Sanaa Hotels

Our Members Say

• jorgejuansanchez profile photo jorgejuansanchez
  • Reviews: 2291

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

no name: The cheapest in Sanaa

It is for travelers in their way to Arabia. I was the only foreigner. I paid less than 1 Euro, dormitory like. They keep your passport until the morning.
It is located just in the Bab el Yemen, the main entrance to Sanaa, on the second floor. Ask anybody. On the ground floor there is a cafeteria.

Very cheap if you are very short of money

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Architecture, Backpacking
  • Written June 14, 2014

• hongkong88 profile photo hongkong88
  • Reviews: 91

Shahran Hotel: Excellent 3 star hotel

Had a nice romm. Large but the furnature was a bit worn. It was kept clean. The Sri Lankan major domo of the hotel got things done if there were any problems. The food in the restaurant was good and had several internatuionakl styles. The cable TV only had 10-12 channels but had good English entertainment TV including a sitcom channel so I was happy. There was wifi that came and went and free use of PCs in the business center. It is near a lot of good restaurants and the secruity is good and the staff is honest.

Good English cable TV and a nice pool.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Historical Travel, Architecture
  • Written July 7, 2010

• hshifan profile photo hshifan
  • Reviews: 3

Versailles for Hotel Flats: Versailles for Hotel Flats

Its a very nice hotel with modern facilities and free wifi internet and coffee shop. They have apartments with 2 rooms, 1 bathroom, 1 toilet, 1 kitchen (with utensils), 1 sitting room with satellite TV (Free to Air). I guess its 3* or 4* hotel.

I have stayed in the hotel for almost a year and the staffs are very friendly.

Hotel is located just opposite to a major Supermarket.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written October 28, 2009

• hshifan profile photo hshifan
  • Reviews: 3

Versailles for Hotel Flats: Versailles for Hotel Flats

Its a very nice hotel with modern facilities and free wifi internet. They have apartments with 2 rooms, 1 bathroom, 1 toilet, 1 kitchen (with utensils), 1 sitting room with satellite TV (Free to Air). I guess its 3* or 4* hotel.

I have stayed in the hotel for almost a year and the staffs are very friendly.

Hotel is located just opposite to a major Supermarket.

• Written October 28, 2009

• springreen profile photo springreen
  • Reviews: 12

Wadi Hadramaut Hotel: a very plesant stay

I'm so glad we found this hotel but we only stayed for one day before we left Yemen. I wish we could find it earlier.

It's only 5 mins from Sam City Hotel, and 1 min from the National Museum. We got a nice big room on the top floor, with almost 180 view across the Old City. Big windows for circulation so the room is always cool. Nice bathroom, hot shower, toilet paper provided.

Big wardrobe, nice dressing table, coffee table, big tv with hundreds of channels.

and a proper double bed (more like king size)!

YR 4000 per room per night. I'd rate it 4.5/5!

Lovely room, good service, attentative staff, great location

• Related to: Historical Travel
  • Written September 20, 2009

Our room

• springreen profile photo springreen
  • Reviews: 12

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sam City Hotel: Hotel near Old City

We stayed at Sam City Hotel for the first 3 days of our trip. It's on a busy main road with thousands of shops so if you are put in a room in the front, it could be very noisy when you sleep. We stayed in the back as well which is much less noisy but with less impressive view.

The hotel is 5 mins walk from the National Museum and 15 mins walk from Old City. It's about 15 mins drive from Sana'a Airport.

The room is cleaned everyday but the service is less than perfect. We were put in a room but found out everything was very dusty (probably because they didn't close the windows and Sana'a is very dusty). We talked to the management twice but they didn't do anything not even give us another set of cover and sheet to change. In the end, I had to turn the sheet over and used towels as duvet... We left the next day.

One good thing about them is that they are not fussy about unmarried couple staying in one room. However the 'double bed' is done by putting two single beds together.

$20 per room per night sounded a good deal at first. However you could find better and cheaper places easily.

