Sheikh Zayed Road, PO Box 75880, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Booking.com Asiatravel.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• oxanna74's Profile Photo

great experience at shangri la hotel dubai

Great Hotel !

I stayed 5 nights in this hotel at the end of september.
    The room ( bathroom too ) are big , clean with good facilities . We received in every morning the newspaper.
    The staff was great give us a lot of attention for everithing that we asked or requested.
    Good and fresh buffet breakfast . The staff form the restaurant checked at every 30 minutes or less if there are enough and fresh products .
    The pool area is very nice with palm trees and comfortable sunbeds .

Best staff I ever meet till now !

I have a pleasant stay at this hotel !

Directions: on zayed road , five minutes walking from financial metro station

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Downtown Utopia!!!

This fantastic getaway is located in the middle of everything on Sheikh Zayed Road! Paradise and tranquility, luxury and hospitality, located right downtown! There are several ethnic restaurants here: French/Vietnamese, Moroccan, and Chinese, plus a Seafood Restaurant, and an International Cafe. There's a reason Shangri-La Hotels are known throughout the world... they're fabulous!

• JessH's Profile Photo

5* Central Location with LOWEST PRICE IN THE CITY!

There are numerous 5-star hotels in Dubai, most of them completely overrated and extortionately priced. The Shangri-La however goes against all odds and is consistently offering amazing room rates throughout the year… it really is a mystery to me but it's true!

Whilst most hotels in this same area (along the Sheikh Zayed Road, near Dubai World Trade Centre) happily charge a minimum of 1,500 Dirhams and even up to 2,800 Dhs per night (and that's during low season!) you can stay at the Shangri-La Hotel in a standard deluxe room starting from only 750 Dirhams per night! (1 US$ = 3.57 UAE Dirhams)

This really is a very low price, especially for Dubai and especially for such a nice hotel. I have booked rooms here for friends and business travellers (I always call them directly), and unless there are major trade-shows / exhibitions at the time I have always been able to get a price of 750 Dirhams per night.

This 200-metre tall, 43-story tower opened in July 2003 and is located exactly opposite the Burj Dubai (tallest tower in the world).

Unique Quality: Most of the rooms are decorated in Feng-Shui style - the ancient art of room decorating with energy flow & nature's elements in mind. This means that there are no sharp corners, no harsh colours, and I find the rooms very relaxing indeed.

Whenever I've been at this hotel, for business or leisure, the staff have all been exceptionally polite and helpful. I especially love the coffee & snacks selection at the Dunes Cafe, located in the gorgeous lobby (see photo).

The various restaurants at the Shangri-La Hotel have a very good reputation, first and foremost the Hoi-An Vietnamese Restaurant. Unfortunately a meal at these restaurants is pretty pricy compared to other 5-star eateries.
    TIP: there are plenty of licensed (alcohol) and unlicensed restaurants and cafes located all along the Sheikh Zayed Road, most of them reachable on foot and suitable for any budget, so you are not "stranded" and forced to eat at the Shangri-La's restaurants.

The location of this hotel makes it perfect for business travellers, but also for relaxing holidays. This is the most central part of town, with easy access to the beaches in Jumeirah, the shopping malls and also the historic centre near Dubai Creek.
    If you are looking for a 5-star hotel that won't leave you bankrupt, then I cannot recommend the Shangri-La Hotel highly enough!
    Why are the rooms so cheap here? Let's not ask, not worry, and just enjoy the fact that maybe something this good really can be true ;-)

Directions: LOCATON MAP: http://www.shangri-la.com/uploadedImages/property/Dubai/sldb.gif

• Wonderful Service in Dubai

Recently had the privilege of staying at the Shangri La Hotel in Dubai. Apart from being a beautiful hotel, the service was outstanding. Nothing was a problem and everyone from the doorman to the waiters and waitresses were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dubai. Location was very central as well.

• Neat001's Profile Photo

Fancy!

After a really long couple of flights and layovers we arrived to have the car pick us up at the airport (they gave us water, spoke English and actually helped with the luggage too). When we arrive at the hotel we were met at the front doors by our personal attendent who promptly took us to our room and checked us in as we took off our shoes to relax.
    The service at this property is top notch!

Unique Quality: Pool area has swim up bar, place to have lunch outside, good bar and a couple other restaurants.
    Everyone is very nice!

More about Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai

Shangritastic

by TripAdvisor Member BigStu

My girlfriend and I just spent 5 nights at the Shangri La and absolutely loved it. Our king sized delux room on the 33rd floor was huge and very comfortable as well as being tastefully furnished.

