Al Muteena Street, PO Box 21969, Deira, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 56% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Dubai Palm Hotel

by drolkar about Dubai Palm Hotel

Good location, not too far from gold souk (market), friendly staff, buffet meals were included in package rate.

How NOT to get a Russian visa in Abu Dhabi...

by drolkar

The usual procedure for obtaining (or renewing) a multi-entry Russian work visa was to have your employer do the necessary paperwork and submit it to the Russian Foreign Ministry, which would then send a telex to the Russian embassy or consulate of your choice, authorizing them to issue you the visa.

In the summer of 1997, my Russian visa was due to expire, and I decided to pick up the new one in the United Arab Emirates. My new employer (I had just changed jobs) dutifully filled out the forms and informed me a few days later that the telex had been sent to the Russian Embassy in Abu Dhabi. So everything was all set. Supposedly...

Off I flew to Dubai on a Russian charter flight filled with eager shoppers. The package, you see, was one of those "shop tours" for Russians who go the Emirates to buy gold, electronics and other items (at prices that are quite reasonable by Moscow standards!) in order to then resell them (for considerable profit) when they return home.

Apparently, my fellow Americans living in Russia don't share my curiosity insofar as shop tours are concerned, for when I arrived at the Dubai Palm Hotel and went to check in, the desk clerk immediately exclaimed, "Oh, so you're that American who was scheduled to arrive today from Moscow!" My "fame" seemed to have spread amongst the hotel staff prior to my arrival, and the "you're-that-American" theme continued throughout the duration of my stay. Everyone was extremely friendly, and one of the waiters even came over to thank me for U.S. involvement in the Persian Gulf War ! (As if I had had any say in the matter...!)

Bright and early the next morning, I set off for Abu Dhabi in a hired car. The heat was absolutely sweltering, and I was amazed to see men actually working on the highway in spite of the heat. About four hours later we arrived in Abu Dhabi, and after a bit of difficulty we managed to find the Russian Embassy, an unassuming little compound that didn't even really look like an embassy apart from the Russian flag. (Abu Dhabi struck me as being a city that is difficult to navigate for the uninitiated, since many streets don't have much in the way of stores or other landmarks with signs at the ground level.)

The embassy was only open two days a week from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon (I guess they observe all holidays, whether Russian or Islamic!), so I didn't have much time. I entered, passport and photos in hand. The waiting room was small and dimly-lit, with old posters of Soviet Black Sea resorts on the walls. A line of expectant visa-takers stretched across the room. One wall had a single window-like opening with a little wooden door, which would periodically open to reveal the stony visage of the embassy worker on duty. Worried that the embassy would close before I was able to get my visa, I blustered my way to the front of the line until I was at the little window, being stared at contemptuously by a pair of excessively made-up Russian eyes beneath a mop of bleached blonde hair.

I explained about the telex that had been sent the previous week from Moscow for the renewal of my visa, the eyes glared at me, and then a hand appeared (wrist and fingers dripping with Dubai gold). It took my passport, photos and other documentation, a voice said, "Wait", and the little window closed with a definitive thump. I stood alone at the altar of Russian visa issuance, waiting for the oracle to reappear....

A short while later, the window again opened, this time revealing a single eye. "Teleksa net" ["There is no telex"] -- the solemn pronouncement hovered in the air like the kiss of death. A taxi driver awaited me in the parking lot, and a return flight to Moscow loomed on the horizon in a matter of days! "That cannot be!" I said, "There must be some mistake..." The next thing I knew, I was struggling to hold the little window open, while the person on the other side of the wall was struggling just as vehemently to close it.

The commotion finally brought the consul himself out of the recesses of the embassy, and after much pleading I was allowed to enter the inner sanctum and present my case to him directly. The telex had been sent, I said, I had the confirmation number, my employer had checked with the embassy prior to my departure, I came this morning from Dubai by taxi -- and of course, I was willing to pay whatever "fees" (whether official or unofficial) were required...

While I had been speaking with the consul, his secretary had been sorting through various folders and piles of papers in search of my prodigal telex. Just as I was on the brink of despair, lo and behold! the telex was found, having somehow been incorrectly filed. With a feeling of indescribable relief, I humbly left the inner sanctum to return to the waiting room, where visa and passport were handed to me about half an hour later. All's well that ends well, I thought, but maybe I should try a different Russian Embassy for my next visa renewal...

DUBAI - A HOTCHPOTCH OF CULTURES

by Escadora7

JULY & AUGUST 2005 - DUBAI WAS GREAT !

Time to return to the place where it all began...

... the first awkward face-to-face meeting
... the first dance
... the first kiss
... the first friendly competition

Ash: A little secret ...

