The Glendenning

331 Grafton St, Charlottetown, C1A 1L9, Canada

More about Charlottetown

Olde Dublin Pub & Claddagh Oyster HouseOlde Dublin Pub & Claddagh Oyster House

Quartermaster Marina in Charlottetown PEI CanadaQuartermaster Marina in Charlottetown PEI Canada

Generally not the view of a canon you want to seeGenerally not the view of a canon you want to see

Queen Street in downtown CharlottetownQueen Street in downtown Charlottetown

Travel Tips for Charlottetown

Charlottetown Jazz Festival

by fairy_dust

The first-ever jazz festival in Charlottetown was in July 2005, and it lasted for a weekend. Part of Queen Street was closed off because the festival tent was in the middle of the street, and most of the bars in downtown Charlottetown had jazz bands playing there in the evenings. The festival was a big success and will probably be back next year too.

Sims Corner

by Canuck5 about Sims Corner Steakhouse and Oyster Bar

I ate here in October, 2007. Service and atmosphere were great.

The entrée prices range from Angel Hair Pasta from $13.95, to a 16-oz T-bone steak for $34.95. The Cedar Planked Salmon I had went for $19.95 I had the Cedar Planked Salmon on my visit, and I wasn't disappointed.

Charlottetown

by Canuck5

Charlottetown is the capital city of the island Province of Prince Edward Island, with a population of about 32,000. It is the largest of the two main cities on the island, the other being Summerside, which has a population of about 14,000.

The population of PEI itself is about 138,000.

A recent study found that residents of Charlottetown were the third happiest in the country, behind Saint John, NB (1st) and Quebec City, QC (2nd). This study, sponsored by the Canadian Inst. for Advanced Research and released through the Univ. of British Columbia, was based on almost 100,000 responses to StatsCan's Ethnic Diversity Survey of 2002 and the General Social Survey of 2003.

The CCSA Conference hosted in Charlottetown

by fairy_dust

"The Conference"

The CCSA (Canadian Catholic Students' Association) conference is held annually in different regions of Canada, and the Atlantic conference was hosted by the University of Prince Edward Island in Charlottetown this year. A few of my friends were involved in the planning committee, and I attended the weekend-long conference. There were students there from many universities in the Atlantic region - St. FX, Dalhousie, Acadia, Memorial, UNB, etc.

"Where We Were"

Accomodations for those from away was at the Rodd Royalty Inn in Charlottetown. Our venues for events were St. Dunstan's Basilica, the Holy Redeemer Parish Hall, and the UPEI Chaplaincy Centre. Since I live in Charlottetown, I slept at home, but I did hang out in the hotel with the crew.

"Friday Evening"

I arrived at St. Dunstan's on Friday Evening, and there weren't that many people there yet. Just the organizing team and two people from the University of Toronto. But then the groups from the different Atlantic universities came, and we had some ice-breakers and social time to meet everyone and make friends. Each university did a presentation to introduce themselves, the planning committee did a funny skit, and then Neal and Jason (from the planning committee) hosted a round of trivia. In between events, we sang and danced to the guitar stylings of Dekota (from St. FX) and friends.

It was then that I heard the funniest song ever - War of 1812 by Arrogant Worms. The chorus is the best - And the white house burned, burned burned... and we're the ones that did it! It burned, burned, burned...

"Saturday Night"

Saturday night was a big hit. We had supper at the Holy Redeemer Parish Hall, and then we had another lecture and the talent show. In the show, the St. FX group sang "Barrett's Privateers" - typical Nova Scotians! Leanne (St. FX) and I did a tap dance, Dekota (St. FX) and Terence (UPEI) dressed in drag, and we also had some bands playing Celtic music. We danced all evening and had a blast.

Comments