101 South Shore Rd, Southampton, SN02, Caribbean

Expedia.com amextravel.com Travelocity

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• WStat's Profile Photo

Not only for Golfers !

The Southampton Princess is located at the highest point on the island; it offers therefore wonderful panoramic views of the South Shore, ocean, the hotels tropical gardens and golf course.
    The rooms of rather different sizes have views either of the Great Sound, the South ore or the golf course.Especially at the higher floors the views are really stunning !
    Facilities include a private beach club with bar and restaurant, indoor heated pool , tennis courts and pro shop, health club and a shopping arcade with a beauty salon. All guest rooms are air-conditioned. There is a choice of nine restaurants - six at the Southampton Princess and three at the sister resort, the Hamilton Princess,(at dinner no entry without tie !), several bars and lounges with nightly entertainment, and an 18-hole golf course. Scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing and other water sports can be arranged.Great Spa-facilities at luxury prices also available.

Unique Quality: A very large hotel, positioned at the best vantage point of the island. Restaurants and bars rather expensive, staff could be somewhat friendlier.

Directions: there is a hotel-ferry available from the airport (reservation needed)

More about The Fairmont Southampton

On the Harbor in Hamilton

by grandmaR about The Fairmont Hamilton Princess

My mom's travel agent (a very conservative gent) booked us into this hotel. We had the MAP which included breakfast and dinner.

Currently a similar package Includes:

One night room accommodation
Full breakfast
Dinner at any of the restaurants at either The Fairmont Hamilton Princess or our sister hotel The Fairmont Southampton
Tax, gratuities and resort levy relating to this package.

Rates:

Package starts from $389 USD until December 15, 2003
Package starts from $359 USD per room, per night based on double occupancy from December 16, 2003 to April 0l, 2004

(Bermuda is not a budget location)

We had a room on the 6th (top) floor looking out onto the harbor.

You could also take a ferry over to the Southampton Princess for a small fee. We did not do that.

The Beach Club
The Beach Club is situated on one of Bermuda's finest beaches, a secluded pink sand cove not far from The Fairmont Southampton. Guests of the Fairmont Hamilton Princess can take a ferry over and use this beach. Also available to guests are:
Chaise lounges
Towels
Umbrellas
Lockers
Showers

Tennis
Guests staying at The Fairmont Hamilton Princess may use the The Fairmont Southampton facilities, which include:
Eleven tennis courts, three are lit for night play
Five courts are atop Turtle Hill, just east of the hotel (open during high season only).
Six courts are located at the Beach Club

Jet Skis
Jet skis are available at the Waterlot Dock at our sister property, The Fairmont Southampton. Please contact the concierge for further details or telephone (441) 737-0570. There is a fully equipped Fitness Center (I looked in), two outdoor swimming pools (one salt water and one heated - I swam in the heated one). The hotel offers fax services, color photocopying and Internet access.

There was also a concierge service that would book excursions and make dinner reservations. We didn't use this much - they were unable to get me a snorkeling trip because of the weather, and the horsedrawn carriages were not available because it was so late in the season. They could also arrange scuba trips.

Sailing
A variety of charter boats and cruises are available from the Fairmont Hamilton Princess dock (on request).

Allegro Charters (441) 295-4074
Exclusive Cruises (441) 234-8042
MV Bermuda Longtail (441) 292-0282
Fantasea Cruises (441) 236-6339

A great deal near the best beaches

by kuchunga about THE FAIRMONT SOUTHAMPTON

I found this on Expedia vacation deal. You can find a pretty good deal with this hotel combined with an air ticket. The hotel is very nice and clean on a great location. It has a private beach, nice size and very beautiful that next to Horse shore beach which probably the best beach on the island. You can enjoy both of these excellent beaches like at the private beach it would be great to relax and read books and soak some sun and at horse shore beach you can enjoy more swimming and sports. A good choice for a Bermuda trip.

Really enjoyed the Fairmont Southampton

Recently stayed at the FS for several nights. My husabnd and I really enjoyed it. Friends of ours had been to bermuda several times and stayed at the FS, and highly recommended it. We usually stay at 5 star resorts when we travel, but our friends warned us that there really isn't any Four Seasaons type of place in bermuda. They recommended the FS , but told us: it won't be like a Four seasons, it will be very expensive, there is a trolley to the beach, etc. So, our expectations were realistic. As to the comments from others below, yes, they charge you for a resort gratuity fee, but if you read the hotel notebook they leave in your room, you will see that as one of the listed things. perhaps I am odd, but I always look at that notebook whichever hotel I am at, so i can see all the services a hotel has to offer. Frankly, it was nice not having to fish for dollar bills all the time. We also researched this trip before booking it -- we knew from tripadvisor and fodors that the lesser category rooms had no views and might even get hot from restaurant exhaust. If that was the only type of room available to us, we wouldn't have booked it. And yes, bermuda is expensive, but you knwo that going in. The best thing about the FS I thought was the service- top notch all the way. We would definitely stay there again.

