4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about The Reefs

Loved the Reefs

We had seven lovely days at the Reefs, we never left the beach until the last day. What a way to chill out from the hustle of back home. The food was outstanding and the waitstaff was great. It was so nice to see some of the original staff still there after a fifteen year lapse. We have already booked for next year.

The South Shore has many...

by AndreasK

The South Shore has many beautiful beaches: Jobson's Cove is a beautiful little enclosed cove on in Warwick Parish; Warwick Long Bay is just to the East and Stonehole and Horseshoe Bay are to the West. Bermuda owns the world's northernmost coral reefs. Needless to say that I spent most of my time in the water swimming and snorkling.

St Peter's Church

by easterntrekker

Located in St George's, St Peter’s Church is believed to be the oldest continually used Anglican church in the Western hemisphere. The originally built in 1612 from Bermuda cedar , just three years after a British vessel, bound for Jamestown, Virginia, washed onto Bermuda’s reefs during a storm. The crew and passengers, became the first inhabitants of Bermuda.

Close to the back entrance of the church you can also find a 500-year old cedar tree; its branches once bore the church’s bell.

Reefs and Lighthouses

by grandmaR

We saw the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse many times, but did not get out to St. Davids or see the other Bermuda lighthouse on either of our first two visits to Bermuda. It wasn't until we arrived by cruise ship in 2004 and went into the harbor at St. George that we saw the St. David's light for the first time. Then on our 2007 visit, we took the bus out to St. David's and saw the lighthouse from the bus (photo 5) The lighthouse is at the end of Texas Road on Lighthouse Road at Mount Hill.

Built in 1879 of Bermuda limestone and periodically refurbished, it still serves as a beacon for mariners. Its fixed while light enabled navigators to take cross bearings with the flashing beacon emitted by Gibb's Hill lighthouse in Southampton Parish. The object of the lighthouse was to defeat the activities of the local wreckers and salvagers who would put lights in other locations to lure ships onto the reefs. When the lighthouse defeated their illegal activities, they became fishermen and excellent pilots.

LIGHTS CHARACTER REMARKS
St. David's Island Lighthouse
32° 21.8'N 64° 39.1'W Fixed red and green sectored light below a group flashing white (2)every 20 secs.
Red sector:

* 135°T-221°T
* 276°T-044°T
* 044°T-135°T

Green Sector:

* 221°T-276°T

(Bearings from seaward)
Height 212 ft. Range - red and green
sectors 20 miles. White flashing light 15 miles.

Between 044°T-135°T both lights partially obscured by land.

Formerly all white, the lighthouse is now painted white with a broad red band in the center. The keeper's house is occupied by resident caretakers. The tower is open daily May through September It is operated/managed by the Bermuda Department of Marine and Ports Services.

From the lighthouse's balcony, 208 feet above sea level, there are panoramic views.

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

by grandmaR

Since I love looking at lighthouses, I thought that one thing I might do while I was in Bermuda was to visit Gibbs Lighthouse. But it didn't work out that way this time at least partly because there is some walking to do to get to it if you don't take a taxi.

Although the lighthouse can be seen by ships from 40 miles away (it is still active although it was damaged in Hurricane Fabian), the closest that I got was on the ferry. That's something that I have had to put off until next time.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to climb the 185 steps (probably not), but I thought we might have tea there. They also have a gift shop.

By Bus From Hamilton:

Take Bus # 7 which will take you via South Shore past the Fairmont Southampton Princess Hotel. Leave the bus at the Henry IIIV restaurant bus station. From there it is a 5 - 10 min walk to the lighthouse.

Hours:
7 days a week 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Closed for the month of February In the decade before the lighthouse was constructed, a total of 39 vessels were wrecked off the Western end of the islands - the reefs extend some 16 miles or more out to sea.

The Bermuda Attractions website says:

Constructed in 1844 the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is the oldest cast iron lighthouse in the world. The hill on which the lighthouse stands is 245 feet high while the lighthouse itself measures 117 feet. A 1,000 watt bulb sits inside a lens revolving in a trough of 1,200 pounds of mercury. The light beam it emits can be seen .. from a distance of 120 miles by a plane flying at 10,000 feet.

