Karbel

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Karbel

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member klaireee11

31,31, 68 and 68 - London. Stayed at the Karbel Hotel in OluDeniz for 1 week half board from 12th - 19th Oct.

Had a fantastic time even though we had really bad storms for our last 3 days. Rooms at the Karbel were clean with a small balcony. Bonus is that there is a little fridge in the rooms and you don't pay for the aircon. Food is lovely and I found the staff very professional and helpful. The only moan I have about the hotel is that because it was end of season we only had 2 nights where the entertainment turned up and the other nights the barman in the pool bar (not Turcan but the other one) constantly wanted footy on where as the rest of us wanted music. We didn’t really eat out that much so I can't comment on the restaurants but HippyShake was the best bar for me with the most atmosphere, the guys working there are brilliant. We ended up spending quite a few hours stuck in Hippyshake during the storms and even when the ceiling was gushing water, we still ate, drank cocktails singing Bob Marley tunes :-)

A couple of doors away from Hippyshake are Dive med, a Padi dive shop and if you like scuba diving then Bob and his Crew are your people! We are not qualified divers but we have been 3 or 4 times before in other countries but for us this was the best one...mainly because we got a sail boat all to ourselves and the people who weren’t diving could sunbath on the boat or go snorkeling but it was well worth the money and the instructors are fantastic. Another day out we had was a jeep safari, I don't normally do these trips but my dad booked it and I was pleasantly surprised as to how much fun we had. This was booked through Metrolyla (I think that’s how you spell it) and our guide was Ali G, what a nice guy!! My Mum wasn’t very well the morning of our trip, she couldn’t open her eye and it was making her feel really ill. When Ali G (I wish I could remember his real name) picked us up he drove to 2 chemists but they were closed and in the end took us to his home where he gave my Mum 8 little unopened bottles of eye wash..How thoughtful was that!!!! If you read this Ali....you are "a salt of the earth"! x

I think I have written enough now :-)

Few more things quickly:
- Blue Lagoon beach is beautiful...sun beds pricey but worth it for a day.
- Ghost town...amazing! I think its 2 buses from Oludeniz and we met people there that came by bus, so it can't be that hard. Or the easy route that we took...we paid about 50 lira for a taxi there and back but make sure you arrange with the taxi driver to come back as there is no taxi rank there and wear trainers.
- If you can, get a Turkish bath and body massage, we went to Belcuiz Hotel Turkish bath....soo nice!
- Guys trying to get people into the restaurants/ bars are really friendy and you can have a good laugh with them
- Not a rowdy place but great for couple and familys
- Sunset in Oludeniz is beautiful
- Sound of the prays make Oludeniz feel much more exotic and soothing like mediating
- Turkish people in general were absolutely lovely!

Enjoy!

Fantastic Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member SarahRitch

An excellent Hotel in a wonderful resort.

The hotel was spotlessly clean, rooms were made up every day, never a problem to get sunbeds for the three of us. Pools brilliant just big enough for the size of hotel. Only complaint was the food breakfast only served until 10 and we were never up in time and the evening meals were a bit dull, partly becuase there are so many great restaurants to try in Olu Deniz and they are all cheap. However lunch by the pool was great.

We came with our doubts and left wanting to return.

One last thing early morning flights are a little tiring with a five year old.

Fantastic!!!!!

Good late break

by TripAdvisor Member flowerpetal

Just returned from Olu Deniz yesterday morning, what a fab time we have had. The wearher was brilliant, food exceptional, hotel spot on. The Karbel is really nice we just had b & b we like to go out for meals which are really good, our favorite place was Captain Hooks. The only thing I would like to say is take English money to buy everything they give a much better exchange rate than we got before we went. Next time I go (which will be a must) I would just take a few lira to tide me over a few days for essentials. Brilliant time .

Olu Deniz - the best things come in small packages.

