Aydinli Mah., Goreme, Cappadocia, 50180, Turkey

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Family Run Cave Hotel in Cappadocia

I did some research online before my journey to Cappadocia. Kelebek has an attractive website that is easy to navigate. They have pictures of all 36 rooms with a breakdown of price, type of room and bed. I found this extremely helpful in making my decision. It looked like a very nice place with reasonable prices. They also offered a shuttle service to and from the airport for a reasonable 10 euro each way, considering it is a 45 min trip from Kayseri airport to Goreme.

I was not disappointed with my choice. The Kelebek hotel, located in Goreme, has a perfect location overlooking the valley below with picturesque views of the cliffs and fairy chimneys that the Cappadocia region is known for. It is a family run business, on the grounds of what used to be the family home, and it has that cozy homestyle feel. Feray, one of the owners of the establishment is a very friendly person with an engaging sense of humor. I liked him immediately upon meeting. We arrived via the shuttle at Kelebek in the late morning. As our rooms were not ready yet, we were offered to have some breakfast (at no charge) in the hotel common area which consists of a dining room, bar and relaxation area with a TV and collection of travel books. There are computers available for internet access there, but wifi is free in this area if you have your own devices. The breakfast was quite good with a selection of dried and fresh fruits, cereals, yougurt and pastry. Hardboiled eggs are available, but they will also make fried ones for you on request. It is a nice spread of food for the traveler to fuel up on for a busy day of touring. After finishing breakfast we visited Feray in his office to discuss our options for touring about the area. He was very helpful in his suggestions and providing us with useful maps, brochures and restaurant recommendations.

At this time our rooms were ready and we were eager to see our accommodations. The rooms are a mixture of cave style and stone-arched, which can be selected from the website before arriving. The rooms are spacious and clean, and many come with a fireplace that you can use. A stack of wood and lighting instruments are included. The room I stayed in didn’t have a television or phone, but that was not a concern for me. These are available in the common area anyway. Also, some rooms have windows, but others in the interior do not, with only a small window near the door to the outside courtyard. Again, you can determine this from the pictures on the website and choose accordingly to your desire before you book a room. Concerning the bathrooms, mine was rather small, almost like a walk in closet size, but a friend and his wife had quite a large sized bathroom in their room. It largely depends on where your room is located I think. Other than that, they were clean enough and the water was hot. I don’t need much more than that.

The owners and staff were always available and willing to help when needed. I arranged my Balloon trip with Butterfly Balloons through the hotel (See my review of Butterfly Balloons). They have a collaboration of sorts I think. In fact, Kelebek means Balloon in Turkish. I really can’t say enough good things about my experience with Kelebek. While it is not a luxury hotel with all the amenities, it is a genuine family run establishment that prides itself with service and comfortable accommodations. As a helpful hint, they do offer a 10-15% discount if you pay cash. This can be a good discount of you stay more than a few nights. They accept multiple curriency too (TL, USD, EUR), which is convenient. Also, there is a travel office on the grounds of Kelebek to plan any tours of the area. I didn’t use them other than to store my baggage on my day of departure, so I can't say what the service is like. I offer some contact info: Heritage Travel (e-mail: ali@goreme.com). It is connected with the hotel so you can also contact Kelebek directly about tours. I hope travelers find this review helpful.

Unique Quality: Friendly family run hotel; Great views of Goreme valley; Pleasant dining area with generous breakfast (included with the room); Balloon trips can be arranged here with the sister company Butterfly Balloons.

Directions: Turn left just before the Butterfly Balloons office. Kelebek hotel is a short distance up the road with a few twists and turns - follow the signs.

• farpost2's Profile Photo

Awesome Experience

This place could easily rest on its well established reputation - amazing views of the valley, great breakfast, friendly staff - but they continue to go above and beyond.

We stayed in the least expensive cave chimney room and were still treated like VIPs.

Highly recommended.

• Jawnuta's Profile Photo

cave hotel

The location is great. Hotel looks fabulous. Breakfast is outstanding. But our room could not be more dusty. The little hotel puppy was peeing on carpets. The hamam staff were rough when they find out we just paid for an entrance without extra massage.
    I think they just have too many tourist they are able to deal with, therefore there is no attention to details. I could oversee all of the above if not for a quite hefty price of our room.
    If you charge people western fee for a room, you should deliver some standard.

Unique Quality: Fantactic breakfast and views 180 degrees.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

looks nice!

This is a hotel I didn’t stay but some friends did and their commends are so great that I thought it is a good idea to drop some lines here.

I visited the hotel many times because the travel agent I used, Heritage Travel has the office inside the hotel. All the people that work in the hotel seemed friendly to me and there was always a cup of tea waiting for me. The terrace for the breakfast or the afternoon tea is ideal with a great view and the hotel is partly curved in the rock. So, they have some cave rooms and some normal ones.

I also noticed some leaflets about their Turkish Bath & Sauna facilities:peeling & soap massage, turkish or classic massage, aromatherapy etc The prices are from 40$ to 90$ depending the massage and the time length.

Directions: Its about 10’ walk from the bus station, they provide transfer if you ask

• Elena_blue's Profile Photo

Kelebek means butterfly...

Definately recommended, the ideal fairytale decor for a memorable stay in Cappadocia.
    Traditional, half curved in the rock and half built, with panoramic views, friendly and helpful staff and delicious breakfast with fresh local products.
    Under the same management there is also the kelebek suites boutique hotel.
    Visit their website, choose the room you want and email your room request. You can also ask for transfers.

I had such a nice time in Kelebek hotel and Cappadocia that I forgot to take a photo for a tip in vt so,
    The photo here is copied from the Kelebek hotel website.

Directions: In the village of Goreme, on a small hill that allows panoramic view, about 7 min walk from the bus station.

