Sun And Sand Hotel

Booking.com Agoda.com Asiatravel.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 52% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Horrificly Terrible

I was in the middle of switching hotels( I am at the moment stuck here in Dubai ) and I came to this hotel out of necessity ( all other hotels were fully booked) and I am checking out today ( I am returning to my previous hotel - they have rooms available now ).
    The room I had to spend the night was extremely disappointing : shabby , dirty and you may not believe it , the moment I came in I wanted to sleep I found out that the beddings are dirty !!!!!!!!!
    there were some sorts of spots. I had to call the housekeeping to change the beddings !!!
    There is also too much noise , the walls are quite thin , I can easily hear the conversations in my adjoining rooms
    The telephone in the room works if you hold each button for at least 2 seconds ( Oh ! so frustrating !!! )
    The bathroom is way out of any kind of standards , the receptionists are careless and not attentive and for example when you say hello they are as if in fight with you , don't look at you and say hi !
    I also had to beg them to come to my room to fix the lamps which were not working! I have not even unpacked , I am ready to check out right now and will check out in 30 minutes.
    My advice : never ever ever even think of going into this hotel .

Unique Quality: * The noise will wake you up several times in the morning , you won't miss the breakfast then!
    * The poor conditions there will make you be more grateful for what you have at home , I mean you would truly appreciate the amenities you have at your home
    * You could grow a good psychologist there , you could here very private conversations and predict the couple reactions and so on
    * You could learn many swear words there because to describe the poor quality you will need to add to your knowledge

More about Dubai

Inside a metro carriageInside a metro carriage

Dubai Burj Al Arab HotelDubai Burj Al Arab Hotel

Dessert section at SaffronDessert section at Saffron

Soy restaurant - DubaiSoy restaurant - Dubai

Any problem getting insuline and needles with me in Dubai airport?!

by Medina_

Hi,it's me again asking for a little help :)
I am going to work for about two years in Dubai,and I am a diabetic,is any problem in the airport of Dubai to take more than one case of my insuline package with me?Because my insurance works only in my country not abroad.
And i need them in my hand luggage for any lost problem and i need also to make my shot in the right time?!
Any advice pls?!

by JessH

As long as you bring any kind of prescribed medication in its ORIGINAL packaging with you, along with the original prescription AND an official letter signed and stamped by your treating physician it won't be a problem.

by JessH

However, I don't think you can bring the needles in your hand luggage due to airline security restrictions.

by colin_bramso

As Jess said, the airline almost certainly won't let you have needles in your carry-on bag. You need to call the airline to clarify what they will do with your needles - maybe the cabin crew will keep them for you in case you need them during the flight.

by 37SingleMaleInDubai1

In addition, there is a very well equiped medical center in Dubai airport!!
Good luck.

by leics

You comment:

>Because my insurance works only in my country not abroad. <

worries me slightly. You should arrange medical insurance for trips abroad anywhere. The cost of treatment for accident or emergency can be financially crippling, and no-one can guarantee they won't need medical treatment when visiting another country.

You need to check what your particular airline says about diabetic needles (it will be on their website somewhere), and also what the procedure is for taking them through security at the airports you will use.

by Dan30

I would advise to firstly to contact the airlines you are traveling with regarding your question.

I also contact the Ministry of Health office I have enclosed you the contact details

Ministry of Health Drug Control Department (DCD)
Customer Service Centre of the DCD
Phone Number 00 971 2 611 7240
Email drugcl.csc@moh.gov.ae

Good Luck

Travel Tips for Dubai

The People

by Greatfun45au

I have travelled a little and found the people very friendly and welcoming. I certainly appreciated the cultural differences but was overwhelmend with their hospitality to my wife and to me.

I also thank all the VT Dubai members for the advice...it was all true it is a wonderful place to visit The Gould souk was awesome and daunting aswell but we both loved it.

Language basics

by bzh

Although Dubai is very westernised and English is spoken by everyone there, remember that the first language of the country is Arabic. It can be useful to learn to decipher numbers and place names if only to avoid having to rely on all street and road signs being translated in English.

Arabic is written right to left, except for numbers that are written left to right. This can be very confusing at first. It gets even more confusing when you know that the digits we use in English are called "Arabic digits" whereas the digits used in the Gulf are called "Hindi digits" and are the ancestors of the former. Nevertheless, they work exactly the same. It is just a matter of replacing each digit by its corresponding one and you will quickly read numbers.

Text is more of a challenge. Not because of the number of the letters as Arabic has 28 of them, each having between 2 and 4 different forms depending on where they are in the word, a bit like uppercase and lowercase with the Latin alphabet. The real problem with Arabic script is the fact that most letters are joined together and it can be difficult to tell them apart, especially considering that the difference between some of them is down to how many dots they have above or below the base line.

I have found that the best way to learn the Arabic digits and alphabet is to try to read international brand names or place names. for example, Coca Cola is simply transliterated to كوكا كولا.

RUMMAGING THROUGH 5GREEN ART GALLERY

by Siddha3th

Eclectic and indie aren't 2 words that exactly spring to mind when you think Dubai. So any steps towards redressing this grevious omission are more than welcome. The 5Green Art Gallery - a funky little outpost of fashion, photography, art and impromptu film screenings/ poetry readings - is one such bright 'n bold little step. Selling everything from Ts, to lomography cameras, to fringe art+decor magazines sourced from around our crazy world, 5Green is parts that sexy girl you run into at the laundromat/ parts your weirdly trippy, geeky older cousin. And loveable, all the same.

The clothes in here aren't really all that hot, and ridiculously overpiced. So give those a miss, and rummage through the beads and other knick-knacks they've got strewn about. There's almost always an exhibition of some sort on in here, with a heavy accent on some local flavour, and the result is a pretty interesting collage-like peephole to Middle Eastern pop art/culture.

Exploring Satwa

by Rinjani about Satwa

Satwa area is one of the favorite shopping spot in Dubai. Unlike the mall, Satwa area enables you to be in touch with local community’s custom. For shopping, Satwa is the most favorite place for ladies who would like to buy textile and garment, garden equipment, birds, pottery, used books and for male, car accessories are easy to be found here. If you fancy to explore Satwa, you better come in the morning, afternoon or in the evening, while usually from 1 PM to 4 PM many shops are close for daily break. Mostly, cash is prefereble.

Emirates Air Travel

by jwilliams2005

I flew from Kuwait City International, Airport to Dubai Internatonal Airport. The Dubai International Airport is closest to downtown Dubai If you fly into Abu Dabi Airport, you wil lbe a considerable distance from downtown Dubai. The price was affordable and the Boeing Airbus was a most comfortable ride, roundtrip. The flight attendants were very professional and the most attentive and beautiful. The meals were great. I am very impressed with Emirates.

Comments