La Luna Beach Club

Costs 101% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about La Luna Beach Club

Chicken and turkey

by TripAdvisor Member 4779

This definitely not a 4 star, more like a 1 or 2. If you get a good price it's an ideal location to use as a base but don't expect to enjoy staying on site. The rooms are small, overlook one another, carpets in rooms are digustingly dirty and are never hoovered, in fact never saw a hoover in the week we were there.
Breakfast is awful, boiled eggs somehow managed to make the yoke solid but the white runny. Lunch fine if you like salad. Dinner is truly bad, chicken or turkey but not in any way that you would recognise it! Its a fight for a plastic table and chair in the 'dining hall'.....God help you if you want a drink with your meal because it's a long walk and a long queue to the one bar where there is only one person serving drinks in plastic mugs. Entertainment was 5 nights of karaoke, one turkish dancing and one night nothing! Considering there were 4 blokes on the entertainment team i wonder what they were doing with their time. Some guests did not have hot water all the time they were there, others arrived to find the hotel overbooked and had to stay iin an apartment opposite until a room became available. If you go on an early trip and request a 'packed breakfast' don't bother, you get a roll which even the birds turn their beaks up at! On the plus side....it's very close to the beach, resort centre and to Bodrum...which are all good and there are several outlets offering cheap food and drink.....just as well as it's rubbish at the hotel. Just a note the hotel is owned by the management of Goldtrail Holidays, don't be fooled by their details. Go to the area, the people are nice and the countries lovely but NOT THIS HOTEL!!!!!

la luna, not all it is cracked up to be

by TripAdvisor Member tangeman

stayed at the la luna last week, food well cooked but very samey. If you like chicken, rice, chips and salad you will be okay. The adult bar and disco advertised were not open and you take your life into your hands on some of the gym equipment. The turkish bath is just a glorified sauna, however it is cheaper as the sauna is 5€ for an hour(who would last an hour?) Very little for children to do apart from playing in the pool, the animators had been finished the week before. There are plenty of good bars and restaurants in Gumbet and large beer can be as little as 1 lira and an english breakfast from 1 pound, all the restaurants are reasonably priced. Try Janni's Bar next to the Dancing Dragon, good atmosphere and great food