The king sized bed was massive and very comfy, with loads of pillows, it was turned down every night and slippers and cold water placed by the bed. Fresh fruit was also left in the room every day and clean towels and robes if required.

A few of the restaurents were closed due to Ramadan, but we ate two nights at the Dunes Cafe and had the Iftar buffet. You could eat as much as you wanted for under £20 a head, the food was amazing. Our deal included breakfast, which was enough to keep you going all day. The special juices served in laboratory test tubes were gorgeous and the egg chef does fantastic omlettes!

Make the most of the free transport and entry to the Jebal Ali beach resort 40 minutes up the coast. The shuttle bus is provided by the hotel and leaves three times a day. Jebal Ali has a lovely beach and pool and is a great place to chill and get a tan away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

If you don't want to travel the 30-40 minutes out to Jebel Ali, the hotel has a nice pool, although it can get quite busy, so get there early and stake your claim on a lounger!

Having only paid £555 each, inclusive of flights with Emirates, this trip was a bargain and I have no problem recommending the Shangri La to anyone, it's a real gem of a place, very friendly service, great food and classy rooms.

Undecided on Shangri-La!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Andrew Alexander

I was very excited to recently book and stay at the Shangri-La Hotel in Dubai. My partner and I have stayed at some incredible 5 star hotels around the world but never a Shangri-La. I had high expectations... We stayed for 4 nights in a Horizon Club Room during the dates of 02-06 November 2005. Even though we flew to Dubai First Class with Emirates, I paid the fairly hefty rate of USD$500.00 per night... I think if it is booked in advance rates offered would be less as noted by some other people in their reviews.

We arrived in the early morning with the Emirates Limo and were greeted by a number of people at the entrance of the hotel. No one however escorted us to the reception desk and we had to wonder in and ask someone where do we check in for the Horizon Club, they said take the elevator to the 41st floor, again there was no escort up to the club check in. At 1am and after a long flight a little more guidance would have been good.

Check-in was swift and fast and we were instructed of breakfast the next morning etc.

Our room was on the 41st floor and was impressive. Modern with a lot of storage space, large bathroom with excellent products that are refreshed endlessly during your stay with a deep bath tub and separate shower.

We soon found that internet connection was complimentary and very handy to plug in our laptop with ease.

Bed was very large as I would expect and very comfy. Room had nice touches like you could control curtains and lighting from beside the bed.

Breakfast: Breakfast is taken in the 41st floor lounge for Horizon guests. Breakfast was very nice, fresh and a nice range. However no where near as good as other hotels I have stayed in, however certainly nothing to complain about.

However the second day we had breakfast we walked in to around 9 tables dirty and not cleared. This was out of maybe 15 tables that are in the breakfast room. We took the last clear table and sat down, whilst people coming in after us had to wait and a lot of tables remained stacked up with plates around us. By the third day we were considering eating breakfast down in the main breakfast room with the other hotel guests as we are sure that it had more of a range of food etc. We always had to request eggs or an omlette from the menu and these were never offered to us and often the staff would bring you something and just place it down in front of you and walk off, without a word. This irritated me and is not what I expect in a 5 star executive breakfast room...

Horizon Club Lounge - The lounge is open 24/7, the staffs are very efficient and we asked them to do a number of things from make appointments for us to looking into local information all was handled very efficiently.

Drinks are available all day but only alcoholic beverages and canapés are served from 5-7pm daily. I found this odd as other executive floor lounges I had experienced served canapés and wine all day. The other thing was at 7.10pm I went to get a second glass of wine and some more cheese to find that it had all been cleared away... 7pm sharp and no more!!!!

Gym & Pool - Fantastic Gym facilities on the 4th floor, these are the facilities open to the whole of the hotel. Impressive Gym, new equipment, great separate changing areas for men and women including saunas and steam rooms etc. Very good facilities.

Gym and small pool available on the 42nd floor for Horizon Club guests, nice views but not as equipped and no steam and sauna... so we used level 4 every day.

Main pool is on the fourth floor, very nice that you forget it is on the top of the car park...

Overall - There are a lot of things that I enjoyed at this hotel and a lot of things I was disappointed at. I have been spoiled by staying at such hotels as The Banyan Tree in Bangkok where the service from the entire staff is faultless...

