Trabzon Hotels

Our Members Say

• June.b profile photo June.b
  • Reviews: 1339

Hotel Nur: Your best bet in Trabzon

I'm sure to be finding this Hotel Nur upon arrival in Trabzon cuz I've heard good reviews of it already.

When we arrived at Meydan Park, there were also 2 Iranians with in the service bus, they are going on the same way that we are - the McDonalds, we asked at the store near Burger King while the other 2 were asking a guy along the street, they were also looking for their hotel. They asked us what hotel we are looking for and I told them, so I thought they're familiar with the place.

We kept on walking the way that the guy at the store told us, the 2 other guys also walked along our way, we again asked someone after 5 minutes of walking and the man said that our hotel is just at the back of the Belidiye and the mosque along the Cami Sokak. We then left the 2 Iranians to find their hotel down the street.

Hotel Nur was not that hard to find, it's beside the Tourism Info office and yes just right at the back of the Belediye (municipal hall). The man in front of the building immediately greeted us and ushered us in. Our room was on the 4th floor, and they have a small elevator.

The room overlooks on the mosque just below us and the municipal hall, so we could hear the call for prayer. The room although a bit small - and I had a funny feeling like I'm in a cruise ship cabin - is very comfortable, two sturdy clean beds with white sheets, TV, small dresser, aircon, 2 bedside tables.

The man who greeted us upon arrival is so friendly and courteous, as well as the other guy at the reception. When we were looking for a transport or tour operator to take us to Sumela, we found out that the hotel could book you into one, happens to be the same tour operator I've read online and been looking for - Eyce Tours. We paid TL20 per head at the hotel and the van who picked us up arrived at the hotel doorstep at 10:00am.

The double room - for 2 people - costs TL70 inclusive of a small breakfast at the basement.

If available, get a corner room, it has windows on two sides.

I highly recommend Hotel Nur, sincerely friendly staff and clean rooms smackbang right at the center of the city.

...continuing from my story above, the following morning, we found the 2 Iranians also staying at the Hotel Nur!

friendly and polite staff, clean rooms and great location!

• Related to: Historical Travel, Photography, Budget Travel
  • Written September 21, 2010

our bedroom

• Tuna_ank profile photo Tuna_ank
  • Reviews: 699

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Uzungöl-inan alabalik tesisleri: Don't miss this hotel and restaurant

This place very nice for staying and for eating delicious foods, wonderfull trout etc. But you can't find alcohol there! They may help for hiking at plateus too.

• Written June 15, 2008

Uzung��l

• smeagol13 profile photo smeagol13
  • Reviews: 59

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Onur Otel: a "clean" hotel

it may be difficult to find a hotel where there are no prostitutes in Trabzon, so you may have to ask the local people where to stay.

I did, and they showed me the Onur Hotel, which was in fact, not very comfortable.

• Written April 15, 2007

• Castaner profile photo Castaner
  • Reviews: 40

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sankta Maria Katolik Kilisesi: Rest ýn the house of God

Perhaps it's innapropriate to call this a hostel, but if you're just spending a night or two, this is the place to stay in Trabzon. Run by what I believe to be missionaries, this Catholic-run hostel is cheap (you give a donation at the end of your stay), comfortable and quiet. Ýt's close to the main Atatürk Square and food is also nearby, in large quantýtýes. Ý had just been robbed the day before, and stayýng ýn thýs religious hostel is really the best thing Ý could have asked for. Check it out if you're in town.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Religious Travel
  • Written July 14, 2006

• suvanki profile photo suvanki
  • Reviews: 2355

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Erzerum Oteli: Funky 19th century Oteli!

I stayed here in 1993, after reading about it in my Lonely Planet Guide (1990 edition)
that this was a favourite of the researcher, who wrote - "my favourite here is the funky old 19th century Erzerum Oteli. In the little fenced front garden-cum-cafe, old men play tavla and dominoes amidst the honeysuckle. The old fashioned high ceilinged guest rooms are clean, and some even have rooms of the sea" Well I enjoyed my stay here too!