Good views of Sana'a new and old city on top of the building.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Photography
  • Written September 20, 2009

• TheLongTone profile photo TheLongTone
  • Reviews: 330

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Golden Daar: Room with a view

I'd shortlisted hotels from the guide book before arrival at the airport, but the taxi driver claimed not to know my first choice. He had the Golden Daar's card among others lining the top of the windscreen and since the hotel I had down as my first choice was about a hundred metres from it, I asked him to take me there, intending to use it as a drop-off point from which I could freelance. But the elapsed time between the car stopping and my bags being whisked into the lobby was so miniscule that, well, it would have been ungracious not to at least look at the room they wanted to put me in.

After all, it was in a tower house in the Old City, and my reason for having the hotel down my list at four or five was merely that Lonely Planet had said it lacked a public roof terrace.

Up a flight of four square-cut steps to a square landing: to my left another identical flight. Sixteen such flights brought me to the room, with leaden legs and panting for breath.

An explosion of light after the dark of the stairwell: then realisation of the view, througha pair of windows in two of the square room's four white walls: Sana'a in all it's astonishing beauty. The main photo in my Saana page is taken from one of the windows.

Terrace or no terrace, a room couldn't get much better than this. And it had beds! With sheets! What more could you ask? A small table, a chair or two? Present!

Of course I took the room there isn't an en-suite khazi. You would be very pushed to acheive it in a tower house without entirely stuffing the building. A bathroom on each floor, as clean as the last occupant left it.

And the guide book was wrong about the lack of terrace. It was where breakfast was served every morning. And friendly management, most solicitous about one's safety. All in all, probably my best hotel ever

• Written March 1, 2009

• Labiba profile photo Labiba
  • Reviews: 1

Taj Talha: Old Sana'a

Fantastic,!
The people are amazing, though the steps are high - but I am out of shape. luckily we had our own bathroom inside our room otherwise we'd share.

Authentic, over 200 year old building, right in the middle of Old Sana'a

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Study Abroad, Architecture
  • Written February 21, 2009

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Taj Talha Hotel: Popula but unfriendly

I stayed in Room 103 and Rm 301 for 2 nights, for usual US$20 per single use (May 2008) which almost all old Sanna hotel charges. Both rooms have no view, but the noise coming from the hotel restaurant downstair. Toilet is shared outside. Although the hotel is generally clean, the room is small and the hotel owner was super unfriendly, like that I owed him US10,000. I don't recommend that. After 2 nights, I decided to move to Golden Daar hotel, which was much much better for the same US$20. The room I had in Golden Daar has superb old sanaa city view, see separate posting. It had nice room, nice roof top, and friendly service. Both hotels include breakfast.

I don't understand that why this hotel is so full most of the time, may be it is lack of people staying in Golden Daar, which is far better.

Go to Golden Daar hotel which is near by, much better than this one.

Unfriendly service and lack of view from rooms are the unique qualities.

• Written August 10, 2008

Taj Talha Hotel Room 103 with "no" view but noise

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

Golden Daar Hotel: Good hospitality, excellent room view and roof top

I stayed in Room 402 for 2 nights, the best room in the hotel for only usual US$20 per single use (May 2008). Toilet is outside. Since the hotel was quite with nobody staying on the same level, I used on my own. See more pic for hotel view. Breakfast is served on roof top with excellent view as well.

I don't understand that other hotels in old Sanna were full, but not this one. I stayed in Taj Talha for 2 nights before I moved to Gloden Darr for 2 night stay. They all charged US$20 (May 2008). Although the hotel is generally clean, the room is small and the hotel owner was super unfriendly, like that I owed him US10,000. I don't reommend that, taking the view Golden Daar hotel's nice room, nice roof top, and friendly service. See separate posting for Taj Talha hotel pics.

All rooms in Golden Darr Hotel are furnished in a style that is matching the Yemeni traditional and the high modern style, All the rooms have telephone line, some have bathrooms inside.

