Club Sun City

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Club Sun City

beautiful we loved it

by TripAdvisor Member aggregates

Club sun city 3 star only, However a lovely clean hotel, rooms were very basic but clean well air conditioned, small balcony, very good shower with warm water anytime of the day. Food was OK breakfast eggs, boiler, fried, scrambled, omlette no baked bean, needed square bread for toast machine. Food was fine you wouldn't starve, and there is always good old chips. Inside part of resturant needs airconditioning. Very much a family hotel plenty going on, gets busy round the pool you need to be down with your towels by 8 .15am. Take the free bus to Sun city private beach is a nice change from the pool, take a free pedalo out on the blue lagoon and lasy in the sun, swim in the warm sea the views are fantastic. We loved be able to walk the streets, shops and bars without any hassle. Having been to other parts of Turkey this is the by far the best. Would go back again self catering as resturant are very good catering for British if you want or Turkish, Chinese. Hisarou is lively at night, good place to take teenagers and you wouldn't worry about them being out at night alone. We don't take advantage of all inclusive we like to go out and about but with family great hotel everything you would need.
Go in our opinion one of the best hotels for value in Olu Deniz.

Our 2 weeks of queueing, waiting, and making the best of it...

by TripAdvisor Member cyberspacekadette

Our first time in Turkey! We arrived at the Sun City, very tired, about 1.30am, after a stressful day's travel on the first day of a major terror alert and severe baggage restrictions. A porter took us to our room which was in Block 7, close to the pool and snack bar, and with a garden-facing balcony. It was quite noisy until about 2am with teenagers hanging around the kids play area just near our room.
Although there were only three of us, our room could have slept five - we had two single beds pushed together into a lovely big double (all to myself), bunk beds for the kids, and a sofa-bed under the window which we used to put all our bits and bobs on, because there wasn't enough storage. The wardrobes were tiny, with a total of about twelve hangers for three of us for 2 week's clothes, and the drawers were very small and not deep enough to put in more than a few items of underwear.
The air-conditioning was lovely, although rather noisy. I turned it down when we went to bed, and left it on full-blast the rest of the time. I had to have a new safe twice during our 2 weeks. The first time, the bolts wouldn't line up properly, and the second time there was an electrical fault. On both occasions the problems was sorted within 20 minutes by a charming chap who didn't speak a word of English but obviously knew his technical stuff! The safe cost £2 per day.
We got clean towels every 3 days; the sheets on my bed and the bottom bunk were straightened every day, but the top bunk was only straightened once during the 2 weeks and that was when the sheets were changed halfway through the holiday.
You do have to be up very early for sunbeds, 6.30am was the best time to get a half-decent choice. The management actually decided to enforce the 9am rule one morning, and removed all towels left unattended, this helped slightly, after that you could have a lie-in until about 7am but then people would just put their towels down, take it in turns to sit on them until after 9am and then bob off to the beach/market/back to bed until the afternoon...
There just aren't enough sunbeds for even half the people there, and not enough tables and chairs in the restaurant, nor in the terrace bar or pool bar. We spent most of the 2 weeks rushing to be first at the pool/restaurant/bar just to make sure of a bed/table/chair.
The bar staff are VERY slow, no matter how many people were waiting it was always more important that they mopped the floor, wiped the surfaces, washed some glasses, answered their mobile phones etc... The all-inclusive drinks are quite limited compared to other AI's we've been to, you could have vodka, gin, brandy or raki (none of which appealed to me); beer (Tuborg - gassy and not as nice as Efes), red and white wine (okay with lemonade) and the usual choice of soft drinks; Coke, Fanta, fruit juice (Tang), and water.
The food was always freshly prepared and very well presented, the hot stuff was hot, and the cold stuff was cold, and none of us were ill, but after 4-5 days you've seen it all and tried it all. My plate looked pretty much the same every day: big pile of salad, grilled meat/carvery meat and rice or couscous or chips. There was always soup and bread and usually some kind of meat stew and loads of salad and various dressings. The desserts were a bit on and off, sometimes really nice cakes, meringues etc and sometimes really sweet icky pastry things which weren't so nice, but there was always fruit.
Breakfasts were nicer than I expected - lots of fruits and yogurts and honey and jam; cereals, pancakes, omelettes, fried eggs, boiled eggs, tomatoes and plenty of bread. The only problem was although breakfast was supposed to start at 7.30, the hot food wasn't available until well after 8am, which could be a problem if you're on an early excursion and want a substantial meal to start the day.
You can get tea/coffee and cake and biscuits at 4pm each day, and ice cream is available from the snack bar (from very grumpy staff) between 12 and 2pm. This was a bit restricting, most AI places we've been to have had ice cream for most of the day, and at the Sun City it meant that there was always a big queue for it and kids were eating their ice cream and then not wanting their lunch. The snack bar had rather limited snacks (chips, burgers, pasta, Turkish pizza) but was open from 12-5pm. The hotel also does "late night snacks" at around 11pm which was usually soup, bread and maybe pasta or something similar. In my opinion, a big tray of kebab meat and chips would have been better appreciated at that time of night after plenty of drinks!!!
