Club Urgup

Surreal landscape of CappadociaSurreal landscape of Cappadocia

Travel Tips for Urgup

Mustafa Kemal Ataturk portraits

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

As I could notice during my trip along Turkey the Turks respect their first president Mustafa Kemal Ataturk very much. You may see his photos and portraits almost in every hotel or restaurant without saying in state and municipal buildings.

The most popular portrait is that you can see at my following pic. I’ve taken a photo in the Vera Tassaray Hotel vestibule.

you just feel like the gods of olympos !

by FAIRYCHIMNEY

early in the morning or for the sunset , microlight flight is such an amazing experience ! touching the clouds..yes you get into it !!!- and try sky dive and losing control for a while... well , higly recommended !!!

Walking along the city center

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

While walking along the city centre you will find the Museum (close to the Tourist Office, Kaysery Cad, 37. 8.00-17.30, I didn't visit unfortunately).

You may watch my high resolution photo of Urgup on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 38° 37' 47.54" N 34° 54' 44.31" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Urgup Musiciant Statue,
or on my Google Earth Panoramio Urgup's Hill,
or on my Google Earth Panoramio Urgup's Mosque .

Kaymakli Underground City

by ozalp

My first underground city is this one. We parked our car on an empty area. There were some shops selling souvenirs and a ticket kiosk there. A few local people were at the entrance. I was examining the area but couldn’t imagine what an underground city was like. We luckily found a guide and also entered the city without an entrance fee (first Monday of the month).
Our guide was a wonderful man from the village. He first told us about the purpose and general usage of the cities outside. Then all we entered and I was simply amazed by the complicity of structure. Everything was considered; the ventilation, food, entrances, defense…
I listened every little detail with an open mouth. We were examining the design and realizing that the life under was quite comfortable (I must add that I am only 1.60 meters tall). Whenever we came to an open place, a hall or some strange structure, our guide offered us to take our pictures. He did this too many times with all our cameras, so we had many pictures in this city. He was both informative and helpful.
The main thing you hear about Kaymakli that its air is fresher than Derinkuyu’s air. Because it is under a hill, Derinkuyu is under a plane area. But when you go to Derinkuyu with this information, people tell you that it is a big lie. So, there is a competition between two cities. So, do not talk good about one in the village of other.
Kaymakli has 7-8 levels and it goes 55 m under the soil. It opened in 1965 and its 4 floor can be visited. It is told that only the 20% of this city can be seen. The houses of village surround the city. All houses have a entrance to underground city, so they can use it as storage or shelter.

Cappadocia: Scars Of Mother Earth

by ozalp

"One of the most visited places of Turkey"

Cappadocia Region was a volcanic area. All the valleys and fairy chimneys are formed from the lava and tuff. Mother Nature tried to ease her pain and formed green valleys between the volcanic rocks. And the ancient citizens carved little holes for pigeons to help her. You can hear the songs of the birds in the deep valleys. They are still singing for her.

"Fairy Chimneys"

Tuff is a substance which is easy to carve, so ancient citizens of the area used the rocks as houses. Also they carved shelves, benches and tables in the houses. It is really practical to be able to carve some new holes for new needs. If you buy new books, you can carve some more places. I’d like to have a house like that.
Also nature herself carved many different things from tuff. Fairy chimneys are some of them.

"Beautiful Sunsets"

Thanks to my friends, this was the most exciting and unbelievable vacation I’ve ever had. I kept smiling after one week while I was looking our photographs.
This one is our last evening and last sunset in Cappadocia.

I put all my Cappadocia tips in Urgup page because our base (Elkep Evi) is in Urgup. So, don't miss my other pages like Uchisar, Goreme, Hacibektas... They are some other locations of Nevsehir and all related to this page.

Comments