by TripAdvisor Member Billy74

Thoroughly enjoyed Olu Deniz. Lovely resort; small enough to be cosy and large enough to offer plenty for everyone. The fleets of Dolmus (minibus) that travel between Hisaronu (usual neon tourist town but a good night out), Fethiye (large Turkish port, great food and market), and Olu Deniz make it incredibly simple to get around in about 15 minutes.
That said, the pool can get busy and the wedding parties we overlapped with ensured a few too many kids & teens for our liking - hence our regular trips to the lagoon. It's very easy - either head for the beach (which is nice in it's own right) and turn right or catch a minibus from one of the bars that take you to the private beaches on the lagoon. Bliss. Quiet, relaxed, waiter service, good food, great beach bar - I could go on, but let me just recommend the private beaches as the place to chill out. They don't cost any more and you're in the lap of luxury.
The pool bar staff at the Karbel were fine - except they often seemed a little distracted by the teenage girls staying at the hotel and treated some males with a little disdain as a result.
Out in the resort you get touted by the bar and shop staff - don't take it the wrong way - a firm and friendly 'no' is usually enough, but whatever just keep walking and they'll soon go after someone else. If you're haggling with them don't give in too easily as they'll always give a little more. They love a bit of banter over money and it's a good laugh all round.
Nightlife is limited but for a small resort there's plenty - some great restaurants (let me recomment Captain Hook on the main street - a little more than some others but definitely worth it and still peanuts in UK terms. Their sea bass is fantastic). Following your meal you can choose one of the quieter bars or head somewhere a bit louder - most of which are on the promenade and stay open later. There's also a bar on the beach if you head left - lovely and relaxing on comfy deckchairs surrounded by candles, listening to the waves, some nice music and sipping your drink.
Also, head to Fethiye for a more Turkish experience and to Hisoranu if you want a big night out. Both are dead cheap in a taxi or 10-15 minutes in a Dolmus.
I would also recommend heading elsewhere - either on a boat trip as some of the coastline is beautiful and each stop uncovers another lovely little bay just crying out to be swum in. There is plenty of history in the area and by visiting some of the ancient sites you will also see the 'real' Turkey and how the locals actually live. Don't forget there is a lot of poverty and making a small purchase from time to time might just help a little.
Scube diving is also wirth trying - there are plenty of dive companies for the beginner up to expert and they'll look after you wonderfully. A day on the boat out on the coast - and if not everyone fancies scuba they can snorkel, or just sunbathe and have a swim. It's good fun either way.
Overall, don't believe the bad hype. I've stayed in Gumbet and Bodrum as well as Egypt and would recommend Olu Deniz every time.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member malc&jackie

We stayed at this hotel from 7th -14th May and had a great time.The hotel is lovely, staff are friendly , there is really nothing to fault at all. We stayed bed and breakfast which was adequate. There is only bread, cereal and salads included but you can pay extra for a full english. We arrived at about 2.30 am but check in was quick and efficient. The rooms are not a bad size but the shower is very tiny not much room to move in it at all. We ate out most nights at a place next to the shaddow bar, the food is excellent and the portions are huge. We were having a 3 course meal and drinks and it cost us between £20-23 per couple. We went on an evening trip to the talk of the town and it was fantastic. it cost £20 each but included transport, a meal the first drink and the best caberet night I have ever been to.We also decided on the Dalyan transfer as we had a very late coach pick up. We were picked up from the hotel at 8am and taken to a carpet factory, then on a relaxing boat trip to the mud baths. After a quick wash we had a meal in a hotel and then taken by boat again to turtle beach for a couple of hours. We then returned to the same hotel for a shower and an evening meal and then picked up by coach at 10pm and taken to the airport. Do be warned though that the airtours rep will tell you you get the hotel room for the whole time you are at the hotel when in fact you get 15 mins each to shower and change-not much time for us ladies to get ready.All of this cost £32 each and it saves having to hang about at the hotel for ages. When you are ready to leave remember to take some snacks and drinks to the airport as there were 4 of us and it cost £12 for 4 fanta orange to buy them there.We all had such a lovely time we are looking to book for next year. Oh and I forgot if the photographer tries to take your photo get him to do it when your dressed up nice as he takes some lovely photos at a very reasonable price £3 each .

Kidrak Tabiat Park beachKidrak Tabiat Park beach

Another view inside the restaurantAnother view inside the restaurant

Fethiye-Calis ferry.Fethiye-Calis ferry.

KaragozlerKaragozler

weather and mozzies

by pompeymark

with only 13 days before i go to hisaronu for the first time..i was wondering how warm it will be in the middle of september in hisaronu and olu deniz..and is it right there are alot of mozzies about this area..and does the normal jungle formula work..

by FAIRYCHIMNEY

hey there ,
september is still quite good in the middle of September ,i ve done 1 week Lycian trek down there starting from Hisarönü and it was still hot.Yeap , insects are the issue on the coast but A/C is the best solution to avoid that.

Enjoy Turkey :)

by Jill2002

When we were there in June, they drove a van through the streets one evening each week spraying to keep the mozzies at bay. Definately time to go inside and close your windows !
Jill

by FethiyeFraser

Hi There
I'm just back from Fethiye (26th) and thats been the least mozzies I have ever seen.
Enjoy your Holiday.

by pompeymark

thanks..what kind of tempeture can i expect in the middle of september?..

Comments