The Grand Dame of Hamilton

by pchamlis about The Fairmont Princess Hotel - Hamilton

OK two things..

First, I didn't stay at the Princess. I passed it everyday, and I know people who are familiar with the property. I know it's a good luxury choice near Hamilton

Second, it's really not the Grand Dame of HAMILTON. Technically, there ARE no hotels or guesthouses inside Hamilton. The Princess is in Pembroke Parish, on Pitts Bay Road. Pitts Bay is what Front Street, Hamilton, turns into at the city limit sign. The Princess is technically about 200 meters away from the city of Hamilton. But, we're talking small distances. You can literally SEE the center of Hamilton from the Princess. The Princess is everything you'd expect a historic luxury property to be. It's been in this location for about 45 years... my parents tell me that a hotel called "The Bermudiana" used to be here, it burned down in the late 1950s. And even though it's four decades old, it's undergone numerous renovations, and is absolutely up-to-date in comfort and service.

If you want to stay in a large, luxury hotel in Hamilton...ok near Hamilton...The Fairmont Princess would be a time-tested good choice.

The Princess has a sister hotel over on the south shore of Bermuda, the Fairmont Southampton. Since the Princess (being on the harbor) has no beach, guests AT the Princess are entitled to free shuttle service over to the Southampton and its "private beach". Private beach is somewhat of a misnomer in Bermuda, as techically, nobody can own "the Queen's Bottom". But, hotels claiming certain beaches CAN own the beach chairs, lifeguards and such.

Just What the Doctor Ordered-- Super!

by TripAdvisor Member LadyBugDi

My husband and I just returned from our trip to the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda and we were extremely impressed! This is the hotel to stay at to be pampered, pampered, pampered! And we certainly were! There is nothing that they won't do for you. We had our breakfast delivered to our room every morning. Staff was courteous, always, and very helpful. Grounds and public spaces were beautifully maintained and immaculate. They will make you a picnic basket to take to the beach if you like or a private romantic dinner. Our room which overlooked the pool and ocean had a spectacular view. I wasn't sure if the ocean view would be as good as it was since the hotel is set back from the beach a bit, but we were so surprised and delighted by how much beach you can see from your terrace. The trollys were great. The beach was just a hop skip and a jump down the hill. It is such a big property, so having the trollys was such a good thing. Also, the hotel offers a complimentary boat shuttle over to Hamilton. The Waterlot and the Whalers Inn restaurants were superb! You must try the Crabcakes! I have read several bad reviews about this resort and I was frankly shocked! These must have been very cranky people to begin with to write such reviews, because other than things being expensive (which we went in full knowing), this resort was outstanding in every possible way! We will certainly be back!

hugely fun, but do a little research

My boyfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at the Fairmont Southampton at the end of August, 2004. Having looked at other Tripadvisor reviews, we were a little worried, but hey, we got a good deal on Expedia (about $250/night), and were in the middle of moving and needed to stay somewhere, so this looked like a fun vacation spot.
We'd gone to the Fairmont website before we left, and gotten a President's club membership number, which we made sure to give to the hotel before arriving. I feel this made things a little easier.

Also important to us was to buy a Bermuda guidebook and find out a little about the country before visiting, and we found out that a little formality and manners will make your experience more pleasurable. This proved to be the case.

We couldn't have been happier with the resort. When I arrived early to check in, I found we had been given two double beds. I politely
asked for one bed, and the check-in person looked all over the available rooms to find me one. She was helpful, courteous, and really went out of her way to make me happy. My only complaint about the room was that the bathroom had a slight mildew smell, but other than that, the room was spacious, well-maintained, and exactly what I expected. The grounds were meticulously maintained, the shuttle service to the beach was regularly timed, and quite pleasant (although it was a mere 10 minute walk if you're so inclined), and the beach itself was nice, if a little rocky, with a good bar and friendly bar staff. Also, as my taxi driver pointed out, if you walk 100 feet to the left of the hotel beach, one of the nicest beaches in Bermuda, Horseshoe Bay, awaits. We noticed that the weekends were much more crowded than the weekdays.

We had few complaints about the hotel restaurants, although we only ate at three of them. We had a great time at Jasmine's afternoon tea, which is worth experiencing, albeit a little pricey. We skipped the Waterlot and the Newport Room because of their lack of vegetarian options, and went to Aqua instead, which was quite nice. The Italian place at the hotel is okay, but not great, and the breakfast buffet is fine, but overpriced. In all cases, the service was outstanding, especially at Jasmine.

If you're going to the Fairmont and want to avoid noisy kids, I can't recommend getting a spa membership highly enough. For $25 a day, or $65 for your entire stay, you get access to fitness equipment, a private locker room with robes, sauna, steam room (which was dangerously hot), really nice indoor pool, two outdoor hot tubs, and an outdoor terrace in the sun, all of which are blissfully kid-free until 6:30 p.m. At the outdoor terrace, you can order food, which is convenient.

