Eski Turban Oteli ArkasI No: 26, Urgup, Cappadocia, 50400, Turkey

Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Boutique cave hotel in Urgup

The Elkep Evi Hotel is a boutique cave hotel perched high up over Urgup town. There are actually four separate buildings and each room has its own private patio. The rooms are cavernous and the restaurant overlooks a fabulous view.

Unique Quality: Breakfast on the terrace is a unique experience. Turkish breakfast is served in the garden where you can get a commanding view of the surrounding Urgup valley. The breakfast is a typical Turkish breakfast consisting of feta cheese, tomatos, cucumbers, bread, olives and marmalade.

The rooms are cavernous literally with modern facilities including a bathtub. There is however, not TV in the room. Why would you be watching TV when you have such breath-taking views outside?

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Our cave hotel in Urgup

We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Elkep Evi. It is a family-owned cave hotel with about 25 rooms carved into a group of small cliffs overlooking the town of Urgup. The cave rooms were large and very nicely appointed, with full bathrooms and comfortable beds. We especially liked the fact that the rooms had large balconies with comfortable sofas where we could relax at the end of each day. The staff was very friendly, and the owner frequently mingled with the guests at meals. He very nicely gave our 7-year old daughter a doll on the first night that we were there.

Breakfast is included with the room, and is served, weather permitting, at shaded outdoor tables on the flat plateau at the top of the hillside above the hotel. The hotel also offers dinner each night in the same place for an extra charge. We had a good dinner at the hotel on the first night, but then tried some local restaurants on the subsequent nights. The view from the dining area is great, overlooking much of the town and the cliffs behind it.

For a fee, the hotel's guests can use the swimming pool at the larger Club Urgup hotel down the street. However, we were so busy sightseeing that we never made it to the pool.

Directions: Behind the Club Urgup Hotel on the northern edge of Urgup

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Elkep: Part Two

I have to tell you about the wonderful breakfast. There was a lady who cooked pancakes (gozleme) with cheese, potatoes or spinach every morning. We had tree types of olives (two green, one black), two kinds of cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, two different jams, honey, butter and fruits (melon, watermelon, grapes, bananas, plums, apricots…)
    The entire employees were helpful and gentle. I don’t want to forget any of them. Mr. Ali, Miss. Ferda, Mr. Sani… They made our stay quite an experience.
    Haydar Haykir, an experienced guide, is the owner of this lovely hotel. I barely can call this place hotel, because I felt like it was my home during our stay. Mr. Haydar was a nice person to talk. He invited us to a musical night at our first night. He sang folk songs with his friends while the full moon was rising over the mountains. It was an unbelievable night.

The nice thing is cell phones do not function inside to rooms.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

This place has a soul

This is the most beautiful place I ever stayed. It is a boutique hotel with 28 rooms carved into the rocks of Urgup. One of our friends has been here before, when it has only 7 rooms. She’d liked it here too much and arranged the accommodation for us. First night we had to sleep two separate rooms. Because we were four friends and the big rooms like number 102 were not available. So we stayed in room 404, two of us stayed in room 306 which has a Turkish bath. There are other alternatives with Jacuzzi, too.
    Every single room has a personality in this hotel. None of them is similar to another.
    The first room we stayed has a hole in the rock and my bed was in this place. I felt like I was a child again who likes to hide in small places. There are two beds in this room. One of them is double. You can drink wine, raki or juices from mini bar or prepare some hot drinks for yourself. There is a music player and some music discs. I shocked by two Diana Krall albums. The door of our room was between two solid rocks, so our view is limited with these rocks. Second night we moved to our big room, number 102. It has two huge columns in it. Bathrooms were nice and clean. And every room has some carvings around the door.
    The breakfast of the hotel was great. I expected at least one local cheese (especially the one called “comlek peyniri”) but the landscape made me forget about it. Because the terrace which we had our breakfasts was upon Urgup and we could see Mustafapasa and Ortahisar from this place.
    Some big dogs and many small birds joined us during breakfasts. We usually sat under the big almond tree because of the sun. I recommend being there during the blooming time of the tree.

(To be continued)

Unique Quality: Decoration and architecture of the rooms, vista, employees... Anything you get here is unique.

Directions: Near Esbelli, Turasan

More about Elkep Evi Cave Houses

Cappadocia Wines

by ozalp about Turasan

Turasan is one of the local wine producing companies of this region. If you stay at Elkep Evi or Esbelli in Urgup, you’ll see their shop on the way to your hotel. You can taste their products. They have many gift alternatives as well, like magnets, wine accessories, dried fruits…

Our waiters recommended us their red wine “Seneler”. It was delicious, but I didn’t like the ones I tasted in their store. I’ll recommend you Seneler but I’ll give the other wines a chance again. Seneler red 15-50 ytl

Comments