Most of Bermuda, including South Shore Park, Hamilton, the Fairmont Southampton hotel and the Great Sound, can be seen from the top of the lighthouse. Between late February and May you may also spot whales migrating to their summer feeding grounds

Note: The reason for using cast iron in those days was that steel couldn't be bent.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member joljbyrne

We recently visited Bermuda (July 23rd to 26th) for a wedding and stayed at the Southhampton Fairmont, which we found to be mediocre at best for the price they charge. However, we had wanted to stay at the Reefs, but when we called to made a reservation, they said there was a 5 night minimum. The price seems reasonable at the Reefs as it includes breakfast and dinner. We paid over $500 at the Fairmont for room only! Our friends who were also attending the wedding were able to book The Reefs at the last minute and they let them stay 3 nights. The wedding was held at the Reefs at Caso's Point overlooking the ocean. It was spectacular and the staff from what we could see were gracious and very accomodating to all the guests. The reception was held in a private conservatory off the dining room and the food and service was excellent. They have live music each night which is a lot of fun. We ate again at the Reefs the following night on the terrace under the stars with the ocean as a backdrop and once again everything was top notch. This made us even more disappointed not to be staying there. The beach looked lovely and they had a small infinity pool. Bermuda is an expensive island, but it is beautiful. If we go back, I will definitely stay at the Reefs.

Spectacular

I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. Everything was a 15 on a scale of 1-10. Attentive staff, incredible food, and beautiful views. Don't waste time looking anywhere else - stay at the Reefs.

Don't go there

The Reefs, don't go there. We want to keep it to ourselves. We have been to the Reefs eight times in the past eight years and would not stay anywhere else in Bermuda. The staff, the food, the rooms, the grounds are all spectacular. So, please don't go there, we want to make sure that there is enough room for us to return.

Loved it!!

My husband and I went to the Reefs for our honeymoon earlier this month. We are still wishing we could be back there. What we loved about the Reefs was it's size and service. It is a smallish resort where you truly feel a guest and not just a number. Service was outstanding. Staff made an effort to get to know us and made us feel welcome. My husband is a chef here at home and could not get over how outstanding the meals were each night. The beach is gorgeous with snorkeling and kayaking right at your fingertips. The views and surroundings are just stunning. We felt so comfortable at the Reefs and can't wait to go back. We highly recommend it. We did the Romance package and it was worth every penny.

The only area we would say we weren't completely satisfied with was the La Serena spa. The service was not very accomodating or helpful. So we just skipped that this trip.

Look no further!!!

My family and I just returned from our vacation at The Reefs, and wish we were still there. We spent 5 wonderful nights in one of The Reef's cottages. Everything was superb including the environment, the staff, the food, the nightly entertainment and the various amenities. If you want a place to stay where you will immediatly feel at home, this is the place. Not only was all the staff friendly, but all the guests were as well. The views from our cottage, from The Terrace and the pool are to die for. You can not go wrong if you choose The Reefs. We know where we will be staying during our next Bermuda vacation. I can not wait to return!!

WYNDHAM RENOVATIONS AFFECT "THE REEFS"?

by LSTETLER

WE ARE LOOKING TO TRAVEL TO BERMUDA MID OCT. 2007 FOR OUR 10TH ANNIVERSARY AND SO FAR OUR FAVORITE RESORT IS THE REEFS. WE WOULD LIKE SOMETHING ROMANTIC ON THE BEACH YET INCLUDE AT LEAST BREAKFAST AND DINNER AT THE RESORT AND WE HAVE FOUND THIS AT THE REEFS BUT WE HAVE READ THEY ARE COMPLETELY RENOVATING THE WYNDHAM WHICH MAY BE RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE REEFS. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE IT IS IN ADJACENT TO THE REEFS AND HOW FAR APART THEY ARE AND OF COURSE IF THEY THINK THIS WILL IN ANYWAY AFFECT OUR TRIP. IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO STAY WE WOULD LOVE IT!

