Amwaj Rotana Resort

Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 32% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Very disappointing customer service

Hotel itself was OK. Customer service is unfortunately a completely different story. Would not recommend the hotel at all as if something goes wrong, you can forget that anyone will sort it out for you. Me and my husband needed visa to go to Dubai, which you can get through the hotel. Tthe process is a complete nightmare and a joke; you have to be chasing people to do something about your application. They won’t let you to submit your documents earlier than 2-3 weeks prior to travel but then they take ONE WEEK to tell you your credit card has been declined! (When I spoke with the bank they said no one tried to take money from it at all, no rejected transaction and way more money on it than the deposit requested – which is approx £1,000 per person). The deposit should be returned within 4 days after you leave the country, but after chasing it by phone and numerous emails, I found out that they have not even requested from finance team to process the deposit (after 2 weeks after we have gone and emails confirming that the finance team is dealing with it, whereas they have not even sent out the request). When I complaint about this, I have received an absolutely inadequate email back from the GM, not addressing any of my issues at all, just stating that my credit card has been declined, so basically it’s all my fault! I am extremely disappointed as we didn’t pay small money to stay there and were planning to go back next year. Customer service is more like a 2* hotel than anything else. Do not recommend it.

More about Dubai

Sunset behind Burj Al Arab!Sunset behind Burj Al Arab!

Outback - Festival City - DubaiOutback - Festival City - Dubai

Dubai International AirportDubai International Airport

Rustic Pasta at Romano's - DubaiRustic Pasta at Romano's - Dubai

philevans@vtmail.com

by philevans

Hi can someone advise me of the best way to get to port to board a cruise ship metro or taxi and likley cost of both.
Thanks

by Durfun

Hi, The nearest metro station is Jebel Ali, the last stop, taking around 45 minutes from around the Creek (say Khalid bin Al Walled station or Union). One-way cost 6.50 AED (red Nol card). From here you'll need to take a taxi to port, minimum fare is 10 AED.

Taxi from the same area would cost around 70 AED and take 30 minutes, subject to traffic!

by Donna_in_India

The taxis are convenient and inexpensive. Since it's likely you'll have luggage, that's the best way to go.

by Dan30

I agree VT Members

Just jump on the metro.

I can see VT members are doing outstanding Job well done all.

by colin_bramso

I guess you mean the cruise terminal at Port Rashid, not Jebel Ali Port, but we can't tell you how much unless you tell us where you're starting from...

by JessH

I was just thinking the same thing, Colin.
The Cruise Ship Terminal is at Port Rashid... not far from Khaleed Bin Waleed Station but you'd still need to take a short taxi ride.

I guess I should stay away from hthis forum :-(

Half-knowlwdge is worse than none! It's just that I had such a fab break in Dubai in a good season for there, that I'm all pumped up to assist all...

Before coming I researched a fair bit, but not about cruises!

by Dan30

Well I have also made the same mistake too. When I answer question in UAE forum for over the last few years I have been some good comments. Today I have made a mistake all I can say I am sorry VT and VT members.

I do a lot of home-work before I answer a question - and question I don't have answer to I let other VT members answer it.

We all make mistakes, once again I am sorry all.

by colin_bramso

Durfun & Dan, don't worry about it, we know you were doing your best to help. There are often mistakes in info given in answers on the forum but it all gets sorted out in the end :-)

by Durfun

Hey Colin, I read your UAE story.. you first visited in the 1970s!! Wow!!!

by colin_bramso

Yes, we first lived in Dubai from 1977 to 1984 - it was very different then!

by philevans

Thanks for the info everyone sorry for being vague. arrive terminal 3 heading for the cruise terminal.

by colin_bramso

Taxi from the airport has an AED20 ssurcharge flagfall, then it's AED1.70 a kilometre. I gueess it should total about AED40 to 50.

Travel Tips for Dubai

Where to stay in Dubai if you are into Shopping?

by VidER

As for staying in a strategic place, there isn't really one in Dubai.

Shopping areas are scattered around the city. If you are into modern malls you may want to stay somewhere near (Sheikh Zayed Road). If you were into older markets and bazars then you may want to stay in (Deira), close to the creek.

Walking is not always an option in Dubai as it gets close to 50 degrees (Celsius) sometimes! My family!

A sensible approach to Islamic law

by bzh

The UAE are a Muslim country where the Islamic law is the rule. However, its application is much more lenient than in countries such as Saudi Arabia. As long as you respect the local culture and don't do any faux-pas, such as going to town wearing short-sleaved shirts, shorts or a miniskirt, you should be absolutely fine.

The UAE, and Dubai in particular, understand that their success depends heavilly on trade and hence in being welcoming to other countries. Foreigners can live there more or less as they would at home, as long as they respect the local customs and culture. But be aware, if you cross the line, you can very easilly end up in jail with very little recourse, even through your embassy.

Wafi City discount card

by najamrulz

Discount cards are very popular in Dubai and you can save a lot by using them at the right place. One of them is issued by Wafi City. This discount pass is complimentary for tourists who take big bus tour. The big bus tour starts from Wafi Ciy so discount card atracts tourist to shop or dine at Wafi City and get some good discounts.

Pharmacy Hypermarket

by Rinjani about Life Pharmacy

Pharmacy?? Well, it’s not a common shopping destination my dear fellow. But I just want to share one of my favorite Pharmacies in Dubai.

Life Pharmacy is located in Al Wasl Road (Jumeirah area), near to interchange one. The pharmacy claims themselves as hypermarket for medicine and supplements. And it’s quite true. You can find a great variety of food supplements, herbals, to medical supply. The pharmacy opens 24 hours. It has two floors. The first floor, you can find food supplement, mother and child care, beauty products, ayurvedic medicines to optic. They also have special section for diabetic.

The pharmacy has a bunch of friendly staffs and they also offer a great service too. Home delivery, drive thru service, and they even also have flower shop, mini mart and repair center. Cash and credit card

Impressing Airport

by globetrotter06

Have to say Dubai International Airport is quite impressing. It has even got awards for its Arabic architecture.

Was happy with Emirates Airline as well. The flight from Zurich to Dubai was very good, but the plane from Dubai to Perth was a bit older, I think.

Comments