I would not stay in this hotel at the rate of $500 per night, it is not worth it, but I would use the hotel again at a better rate as other reviewers have obtained... I also would forget the Horizon club, the rooms are no better than standard rooms, you get 2 hours a day of canapes which is limited and a small executive breakfast room on the 41st room which in hindsight was not impressive. The gym and pool on the 4th floor is better than the gym for Horizon guests as well....

So quite simply I remain undecided about this hotel...

Very Disappointed - Not a Business Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MikeyBBQ

I am a frequent guest at Shang properties and this one is not up to scratch. It's been open long enough so teething problems are not an excuse.

I had three key issues:

- even though it recently won a Business Traveller Magazine award as "Best New Business Hotel" the agonizingly slow speed of the in-room "high speed" internet is laughable.

- the acclaimed (and expensive) Hoi An restaurant is a huge disappointment. The signature dish (Vietnamese prawns) were over-cooked and lacking in flavour and so was the starter. Some wine list items were not in stock

- the pool area is bland and when I visited the stech of manure permeated the air

There are many luxury hotel options in Dubai but I'd give this one a pass.

loved the shangri la

My wife and I spent Christmas and New Year here,we had an excellent stay ,the staff couldn't do enough for us,we were on the 41st floor with terrific views,when we come back again we will stay here,but we will not be flying by Emirates airlines,when we arrived at Dubai airport to go home(UK)they informed us that they had sold our ticket to someone else,there slogan is very apt,Fly Emirates,they certainly are "Fly"

Fabulous!

by TripAdvisor Member K Tomo

We stayed in the Shangri-la Hotel in October 2005.
Rooms are beautiful. Very modern with an amazing bathroom. Great views from the bedroom window over Dubai.
The pool area was lovely although it was very busy when we were there and so had to wait for vacant sun loungers.
Breakfast from the buffet restaurant was very good serving everything you can imagine from sausage, eggs bacon etc, to cereal, toast, fruits etc.
Didnt eat at the restaurants in the hotel at night, it was Ramadam and some of the restaurants were closed, however they did look very nice. Nice bar area though.
All together we thought the hotel was the nicest we have ever stayed in ( both in Dubai and also the other cities in the world we have visited) and we thoroughly recommend it to other travellers to Dubai!.

Where to stay in Dubai?

by plas19

My wife and I will be staying in Dubai in late March for 3 nights. We are considering The Hilton Jumierah, Hyatt Regency Dubai, Atlantis The Palm, Shangri La Dubai or Le Meridean Dubai.
Can anyone offer advice on these hotels in terms of value, location and service?
Also, we are considering a desert 4WD tour. Are they worthwhile?
Any advice woul be of a great help, thanks!

by plas19

I also should have asked which area is best to stay if only there for 3 days?

by JessH

Good morning from Dubai :-)

Location-wise, I would stay at the Shangri-La Dubai... all the other hotels aren't really "central" (especially the Atlantis and the Hilton Jumeirah), whereas the Shangri-La is in the centre of town, near the Dubai Metro (there is a station nearby) and you are close to the old part of town (Dubai Creek, Museum, Textile/Spice/Gold Souk = Bazar, etc.) as well as the Jumeirah beach isn't far away.

The Desert "Safaris" (as they are called here) are all pretty much the same: you can choose between a full-day, a half-day or just an afternoon/evening tour with buffet dinner/BBQ in the desert. Most have a camel or two for riding, some sand-boards on the nearby dunes, a lady offering Hennah painting for women, a falcon for photo opportunities and a bellydancer (usually from Eastern Europe).

If you've never been to the desert before it's quite a good experience...

by JessH

sorry, forgot to add this:

for more info and recommendations for companies copy & paste this link into your browser:

by colin_bramso

G'day PJ, welcome to VT.

There are three Le Meridien hotels, two on the beach right out of town and the other at the airport. All the hotels you list are five star and are much the same in terms of service, facilities etc. Value for money depends on what deals you can get.

I agree with Jess that the Shangri La is the best location. Dubai is now really in two parts, the original city and New Dubai (where all the huge new developments are) and the Shangri La is in between the two. The original city is by far the most interesting and it's easy to walk around. You can visit New Dubai to have a look at what's going on, the BigBus hop-on hop-off tour probably being the best way.

Great, thanks Jess.

by plas19

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. Looks like the Shangri La is the place for us!

Hi Jess,
The desert safari does look interesting. We will probably go for the afternoon/evening one. Do any of them let the tourist do the driving?

by colin_bramso

I'm not aware of any that allow customers to do the driving. Desert driving is a specialist thing, and there's the insurance and driving licence issue to consider.

by JessH

No, you cannot drive yourself.

Comments