30 Kings Point Road, MA 02, Sandys, Bermuda, Caribbean

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Cambridge Beaches

Relaxed and beautiful: Cambridge Beaches Bermuda

by TripAdvisor Member questhoya

My sister and I took a quick (too quick!) Mother's Day weekend trip to Bermuda with our mom, who was attending a meeting at the Cambridge Beaches resort. We arrived late at night on Thursday and easily got a taxi to the resort, about a 45-minute drive. We also found it to be quite scenic by day when we drove back to the airport.

When we got to reception, the concierge knew who we were and told us that they had just sent a plate of food to our room, which was great because we didn't have any food on the plane. When we got there, we found tea sandwiches with smoked salmon and tuna, along with fruit, cookies and assorted drinks. When we got upin the morning we found a beautiful view from the sliding glass doors.

Each day we went down to breakfast and descended on the buffet, which featured fruit, muffins, toast, cereal, an omelet station and hot plates. On Friday, we took the 8:45 ferry to Hamilton to walk around and shop. (By the way, people really do wear Bermuda shorts and knee socks as a matter of course-- it's completely normal there! and even if they don't, there is more khaki than a Banana Republic store.) We shopped at some jewelry stores and boutiques and hit the going-out-of-business sale at Triminghams, which was apparently a mainstay (until now) since 1842. The tourist shops have some great gifts, so we got a couple for friends back home and stopped at a coffee shop for cappucinos.

Whenever the sun was out we ran down to the beach, which was beautiful. The one our room overlooked had its own bar and beach chairs with towels laid out. Since meals were included, we ate four-star food in the restaurant at our leisure and there was tea every day at 4PM complete with scones and clotted cream (which ruined our dinner appetites, but we somehow overcame it). There was a "souffle of the day" every night for dinner. There is a gym and a spa on the property too, if you tend to overextend yourself gastronomically, as I did.

One day we went to the Bermuda Maritime Museum, a ten-minute ride away from Cambridge, and did the DolphinQuest there, where we got to swim and play with their ten dolphins. It was very interactive and so much fun-- I think we convinced three other people to do it after we did. If you do it, I recommend you bring someone with you to take pictures, but if you can't they'll sell them to you on CD.

We had a great stay here, brief as it was. Everyone at Cambridge and everywhere on the island was very friendly, and everywhere you look is a postcard-quality view. There are activities both on the property (putting green, croquet field, outdoor pool, moped rentals, board games) and off (horseback riding, DolphinQuest, boat excursions) that make the time you're there fly by!

A Honey Mooners Delight!

by HPM1984 about Cambridge Beaches

This luxury resort (probably Bermuda's best) has all that Bermudian colonial charm can offer. Isolated and quiet, & expensive (the most expensive on the island) don't expect ANY night life, but beautiful beaches on Mangrove Bay and the Atlantic.

Service and food are excellent. We prefer Oleander , on e of the cottages on the Mangrove Bay side.

Their are at least a dozen small beaches plus the larger one on the Atlantic. Fantastic and beautiful beaches. The pool is extra quiet. The whole place reminds one of a church service. Very quite.

Be aware that Somerset village is sleepy and deserted. We loved out stay during our honey moon in the early 80s, recently returned for four days, & that is about the right amount of time!

Beyond Words

by TripAdvisor Member BermudaObsessed

Ok, for starters I am a picky person....Everything at Cambridge Beaches was amazing...The food was beyond excellent every day...You will be treated like royalty here..I disagree with the other reviews that say the resort caters to the people who are regulars...This was my honeymoon and first experience there, and we were treated like royalty...If your looking for a dressy, glitzy hotel with crystal chandeliers, then this is not for you...Though the rooms are indeed very elegant cottage rooms with antiques...They are very clean, and decorated very nice....The privacy here is amazing.....I can't put Cambridge Beaches into words, the combination of everything there made me feel as if I were in my own personal heaven....I called it "My Neverland"....I have never experienced such peace and relaxation as I experienced on this trip....There are also many things to do, despite what another review said....A definite must is your own private beach dinner that you should book in advance...I would never go to any other hotel on the island, the feel and views are not the same as you get with Cambridge Beaches...My husband also loved it...and agrees....Trust me, I am a hard person to please...THIS PLACE WAS AMAZING!

OUR BEST EXPERIENCE EVER

by TripAdvisor Member TopDMC

Just prior to our departure for Cambridge Beaches in Bermuda we read on trip advisor the statement “Disgusting and Disgusted” and we nearly cancelled our booking – JUST GOOD WE DID NOT”

My wife and I are from the south of England and we have been travelling extensively over the years throughout the Caribbean and Africa.

Our journey to Bermuda on BA was very comfortable and almost too quick, we enjoyed every single minute of our flight.

Upon arrival we could have not hoped for a warmer welcome to this charming Island and resort. The receptionist, duty manager, porter and in particular our driver from Sandy’s Taxi’s greeted us with the highest respect and our first impression could not have been better.