The pool was lovely, the weather was really hot (high 40s, touching 50s some days) and the pool was the only relief from the heat. The adult-only Oasis pool looked nice (didn't actually try it) and the indoor pool was very deep and VERY cold, and very welcome in the heat! The area around the main pool is extremely slippery. There are notices asking people to beware, but how many small children read notices? I saw many nasty slips and bumps. The drain around the main pool became rather dirty and smelly while we were there, the pool was cleaned every night but I didn't see anyone cleaning the drain.
The entertainment was OK, the usual cheesey stuff you get in most family hotels, but the entertainment team were what made it special. They worked really hard, all day and night. There would be 3-4 games/activities in the morning (darts, kids water-polo, gym, team game in the pool) and another 3-4 in the afternoon (adult water-polo, water-gym, and some strange game made up with limited resources in the kids play area). The evening entertainment would usually take place in the amphitheatre and/or terrace bar upstairs, with a kids disco followed by the main show (sometimes professional, sometimes the hotel's own show) or a quiz or bingo. The entertainment team were fantastic, although Erkhan "the boss" sounds like "Franc" from "Father Of The Bride" ( "Hallo der gast - don't forget tonight's entament in da amphitar and a ruffle in the turasse bar... don't forget you can get ***tle bus to de beach...") Sun City was probably the best entertainment we have had for the budget. If you see Taner, tell him "hi" from us :) My son won the darts match one day and got a free cocktail and a prize from Macri jewellers. Another night we won the quiz and got a bottle of "champagne", a free family photo from Tweety the photo man, and another prize from Macri jewellers! The only problem with the entertainment was the same songs being played all day and night (Shakira, Sean Paul and The Pussycat Dolls) but towards the end of our stay some new guests arrived with some new CDs for D.J. (D.J.'s name in Turkish is a rude word in English, so everyone just calls him "D.J.")
The hotel has its own private section on the famous blue lagoon with a free shuttle bus and fruit juice and sandwiches available. A lot of people preferred it to the hustle and bustle of the hotel. The main resort beach (shingle - hard on the feet) is only a short stroll away and the main street with all the shops and bars is just a minute away. Olu Deniz is only a tiny resort anyway. We got hassled a bit on our first night to buy t-shirts, bags, perfume, gold, to book trips, eat meals, have drinks etc but if you just tell them you've already got one/booked it/eaten meal they'll leave you alone. After the 2nd/3rd night they remember you and leave you alone anyway.
The excursions sold by your tour operator reps are incredibly over-priced. Go out to the main street and get all the leaflets (and banter) from the various tour agents in the resort. Be careful if you book with Bloody Gorgeous at Metrolya - he talks fast, has you booked on stuff before you've even thought about it and tries to rip you off, but he's a good laugh if you keep your wits about you, and the trips we did book through him were really good.
The streets are very badly lit at night, in fact the only lights come from the bars and shops, and the pavements are very uneven so you have to be careful. I twisted my ankle very badly in the hotel on our 5th night because there were no lights and no handrail on the set of stairs going down from the terrace bar to the amphitheatre. The next night (after it had been brought to management's attention) we noticed the lights were on and a handrail had been fitted. It did kind of spoil my holiday a bit, because it was swollen and sore and I couldn't take part in all the activities, but everyone was very helpful, the girl at the bar always brought me an icepack every evening and the entertainment team were always coming over for a natter.
In our brochure it said the Turkish bath was part of the all-inclusive, but this only applies to specific appointment times which are never available anyway! Lots of people paid for the Turkish bath and all said it was lovely. On our last day we were unable to keep our room for a few extra hours and we were told we could use the showers in the Turkish bath/health centre. The showers in there are absolutely horrid!!! It was red hot with no air-conditioning, a nasty drains-type smell and hundreds of little flies everywhere which fly all over you while you're in the shower. I felt dirtier when I came out of there than before I went in! My daughter wouldn't even take her flips flops off in there, never mind have a shower before we went home. Some people managed to keep their room until 4 or 5pm for about £10 but our room had already been allocated to new guests arriving at 2pm, so we had to sit on our valuables all day (until the coach came at 7pm) and go home all sweaty and nasty because of the poor shower facilities.
Looking at my review, it sounds really bad, but we actually had a really great time, mainly because of the entertainment team and lots of good people we met. I don't think I'd go back, although I know my daughter would go back tomorrow (beware if you're taking teenage girls; Turkish lads are devilishly charming young men and you will not be able to get your daughter onto the coach back to the airport after 2 weeks in the company of these gentlemen...) The weather was too hot for me in August and Olu Deniz is small enough for me to have seen it all now. Sun City is nice, in UK brochures it is sold as 4-stars but we have stayed in better 3-star places in Spain/Canaries, however the area is lovely, the gardens around the hotel are beautiful and there are not many places you can lie back and watch paragliders sailing overhead from the huge mountain at the side of the hotel. The hotel just needs to tighten up on few minor issues, if there were more sunbeds, a queueing system for mealtimes, more variety in the food, and bar staff who actually serve drinks instead of chatting and faffing around, it would be perfect!

