Star Cave Hotel & Pansion

Tags

Hiking and Walking Budget Travel Photography
See Amenities
June.b's Profile Photo

Authentic all-cave rooms, great atmosphere.

by written on September 20, 2011

The night before arrival, I've made a reservation online at Star Cave Hotel for 2 nights, end of August 2011 at Euro14 per person and we are 2 so that's about 28, inclusive of breakfasts. Reasonable, right?

We arrived in Goreme after a tiring 13-hour or so bus trip before noon the following day. The rush during the bayram festival at the main bus terminal in Istanbul is almost unbearable, too chaotic, so many people rushing to jump on the bus to each and every locals destination. It's the time of the year when people go spend their holidays with families.

Arrived at Goreme bus station and I had a little dejavu, I've been there long time ago. I found it easy to find our hotel. It’s located at the end of the main road up a hill overlooking the valleys. Location is really good, quite area but few minute walk to the very center.

We were greeted by Ramazan (the guy at the reception who manages the cave hotel) and a very nice and friendly lady from Estonia. The usual sweet apple tea (elma cay) was offered with a couple bites of the delicious baklava. It was Bayram festival. As usual – like most hotels in Goreme – we received a brief lecture on what to see in the area and the tours on offer. But I’ve learned from Ramazan that some of the places can be covered on foot which I found out to be correct. It was a tiring hike but a great experience that gives a sense of accomplishment.

Ramazan gave us a map and scribbled the path ways on it along with the approximate number of hours to get to those sights which are mostly valleys. I appreciate that he suggested that option to us – which could save seasoned and semi-seasoned travelers who are used on doing it on their own from spending on package tours which costs between TL50 to 70. Other hotels will persuade you to take the tours. Take the green tour with the hotel, it’s reasonably priced and covers itinerary comfortably on an aircon van with other travelers, which cannot be done on foot.

The place is a cave hotel so all the rooms are furnished cave rooms complete with toilet and shower. We got a twin bedroom no. 106 on the floor above the common area via a small stairs and it was a nice room with patio with flower plants overlooking the common area below and the valleys, a view of the balloons during the early hours of the morning. You can even hang your wet clothes there. It’s a lot better than the one we had couple of years back. Clean single beds, big/separate toilet & hot shower, soaps and shampoos provided, clean towels. There was a crack on the ceiling giving the room that authentic cave feeling. The lamp was a yellow bulb but there’s a small window that provide enough lighting during the daytime. There was no TV like in most hotels, you don’t need it in Cappadocia. Comfortable bed, clean sheets, wood parquet flooring with a couple of carpets, an antique chair, wifi connection is excellent though getting disconnected inside the room sometimes.

The common area where the breakfast is served is spacious and surrounded by crawling plants, fruit-bearing trees and flowers, many tables and chairs. There are colorful large pillows that you can throw and laze around, in fact there are enough space in the common area for all the guests with a view of the rock formation and the valley. You can have your hot or cold bev including beer while surfing the net for free. They even provide I think 2 of their laptops for the guests use. You can leave your luggage upon checking out as most buses leaves in the evening.

I didn’t expect much out of Euro28 or something so I was surprised. It was also the first time I’ve seen a room that size with so many electrical outlets that you can use to plug-in your laptop, recharge your cam-batteries, mobiles, etc.. at one time – I think about 4 outlets including the one inside the toilet.

The place was really nice and I commend the work done by the owner of this place. The manager - Ramazan (I don’t really know if he’s the owner or one of the owner?) was nice although I’ve to be honest – and in my observation - he seem to be moody or more precisely his friendliness level fluctuates from arrival to departure ---- nicest on arrival - nice in between – care less in the mid – then pick-up again on being nice during departure. Then again, a lot of hotels in the area have similar pattern as I’ve discovered, others are even worse. He will even take you back to the bus station. Maybe he just lives on his well-pronounced principle that as guests you own the place. So feel free. The other staff at Star Cave – a nice lady and the young kid are helpful and friendly.

The breakfast was good and filling, although they run out of bread the second morning, or it arrived late? An extra plate costs TL5 which I found to be useless because guests can come back for a refill anytime. I would’ve suggested that it should’ve been one-time serving, a second serve would cost extra – so you fill-up your plate one time and a second serving would incur extra charge - which is more realistic.

If I'll ever be back, I'll definitely stay here again. I highly recommend it. I like the facilities -- good and clean, nice common area both outdoor and indoor, excellent staff and location.

Unique Quality: Authentic cave hotel rooms, you'll love the place!

You musn't contract the hotel's tour

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four days and it made a good first impression. The rooms are beautiful and clean and the owner was nice. However, the room wasn't cleaned and towels weren't changed for our for days stay. There isn't any kind of reception nor someone who can deal with unforseen events. We were offered the GREEN TOUR for 70TL and we accepted since we were told that the places we wanted to visit were included in this tour, but in the end it turned out to be false. We were told that we would visit some churches and other places that finally we didn't and that everything was included in that price, but we had to pay for the water and the food. We were also informed that the tickets to enter these places were worth 35 TL but in fact they were only 20 TL (15TL for the troglodyte village and 5TL for the Ihlara Valley). Besides, you can get the same tour at GOREME for 55 or 60 TL at travel agent's.

chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Sleep in a cave

by written on March 8, 2004

This was our room in the Star Cave Pansion.
At night is was rather cold because the thick walls keep the day ehat outside.

Local people are forbidden to sleep in the caves because the stone material should containe something very noxious for the health.

If you only sleep there for a few nights - like most tourists do - it should do you no harm

chrisvandenbroucke's Profile Photo

Sleep in a cave

by written on February 9, 2004

The rooms are built in the rocks. They are darkish but extremeley cool, even during hot summer days; You can use a blanket at night.
There's nothing to plug in your batteries to recharge them
Common shower and clean toilet are a floor up or a floor down.
We paid US 5$ per person
Breakfast is not included

Directions: Follow the dry river bed

Nearby Star Cave Hotel & Pansion

Amenities at Star Cave Hotel & Pansion

• Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Goreme Travel Forum

Need advice about Goreme, Turkey? Visit the Travel Forum for Goreme and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Goreme hotel reviews