It isn't mentioned in the 2005 guide, so either it doesn't exist anymore, or it's become a brothel - guide books only list Natasha free hotels now!

Well, from my memory- this was a good few years ago, the chap on the door, was quite a character, I have vague memories of a 'garden terrace', but don't recall any locals playing board games.

My room was very basic, but clean, and I didn't have a sea view- Hmm single traveller- into the attic again!!!- the shower rooms/wc were along the corridor.

I can't remember my room, apart from it being very basic, and a few playing cards were placed under my bedside table to balance one of the legs! but I remember the shower rooms were on on a long corridor, with fairly clear glass. So I hung as many clothes as I could across the window, before showering!

I think I was the only female staying here, but I didn't encounter any problems.

The Oteli was quite near Ataturk Alani. Opposite the hotel was the Guven Pastahenesi, which did a good breakfast, and a wide selection of pastries and chocolates etc! (Again this place isn't mentioned in the 2005 guide, although it got rave reviews in 1990 edition)

• Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written May 13, 2006

Hotel Benli

Just opposite the Hotel Nur, the Hotel Benli is still open for business despite the feeling that things haven't changed much for decades as you walk into reception. An old man shuffles over to see what you want, and gets a young boy to show you a room. There is no lift, so climbing up to the sixth floor, I got to see lots of dusty antiques on every landing. a very unusual place, but good enough if all you need is a bed.

A single cost me 15 YTL

My shower was an unusual one. It was en-suite, so much so that there was nothing separating it form the rest of the room! No wall, no door, no curtain....just water gushing straight into the corner of my bedroom. The first attempt at steering the shower head away from my bags ended up soaking the bed sheets, then the head flew off the wall and sprayed the windows. If anyone was watching from the building opposite, I'm sure they had a good laugh watching me charge round the room naked trying to save things from getting drenched...the thought of turning the tap off didn't occur to me for ages :@P

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written September 14, 2005

View from my bedroom

• wellhead profile photo wellhead
  • Reviews: 17
yesilyurt: make a friend

I did not stay but checked what is it. Entrance is a restaurant. At the restaurant after 8 there are ladies coming. Just by chace they are all in black net stockings and mini skirts with deep make up. You only need to inform waiters to be introduced to each other. The rest is up to you to proceed to hotel which is upstairs with 40 lira for two people.

• Related to: Backpacking, Singles, Business Travel
  • Written July 1, 2005

• Wanderboy43 profile photo Wanderboy43
  • Reviews: 169

Otel Eruzurum: Cheap, clean, and central

I asked for a cheap room and it came to 8million, and I asked again and it came down to 7million (5 dollars). The room is on the 3rd floor iwth the bathroom and shower down the hall. I slept great; the room was clean!
Also, I stopped by the Santa Maria hostel today and they don't accept backpackers as of 1 year ago - just pilgrims who want to meditate, etc. Just an FYI

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written December 16, 2004

• MalenaN profile photo MalenaN
  • Reviews: 4899

Hotel Nur

Hotel Nur is a friendly hotel in central Trabzon. The rooms are small but have TV (you can listen to a channel playing music if you don't understand the Turkish spoken on other channels). There is also a clean bathroom with towels and toilet paper.
The hotel is just opposite the tourist information and a mosque. The mosque doesn't make too much noise. It is also very close to the dolmushes to the otogar.
For a single room Ý paid 25 000 000 Lira.