Al Mafraj is traditionally a room located at the 7th floor, furnished in a Yemeni way. It is prepared to organize meeting, interviews, relaxation and parties.

• Written August 10, 2008

Golden Daar hotel exterior

• SondraWilliams profile photo SondraWilliams
  • Reviews: 8
Old Sanaa Palace Hotel: Cheaper Tourist Hotel

We didn't stay here, but we took a look around and talked with the manager. A very old building, doesn't look like it is used much. Very basic rooms with mattresses on the floor and common baths. Great view from the top floor mufraj. Good for the adventurous types! The manager quoted us a price of $30 for a double, but seemed open to negotiation. Restaurant was closed when we visited in Dec 2007, but we were told it was opening soon.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 12, 2008

• SondraWilliams profile photo SondraWilliams
  • Reviews: 8

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Taj Talha Hotel: Tourist Hotel in Old City

We were unable to get a room at the Arabia Felix, and so decided to stay here. This is definitely still a tourist hotel, but not as heavily trafficked as the Arabia Felix. The manager was not friendly, and actually threatened that we would have to pay for the room if we decided not to stay (the hot water was not working when we first arrived). We stayed in on of the few rooms with a private bathroom, which was basic cement block with a sink, toilet and shower. A double room was 2 twin beds pushed together. Clean and fairly quiet, also warmer than other buildings in the old city. Centrally located for exploring the Old City, basic breakfast included (bread, eggs, coffee/tea). The manager let us use the newly installed dial-up Internet in his office. Small mufraj on the roof with a great view, but 2 of the days we were there it was locked. Good deal overall for what you pay (We paid $25 for a double with private bath, those with common baths are $20, and have better views). we saw 2 families with young children staying there, and they seemed quite happy with the accomodations.

Popular with tourists.
Restaurant on site with good grilled meats, hummus, etc.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 11, 2008

Beautiful Old City Sanaa

• dutchwindmill profile photo dutchwindmill
  • Reviews: 103

Burj Al-Salam: Nicest place in the Old City

Run by an Italian lady, this is a very nicely decorated hotel in the heart of the Old City. The building is about a centurey old, but the rooms are well-appointed with all the modern amenities you'd expect. Most rooms are not very big and contain just a shower and no bathtub.
Much more affordable than it looks (about USD 50 per night for a double.)

The Old City has almost 50 mosques, several of which are in close proximity to the hotel. This constitutes the only drawback to this hotel: be prepared to be woken up bij the muezzin around 4 AM! The name of the hotel means Peaceful Tower - when the muezzin blares out it's not!

• Related to: Road Trip, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Historical Travel
  • Written July 12, 2007

View from the hotel

• lara.kirk profile photo lara.kirk
  • Reviews: 1

Taj Talha Hotel, Old Sana'a: Old Sana'a, best view

Lovely clean hotel. Very friendly. The manager/owner is brilliant, very helpful and will organise anything you need. Rooms vary, some with or without own bathrooms, all clean. I was travelling with friends, but this would be a great place to stay as a single traveller. There is a communal room downstairs and people are always willing to sit and chat. The food is below par, bfast is included (pay the extra 100 rials and get the Yemeni eggs!! - Lemon juice is great), but it's definitely not a place for a satisfying dinner. Is right in the centre of Old City Sana'a, and only a few minutes walk from the Central Souq and Bab al Yemen.

Noted to be the best view of the old city from the Taj Talha rooftop. Is brilliant at any time. A good spot to sit and think, listen to the mosques and take loads of pics!

• Related to: Family Travel, Women's Travel, Singles
  • Written April 10, 2007

• flynboxes profile photo flynboxes
  • Reviews: 587

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Burj Alsalam Hotel: A gem in the Old City

I did not stay here. Did see the rooms which were like any small European hotel.

This place is probably the best place in the old city and the prices are great. In Feb a single with a queen bed was $65 a night or so. It's run by an Italian women that keep the Yemeni staff on their toes. It's spotless inside and if I ever come back with my girlfriend I would probably take her here.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average