The real deal

by TripAdvisor Member empress185

My stay at La Luna was quite recent 15-23 Oct 06 compared to some of the reviews that are posted on this site. After arriving at La Luna from Gatwick on the the flight that should have left at 2355 but actuall went at 0020, I was quite impressed with the reception area. Nice big red sofas, light and airy atmosphere, I thought this is nice. After filling in the necessary paperwork, your cases are taken to your room. As you walk along you admire the view of the complex and you think this is nice. Now to start exploring the room - bathroom is nice, big clean shower, clean towels, clean bed linen, a working TV alas the air con seems to have packed up. Let's have a look at the view shall we. Open the patio door and walk out onto a very small balacony that has 2 plastic chairs and a side table to match - think B & Q here. You are immediately hit by a humming sound. Look over the railing and notice a bamboo covered roof and discover this humming is coming from there but this is also the back of the kitchen. Close the door and you can't hear the humming. Now my mum needs to keep cool at night and I knew that we would not be able to sleep with the door open because of the humming. We'll speak to management later. Let's go exploring shall we, see what La Luna has to offer. We make our way to the restaurant as we had arrived in time for breakfast. As you walk up the ramp you see the sign for the turkish baths and other facilities that the complex has to offer. Up the ramp you are hit by the size of the pool and it has got a wow factor to it. Straight ahead and to your left you spot the sign "bar" and to your right is the restaurant. I didn't take much notice of what was on offer as I was feeling very tired and as far as I was concerned it was your usual menu but with a few more extra flies added in, birds, cats and dogs. Breakfast over and done with we go back to the room and change into more comfortable clothing and wait till 1030 for the welcome meeting. Now I always find these meetings amusing because the reps are always pushing you to sign up for this trip and that trip and don't book with outsiders cos they can't guarantee this and that, but this rep was spot on. Her opening speech was "I shan't keep you long, I will only talk for 30 minutes...." and that is what she did, not a minute more or a minute less - is that a good thing or a bad thing you decide. We signed up for two trips and got 2 free - we went on Tuesday - the day it rained all day, and most of the night. On this trip you go and see the disused windmills, a leather factory, gold factory, didn't do the turkish delight shop and the market (get on the bus and you see a better view of the town). I was looking foward to the market, I thought great, I'll get some great bargains. What a waste of time, the same old tat on each and every stall. Great you get to haggle and beat the stall holder down, but wait do you think he'sthat stupid - he knows his price and how low he's going (do you) no, but you think you're getting a bargain. I was not impressed. The second trip was to Kos - buy you're duty free goods on your return to the Turkish port rather than in Kos. At the Turkish port you pay 12 euro compared to £26 -27 in Kos. We also did the Haman (not at La Luna) it was ok as I didn't know any better!! More about this later. My mum went and saw management - and let me say that the level of English from the staff is very poor, but we managed to get moved the next day as the room needed to be cleaned. Having moved rooms our view now consisted of what I believe to be new apartment blocks for next year and a view of the winding road and the disused windmills, but at least it was quiet - no humming! The bar - only 2 drinks per person just as the sign says is badly managed and where is the hygiene. The beer sometimes was nice and cold and the alcoholic drinks were watered down - I got a beaker that was half full with vodka and some coke - I'm still waiting to taste the vodka. The hygiene of the bar is absolutley disgusting - in fact everything about the running of the bar/restaurant is disgusting. The glasses all had lipstick around the rim - try using a napkin and wipe the lipstick off and you will see for yourself - no straws available. The plastic beakers you could still see the dirt on the rim. The coffee cups some of which were chipped and never should be out on display still had the remains of either tea or coffee inside - so you had to rinse these out using the hot water from the urn. At no point did I see the bar staff use hot water or soap to was the utensils with. Everything was washed in cold water. When you complained and asked for a clean item you were frowned upon. They don't like it. In all you need to wash everything that you are going to use, down to the very plates that you are eating from - they still contain traces of oil/grease. I don't know if they have health and safety in Turkey - but I would say that this hotel needs to be visited and possibly shut down. I can't see how La Luna is able to advertise as being 4* - this hotel borders on a 2-3* hotel. The menu consists of chicken or turkey done in all different ways that you can think of and chips. The selection of salad is good and I mostly ate salad and chips as at least I knew what I was eating. Every evening the "sweets" consisted of the same things all steeped in some kind of syrup. The "cakes" that were served in the afternoon were definitely past their sell by date - you could actually taste the staleness in them. But wha'ts the point in complaining - no one understands what you are saying and where's your rep - on the end of the telephone. The animals like to visit the restaurant and when you point this out to staff they take their time in getting rid of them. The staff do work long hours and they try their best but their best is not good enough. Some of them do speak a little English but not enough and the catering manager who does not speak any English just struts around the restaurant trying to look important but he needs to remember that he must change his shirt at least twice a day and shower because body odour is not nice. As for the beach being 50m away - you do have to cross a football pitch and the pack of dogs that seem to take up permanent residence on the small golf course. Once on the beach if you turn left the sun beds are much nicer - and if you are a guest at La Luna make sure you keep your wrist band on otherwise you will be charged by the attendant on the beach. The beach is not great but when all the greedy guests have grabbed all the beds around the pool by laying out their towels on the beds the best place is the beach because you get the sun as well as the sea breeze and what a better tan you get. I found on arrival that the sauna was not working and it was not certain when it was going to be fixed . The gym consisted of one running machine and one weights contraption and something else. By Saturday I managed to have a sauna as the engineer had been in and fixed it but it is not free 5 euros per hour - but they do a wicked foam scrub/massage and facial - if you've never had one - get one at La Luna - you walk away feeling refreshed, but pay in euros. The Haman that we had earlier on the week was a complete rip off - at La Luna the scrub lasted well over 30 mins and it was worth every penny - 38 lira or 12 euros. The best place that we found to eat was the Dancing Dragon - menu consisted of Turkish, Indian, Chinese and Italian, nice staff, chef who did not understand English was understood the thumbs up cooks absolutely wicked food - it was hot, flavoured and you walked away full. At La Luna - nothing was hot, no taste, no nothing. This was my very first trip to Turkey but I will return but I will not stay at La Luna and I will tell everyone do not stay at La Luna it is not a four star hotel and should not have this status attached to it. This hotel is really for people who want a good time on the town and are not fussed about what they eat/drink. If you are after sophistication La Luna is not it. At the time of the year we went it was coming to then end of the season the only time that we saw entertainment was on Thursday when they did belly dancing but we didn't even stay for that. La Luna does not cater for disabled people everywhere is steps the only ramp being the one leading up to the pool area.

disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member shewood

Just got home from club la luna thank god!!! This is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in, never been 4*, not even the day it opened unless they had stolen a few stars from another hotel!!!!. We paid for all-inclusive and ate out breakfast, lunch and dinner 6 days out of the 7 due to food being disgusting restaurant felt like a school canteen, when it opens at 7.30 am its like feeding time at the zoo!!!. Tables dirty and not enough, files everywhere all over food and stray cats roming around.
Room's were dirty we had nice brown stain in the bottom of the toilet when we arrived and was there all week even though they are supposed to be cleaned everyday. Blood stains on the bathroom mirror and bathroom tiles, never cleaned off. Also had a condom at the side of my bed,from the previous guests.We had to have cold showers everyday as no hot water.
We had a view over the kitchen back entrance where all the kitchen staff stood smoking and a lovely view of the kitchen bins and toilets above the kitchen (nice)
Staff were over worked, very tired and rude with it to guests.
Snack bar a joke didnt quite make eating the burgers and fries as files were all over the food. Wasnt enough glasses for people so you got a dirty plastic beaker. Spirits watered down and no entertainment other than cats and flies and stray dogs everywhere.
Advice to travellers If you cant cancel this hotel take plenty of money to eat and drink out. Some mice for the cats to play with a dog lead, some fly spray and just use as a place to sleep.

