Royal Marin Resort

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Royal Marin Resort

Hotel Royal Marin Resort formerly Medesa

by TripAdvisor Member amurphy72

Arrived at Bodrum airport to be told that we wouldn't be staying at the hotel for which we had booked, but would be staying at the Royal Marin Resort which was 5 star. Impressed, we boarded the coach for the short transfer (approx 40 mins with drop-offs) and headed for our hotel.

First impressions - we were impressed by our "upgrade" and we were met by extremely helpful staff who helped us to check in and showed us to our room.

Attended welcome meeting with our Rep who we found to be very friendly and informative.

Went for a Turkish bath and massage etc, which wasn't at our hotel as advertised, but in another hotel in Gumbet. Nonetheless we enjoyed the experience and felt revitalised and it was a great start to the holiday. I would definitely recommend it if you've never tried it.

The room was quite big with a great view from our terrace of Gumbet and although the decor was a little dated, it was very clean and well presented.

The pool was great with a nice waterfall feature and was good size and the pool area was kept clean day and night.

The Food... After eating our first meal (lunch) we quickly realised that it was not 5 star cuisine but decided to give it a chance as we aren't fussy eaters and love to try different things. But by the time our evening meal came we realised just how bad the quality of it was. Not only was there very little choice but it wasn't even warm and on a number of occasions we watched the chefs bring out more food in trays that obviously weren't heated as they were carrying them with their bare hands!!

On day 3 we both became ill with upset stomachs and cramps(which lasted for the duration of our stay), and being unsure what had caused this, as a result we ate very little all week, managing only on a few chips from the snack bar by the pool. On speaking to other guests we realised we weren't the only ones feeling unwell. Four families we spoke to personally and several other guests we'd heard about had all been suffering from stomach "bugs", so obviously there was a problem somewhere within the hotel.

On the plus side, the staff were so nice and friendly, they treated us like royalty and really made us feel welcome. We can't thank them enough for the service they provided and for the care and concern they showed when they realised we werent well.

All in all, had the food been half decent and we'd been well, we would have had a fantastic holiday. If this hotel could improve in this area, we would consider recommending it to others, however as it stands at present we would advise to give it a miss.

Royal (food poisoning) Marin hotel

by TripAdvisor Member barbie16

We have just arrived home from Turkey, 4th September 2006. My husband and I are both suffering from acute diahorea, along with the majority of the holiday makers that went to the Royal Marin hotel. I strongly advise anyone who is thinking of booking this hotel, a so called 5 Star Hotel, to think again. The food was disgusting, always cold, uncovered, birds flying into the restaurant and sitting on the tables where food is being served. The only thing going for the hotel was the scenery and the sunshine. The staff were unable to understand any english, especially if you had a emergency medical problem. Also there was no entertainment at any time of day, except very loud foreign music during the day at the poolside. My classification of this hotel would be a 2-3 star hotel.

Don't go!

by TripAdvisor Member Vendulina

This hotel has changed name just before the summer holidays 2006! Me and my boyfriend always check for reviews before we go on holidays but didn't find any for Royal Marin and took the risk. This hotel has reviews on trip advisor under the name Medesa Hotel.
After two days eating in the Royal Marin I ended up on a drip in hospital with food poisoning and the few people we talked to had bad stomach problems too. All inclusive works from 7.30am to 11pm, if you get a coridor room that means you do have a window with the view to a coridor with doors to other rooms, very bizzare! The hotel has got a nice gym, but that opens at 9am so when I wanted to go before it gets too hot it was closed, i was told to speak to the menagment but the boss was not interested and send me to speek to tha reception and so on...
The view from the terace and pool is probably the best thing there as it is placed on the hill. Not very nice beach is about 15 minutes walk on road surrounded by skip.
This yaer we have been to 4* AI in Dominican Republic and expected something similar if not better but were really disappointed!!!

5 star my ****

by TripAdvisor Member flamingemail

Well we booked on teletext with bookable holidays having heard good things about the teletext holidays.

Having decided on Turkey we looked for an all inclusive hotel in Gumbet. Imagine our suprise when we saw the "Royal Marin hotel" rated as a 5 star!!! the price was fairly reasonable (although we found some people had paid half of what we had paid) so we thought "Luxury".

The trip from the airport was pleasant and on arrival at the hotel we were pleased tha it looked like a 5 star hotel.

Unfortunately that's where the 5 star appearance ended. We were booked in a corridoor room (admittedly we were pre warned) which was clean but the only window was facing into a corridoor (a room with a view costs an extra £10 per night) The all inclusive drinks were very limited,sometimes running out of brandy. The food was okay but you wouldnt ask for any of it again. The gym was well equipped and modern but he swimming pool was freezing and the jacuzi wasn't working.

Staff were freindly enough, the views from the patio were spectacular and the outdoor swimming pool was a nice touch although we didn't actualy go in.