We booked a deluxe room at Cambridge Beaches; the views were stunning and interior exactly to our liking. There was nothing we did not like, true quality, bedding, bathroom, interior design and most importantly all was well maintained.

On the first morning at the resort, we arranged to have breakfast on our terrace, the room service was precisely on time and all items that we ordered the night before well prepared and presented – what a wonderful start to this holiday!

Cambridge Beaches is on a very well maintained peninsular all areas of which are very well manicured; we in particular enjoyed Turtle Cove Beach and Long Bay Beach.

Throughout our 7 night stay we only ever went out once of dinner and this meal at Dockyards was very good, however our dining experiences within Cambridge Beaches were exceptionally good, service, ambiance and the quality of food. We not once could have had reason for complaint.

We would like to in particular thank Nadja, the Guest Relations Manager for arranging the most memorable excursions, diving and in particular golf at Port Royal was a true pleasure for us.

My wife and I are Spa fanatics and must say the Spa personnel truly “pampered” us. The water sports arrangement that Cambridge Beaches offers are good, we enjoyed most the little motorboats and explored “The Sound” and also for a trip to Hamilton.

The Managers Cocktail Party was also well received, the international mix of guests did add to the overall ambiance.

One week was simply too short, but we will be back, thank you to the Cambridge Beaches team for providing us with such enjoyable holiday.

Best Honeymoon spot

I am a travel agent myself so you could imagine how much thought and energy I put into my own honeymoon. After much thought, my Fiance and I finally decided to go to Bermuda. Niether of us had ever been, so we thought we would brave hurricane season and go. I did more research than one should do on the Cambridge Beaches Hotel and read a few bad reviews. Well they couldn't have been more wrong. Cambridge beaches was the nicest resort we have ever stayed at. Everyone that we encountered at the resort was more than friendly and willing to assist us in any way. We had booked the suite so we had a seperate bedroom and living room. I realized the first night that we had no T.V. in the bedroom
(which i keep on while I sleep) I called the front desk and within 2 Hours we had a t.v. with cable and all. The grounds at the Cambridge were absolutly breath taking. Everything was well manicured. There was 5 different beaches so there was never a crowd. The food at Canmbridge unbelievable. I would recommend this hotel to all of my clients and i can't wait to return next year to celebrate our anniversary.

Bliss in Bermuda

I just find it amazing to read all the many different experiences people have of Cambridge Beaches. To me it is what I would describe as understated class. It has a luxuriousness in the physical beauty of the place. The room we stayed in and the main rooms of the resort are impeccably decorated.
The white sand beach below our room was utter heaven. We had a wonderful breakfast brought to our room every morning and we sipped coffee while looking out at the turcoise water.
The staff are unfailingly polite and helpful. I'm going back there this week and really wouldn't want anywhere else.

very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member Kevbo222

This was the third trip to Bermuda for my wife and I, and our first stay at Cambridge Beaches. The piece of property that it sits on is absolutely spectacular. The view off our balcony was incredible. I can't imagine a place at the resort with a bad view. I had heard a lot about Cambridge before we got here. I have stayed at a few 5-star resorts before and I expected a lot. I would say that the service levels of the staff need to be raised a bit for it to truly be a 5-star in my mind. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, but not quite pristine. The property is beginning to show it's age in places. The beaches were not as nice as many on the island, but still OK. They only have about a dozen umbrellas on the beach, so if you don't get your towels out under one by 8am, you are out of luck. There is no service on the beach or pool. If you want something, you have to go get it. This is the kind of little thing that bugs me if you are staying at a true 5-star resort. I contacted the concierge 2 weeks before we got there about my desire to go on a fishing trip. He had no luck helping me book one. I got there, saw an ad in a store, and had one booked in one phone call. I asked several times about the trip, and he said he wasn't having any luck. I had a great fishing experience, so it wasn't like I booked my trip with a nobody. The food and the service in the restaurant was outstanding. The wine list was great, the staff was wonderful, and the food was fabulous. I have only great things to say about the food and food service.

All in all, I found Cambridge to be a very nice resort. I would definetly stay there again, but I'm not sure that if you are looking for a true 5-star resort that this is the place for you.

Honeymoon Horror at first, then acceptable

I do have to say it was a horrible experience at first when we arrived at Cambridge beaches. It was our honeymoon and we had booked a deluxe oceanview room which was not cheap at all (avg 675 night) - when we arrived the front desk people were not receptive at all they basically just gave us our key to the room and were sent with the bellman to our room - we were given the "docks" room. When we got to the room and looked at our view it was not ocean it was the bay side next to the public marina with kids running all over and fishing. We complained right away and they could not do anything for us and said they were overbooked and they said they would move us the next day. Well low and behold our first night in the room someone knocks on our door at midnight and said it was security who was looking for a certain guest--I was livid at this point then the next morning I marched right into the managers office and demanded to be moved or I was going to another hotel- they did manage to put us in a oceanview room called (long bay) and it was very nice and they did give us a fruit basket and wine to apologize for our trouble. I must agree with the other reviewers here - it seems like if you have not been there before they treat you very average for a "5 star" hotel, which I must say is not. The service is average - we got better service at the other hotels where we ate dinner. Do yourself a favor eat elsewhere for dinner besides the hotel - you will not regret it. The cambridge was very stuffy. Breakfast was very good and the spa was very nice. Overall for being honeymooners they did not care at the cambridge if it was your honeymoon - if it was your 25th or 50th anniversary they would cater to the older folks better.