Actually I went to Santa Maria Hostel first because I had read that they had a laundry service. They didn't have any rooms as they just had repaired the roof and the upper floor was closed and a big group of volunteers had arrived the day before.
They were very kind though and let me come back to do my laundry there (3 000 000 lira/machine).
It also looked like a nice place to stay in.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written October 14, 2004

View from my room

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sancta Maria Katolik Kilisesi

On my first two visits to Trabzon, I stayed at the Sancta Maria Katolik Kilisesi (Santa Maria Catholic church) which ran a hostel for travellers, whether Christian (in the case of my friend) or not (in my case!). Now it had everything that a good hostel should offer...clean bathrooms, hot showers, basic shared rooms, laundry, kitchen, backgammon boards, and a good place to sit...and the Romanian hosts were more than welcoming, but on my third visit to Trabzon, I just could not face staying there again! Firstly, the 10pm curfew was annoying...I had got used to sitting in teahouses reading and writing until closing time, and usually hadn't finished eating by 10pm, so for me, it was a bit of a restriction. Coming back a couple of minutes after the curfew meant ringing the bell, and having to suffer disapproving glances from the staff. Secondly, it might sound rude, but other travellers can be the most boring people to talk to! This place seemed to attract the hardened Wiwi ('When I was in...'), and once they start, there is no stopping them endlessly listing places they have been (it is even more annoying when they pronounce them incorrectly!). On a couple of occasions after curfew, the general conversations were so boring that the curfew felt as if it restricted your freedom...I mean, outside the church compound was a lively city waiting to be explored, and here was I, sitting with a group of the worst kind of Wiwis, covered head to toe in beads from Kathmandu, Delhi and Bangkok, listening to them bragging about where they managed to rip off the most locals and complaining about Turkey in every possible way.

I also felt a bit uncomfortable with the fact that it was run by Christians, as i am not in the least bit religious....granted, they didn't force religion down your neck (in fact it was the complete opposite, as some of the guests were Jewish or Muslim), but it just had that atmosphere of being like a convent...I can't put my finger on it, but I felt as if I shouldn't have been there, I don't know why! Undoubtedly, the hostel offered a clean and natasha-free place to stay, and was as cheap or as expensive as you chose to make it (payment was by donations to the church, although some wrongly saw this as a free bed for the night), but returning on my own to Trabzon, I opted to socialise with Turks and have some privacy at the afore-mentioned Hotel Nur.
No set charge, you donate what you think is reasonable...however they are thinking of bringing in a set charge, as many travellers see this as a fre bed for the night (or in the case of one Japanese man, a free month...or so the story goes!).

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Religious Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 26, 2002

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Nur

Hotel Nur lured me in, not because it had lots of prostitutes (it did not...a strictly 'madame yok' establishment!!), but because it offered me the privacy of a single room with private bathroom, hot shower, great view over Ataturk Alani (Meydan) and breakfast, all for 15 Million Lira a night.
It wasn't the cheapest place in town...undoubtably there are some very cheap hotels down by the port area, but these are the domains of the Natashas (Russian prostitutes), and not really recommended for women travellers, or those who want uninterrupted sleep! The Hotel Nur did not allow prostitutes to operate there, and for a city centre hotel, it was extremely cheap.

The rooms were clean, had a TV and a fridge, a private bathroom with constant hot water, and breakfast is included in the price. Oh, and don't bother bringing an alarm clock...even the heaviest sleeper could not fail to wake up with the dawn call to prayer...you can almost touch the loudspeakers on the minaret next door! (see main picture!)

### June 2005 Update...the Hotel Nur has gone upmarket in price while not changing the rooms at all. The same room (with same furniture, same motheaten carpet, same dysfunctional TV) now costs 35 YTL, which is a considerable increase on the 15 it used to cost. When I stayed, it was full of tour groups, and I think people must be willing to pay over the odds for a budget hotel with a no natasha policy, unusual in Trabzon. For real budget beds without whores knocking on your door, head over the road to the Hotel Benli.

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written August 26, 2002

Ataturk Alani from Hotel Nur

• Betul profile photo Betul
  • Reviews: 27

In Uzungol (high plateu with a...

In Uzungol (high plateu with a lake)and in Hidirnebi Plateau, you can easily find very nice accommodations like wooden bungalows.

all wooden, very healthy and natural.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 25, 2002
Tip Photo

• angora profile photo angora
  • Reviews: 6

I am not sure if this place is...

I am not sure if this place is still available.. but it was a wonderful place in FIRTINA Walley (Camlishemsin-Rize)

• Opinion of Price: