter and 21 year old niece. Flight was delayed an hour going arrived at hotel early hours of the morning, and we all had to carry our cases down 75 steps to our rooms. Lovely hotel but food is disgusting and we are not FUSSY eaters. Music around the pool is uncalled for as it is too loud. The drinks are a joke, in the day you are served them in small plastic cups there was never anyone behind the bar serving them all the time so you had to wait. Of a night time they were served in what i can only describe as a glass egg cup, you could only have vodka, brandy, wine or beer, mixes were coke, sprite or diluted juices. If you attempted to double up on a round of drinks you were bollocked by the obnoxious barmaid or even the hotel manager taking pictures on his mobile of the two drinks you had!. Nice enough hotel with stunning views but definately don't get your money's worth for drinks or food and we all ended up with crippling stomach cramps and diahorria.So glad to be home don't go.

***Warning go somewhere else***

by TripAdvisor Member adam9468

When you get to the Hotel, the view is amazing; it is very clean then the problems start.

1) If you have bad ankles and heart conditions or disabilities warning, they are loads and loads of steps, there is no lift just lots and lots of stairs.
2) The food, the food looks ok and we ate it for the first few days, it was ok, but the food just sits there, not very nice, not a big range of food, after 3 days I started have stomach pains and going to the toilet a lot, for the last 4 days of the holiday we did not eat any food from the hotel.
3) The drink only come in small cups, which is ok but when you order, order extra, you only get local beer, Vodka, and Gin (which they water down) wine, and soft drink, they AI ends at 11, so by 10.30 people want to get more drinks but they have one person on, who is trying but it slow, and the manager just stands there talking to other staff or does nothing.
4) The staff are really nice and do try, but the manager let them down, the staff are working very hard but they manager just stand around and to nothing.
5) The famous Jim Carrey, you need to take him which a huge pinch of salt, most of the girls stayed well clear of him, if you play water polo with him, it is one rule for us and another rule for him, which is he has to win.

Overall, if I could go back to this hotel and not eat the food I would, I would say look for a B&B or and Apartment, it is cheap enough to eat out, Gumbet is a bubbly town, where Bitez has a nice promenade and some really nice restaurants

Comments