Met expectations only just!

by TripAdvisor Member penny700

Been to turkey previously (1998) stayed in Hisaronu that time - just a few miles uphill from Olu Deniz..so it was interesting to return some 8 years later !

Flight was fine but coach broke down; took 4 hrs to get to the resort - next time I will get a taxi hopefully may be cab-share with other's (£40-50) ! even with making for allowance for the break down (1 hr); after an early flight the waiting around for everyone to get to the coach (over an hour) and then the subsequent drop-off's (1.5 -2 hrs) is all very time consuming exercise if you know what I mean ?

The first impressions of the resort was good - nice grounds and looked well kept - but the rooms are a rather a different story - I would have expected better quality rooms; rooms were small; balcony is a waste of time as was too small to sit 2 people comfortably - air con works only when you are in the room as the air con/lighting works only when you insert your room card-key, therefore if you are planning a pre evening nap you will find it impossible; as it takes a good while for the room to cool down - nevertheless I suppose the room is adequate - showers and bath work very well.

The resort mainly attracts family's rather then couples; however there is a adult only pool which looked very good but I did not use - the entertainment was amateurish to say the least but at least they made effort to make it as enjoyable as possible....sun beds were always busy but managed to get on one after circling the pool area a few times - need more though ! be careful as per other reviews pool area is very slippery and one young girl had a bad fall and received a head injury - weather mid 40c's - but can get to 50c+; we could see people not putting enough sun screen on - I went further by adopting alternative day on/off t-shirt whilst in the pool and out - and I was born in the med so that must tell you something about the protection one must take !.

Food (buffet)

Must say the food was one of the best on All Inclusive that I have been on, not that I have been on many AI's but I enjoyed the food [beer drinkers beware the "AI" beer was crap - Turborg worst beer in the world guaranteed - but you can buy efes from the hotel shop - much nicer ! ] - plenty of fresh salads and main courses were fine too; Chicken; Kebab; Steaks & most of the usual Turkish stuff - did not find the food too repetitive but you might do if you stayed for 2 weeks we only stayed for 1 week - we ate out on the last night but to be honest I think I would have been better off eating at the hotel as we went to an Italian restaurant on the promenade and they overcooked my pasta and they didn't know what parmesan cheese was ! - shocking ! ; pizza were not that great either (avoid this restaurant forgot the name of the place) anyway it's an Italian on the promenade - second word begins with letter G and the owner also owns the "north to defend" bar in the main street - bar was ok though but when you ask for the bill they ask you what you had ? which is a bit strange after a long night - they tend to add a bit if you know what I mean so write it down as you are going a along & checks the prices or you might be ripped off - we were !) - don't let that put you off eating out most restaurants looked very nice and the food is generally very good from what I have been told; (try ottomans grill) wish we went there ! - never mind !. - Wine at the resort was more then satisfactory - but I was told to avoid the red - apparently it's not red but infact a rose with a horrible taste ! ...before I forget you must try the savoury Turkish Pizza Pancake ( v.cheep and amazingly tasty ) - just as you come over the bridge in to Fethiyi market you will see pancake place (Market day @ Fethiyi Tuesday's only...)

EXCURSIONS

If you are not scared of heights then Olu Deniz is an Paragliding haven ! - even though I hold a private pilots licence I was too scared to give this one a go !

