HIMosquito Creek

Highway 93, c o PO Box 1358, Banff, T1L 1B3, Canada

More about Banff

Parks headquarter'sParks headquarter's

Arrow MotelArrow Motel

Balkan, The Greek Restaurant, Banff.Balkan, The Greek Restaurant, Banff.

French toast at The Bison Restaurant & Lounge.French toast at The Bison Restaurant & Lounge.

alpine b & b

by guod7

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion regarding Alpine B & B ? The price seems great but the lack of photos and reviews on it makes me a bit unsure?
Doug
Guod7@yahoo.com

Re: alpine b & b

by Tricky_Dicky69

Hi Doug, I can't answer this question but as an alternative we stayed at The Caribou Lodge and would go back again. They give you a free ticket for the bus which stops outside and goes down to the main street or you can walk it in about 15 - 20 minutes. We got a great rate through Canadian Affair.

Travel Tips for Banff

What to see in Banff??

by blush

I drove from Calgary to Banff last August, and I have a couple tips for you. One thing I wasn't aware of prior to my trip - - Banff is a town within the boundaries of the National Park. Just past Canmore is the entrance to the Park, where you pay a daily fee for entrance. Since I was going to be there four days, I paid at that time for 4 days fees. (I think it was approximately $9 per day)

My first full day in Banff, I took two half day bus tours - - - to get a feel for the area and see where I would want to explore more on my own. The morning tour was the Banff area, the Hot Springs, Lake Minnewanka, and various points where you could stop and get good photos of the scenery.

Since I was doing the two tours, the tour company provided a complimentary lunch at the Spaghetti Factory - - and it was a FULL lunch, including dessert. Probably worth $15-20

The afternoon tour was to Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, which were about an hour north of Banff. At each of those stops, they dropped us off and said to be back at the bus in about an hour - - so we could explore a little on our own. The parking lots were so full, I was glad that the bus dropped us off (and I didn't have to seek a parking space).

So my second day, I took the Banff Gondola up to the mountaintop. From there, you could walk a boardwalk up to the next mountain and get some wonderful views.

My third day was totally on my own, based on what I had seen from the tours.

I didn't have the time to get up to Jasper. I wished I had more time in the Banff area.

Enjoy your trip! I have several fond memories of Banff.

One is the visitor lookout spot called "Surprise Corner". You walk up about 30 steps to a wooden deck area that's probably about 50 feet square, with built in benches around 2 sides. From the one side is the wonderful view of the huge Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. I was introduced to this spot from the bus tour I had taken.

A couple days later, I returned to Surprise Corner, with my camera and a book. I took some photos, and then sat on the bench reading for a couple hours. Totally relaxing, peaceful.

What was funny was that maybe every 20-30 minutes or so, a tour bus would come by - - a bunch of people would come up to the deck, ooh and aah and snap a bunch of photos, and then go back to their bus.

but I stayed, and enjoyed the peace between those tourist groups.

Wildlife is a common sight in and around town

by zrim

Elk and deer have the run of the town. It is easy to spot the elk in the mornings and evenings as they find grazing along the sides of the road, in a park or on the Banff Springs golf course. We were lucky enough to see a mother elk and her yearling which was quite insistent about getting some milk from mom.

Banff Ave Under Repair, Will Soon Blossom

by Mikebb

Banff Ave is always a busy place during the tourist season, this is where the majority of the fashion and jeweller shops are located, restaurants and bars abound and it is the ideal place to have a coffee and watch the world go by.

When we visited mid June, 2007 the main street was being torn apart as the road was being reconstructed and a street beautification plan being implemented. Driving along or crossing the main street was certainly difficult and somewhat dangerous, however the end result will benefit both tourists and local people. The work is expected to be completed late 2007.

Enjoy the snow

by Sharrie

Enjoy the snow... I know, I know, for most people in the Northern Hemisphere that's the understatement of the year. I've lived in Toronto for 3 full years & I understand your feeling. But, amazingly, I was able to appreciate the snow here. Guessed absence does makes the heart fonder!

Picnic!

by Sharrie

PICNIC! Wow, thanks to our resourceful guide, we were able to enjoy this magnificent scenery, wonderful weather & have the time of our life! I've never had a picnic in front of a lake since I was a kid! & we had the entire lakeview all to ourselves!
Fantastic!!!