I've read other reviews of people screaming at the concierge. I can't begin to imagine that situation. Although we didn't find the concierges especially knowledgable, they were certainly helpful and friendly, and remembered us. The desk clerks were helpful and friendly, and everyone who worked at the hotel went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. I'd go back there in a second.

Heaven on Earth....

My boyfriend & I just returned from a 4-night stay @ the Southampton Princess. Words could not describe our stay in Bermuda - a fairytale that came true. Here are a few tips if you are able & willing to have the time of your life!

*HOTEL... extremely beautiful, but not on the beach. The beach is only a 5 minute ride away & a convenient shuttle runs every 10-25 minutes...but understand it's not on the beach. We chose an upgrade to the GOLD floor - an extra $100 per night. Well worth the money... we went from a room with 2 double beds & no view to a King with the most beautiful ocean & sunset view - This was room 672. The GOLD package included a wonderful breakfast buffet, unlimited bottle water/soft drinks & evening buffet of cheese, appetizers etc.

*BEACH - very beautiful & there is an easy passage near the shuttle stop to an even prettier beach - Horseshoe Bay. *Snorkeling is amazing right off the hotel beach (swim to the right towards the old dolphin pools) and just up the road at Church Bay. No need to go any further.... (Scuba from the hotel/site = Mary Celeste? near Sonesta was just OK). P.S. our secret (private) cove was in the snorkeling vicinity.... if you are REALLY LUCKY you just may find it :-)

*DINING - Aqua (@ Ariel Sands) Asia Fusion cuisine - Wonderful food/wonderful evening. Make sure you request a table closest to the ocean. Coconuts (@ The Reef's) Wonder dinner...inclusive 4-courses $65 pp. You can dine on the beach for $90 pp. Extremely romantic, beautiful atmosphere. Salt Rock Grille in Sonesta - more of a local place. You can dine outside/water view... nice night. Great live music. Henry VIII - great lunch/food & great Sunday night music. We tried the Bermuda Chowder everywhere - including Hog Penny in Hamilton. Every place was a little different - Loved it!

*Back to the HOTEL.... really, really fancy - but you won't be disappointed. Try the hot tubs near the indoor pool/spa, dancing in the wine cellar, walk on the newlywed path and watch the sun rise from the bench on the top of the hill. This hotel is close to the most beautiful beaches on the island, near great dining and has everything you could possibly need or want. If your stay is only 1/2 as good as ours was, you won't be disappointed!

Not worth it!

Extremely dissappointed with the FSP.
It's not worth the money.
We booked very last minute and only thing available was a " Garden View."
That's fine but it was actually a " Roof" view.
There is NO garden! Why they put rooms were there are roofs I don't know! Why can't these resort hotels be honest? For $440.00 a night,. I would expect a little better.

Room service is a rip-off. They charge a delivery charge, per person PLUS Gratuity.

Your room is billed for resort fee, taxes and Gratuity. So when you are booking the room, add about another 22% to the bill. Oh, by the way, the gratuity is supposedly for housekeeping, bellhops, etc. They don't tell you that when you check in.

Regarding the pool, get down early to claim a spot, it's full by 9am.
Be patient when using the phone for service, it's answered after about 10 rings!

In closing, Bermuda is one giant rip off and they they know it. One doesn't mind paying as long as one offers value!

The place to stay is the Reefs. However, we first tried there but were told it was 5 night minimum. Don't believe them as our friends booked for two nights!

Avoid

Room amenities a slight notch above a Holiday Inn. Bus ride required to get to the beach. After a longer than desirable wait the bus was crowded, hot and just unpleasant. When we got to the beach we were told there were no more chairs. Don't expect service, you will be disappointed. Walls separating the rooms are so thin that you hear the people next door as if they are lying next to you. We had planned an eight-night stay. We checked out after one night and moved to another hotel. The hotel manager was gracious when he heard that we were aborting out stay.

Public beach next door to Fairmont SouthhamptonPublic beach next door to Fairmont Southhampton

Southampton Princess BeachSouthampton Princess Beach

Best place to rent a self drive boat in Bermuda

by bluebird1n2

We are staying at the Fairmont Southampton next week. We would like to rent a self drive boat for the day. Any recommendations on where to rent from and also what/where to go on the boat?
Thanks!!

Re: Best place to rent a self drive boat in Bermuda

by 2greyhounds

Hi, there is a company located at the Somerset Bridge that rents out boats for half or full days, they are boston whalers and they are a lot of fun, they also give you a map of the area that you can traverse, due to the large number of reefs. (I forget the name of the company, but go to Bermuda.com and search under watersports - additionally there is Blue Water Divers at the same location, however, we much prefer the Dive shop located at the Southampton Princess - better choice of dive spots and the most excellent service!! Enjoy your time in Bermuda, it is one of our most favorite spots!!!

Comments