The Chicken Club

by TripAdvisor Member Nikkibear

My boyfreind and I stayed at Club La Luna in Gumbet from the 24th Oct - 31st Oct. We were after a cheap late deal for the end of October in Turkey and the Club La Luna through Goldtrail( who I had never heard of) was the only place available as it was half term week and every other hotel was fully booked. We had seen some pictures and saw that it was a 4*and thought can't be bad, let's go for it!! I had never been all inclusive before, nor had I been to Turkey, so I was quite excited about it. When we arrived in Turkey , we found the Goldtrail coach, only to find that our names weren't on the list, this was bit worrying after being on a plane for 4 hours to be told your names aren't on the list, at this point we thought I wonder if we will get a bed for the night!! After a couple of phone calls between reps we boarded the coach and felt better as we were now on the way to the hotel. After an hours drive to Gumbet, as our hotel was the last stop we finally arrived, on first impressions and bearing in mind it was dark as it was 2.00 in the morning the hotel looked very good and clean, and we both thought we had made a good choice!! We checked in and were given a band for our wrists as we were all inclusive and then the chap behind the counter reeled off the times that food would be served, we didn't catch many times as his english wasn't very good and he said them too fast!! The porter then took our bags and us to our room, he explained that the key works the electric when you put it into the slot like a credit card. It was a twin room and we had a requsted a double being a couple, but thought we will ask for an upgrade in the morning, as it was late! We did go out on the balcony which to my horror was a view of a brick wall and some wire fencing, it was awful!! Some of the electric switches in the room were hanging off ,but we thought for one night don't worry about it. Food on arrival was some sort of meat and cheese baguette, which was o.k after you haven't eaten for hours! The next day we asked for a double room and were moved to a lovely room right on the pool side it was quite clean and at least the view was much better, because you could see the sea from there! The shower could have done with some attention, but it wasn't too bad! We missed lunch, because we had got the times mixed up, as the chap the night before had said them that fast we didn't really know what he was saying, it was a job to know when meal times were. This is where I felt that there needed to be some kind of guest pack left in your rooms on arrival to tell guests the procedure, especially when you are a novice at all inclusive. I also felt that it was strange that we didn't receive a welcome meeting the day after we arrived, from the holiday company Goldtrail, so I asked at reception, the chap said the rep will be here from 9.00 on Thursday morning, I felt that this was a little late as we had been there a couple of days, if we wanted to go on any trips etc. That evening we saw lots of people gathering at the restaurant area, so figured out it must be meal time! The restaurant was more like a canteen and we felt like we were back at school. We had some soup to start which was alright and then chips, rice and chicken, we weren't sure what it all was as the menu was in Turkish! The sweets were just like little cakes drenched in syrup, my boyfriend is very fussy with his food so only ate the soup and bread. The cutlery was dirty and so was the crockery, not to mention that the waiters were none too clean also!! The place is also crawling with flies, there was a selection of salads and pasta, but they looked a bit dried up. After dinner we had a drink in a plastic beaker which was dirty especially around the top and also covered in lipstick, the bar doesn't state which drinks are free and what you have to pay for.
The next day we tried breakfast all I ate was a spoonful of cold beans, there were hard boiled eggs and juice needless to say this was the only time I had breakfast the whole week! We then later went to meet the rep in reception waited for 10 mins and asked the chap if she was coming, he then said she is not coming today, so I decided to call the office in Gumbet who informed me the welcome meeting should have been on the Wednseday at 9.30, but nobody at the hotel told us this, she arranged to come and see us on the Friday, which was far too late, but at least she was going to see us!! We lazed by the pool most of the day, with the flies as they are everywhere within the complex. Snack time was around 2.30, which consists of a pizza thing and chips, the snack bar is next to the bar and is also covered in flies, there was no cutlery and by the end of the week was no sauces either!! I could appreciate that it was the last week of the season and they were probably winding down there stocks, but I had paid for all inclusive and there was not even any tomato sauce!!! From that day on it was the same food, chicken morning noon and night, even the locals know this hotel as the chicken club, the same cd booming out of the stereo during the day while you lazed by the pool and by the bar by night! I had heard that they have entertainment at the hotel, but didn't see any at all during our stay! On the last few days of our stay the hotel ran out of coke and various other drinks, the hot drinks were always cold too! On the Monday the last night of our stay, my boyfriend and I sat down for our evening meal on the few tables and chairs left out as they had packed the rest away, we thought the food should be o.k as there were only 8 people left in the hotel we got our food chicken and chips and rice no surprise there then, and it was cold, absolutely disgusting!! At the start of the week there were quite a few people staying in the hotel and everytime we went for a shower the water was cold, when people statrted leaving throughout the week the shower got hotter, it scalded us on the last night as there were only 8 people left!! This hotel is not really suitable for children as it states there is a games room, which consists of a pool table and a few chairs and a t.v room which has hard back chairs in and is not very inviting or relaxing. The turkish bath which is advertised as free is a bit of a con, because you do have to pay for various things which you think are included not too mention it's dark, dingy and dirty in there. The fitness room comprises of one running machine and a exercise bike! The on site shop is not much better as it doesn't sell very much. There are no ice creams for sale within the complex, which children love not to mention adults, the hotel could do with a kiosk, where you could get these for free! All in all it was an experience and if it wasn't for the lovely people that we met during our stay, we would have had a really bad holiday, but we had to make the most of it. Gumbet it's self is not too bad and we enjoyed going to the market , we both will go back to Turkey, but not to the chicken club! How this hotel is a 4* I will never know it should only be 2* at the very most!!! The Goldtrail rep did eventually meet us on the Friday where she told us she was to scared to walk into the complex as she had received too many complaints from guests and that all the trips had finished and we were too late, we may not have been if we had seen her when we should have, I thought it was starnge that she had never checked to see if we were there at all. There is a bar just down the road from the chicken club called Janni's bar where we got good company and excellent food and we did find the Mcdonalds in Bodrum which was a bit of a life saver!! The weather was good, but was lovely to come home to a life without so much chicken!! The hotel has plenty of potential it's a shame they haven't realised it yet!!

Definately not a 4 star experience

by TripAdvisor Member Woollies

My husband and I booked a late deal holiday at La Luna and were really looking forward to a nice break in an all inclusive 4* hotel. The room was nice and clean, the grounds were pretty and the pool area was nice. The restaurant was basic with plastic furniture, was open to the elements and the food was so repetitive that I knew what would be on each stand for each sitting. The soups were very dubious and the menu was primarily chicken and salad and we craved fresh vegetables. What was really off-putting was the cats that were allowed to wander around the restaurant, which people fed food from their plates. There is only one bar which was manned by the most miserable and rude barman I have ever encountered. Most of the other staff were friendly and helpful, more so (I feel awful saying) with certain nationalities. The entertainment was annoying during the day and dire in the evening, with the highlight of the week being a bingo night. My advice to the hotel owner would be to either get rid of the current entertainment all together or pay for decent entertainment, i.e a Turkish Night. We read the complaints book whilst waiting for our transfer home and were in hysterics at some of the comments, all of which were along the same theme. We are not ones to complain usually but my honest opinion is that this is definately not 4* and I would have been really annoyed if I had paid full price. There are nice restaurants in the resort and Bodrum is definately worth a visit.

