217 Lynx St., Banff, Alberta, T1L 1A7, Canada
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Banff

Two Jack LakeTwo Jack Lake

Arrow Motel Room 403Arrow Motel Room 403

Balkan, The Greek Restaurant, Banff.Balkan, The Greek Restaurant, Banff.

Grouse Mountain Gondola, BanffGrouse Mountain Gondola, Banff

Summer in Banff

by kyleaz

Hi we are looking for several cheap places to stay in the Banff area for July or August of 2010. We are older and don't mind the property not being 5 star, 2 would work fine. Could someone give me an idea what we are going to have to pay. We are retired and I would like to start planning our trip.
kyle

by bioguru2010

In banff there are many places to visit that are just gorgeous. It all depends what you are in to. Last year for instance I went to johnson canyon because I wanted to do a bit of hiking through the mountains, the trails are amazing, well taken care of, and the scenery is great. I have set up a blog on hub pages if you want to take a look at what my trip looked like.

www.hubpages.com/hubs/re-born-in-the-rockies

If you are more into relaxing you might want to look up some of Banff's hot springs. They have a few in Banff.

If you are willing to take the journey, 4 hours west of Edmonton there is Jasper Provincial Park. As nice as Banff is Jasper is even nicer in term of scenery. Either way you can not go wrong with either choice.

Best of luck, and Bon Voyage!

by GrumpyDiver

Banff is rather expensive. I suggest you look at locations outside of the park itself. We haven't been there in a few years, but we stayed in Harview Heights, which is just outside of the park boundary, because it was a lot less expensive than staying in the park itself. Canmore is nearby too.

by GrumpyDiver

Oops - try that again: Harvie Heights

by yvr

Cheap is not a word that is used in Banff or the surrounding area, be prepared to pay at least CAD$150.00 and up, the closer you are to the park the more expenisve it will be.

by sdcatraveler

There is a hostel and campgrounds nearby if that is an option for you.

by MikeM2

Look at Canmore

As mentioned above - we stayed at Canmore - great self catering unit - much less expensive than Banff - and only a short drive (20 mins?) away and in beautiful setting

by kyleaz

Mike,
Hi, what is a great self catering unit ? I have never heard of the term. Could you give me an idea of the cost?
Kyle

by MikeM2

Self Catering Unit - I had to look this up for the North American equivalent - some hotels simply say 'kitchens' and other 'efficiency units'

I hope that covers it ... where we stayed was on the right side of the road in Canmore as you travel from Calgary to Banff - sorry I can find the name of the place (it was approx 10 years ago and my records were shredded)

I like a simple breakfast - cereal and coffee - is all I need and these units allow me to do my own thing - sometimes especially of the porch has a nice view I will get my evening meal from a supermarket and relax on the porch watching the sun go down ..

by guod7

Hi
I also have/had the same concern. Here is a link to a site for folks who rent out rooms in their homes. Prices are much more in line with reality. Book quickly though.

doug

by Mikebb

During June 2007 we had a week at the Rocky Mountain Resort, Banff township. It was nice but we had a time share exchange. I would think it would be reasonably priced. Details on my Banff page and I think the tip contains a web page link.
Feel welcome to check out my Banff, Canmore and Lake Louise pages, yjey should give you an idea of what attractions are available.

Mike

Travel Tips for Banff

My first visit to Banff

by Carmanah

We stayed in Banff for a couple of nights back in the summer of 1993. We had arrived from Revelstoke and were on our way Calgary. It was two weeks before I started my first year of high school and my yellow Sony Walkman was tuned into U2's latest album, Zooropa. Those were the times.

My fading memories of Banff include walking around exploring souvenir shops selling mostly Canadiana items that were totally unrelated to Banff, like maple syrup or Anne of Green Gables dolls. I also remember stepping into a gift shop that only sold native-inspired clothing and gifts like moccasins, little Indian dolls, and fringe leather jackets. I vividly remember the smell of smoked leather. And then there were the shops displaying Japanese signs and tourism literature everywhere. Evidently, the Japanese played a large role in Banff's tourism market at the time. I wonder if it's still like that?

I've been meaning to go back to Banff, but I haven't got around to it. I know I'll get back there in the near future... it's just a matter of money and time.

Information on Banff National Park is everywhere.

by Waalewiener

There is information on the Banff National Park just about everywhere ,and here is some information on ,or near Banff Avenue
about close to the bridge.near the Museum Building that is close for renovations.
The information is all about what this great Park has to offer.

CASCADE MOUNTAIN

by LoriPori

Obviously the most dramatic feature of Banff is the wonderful views of CASCADE MOUNTAIN.
The name of this landmark peak was given by James Hector in a translation of the Native name meaning "mountain where the water falls" referring to the cascade on its southeastern face.

MOUNT ROBSON

by Sharrie

See the icy crown of MOUNT ROBSON, also know as the Mountain of the Spiral Road, is the highest of the Canadian Rockies, at 3954 m! Enticing! Look at the alpine landscape of Mount Robson! Aren't they gorgeous?

First Nations Cultural Dance

by Mikebb

Walking through Banff Town early evening we came across some First Nations people demonstrating some of their dance culture. They were dressed in full traditional costume, the ladies looking beautiful and the young men handsome.

A considerable crowd gathered to watch the demonstration which took 20 minutes and was well worth the time. The dance program was repeated each half hour and the organiser told us all donations were put towards training young children in an attempt to survive the traditional culture.

Comments