Club Armar Hotel

Budget Travel

what a pit

by written on August 20, 2011

3rd August until 16th August 2011. Room Number 326

This hotel has to be the worst hotel in turkey; I can’t believe there are any worse. When we arrived they didn’t have a room for us, we had to wait a day and a half to get a room. We paid £60 for a safe in our room we put in our own combination numbers within 2 days it had been opened and £300 taken, the only people with a master key that would override the combination were the reception staff. There was about five other incidents were residents had money taken from their safes. For those that didn’t have a safe in their rooms, there was a room next to the reception with safes in it; the people that hired these safes also had money taken. I tried to report this to the Police as did a few other people, we had people that could speak both English and Turkish but the Police would not us to use these people as translators, we had to use someone from the Police Station and this would cost us 70 lira each .
The rooms were dirty, the beds were falling to bits, and the whole place is dangerous. While I was there my daughter cut her leg after tripping on raise tiles in the swimming area others broke legs and arms. Live wires hanging out of the wall and ground, the fire escape were boarded up so it couldn’t be use, and gas cylinders were stored under the fire escape, a vine with a truck about 4” across that had grown up over 30 foot collapsed and just missed a person on the sun beds. This was then tied up with string and a day later cut back and retied. In the bar there are two drink dispensers these were for apple and peach. While I was waiting for a drink I had a disagreement with the bar man who was filling the up with water fro the tap and not drinking water! The food is no better then slops in fact my dogs eat better food then we were served. Food left over from the previous night’s dinner was served up for breakfast the following day. The pool had to be closed one day as a light broke in the pool and they were afraid the wiring would cause the pool to become live. The wild life in Turkey is wonderful there is quite a bit around the pool and some even share your rooms with you . If I put down all the faults it would be classed as book and not a review
If I can give you one piece of advice this is it please don’t stay here

Unique Quality: turkey is a wonderfull place , with some great trips , and plenty to see
just pick a good hotel to be based from

Directions: not sure

Club Armar, Club Disaster

by written on September 6, 2009

A family hotel is a time defined by the British for sun, fun and indulgence. Only the first you will find at Club Armar although I’m sure they would charge for that if they could find a way.

Arrival, you will find reception staff who are hand picked. Hand picked not to speak English. The reasons for this are only too obvious when you are making plans to leave!

Transition however from reception to your room was smooth and efficient. The hotel you will learn is always dimly lit. But not to hide any unpleasantness, the hygiene standards are perfectly adequate. It’s dimly lit because the owners/managers are cheap, with the most budget of sensors on stairwells that almost switch on the lights before you reach the bottom.

But then you wake up and go for breakfast. Where you will be greeted by a good variety of salad, Turkish “hot dogs”, small chopped and fried pieces of potatoes, beans in a mild sauce and your choice of eggs, be in fried, omelette or sometimes boiled. There are the normal Turkish cereals, concentrate fruit juices or tea/coffee from the machine. But don’t worry if you sleep in and miss it, as you will have exactly the same mediocre breakfast every morning of your stay, with more understanding of its origin.

As you meander to the pool you will be greeted by the normal European mix, but there is a different tone to the pool, over just the normal manic kiddie screams. There is an underbelly of gossip. People complaining about throat, ear and eye infection. Possibly from the pool hygiene, possibly from the water or possibly from the unwashed laundry you’ll find in your room. Complaints stem from the food, to the bedding, the obnoxious manager, to the scams pulled by the kitchen and surrounding food establishments that they rent your hotel space too. Hotel guests being removed from their rooms because a member dares to question an aspect of the Hotel.

But you can escape the winging for a moment to venture for lunch. Once you have run the gauntlet up the black stairwell to the dinning room, much as Indian Jones may do you receive the reward of lunch. Surprisingly the salad remains. You can tell this by it’s appearance, the Turkish cheese and meat has been replaced with unlabeled bowls or guess work, chicken, something in a sauce and chips. But don’t you dare panic if you think you have missed a unique luncheon. You haven’t most of it will literally be back again tomorrow. You know this by looking at the bottom of the salad bowl.

When you venture out to the local Marmaris shops and restaurants you become a target. Mostly for the red band around your wrist. Although the “locals” don’t call it Club Armar, they call it Club Chicken. For reasons I never understood until the next day.

Retreating from the constant taunting of the knowledgeable you can be safe in the knowledge that there will be inevitably more sun and a relaxing evening meal awaits. The atmosphere in the dinning hall (I say this as it is reminiscent of my school days) would be described by an estate agent as a spacious cosy environment, worthy of setting the mood for the most romantic getaway. I would describe it as a room of mystery. Mostly because you have no idea what grotesque incarnations are going to be passed off as a meal. I can only assume they get away with this shambles because it is so poorly lit again that one wonders what the ceiling looks like. All be it, I now know where salad is sent when it no longer able to visually appeal. It is retired to the mixed salad bowl, cleverly disguised (for an imbecile) with oil, wilting lettuce, cucumber and tomato shreds. But it is delivered with service, they do this in front of you from the other bowls! Although all is not lost, there is a glimmer of hope to your evening meal, there is now a piece of crumbed fish. I say this as I assume that’s an appropriate verb for its presentation, recognisable only by the best of forensic scientists I would guess it is sardine. But never despair, some of the salad has now been replace by a desert, mostly because if it hadn’t they would not be a able to fill the counter. Now you have some brown blamange. Enjoy! Time and time again.