All in all we had a good time but to avoid dissapointment think of the hotel as a 2-3 star rather than a 5 star

Shocked

by TripAdvisor Member holidaybunny

Well i am surprised to read the other reviews here. We got moved to the Royal Marin from the Anka next door which was truely truely terrible. I would not have put someone i did not like in that hotel.

We checked in to the Royal Marin and the room was clean. There were a few tiny problems with the room such as the lampshade was a bit torn but it was clean and had nice furniture. Honestly if you had been in the dungeon next door, you would realise that being clean is the most important thing. We had a gorgeous terrace with a wonderful view. Apparently the best rooms start at room 300 and go up to the 500's. We were in room 503. We did here some people moan about the views who were on the lowest floors, but when the views were so lovely upstairs by the pool who wants to stay in the room?

The bar was clean and the bar man was great, we were never short of drinks and if he was not serving he was cleaning. It was a nice place to sit and enjoy the marvelous views. The only slight problem was the 'animation' lady she did prefer the music unbearably loud, but would turn it down if asked. A few people got nasty to the bar staff as anything you have after 11 pm you have to pay for. But they had no right as you should know what time the all inclusive finishes.

The food, was fine. The hot plates had temperature guides and they were constantly checking the quantity out so it never ran low.
I think we saw a total of 3 sparrows in the resturant whilst we were there but they were soon scared away by the waiters. there were a few flys but you would get that anywhere.

The spa facilties were lovely, great suana, jacuzzi and indoor pool. We did not have a work out but could see all the equipment was new and there was lots of it.

It did not surprise me that room service and drinks after 11 would be extra as it clearly states when you check in what times the all inclusive includes. The beach was just the other side of the hill and the hotel provides a free bus service or you could get one of the little green busses for 1.70 lire. again i would expect to pay for my drinks whilst at the beach as you have to on nearly all the other hotels.

I do not think this was a 5 star hotel as such, but a good turkish 4 star. We had a lovely time there the staff were really friendly and helpfull. If they did not understand what you wanted they found someone who spoek better english to translate for them. The bar was good, the bar man did not mind if you got a couple of drinks in before the 11pm deadline. All in all a nice place to stay.

Much better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member Tannerata

Having read some of the truly awful reviews about the Medesa Resort Hotel, I vowed to myself before I went that if the hotel turned out to be half way decent, that I would write a review to contradict previous reviews.
We arrived home 21st Sept and feel that alot of the 'unfavourable' reviews were a bit unjustified. Some of the previous reviews said that if one went there expecting it to be an amazing 5* hotel then you would be disappointed - this is completely true. The facilities, on paper, make it a 5* hotel but the quality of the food/rooms etc are undoubtedly really worthy of a 3*. We were disappointed that there was only one bar but the setting of it is lovely so the view makes up for any initial disappointment. The food was a bit limited but there would always be something to choose from, failing that you could always fill up on the hot snacks provided eg. pizza, burgers, chips etc. There wasn't really any entertainment aprt from an out-door disco each night by the bar but on a friday they host a Turkish Night which was a bit different. The hotel was really clean and the staff were nice and friendly although they spoke limited English. It's about a 10 minute walk into the centre of Gumbet and the Hotel provide a private bus service to the beach which leaves every half hour. Overall, we had a perfectly nice holiday, met some great people but wouldn't go back there.

2 minutes in the hotel

I would like to advise everyone who wishes to make holidays in a 5-star hotel not to pick this one. We've been there with my husband for New Yers Eve, with the thought of escaping from our work in Kusadasi, for a long weekend. I have to say that it was not my first choice, but all the other hotels were booked and this one still had 50% booked (this already should say something). We thought, it's a 5-star, so how bad can it be? When we arrived there the hotel looked quite empty and not even lights were on. A smell of mould welcomed us at the entrance. The lady at the reception said that the hotel is fully booked, didn't seemed to me though. We booked all inclusive, but they said that it is half board over the New Year. After all, we've been to our room and after having spent not more than 2 minutes in the roomed, we checked out. Mistakenly we pressed the S in the lift, which goes to the indoor swimming pool and sauna, but it looked pretty strange down there with all the damp on the walls and that smell again. They told us that they could give us a better room, strange offer when all is booked out. I have to agree with some who are saying that there are much better 3 star hotels than this "5 star" one. We didn't even ask for a refund while leaving and even if they would pay us for staying there we wouldn't, because the overall image was wrong. We've been to Club Kadikale though, at the end of the summer, and that was great. Great rooms, food was excellent and not fat, which is important when its all inclusive as you easily can put on weight, the animation team, I'll love to see them again this summer... You just can't be bored. The swimming pool is small, but enough space for sun bathing. Just one thing you shouldn't do here, the boat trip. If you book a boat trip from Bodrum yourself it is cheaper and the drinks are included. But when they pick you up at the hotel, strange, but everything is extra. But this has nothing to do with the hotel anyway.