Avoid excursion firm "Absolutely Gorgeous" as I have read this on other reviews NOT from personal experience - My previous trip to Turkey I did the jeep safari which was tremendous but can be a long day - I actually drove the jeep and the big hill drops below were a little scare'ish but safe enough ! - the gorge and mud baths was very good too; at least you are venturing out in to the country and doing some sight seeing - I have done the Island boat trip both in 1998 and again on this visit - sadly the captain (long john silver (nickname as had only one leg !) died some 3 years earlier (real name "Sámi) so we we were saddened by this news - however on most Island boat trip and you can still get a whole days out at sea with lunch for a fiver ! still the same price after 8 years ! - however a word of caution the price is a fiver for a reason as some boats they pack you up like sardines - probably not too bad this season as the tourist numbers were down; but otherwise it would be very uncomfortable after a while; as it is a long day - on our boat trip we went with Max 12 people (usually takes between 12-15 max) and had wonderful time - it was not a 12 Islands trip but was a whole day out in the beautiful med sea breeze - frequent stops for swim/snorkelling/fishing and the Tarzan rope at the end was fun although climbing the rocks to get to the rope can be painful but nothing like swinging yourself in to the the sea ! food was excellent on this boat (grilled fish was excellent) but as there were only 12 of us the price was more expensive about 20 pounds, but well worth it boat is called Saint Julie ( Skipper also called Sámi) (free pick up/return from hotel to Fethiyi)...

Lastly; currency conversions can be a headache - they tend to offer you a choice of payment lira; sterling or euros but I was never able to work out if I ever got the best deal at shops ? mathematical headache too far beyond my intelligence level (but they do prefer sterling ! ) - we would like to return to Olu Deniz (Possibly next June) but probably wont stay again at the sunset resort, I expect there are plenty other hotels worth a try - summing up Olu Deniz in a few words ! "scenery ' people, weather and culture is just pure MAGIC" !!!! ...Enjoy !!.

olu de niz resort fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member green123

well wot can i say just had 2 weeks at sun city first they allocated us wrong room but they did sort it out bathroom was a bit small but we managed, The maids were brilliant they were so freindly always did a good cleaning job . If wen you get there avoid eddy who sells jewellary if you dont buy from is shop he doesnt want to no you and he is like a lepper over young girls .The bar staff we found not to pleasant but abru was lovely a young girl with dark hair they were a bit slow at serving and sometimes you didnt get served at all we did complain to management but nothing got done The entertainment staff were annoying they dont take no for an answer the pool area is very slippy be carefull and you can never get a sunbed we had some right arguments over them people were getting up at 5 in a mornin putting towels on them everybody was complaining they say they take your towels off before 9 but they dont . The private beach i found dissapointing you have to pay for a cushion for your sunbed and drinks you have to pay for unless you want juice but the staff there was very friendly the shuttle bus is very frequent either The food you got bored of struggled to get kids to eat and they are clearing tables before you have finished a bit annoying the shop and hairdressers are fab the couple who run them are lovely she will fit you in anytime if she can .The room we stayed in 701 was run alive with ants for the whole 2 weeks and reception staff was very unhelpfull wouldnt help us at all The resort itself was beautifull just enough shops but you can barter with them also visit belsecki beach market down the front they are so freindly down there but not many folks no its there the beach is fantastic you can watch paragliders landing all day and the views are stunning Also make sure you visit fetiheye its brill . Would i go back not in a million years but definately to olu de niz itsself If you go with thomas cook the rep catherine is wonderfull she will do anything for you she is fantastic she will wash your towels for a small donation to her charity but she will tell you about this charity at the welcome meeting and she will leave you towels why she has yours and she likes left over sun tan creams you longer need PLASE TAKE HER SOME OXO CUBES she is in great need thanks

ok for 1 week, 2 weeks too much

by TripAdvisor Member daisykins

I wouldn't say that this was a 4 star hotel, maybe when it was built, but not now. I would rate this hotel as a 2 star, maybe poor 3. The rooms were old and dated, nothing like the room featured on the Sun City TV channel. The only English channel on the TV was BBC World, news and more news. If getting a drink at the bar, double your order as the bar staff are very slow. The food was ok if staying for 1 week, after that it was very repetative, we ended up spending a fortune eating out. I have to say for anyone staying at this hotel with small children the playground is very good and was probably the highlight of the holiday.

something for everyone

by TripAdvisor Member dianajedi

We went to Sun city on 22/9/06 and could not fault it. We were a couple but there was lots for kids. It was clean with plenty to do and very good food re variety and quality. The private beach is well worth visiting.

Beautiful scenery. Shame about the wasps and hornets.

by TripAdvisor Member Mazpuss

The First Choice rep was very good. The Hotel had double booked and shoved me in a dusty attic for the first night. The problem was resolved the next afternoon by the rep.

The pool was lovely - as was the Turkish bath. Be careful if you buy any products. They were all a year or two out of date.

