Goldcrest Resorts Kizlan

Good For No Data

More about Datca

Datca DogDatca Dog

kormen portkormen port

sand lilies in palamutbukusand lilies in palamutbuku

the mediterranean seathe mediterranean sea

Travel Tips for Datca

Aphrodite of Cnidus

by traveloturc

The Aphrodite of Cnidus was one of the most famous works of the ancient Greek sculptor Praxiteles of Athens (4th century BC). It and its copies are often referred to as the Venus Pudica (modest Venus) type, on account of her covering her groin with her right hand. Variants of the Venus Pudica (suggesting an action to cover the breasts) are the Venus de' Medici or the Capitoline Venus.
The statue became famous for its beauty, meant to be appreciated from every angle, and for being the first life-size representation of the nude female form. It depicted the goddess Aphrodite as she prepared for the ritual bath that restored her purity (not virginity), discarding her drapery in her left hand, while modestly shielding her genitals with her right hand. At first glance it may appear where her hand is placed is a gesture of modesty, but in all actuality it only emphasizes her nudity.
According to a possibly apocryphal account by Pliny, Praxiteles received a commission from the citizens of Kos for a statue of the goddess Aphrodite. Praxiteles then created two versions—one fully draped, and the other completely nude. The shocked citizens of Kos rejected the nude statue and purchased the draped version. The design and appearance of the draped version is today unknown as it didn't survive, nor did it appear to have merited attention, to judge from the lack of surviving accounts.
The rejected nude was purchased by some citizens of Knidos and set up in an open air temple that permitted viewing of the statue from all sides. It quickly became one of the most famous works by Praxiteles for the bold depiction of Aphrodite as proudly nude.
Engraving of a coin from Knidos showing the Aphrodite of Cnidus, by Praxiteles...Praxiteles was alleged to have used the courtesan Phryne as a model for the statue, which added to the gossip surrounding its origin. The statue became so widely known and copied that in a humorous anecdote the goddess Aphrodite herself came to Knidos to see it, and asked "Alas, where did Praxiteles see me naked?" The statue became a tourist attraction in spite of being a cult image and patron of the Knidians. Nicomedes I of Bithynia offered to pay off the enormous debts of the city of Knidos in exchange for the statue, but the Knidians rejected his offer. The tradition—apparently prompted by a stain in the marble on the rear of one thigh—that the statue was so lifelike that a young man secreted himself in the cella at night and attempted to copulate with it is recorded in the dialogue Erotes (section 15), traditionally misattributed to Lucian of Samosata. The dialogue offers the fullest literary description of the temenos of Aphrodite at Knidos

Memoire Of Can Yucel

by ozalp

Can Yucel is a famous poet of our language who passed away in 1999. He also translated some plays and poems of Shakespeare in his own way. Here is one of his poems, one of my favorites:

Sevgi Duvari

Sen miydin o yalnizligim miydi yoksa
Kor karanlikta acardik pasli gozlerimizi
Dilimizde aksamdan kalma bir kufur
Salonlar piyasalar sanat sevicileri
Derdim gunum insan arasina cikarmakti seni
Yakanda bir amonyak cicegi
Yalnizligim benim sidikli kontesim
Ne kadar rezil olursak o kadar iyi

Kumkapi meyhanelerine dadandik
Onumuzde Altinbas, Altin Zincir, fasulye pilakisi
Ardimizda gorevliler, ekipler, Hizir Pasalar
Sabahlari aciklarda bulurlardi lesimi
Oyle sicakti ki copculerin elleri
Copculerin elleriyle oksardim seni
Yalnizligim benim supurge saclim
Ne kadar kotu kokarsak o kadar iyi

Baktim gokte bir kirmizi bir ufak
Bol celik bol yildiz bol insan
Bir gece Sevgi Duvarini astik
Dustugum yer oyle acik secik ki
Basucumda bi sen varsin bi de evren
Saymiyorum olup olup dirilttiklerimi
Yalnizligim benim cogul turkulerim
Ne kadar yalansiz yasarsak o kadar iyi

And you can read a translation of this poem here: http://www.turkishclass.com/poem_177

Unfortunately poems cannot be translated easily. In this poem there is an untranslated word in English version: Altinbas. This is a trademark of "Turkish Raki", our national alcoholic beverage. And also Altinbas is my favorite brand of raki.

Cleopatra Bay

by traveloturc

In my country 50 % of the bays are called Cleopatra and this is only one of example of them.
This bay is situated very near to Palamutbuku and has some different character with his crystal clear water and unpolluted sand beach

Jayhawk2000's Datca

by jayhawk2000

"A great introduction to Turkey"

Datca is a small city close to the Greek island of Symi.

Excursion boats sail to Datca from Symi for the day and include a visit to the ancient ruined city of Knidos as well as a beach BBQ.

We visited Datca on market day using the hydrofoil from Symi. This is a faster, smoother way of reaching Turkey but you don't have time to see anything other than the shops and market stalls.

On another day of our Greek holiday we visited Marmaris on a day trip from Rhodes so have a look at those tips too.

From what we saw of Datca, the town doesn't have much to offer tourists, but on reflection it was the nicer of our Turkish excursions.

The marina is lovely, the proper shops are low-key but with good quality merchandise and the locals are less 'in your face' compared to Marmaris.

Apparently there is an old town further inland, so perhaps a taxi ride here from the harbour on a visit would be in order.

flowers and trees of my garden

"jasmin"

The First Jasmines
by Rabindranath Tagore
(This poem is from 'The Crescent Moon' by Tagore)

AH, these jasmines, these white jasmines!
I seem to remember the first day when I filled my hands
with these jasmines, these white jasmines.
I have loved the sunlight, the sky and the green earth;
I have heard the liquid murmur of the river
through the darkness of midnight;
Autumn sunsets have come to me at the bend of the road
in the lonely waste, like a bride raising her veil
to accept her lover.
Yet my memory is still sweet with the first white jasmines
that I held in my hands when I was a child.
Many a glad day has come in my life,
and I have laughed with merrymakers on festival nights.
On grey mornings of rain
I have crooned many an idle song.
I have worn round my neck the evening wreath of
BAKULAS woven by the hand of love.
Yet my heart is sweet with the memory of the first fresh jasmines
that filled my hands when I was a child.

"Blue Jasmin"