Worst hotel ever!!! Avoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member xxMr+Mrsxx

My partner and myself booked an all inclusive holiday here only afterwards looking at this site for trip advisor. We read the reviews on here, but thought "oh, we'll see what its like for ourselves." It was absolutely disgusting!!! Avoid this place at all costs! YOU WILL BE DISSAPPOINTED!

This hotel is the worst I have ever stayed in, The Place stank of human excretion due to the hotels tanker outside, the rooms were disgusting.

Me and my partner stayed in the VIP room, which was at the far end of the hotel, The air con was like a tap, 'Drip, Drip, Drip' all night long leaving a soaked carpet and a rotted skirting board.

The food tasted like dog mess, so we eat out 6 nights costing us a lot more money than we expected. On the last night we found a little lizard in our bed, he was so fast we couldn’t catch it so we just tried to go to sleep knowing that a lizard was in the room somewhere with us. The mattress was blood stained!!

The gym was a rusty weights bench with a snapped arm and the indoor swimming pool had big holes in the ceiling. We travelled with vision holidays and didn’t even see our Rep, transfers were non existent therefore costing us even more money.

When we asked for compensation they failed to reply time and time again. Please Please DO NOT GO TO MEDESA, especially with VISION HOLIDAYS avoid like the plague.

We are a young couple and recommend that you really do avoid this place!!! It is rubbish!

If you would like photos of this hideous place just to back up what we have said, then you can email me at: sarah_kate19@hotmail.co.uk

it was a terrible mistake we have almost ruined our holiday for nothing

by TripAdvisor Member zeynep1

we have booked our package holiday as an all inclusive form obt beach holidays. i believe it is a sub company to thomson. it was a terrible mistake. we have almost ruined our holiday it is because of their adverts on the net. we just want to have a week nice holiday. the hotel we booked was in a gumber and called royal marine and it was rated for 5 star i would not even give * for tis rating and its service. i am 6 months pregnant and informed to travel and told them to infrom the hotel. but never happened. the room was called standard room and it was on the isle of 5 floof down to underground from the main reception on the ground floor no wiew nothing at all with no facilities in the room at all no tea or coffee. we have arrived about 2.30 in the morning as a pregnant women i felt hungry and thirsty, we have asked for a room service and was told that would be extra if you want to use the service ok fine. but when we asked for a burger it wasn't coocked properly so sent it back to the kitchen never asked again. we have paid for all inclusive and asked for bottle of water to pay extra 3 in the morning. it is not fair on people who arrives this time of the day. i couldn't sleep till the morning so is my partner i just want to get out from this hotel i called the local agent to be a transffered to available hotel which we did but had to pay an extra £300 on top of £900. they sold the hotel as beach hotel but beach was 2km away from the main building and taken with minibus to get there no facilities whatsoever on the site everything will have to be paid as extra so what is the point of booking your holiday and paying £900 if you ever going to pay everything extra. it is so sad i really feel awfull because i can speak flurnt turkish so i would put complaints straight away but what about people who cannot speak the language. i request this hotel to be taken off from the list as a 5 star hotel no one has right to ruine peoples' holiday.
aagent as well as to be informed the

Cheap and Cheerful. You get what you pay for, but dont expect the Hilton

by TripAdvisor Member Faked_jeans

I travelled to this hotel alone in March 2008, having read some of the reviews listed here, and found them to be mixed, so i went with an open mind.
I was dissapointed on seeing my room, which had no outside view, just looking onto inside corridors. The carpet was stained, and had cigarette burns. I would say it was more in dire need of decoration though, rather than dirty.
I was offered a room on a lower floor, which had an outside window looking onto a brick wall ony a metre or so away. This at least would have provided some ventilation, but the smell was unpleasant, and that part of the hotel is a long way off from the comunal areas, so I stayed where I was. I considered what I had paid for my holiday, £289 for a weeks all inclusive, and realised that I really hadnt done badly for my money. The communal areas are very pleasant indeed. The food was satsfactory though not outstanding. The staff were mostly very friendly and helpful, other than reception staff. The indoor and outdoor pools are attractive and well maintained, and the turkish bath and
fully equipped gymn are exellent.
The entertainment available was not very good, being quiz nights, bingo, etc, followed by a movie, and not much to do on site in bad weather, which I had.
All in all, I would say that for the money I paid, I got a good deal. Dont go expecting UK 5 star standards, and you wont be dissapointed. If you want a holiday with plenty to do, go later than I did as Gumbet was all closed. A regular and very cheap bus service outside the hotel takes you into Bodrum.
I would reccomend this as a cheap and cheerful holiday. Keep an open mind, dont expect too much, and make the best of it and Im sure you will enjoy it as much as I did.

Comments