The cold food was brilliant but the hot food choices were limited and repetative. The packed lunch is a soogy roll with some spam and a plum. I suggest you don't bother with it.

THERE WERE WASPS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To escape, take a trip on the Gullet boats - not to Butterfly Vally though as there are loads of wasps there too.

Overall, it was an ok 3 star hotel and as long as unlike me, you didn't pay more than GBP600.00 for two weeks then you will get your money's worth.

Date of visit 23/09/06 to 07/10/06

Great time at Sun City in October

by TripAdvisor Member Yatmei

Have just come back from a week's stay at Sun City hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it!! Rooms were spacious and clean and shower was very powerful. The only drawback was the amount of noise penetrating through the walls and ceilings but as we weren't in the room very much it wasn't a problem, just remember to bring ear plugs for sleeping. The hotel grounds were stunning. Pretty plants everywhere and all well kept! The staff were friendly and worked hard. The food was traditionally Turkish which was fab! The breakfast was a bit disappointing though especially if you fancied something hot. There was an Omelette man, some soft boiled eggs and some sort of ham or sausages in a tomato sauce. Otherwise if you like a cold continental breakfast there is no problem here. We thought the food was so good that we didn't bother trying out the local restaurants (most of which seemed to advertise British food). If you are a fitness fanatic and can't live without the gym you would be disappointed with the "fitness centre". It had two bikes which worked well, a mulit-gym which didn't work well, a sit up bench, a few dumb bells and an ab roller. The equipment was just so dated. The hotel itself was right in the heart of Olu Deniz which was so convenient. A short stroll to the beach (the nearest beach was better than the private beach in my opinion which was nice but not amazing), to the shops and local bars and restaurants. The private beach is worth a visit though. You can take a pedalo and admire the views. Weddings take place here but it's not that amazing for a wedding. The weather was mostly good last week apart from stormy weather for a couple of days which was rare we were told. Yesterday (15/10) was a scorcher, probably not far off the 30 degree mark. It was a nice time to go to this hotel. Still plenty of people but a very relaxed number. I can imagine it's not pleasant in peak months. Plenty of excursions at low prices. "Hannibals" in the High St seemed to be the cheapest (don't book with reps). Boat trips and jeep safari and paragliding were the most popular activities. To sum it all, nice hotel, good food, hot sunshine, plenty to do, cheap, good fake designer goods shopping, and good nightlife. What more could you want? I'm not one to go somewhere twice but I could see myself going back for more. The End.

No high rises!

by TripAdvisor Member newcollege

We went between the 9th - 17th October 2006. Never been to Turkey before but we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is spacious and the rooms comfortable and clean.

Best thing about going October - no kids. We didn't have to fight with anyone to get a sun bed and even in the afternoon you could still get one. We liked the Adults only pool, which was quiet. The main pool is big but cold and this is where all the activities take place. As there are no high rises, so the sun doesn't 'go in' until sunset, which was around 6pm.

The food was nice and you eat all day long if you wanted to. Breakfast was between 7.30 - 9am. Lunch 1 - 3pm, Snacks between 12 - 5pm, Ice creams between 12 - 2pm, Dinner 7 - 9pm and then Soup Kitchen 11pm - midnight. The main entertainment starts at 10pm in the Terrace bar, and was good fun. The Entertainment staff and bar staff are very friendly.

We had a proper Turkish Bath at the hotel and went to the Talk of the Town one evening. Its a Drag Queen show, with one guy from the X-Factor in it. Its a good show!

The hotel's private beach was a disappointment, especially when we found out that you had to pay for drinks and food - considering we were all inclusive. The Blue Lagoon is lovely and well worth a trip there. It took us around 20 minutes to walk there. Food outside the hotel is cheap and good, although papers are rather expensive.

All in all, it was a good holiday and would go back to Turkey

Fantastic Time

by TripAdvisor Member julew

After a lot of problems with the booking of our holiday through Global late deals.com (won't go into details), we had a fantastic time at sun city. Thought the food was really good, and there was always plenty of choice. Thought the pancakes on the saturday night were great. We actually went out one night for a change and had a meal in one of the restaurants, which was very good, but I had a better night staying in the hotel. The entertainment was a bit naff, and more for the kids, but the team were great and really enthusiastic. Had seen comments about the bar staff being slow, but I didn't find this to be true. We always got served in a quick time. This is the first time I've been all inclusive, and would definitely do it again. I may even visit the sun city again, because we had such a good time. We preferred sunbathing by the adult pool, because it was much quieter, but if you have kids, the main pool is also ok. The hotel beach was also very good, especially the free pedalos. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

Comments