The first time I was to pick up Eva from the airport, she walked right past me .. Argh!! It was almost like she was running out of the airport. So I backtracked a bit and waited but didn't go up to her just yet!

She got out of the airport, set her airbag down, looked around her all overwhelmed, trying to make sense out of the commotion ....... Till I came into focus.

Then there was that beautiful smile again, the one I knew so well from her photographs, and I recognized her mouthing the word 'Hello'.

The rest as they say is history!

Here is the link to the last Dubai VT meeting pics:

OFFICIAL VT PICS

.........................................................................................................

A Little History:

Archaeological finds suggest that humans have been living in the area of Dubai and its surroundings since 3000 BC - the Bronze Age Magan civilization. Early economy relied on pearl-fishing, small scale agriculture and fishing. This was eventually followed by a boom in copper trade.

Around 1830 the Maktoum family (from a branch of the Bani Yas tribe from the Liwa oasis) took over the area, and has been ruling the emirate to this day.

In the late 1800's, Sheikh Maktoum bin Hasher Al Maktoum granted tax concessions to foreign trade, and thus lured many businesses to switch their base of operations from Iran and Sharjah to Dubai. His desendant, Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, recognized the importance of the Creek and began modernizing and improving the facility, thus attracting even more trade. Thus it was trade - not oil - that became the foundation of Dubai's wealth. (Today 90 % of the GDP are from the non-oil sector.)

In 1966, with the discovery of oil, Dubai had another upswing: The oil revenue allowed development of an economic and social infrastructure.

The Emirates:

In 1968 the British withdrew from the UAE area, and the Sheikhs realized that joining forces would give them a stronger voice.

In 1972 the United Arab Emirates was founded. The country would now be composed of 7 Emirates: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Fujairah, Sharjah, Umm Al Quwain, and Ras Al Khaimah. Of these, Abu Dhabi is the richest due to it's oil reserves (10% of the worlds total), followed by Dubai (trade, manufacturing, toursim). Each of the Emirates retained a certain degree of autonomy, and has input in the election of the leaders of the federation.

"Buildings and Projects in Dubai"

The construction-boom in Dubai is ongoing - so are the events to lure tourists and the public. Following is a PARTIAL list of new and ongoing projects in Dubai:

Projects:
- Burj Al Arab Hotel
- Dubai Palm Island
- The World Project
- Hydropolis Underwater Hotel
- Dubai Festival City
- The Emirates Mall (incl. Snow Dome)
- Dubai Mall
- Dubailand
- Dubai Heritage Vision
- 280 of the leading hotel chains
- Convention Center
- Global Village (DSF)
- Cruise Ship Terminals
- Al Minsaf (luxury creek cruiser)

Events:
- Dubai Summer Surprise (DSS)
- Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF)
- Over 50 international exhibitions per year
- UAE desert challenge

by JimmieP

Can anyone please advise me about the Dubai Palm Hotel and its location? Is it centrally located? Good and clean?

Looking forward to hearing from y'all and thanks in advance!

Jimmie

RE: Dubai Palm Hotel

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1

The following URL can provide you some information:

hotels for around US$ 50 close to the downtown shopping area

by jeevank57

Hi all,
I will be making a one-day stop over in Dubai on the 24th of December.I'd like to know about some cheap but clean hotels close to the downtown shopping area selling electronics, gold and household appliances.My budget is around $ 50 for double occupancy.We hold Indian passports.
I read on the emirates website that of you hold a confirmed onward reservation on Emirates airlines and confirmed booking in a hotel in Dubai,one can get a 72 hour visa at the airport.Is it correct? or we will have a hassle at the airport?
I will appreciate detailed info on these
Thanks
Jeevan

RE: hotels for around US$ 50 close to the downtown shopping area

by pakistanibrain

If you have a confirmed onward ticket on Emirates you should get a 96 hour visa in advance, ie at least 7 days before you start your trip. In that case the visa will be much cheaper.

More info is available at http://www.emirates.com/in/TravellerInformation/before_fly/visas/VisaServices/96hrvisaPre.asp

You can also get a 96 hour visa on arrival, but in that case the visa alone will cost USD 50 and you would have to pay a hotel on top of that. You could however also go for a Dubai Stopover package from Emirates. In that case the 96 hour visa is included in the price.

More info about that is available at http://www.emirates.com/in/Dubai/stay/StopoverinDubai/DubaiStopoverhome.asp

Have a nice stay in Dubai.

RE: RE: hotels for around US$ 50 close to the downtown shopping area

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1

Well your budget of $ 50 may not be enough but still you may check it with the following hotels:

Conrad Hotel