Disgusting and Disgusted

by TripAdvisor Member MichaelLondon_UK

We went to Cambridge Beaches for our marriage and honeymoon. We were greeted by a surly receptionist with ‘attitude’ who did not even offer us a welcoming drink even though she knew we had been travelling all day from London. She simply despatched us immediately to our room.

On arrival at our room we were greeted by an appalling musty odour. The room was shabby beyond belief and both it and the bathroom were clearly desperately in need of refurbishment. The bathtub was so grubby as to be, to our minds, quite unusable. And this was supposed to be a Deluxe room!

We refused to accept the room and were shown another, more modern, room which certainly seemed, initially at least, to be more pleasant. However it was available for only one night, after which we would have to move to a room similar to the one we were initially shown and which we had rejected. Then we discovered problems with the second room, e.g. the loo did not flush properly and leaked, brown water came from the taps so that we could not even have a bath, and there was a loud generator immediately outside the loo window the noise from which made it difficult for us to sleep.

Dinner was dreadful. Fellow guests were certainly not dressed as we had led to expect (‘smart casual’ was decidedly ‘unsmart casual’), the food was mediocre, and the cappuccinos undrinkable.

All in all, certainly not a five star hotel as far as we were concerned – more like three stars. And the management seemingly couldn't have cared less.

We checked out within 12 hours and went to Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos - another name for Paradise.

Relaxing Get-Away

by TripAdvisor Member perlovermom

My husband and I just got back from celebrating our 18th anniversary and choose Cambridge Beaches for this, our third visit to Bermuda because my parents had honeymooned there 53 years ago, AND our teenaged kids were not with us. We managed to dodge the passing "tropical storm" and were rewarded with 5 glorious days of sun (and humidity) which we mostly spent--as we had intented to do--relaxing on the beach. There are several beaches at CB and although narrow, I was so pleased with their main one at Long Beach. There are lots of lounges, tiki or canvas umbrellas (already set up) as well as very comfy foamy floats for the tranquil bay--which many of us took full advantage of. There is a lovely newer beach-side open air restaurant for lunch (and dinners on set days--plan ahead and don't pass up) and there was always someone trolling the beach to provide drinks, towels, rafts or anything else you may need. There is an outdoor "shower" and bathrooms, but no indoor shower facilities at the beaches, but aren't really needed.

The outdoor pool is very weak and we never even used it, but hear it is "next to be updated." There is a smaller but nice indoor pool and the wonderful spa, but we never made use of either of these facilities either. The gym was small but nice and, unlike the main dining room, was airconditioned.

The food was amazing--breakfast was a buffet with a nice assortment and a chef to prepare "custom omlettes." We ate lunch at both the dining room and Breezes by the beach--both were excellent--especially the crab-claw salad at Breezes. Service was good and curtious, but a bit slow and hard to get drink refills. Open-air bar area was lovely at night, but inside bar very small, but there was lots of seating inside too. (Again, not very airconditioned which was curious to me in the heat and very high humidity of the summer.)

Biggest complaint: For an unexplained reason, the main/only dining room was barely/not at all airconditioned. Large doors opened onto the terrace, but the dress code was more casual there than the "reservations required" formal dining room. Why they didn't close off the terrace doors to at least aircondition the dining room at night was a mystery--and a disapointment. Men, forget your jackets and ladies--bring breezy sundresses.

Our room was fine and nicely located near Long Beach. Maid service a bit weak despite my notes, calls to housekeeping and the front desk. Bring your own hairdryer--theirs are weak and switch needs to be held while using. Irons were poor too. Our bed was great and very comfy and the patio had furniture and lovely sunset views.

We were surprised by the number of children/families, but still had a wonderful relaxing "adult" time during our stay. The ferry trip to Hamilton 3 days a week was great--and we choose to ferry back via the Dockyards and taxi to CB following shopping, touring and lunch. (See the dolphins too.)

We have now stayed west, south and east at Bermuda, and checked out lots of places in between and would highly reccomend CB--for couples or singles.

Off Season and The Reefs or Cambridge Beaches

by maddiegirl

Hi...We've been to Bermuda twice, but it's been over 5 years since our last visit. We are planning to return in April 2006 and I have 2 questions:

1. Will most facilities and tourist attractions, shops, restaurants, etc. be open in early to mid April?

2. Which hotel? We love the pics of The Reefs and have read many great reviews on The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches. We're in our 40's, like quiet and serene with gorgeous views and many amenities and great accommodations. We would appreciate any and all comments/opinions. Thanking you in advance!

Comments