In defence

by TripAdvisor Member Jay1980

Having read the other reviews on here i decided to post one in defence, having stayed there last year and having an amazing week. Yes the entertainment was slightly cheesey, yes the food was pretty similar by the end of the week...... but.

The Animation team would bring a smile to your face, the food wasn't nasty, in fact I thought it was very nice, ok it was similar through the week, but that didn't detract from the quality. Every day we had a differnt afernoon snack which was very tasty. The staff were really friendly towards us (perhaps that was because were were friendly towards them and didn't treat them like slaves who were only there to serve us as i imagine most of the people leaving reviews did).

Our room was imaculate everyday! The bathroom was huge and very clean. We did have a problem with our door lock, but once we brought this to the hotels attention they fixed it within about 10mins. The hotel itself was very clean, the gardens were very scenic and constantly attended to.

A note to he people that said it was chavy... it's not the hotels fault these people were there! Stop moaning!

A few suggestions to the people who have left negative feedback:

1.Treat the people as you would want to be treated! The guys that worked there would do anything for you, and that goes for all the locals we met in the area!

2.If you get a bit bored of the food, go out for an evening for a meal. We did it and it was really cheap and really really nice!

3.Remember it's a different culture. So if your not willing to embrace this and try new experiences, next time why don't you go on holiday to somewhere you can get a full english for breakfast everyday, drink Calsberg and and tan like a salmon.... may I suggest Benidorm?

Stop Moaning

by TripAdvisor Member ClaireN.Ireland

Stayed at this accomodation mid Sept 07 for 7 nights, i just thought i would say my bit cause everyone seems to be moaning about this accomodation. I had a brilliant time at this accomodation and thought the staff where very friendly. The accomodation was spotless and food was average (but what do you expect for £350 per person all inclusive) I have been to Turkey many times before but this was the first in Gumbet, the accomodation is right on the doorstep of the resort centre and beach so was handy. I can only imagine everyone is giving this accomodation a bad name because ....
1. They have never been to turkey before
2. They don't relise 4* accomodation is not the same standard as the U.K ( or any well of country)
3. Paid more than they should have
4. Just love a good nag....

I have booked this accomodation again for June and will be returning with my family and cant wait.

Hope everyone hasnt put you of this accomodation and you go and try it for yourself, remember everyone will moan before they will compliment...

Good holiday overall

by TripAdvisor Member Cobdeners

My partner and I enjoyed our stay at the La Luna in the first week of April 2007. It's a small hotel in a good location, right on the beach and close to Gumbet centre and just over the hill from the lively Bodrum resort. It's surrounded by lovely mountains and we had a few nice walks nearby. The rooms at the hotel were very clean and nice, with fresh towels every day -- although the walls were a bit thin so we could hear our neighbours moving around.

We really enjoyed the food, there was plenty of it and although there was some repetition it was tasty. There was lots of lovely fresh bread, soup, nice salads, and usually meatballs, chicken, chips, rice, sometimes fish, fruit and an amazing platter of delicious desserts. There is breakfast, a three course lunch, a snack in the afternoon, coffee and cakes, then a big meal in the evening. As for the drinks, we stuck to beer most of the time as it was nice and refreshing, and the wine wasn't brilliant!

The best part of the holiday for us was the trips that we went on. For £40 you can go on a two day visit, starting with Ephesus (ancient city + home to one of the ancient wonders of the world -- amazing place!), a hotel stay, and then a trip to Pamukalle (unbelievable naturally occuring hot mineral pool in the side of a mountain) the next day, along with visits to a ceramics factory and a carpet weaving place and all meals included. This really made the holiday for us. The Dalyan river boat cruise is also well worth it, especially seeing turtles swimming around and going for a mud bath which was great fun! Try a Turkish bath too, they are great for relaxation.

Overall I would say the hotel is more of a 3 star place but for the price, it was well worth it.

excllent!

by TripAdvisor Member h0ney_bunny

i don't know what everyone is moaning about! This hotel is in an excellent location, the beach is a few seconds walk and Bodrum is a 20 min walk. The hotel staff were brilliant, really helpful and friendly. The food was always good, plenty of it to go around!
I would deffinately recommend this hotel to others who would like to enjoy a relaxing holiday!!

Comments