Resorts in Bermuda

by Alanna1122

My Husband and I are planning a vacation in September and are considering going to Bermuda. (we are in boston and are super tempted by the short flying time) We really love large swimming pools , an abundance of frosty drinks and must have very easy beach access with the ability to swim in the ocean... When i started browsing hotels I noticed that a lot seem to have really sort of small pools... and don't make clear whether they are beach front... does anyone have any special suggstions for us? or should we look into other places?

Re: Resorts in Bermuda

by gcmm

AS far as i can remember most of the pools are smaller( not like the one at the playa tambor, Costa rica-see page)..
We have been there a couple of times, and While Bermuda is such a great place it is very!!!!! Expensive...The major hotels, Sonesta,the prinecess(both) ,elbow beach etc are on the water and the beaches are great,again very expensive..
Bermuda is such a beatiful place,very relaxing,great friendly people and top notch service...You can do the island in a day renting a scooter...
i quess it depends on what you want to do,and spend...
i have other suggestions..
Greg

by Seabiscuit

Greg is absolutely correct! There are some really cool pools, though, the one at The Reefs (South Shore) is awesome (*really* awesome). The Reefs is beachfront. However, if you don't *insist* having drinks with you, John Smith's Bay is (sometimes) somewhat secluded, and looks like a big pool. Grotto Bay (on the Airport side of the causeway has a very nice pool, and some really cool coves (on the beach) to explore.

A majority of Guest Homes & B&B's won't be beachfront, and, yes, little pools. If nothing else, I can call my Friend Denis (who has a large pool at his home), and let him know you're coming. His house is across from Shelley Bay. ;o)
Jeff-
(He keeps a large stock of Rum available). (grin)

by Seabiscuit

I lied... sorry... Grotto Bay is across the causeway from the airport, right hand side as you drive (ride) down North Shore. If you pass the Swizzle Inn, you've gone too far.

Alanna-
To answer your question about large pools (or lack thereof), the US military base (North East of the Airport - where Clearwater Beach is), took the Islands only desalinization plant with them when they left. Since water (fresh) is a premium, large pools didn't make much sense (and the beach is almost always just a few minutes away). The Government is, in fact, running city water up along northshore (last I looked, they had made it up to Limehouse Lane). Evaporation of large pools during the summer just doesn't make financial sense. (It's also why finding a car wash on the Island will never happen).
Jeff-

Is Bermuda a good chioce for us?

by doreenq

My husband & I are deciding whether to take our daughter, son-in-law and year-old granddaughter on a cruise to Bermuda or the Caribbean in June. We've been to different islands in the Caribbean, but never to Bermuda. I have heard that Bermuda is a beautiful island and am anxious to visit, but I have a few questions. Are there a lot of things to do there for young adults? Are there many places to snorkel? Do the beaches have shady areas? My husband has had skin cancer and he needs to stay out of the sun between swims.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Re: Is Bermuda a good chioce for us?

by twistyhair

Hi Doreen -

Please forgive this lonnnnngggg reply. Bermuda is about my favorite place on the planet. I have visited Bermuda many times including last summer. There are definitely lots of activities for young adults and snorkeling is wonderful. If you are cruising to the island, you probably won't have a lot of time to explore all of the lovely little beaches, so you may want to focus on those that are known to offer better snorkeling. The most popular beach on the Western side of the island is Horseshoe Bay. There is no natural shade, but there is a concession stand that rents umbrellas. John Smith's Bay which is east of Hamilton (town) is a lovely little beach, not frequented by many tourists and which has great snorkeling. It is also just below a grove of trees - cedar I think - that provide excellent shade.

For activities for your young adults, I'd recommend renting a Boston Whaler for a day (small, motorized rowboat) to explore the island or going up to Dockyard. At Dockyard, you can shop, visit the Dolphins and the Snorkel Park, arrange for a parasailing experience or take the ferry across to St. George's for an afternoon of exploring a charming town which maintains much of the architecture from the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Hamilton has a pretty active nightlife if that's what your daughter and her husband are looking for, with a variety of nightclubs. I prefer to catch live, local bands and they perform pretty much each weeknight at the Veranda Room (Elbow Beach Hotel), The Reefs and other hotel clubs.

Comments