All is forgiven however by the evening entertainment, there is an eerie air of soberness. But there are reasons, soapy beer, odd tasting wine and local spirits that just can’t be right. All delivered in plastic glasses that are so old they slice your lips on contact. I would question the basic of hygiene practises when I note that they are all washed in the same foam, push in, pull out, hand cleaner. Having enough for one day I venture to my room, taking from interest one red wine from each of the three serving areas (normally only one is open at a time). Never have I seen a red wine served from the same plastic container that have utterly different textures. One with even a layer of grease on the surface. I assume that one was from one of the children using it to throw water from the pool earlier. One glass was almost digestible, the other was reminiscent of Boots best sun tan lotion.

Entertainment is not lacking either. I have never seen Karaoke used in mental self defence. You may get tempted by the Bingo, but with odds steeper than the national lottery and more expensive than a second mortgage you may dare to part with your money to break the monotony. You will only be spared for a matter of moments as that’s as long as it lasts. The mindless singing of those who are financially stuck within the confines of the hotel will howl on until midnight at which point I assume the management suffer one of their power outages. But why guests are still there is beyond me, as the alcohol stops at 11, and to make a last minute order beyond the size of those in your party will be met with a flat refusal.

Now it is dark, quiet and the population horse and sober. But that is not where the entertainment ends. I can guarantee a night of violent stomach cramps, excessive visits to the toilet and the realisation that the toilet role is not forthcoming from housekeeping. Despite speaking to housekeeping whilst they were visiting the rooms during the day, and then asking reception twice, it would appear that toilet roll is as scarce as a working light bulb. Liberating a toilet role from one of the public toilets will also be futile. As 200 rooms filled with 500 people have already had that revelation much before you.

But there is always a saviour to a hotel visit such as this, eat elsewhere and do as I did. Move hotel, although I gave Club Armar, 10 days of chances, only one of those involved my digestive tract.

CLUB ARMAR, MARMARIS "RIP OFF"

by written on July 20, 2009

Club Armar
We have just returned from our annual holiday in Marmaris where we stayed at the Club Armar Hotel. Like most families we saved up for the holiday and looked forward to the good times and relaxing in a 4 star hotel during our stay. My wife, my 18 year old daughter and I arrived at the hotel and were allocated a small room at the rear of the hotel with only 2 single beds, we pointed out that we had paid for a room for three adults but were told that the hotel was over full and that this was all they had. After hours of complaining an OLD UNDERSIZED CAMP BED that frequently collapsed was squeezed into the room which I slept on for four days until following endless complaining a new room was issued complete with 3 single beds. Other guests were moved to self a catering accommodation down the street, stacked 4 in a room and in one instance we learnt that a group of 10 lads were all put in ONE room!
Having got a new room we learnt that there were not enough towels to go round all the guests of the hotel so even after endless complaining we were not given towels for 3 days then only two were allowed. You needed to ask for towels on a daily basis to allow you to shower. There were no pillow slips or sheets on the bed for 1 night as the hotel “did not have any clean ones”.
Toilet paper was best provided by stealing it for the reception toilet as asking for it could take hours.
The food in the hotel in the words of ONE OF THE MANAGERS WAS “SH-T”! It consisted of chips, chicken nuggets, burgers, salad, cheese, water melon and cake repeated EVERY DAY!!! The cheese under the top layer was green with mould where it had been left while new was added on the top. The food is a standing joke in all the surrounding restaurants who capitalise on the fact that people need to eat so go out and buy food. The 2No restaurants nearest the hotel have a direct connection with the hotel and during the day different hotel staff can be seen working in them including the cook. This gives the hotel a win, win situation as you do not eat their food then pay to eat food in their restaurants! There are no snacks or ice creams available at this hotel at ANY time of the day other than a helping of dry cake dished out on a table at 5PM unless you pay for them.
The ALL INCLUSIVE drinks consisted of a small selection of tea or coffee, cheap soft drinks, larger, red and white vinegar/wine WATERED DOWN vodka or gin. I ordered a vodka on the rocks to taste it without a mixer, I would estimate that drink was around 70% water with just enough vodka to give a little taste when mixed with a soft drink. That was the FULL extent of the drinks allowed unless you paid for it in their restaurants of further afield. The hotel was that tight that you were only allowed two drinks per bar visit and the bar clock was set ten minutes fast to allow them to shut the bar early so that you had to leave and buy your drinks elsewhere.
Most of the staff were friendly other that a few white collar workers who thought they were gods. The young manager mentioned previously was an arrogant, egotistical man who loved to shout at guests telling them that HE ran the hotel and that if you did not like it TUFF! I witnesses several confrontations with the guests were he insulted them particularly young females and people just sick of his attitude towards them, even his own staff disliked him. The 4 number entertainment staff were a good set of lads who did their best on a shoestring budget to entertain the guests through the day and night. These 4 lads made the stay in the hotel tolerable but it would have been nice to have more professional shows.
The hotel has the potential and the facilities to offer 4star accommodation but due to the poor management, food and drink mentioned above I would not even consider the hotel to be a 2 STAR.
We ate out most days In order to feed and entertain my family over our two week stay at the hotel costing me around a THOUSAND pounds but it was better than eating and drinking the rubbish at the hotel!
I wish that I had read and taken advice from all the other bad reviews of this hotel prior to my holiday. I would not stop in this hotel ever again and warn any potential guest to alter their booking, do not book this hotel in the first place or take plenty of money!!!

Marmaris Travel Forum

Need advice about Marmaris, Turkey? Visit the Travel Forum for Marmaris and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Marmaris hotel reviews

Dolmus buses in Marmaris
Marmaris Turkısh Bath
Fun night out
Nightlife
BAR STREET IS BOUNCCCCIN!!
Grand Bazaar