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

Very nice hotel

The thing to do in Cappadocia is to stay in a "cave room" hotel, so we did. This hotel was pleasant enough with friendly service, but "cave room" tends to mean "dark room", for obvious physical reasons. There was only the one small window out in the living room. We stayed in the Sirahane room (Wine Cellar) at the Boutique hotel. Our living room was built out of concrete block but the bedroom was dug out of solid rock. The bathroom had a decent modern shower and a nice large tub, and was clean.

Another feature of cave rooms is that the cave ceiling is constantly dropping white rock dust onto the bed and the floor, so though they clean it every day, it will always be around. This is obviously not the fault of the cleaning staff, just part of being in a cave.

The decent breakfasts were in a very pleasant sunroom with spectacular views. The hotel is well run with ample help to arrange tourist activities.

I would stay there again, but in the Classic Hotel, rather than the Boutique Suites Hotel, and only if we could get a room in an actual fairy chimney, and one with a little more light.

Unique Quality: Many rooms in the other half of the hotel, the Classic Hotel, are built into fairy chimneys.

Directions: About 300 m south-west from the centre of Göreme.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Best cave hotel

We found the Kelebek on the net. We wanted to stay in a cave hotel but what attracted us the most was the prospect of a fantastic view of the strange formations from the hotel.We were not disappointed!

We stayed in the pension part of the hotel. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly and breakfast was one of the best offered throughout our stay in Turkey. There was an internet available and the dinner meals they served also looked good. They also picked us up and dropped us back at the bus station. The hotel itself is very close to the main centre of town(which is not big) and we were able to walk in very easily (even in winter)to have a meal.

In addition we were able to hire a guide from the hotel.He was excellent!See separate tip.

Unique Quality: The view!!!
    Cave rooms!!

• Ckaya1978's Profile Photo

The Best Cave Hotel of Goreme!!!

Oh my god...it is like staying in another planet!!! The pension is set in the ancient rock houses. The rooms are caves rooms nicely decorated. Comfortable beds. Everything you need in the modern world. The view of the Pension is amazing. It has a room terrace where you can see all Goreme!

Very relaxed place, perfect for all kind of people!

More about Kelebek Classic Cave Hotel

affordable hotels in Cappadocia region

by Jawnuta about guest houses

Here is a list of affordable hotels in Cappadocia region.
Most of them have private bathroom and the price includes breakfast
The Price is for July 2009

10. Kirkit Pension E 40
11. Monastery Cave Hotel E 35

Excellent Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member quicksilver033

I have stayed at Kelebek hotel for 3 nights.I have spent alot of time in the lobby with Mustafas.There are 3 Mustafathat ı have met and all of them are nice and kind.
I had lunch with staff and we had very nice salad with hotpot. I had dinner in the hotel as well which was excellent and I reckon people to eat there bcoz there are not many nice restaurants in Goreme.

I have stayed at Goreme which was cool at night with fairy chimneys in the streets. Who says goreme is small, I got lost twice in the middle of the night and there was no one to ask where my hotel is.

I went to Explore and Hike tour with Mustafa who was our guide and I highly recommend to visit main attractions with him.He is a excellent guide.He knew all about the churces and valleys very well.Especially,hiking at rose valley was great adventure and insipiring part of my visit.

All in all,I have spent lovely 3 nights at kelebek hotel.I would absolutely stay there again.

Great Stay in Goreme

by TripAdvisor Member turkeywanderer

Hadn't planned to go to Cappadoccia but decided to the last minute on the advice of a lovely couple we met on the beach in Chirali. They are residents (own a cave house) of Goreme and insisted we go. They called Kelebek and made our reservation. Soooooo--- having no idea of what we were really in for, we took off on a long day's drive and arrived late evening. Goreme is the place to stay and Kelebek one of it's best. The views are fantastic, the rooms truly authentically Turkish decorated, and staff warm and helpful. A very unique hotel in a remarkable location with great views of this awesome cave house town. Like something of a moonscape! We stayed in room 13 and later moved to room 10. Both were cave rooms. I wasn't too sure I would like staying in a cave but these rooms were attractive with modern baths and all amenities of a good hotel. ( Good pics. on their website of each room.) While there a member of our party had an ear infection. They made an appointment with an ENT Dr. in the next town and sent an employee with us to find our way to his office. ( Good doc., up to date equipment, 2 office visits cost $50.00 total.) People who lived in the area of the Kelebek were friendly. We were there in Oct. when squash was being harvested and people were sitting outside the walls of their homes with the orange squash. A drink on the Kelebek terrace in the evening is pure ecstacy!

transport in cappadocia

by ann1365

I have limited time to visit here and would welcome any advice on getting there from Izmir. Would IStanbul to goreme be better/easier? I only have a few days to spend there so can anyone suggest a tour company in cappadocia I can use for day tour given my short time available? I am travelling alone so would welcome advice

cheers

Ann

Re: transport in cappadocia

by youc0001

Either way, it will probably take the same time. I think Izmir to Goreme may be easier. the buses go everywhere. I stayed at Kelebek hotel in Goreme, which was great, and took a tour with them. Sarap was a great tour guide! Good luck travelling alone if you are female! The men can be quite annoying. Get a seat next to another female on the bus.

Re: transport in cappadocia

by chacho

Hi Ann, in Cappadocia I advise you to stay in Goreme..Kelebek hotel..I stayed there last summer for one week. Very friendly, beautiful hotel with stunning views..and very cheap, too! They also do 1 day tours of Cappadocia which take u all over the place..including the underground cities...very comprehensive. Costs 40 dollars inc. entrance fees and great lunch by the river.10 out of 10
Also they offer other tours..including Whirling dervishes performing at an ancient khan..at night..great!
Best of luck...if u need further info. contact me....Conrad

Comments